Science in the K-12 Schools


Uploaded by CSUNAcadTech on 14.10.2012

Transcript:
Good afternoon everyone.
The calendar says October --[laughter]-- step outside, would you?
Here it's like warm and windy summer. For me it seems like never ending Indian summer
that started in all the way with my trip back to India.
We have some wonderful conversations ahead of us today
but I want to set up the stage.
I started my morning
at the Pasadena Convention Center
speaking to a group of highschool councilors about STEM.
Why is STEM important? What is the significance of STEM.
How was this going to change the situation? How are we going to solve the problems ahead of us
whether it's family, climate change, health care, fast change?
Which STEM means, and you in the audience here have many of whom are intimately involved
with our education, all the way from K12 through the university,
play a huge role in STEM education.
So literally, about 6 months ago and that was,
Michael and I, who might just got here from College of Education were at this panel discussion,
Michael totally may have fun but we were before sea of deans, on this on this island,
speaking about K-12 and the importance of science education.
And how it is being transformed in the future.
So out that came this idea of inviting our keynote speaker today,
very distinguished speaker, Dr. Ioannis Miaoulis, who's the President and Director of the Museum of Science at Boston.
Dr. Ioannis has a very distinguished academic career.
He was Dean of the School of Engineering at Tufts University, Associate Provost, Interim Dean of the University's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences,
as well as Professor of Mechanical Engineering.
Very innovative educator, let me read you a line from his bio.
At Tufts University, he created courses based on students',
and his own,
passion for fishing and cooking, a fluid mechanics course from the fish's point of view
and Gourmet Engineering, where students cook in a test kitchen, explore heat transfer, and eat their experiments.
[laughter]
Intellectually.
Dr. Miaoulis has a dream of scientific and technological literacy for everyone.
He has a program that established a museum
called the National Center for Technological Literacy.
He has a program for engineering in elementary
that's focusing on how engineering applications, day to day applications that they see.
The National Academy of Engineering calls change the current conversation,
how do we encourage young people these days
to get into these principles that would also make a difference.
Engineering is fundamental to human activity.
Engineering is intrinsic to trends of the present day.
Engineering is intrinsic for the transportation systems that we take for granted,
of houses, in the United States.
Other brilliant examples of art
and that as well, I think we should focus on.
It's a new challenge from the education perspective, from the Engineering perspective
and I can't think of a better person, an ambassador for K12, than Dr. Ioannis Miaoulis.
So not much ado, I'd like to introduce Dr. Ioannis Miaoulis.
[ Applause ]
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Thank you, thank you. Thank you very much.
Is this on? Yes.
So, before I start, let me
tell you a story about one of those [inaudible] sorry I keep thinking my mic is up here. Is
this better?
>> Yes.
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Okay. So, I was still back at Tufts and I had just became Dean of Engineering
in 1992. And one of my first fundraising projects is to approach some of the major donors of
school of engineering, to donate money to redesign a classroom, like a little bit bigger
than this. To make it the state of the art auditorium. So I raised a lot of money. And
we made, what used to be and probably the most state of the art facility in Boston for
the academic auditorium. And this is the first time we used this lapel microphones. And we're
very excited. The room was packed during the opening of the auditorium with distinguished
alums and donors. And the president was there, the provost was there. And we wired our speaker,
our keynote speaker, who is a distinguished alum. And then we're preparing to start the
whole ceremony for the dedication of the auditorium which was going to be named after my predecessor,
Fred Nelson, who is the dean before me. What we did not know is no matter where you are,
when you wear one of these around the building, everybody can hear what you say. [Laughter]
So, we wired the speaker and the speaker went to the bathroom. It's worse than what you
think [laughter] It's worse. So, we heard him speaking but of course we had no idea
where he was. Until we heard his conversation with his buddy, Joey, that he hasn't seen
since the fraternity times at Tufts. [Laughter] So, a part of me were standing next to each
other in the bathroom. "Hey, Joey! I haven't seen you in years! You look great. Oh, It's
so nice to be here. What a beautiful facility! Tufts is changing...Did you see Billy?" He
said, Joey said, "Oh, I haven't seen Billy." "Oh, you cannot miss him. He's sitting in
the front row. He has gained so much weight. He looks like a pig." [Laughter] Of course
Billy was standing right in front of me and he was [chuckle] so after that time I have
been very careful not to turn it on, turn it off, take it off; whenever I give talks
[laughter]. So, thank you for giving me the opportunity to be here today. And basically,
I'm just going to take about half hour to tell you my story, and why I left the academia
and why I went to the museum and all that. So, I came don't be confused by my Boston
accent actually I [laughter] came from Greece to study engineering. Actually I started my
studies at Tufts. And as you can imagine a lot of things surprised me when I came to
the U.S. One of the things that surprised me the most is how little people understood
about what engineering is and what engineers do. In Europe, where I came from, everybody
knows what engineers do. Actually the smartest kids compete to get into the engineering school.
This is one of the most competitive programs to get in when you finish high school, are
the engineering programs. Here, there is general confusion about what engineering is and what
engineers do because people that drive trains are called engineers. People that repair stuff
are called engineers. Not too long ago, I was with my kids. Actually it was in Los Angeles,
about two years ago. And we came from vacation and we checked into hotel and the toilet was
clogged. And my daughter comes says "Dad, the toilet is clogged. What do I do?" I said,
"We'll call downstairs and they'll send somebody up." So, she calls downstairs and then she
hangs up. She says, "Ha ha ha , daddy engineer is going to come unclog the toilet." [Laughter]
because that's what they told her. So, I started building a passion filled by anger, to figure
out a way to make engineering more understood in this country. And do it in a way that would
be attractive for both boys and girls to consider engineering as a career. The second part of
the passion, which is really what, it was a responsible moment of me being here today,
happened by me literally taking a wrong turn driving. I had gotten my first appointment
at Tufts University as a beginning Assistant Professor middle '80s. And bought our first
house, which is about 25 miles from Tufts. And I was trying to figure out the better
way to drive from home to work. You know, looking for shortcuts like everybody does.
Then I made a mistake. And instead of taking a left turn, I took at a right turn and ended
update at a dead end, which happened to be the neighborhood middle school. Now, at that
point I had no interest in K 12 education. I was a beginning Assistant Professor. I was
doing some cool research on super conducting materials. I had the brilliant group of undergraduates
and graduate students working with me, we're making great progress. No wait I didn't have
children then. So, I ended up at the dead end, which is the middle school parking lot.
And as I was looking to get out of their parking, but I heard we made this really cool super
conducting materials in the labs as many of you may remember. These were the ceramic materials
that you could dip in liquid nitrogen and put them back. Then the bag would float up
in the air and was like magic. They were wonderful. And I thought this is a cool thing to show
the kids. So I got out of the car and I talked to the principal of the school, who invited
me to meet with an eighth grade science teacher. So I met the eighth grade science teacher,
who was a nice older gentleman, who invited me to go to talk to the kids the following
Friday. So I spent quite a bit of my time during the week with my research students
to build experiments, hands on activities, so the kids would understand the physics behind
these cool materials. So here I am. I'm giving my talk. And in front of me there was a little
blonde girl with frizzy hair. These are eighth graders. And frizzy hair and she was intense,
she was keeping notes with everything I had to say. And it was cool for me because I went
to an all-boys school in Greece, a K 12. So, it's the first time in co-ed environment,
you know, for the younger children. And this is relevant to the story. So, at the end of
my talk I noticed the teacher was bringing toward me three boys. These boys he had introduced
them to me as his science boys. And as they are approaching me, the little girl that was
keeping all the notes, gets up, looks at them coming toward me, cuts right in front of them
and tells me "Dr. Ioannis Miaoulis, I would like you to help me with my science fair project."
Now, I hadn't signed on to help anybody with their science fair project. I was there to
give my talk and get out of there and that's it. But you know, what do you do? So I wanted
to be polite so I started listening to what she had to say. And the moment we started
talking, the teacher comes and pushes me aside and whispers into my ear "Do not waste your
time with her; she'll become nothing in science. Why don't you work with my science boys, these
are my stars." And folks this is the time that redefined my whole mission in life and
education. This is what started my interest in K 12. I started working with a school volunteering;
and with a teacher. We started getting grants. We started with a first grant, which was $4,000
from the Parent Teacher Association. Then we applied for some Eisenhower money. I don't
know if you remember this, but they're state grants. So, these were tens and thousands
of dollars, we got those. Then I got the wonderful grant from The Putry Double Trust [phonetic],
like half a million dollars to do anything I want in the K 12 education because they
thought what we were doing there was really cool, which was an amazing grant. Then money
came from NSF. Over the years, I brought in about two million dollars for a middle school
that had sixty kids per year. So we had the most awesome science laboratories in junior
level, there is, probably in the world in this lab. In the meantime, I started engaging
some of my colleagues that started having kids, you know, we're all sort of youngish
then. And in the beginning this is in K through 12 education. And that started the whole K
12 outreach program at Tufts, which is a big operation. Then in 1992,'93 I was appointed
Dean of the school. And as much as the Dean can call the shots, I started influence the
colleagues and made this K 12 outreach one of the major things that the Tufts School
of Engineering, now school of engineering was doing. And we're doing very well. We're
raising millions of dollars a year doing but the traditional science heritage; bringing
teachers for professional developing, enhancing traditional science disciplines. And in 1995,
it's quite few years later, we invited a major philanthropist. Brilliant engineer. When I
say brilliant, 200 partners, including things like the anode to digital converter, he invented.
And the fetal monitoring machine, the portable cat scanner. Very wealthy, very brilliant
and very disciplined, which sort of goes in the package most times [laughter]. And [chuckles]
so, here we invite him to lunch and my boss, the provost was there. Was one of my major,
my first big tasks. And the task was to fund the K 12 science outreach program and name
it. So that we could have funding every bit through it, so that we don't have to go chasing
grants constantly. So, here we are at the lunch and Chris Rogers was my colleague, he's
still at Tufts. He was making the pitch. And Chris said, "Bernie. Bernie's the name of
the donor. Bernie would like to help us with us because science is a discipline that teaches
the kids how the world around them works." So, Bernie looks at Chris, said "What do you
say?" Said that "Science is a discipline that teaches the kids about how the world around
them works." So Bernie gets up, it's before the lunch was served, says "Really. You think
that's what science does in K 12?" Chris, of course with a big smile says "Yes." And
Bernie bangs his hand on the table and leaves the room. You can imagine the panic. Here
the provost was looking at me like what's going on. I was looking at Chris. The fingers
were pointing in all the different directions. So that evening, Chris and I went out for
dinner and drinks to figure it all out. And we started playing back the whole conversation
and really what annoyed Bernie who just left was the statement that "Science teaches the
kids about the world around them and how it works." And then Chris goes to me, "So what's
wrong with that?" I said, "Well Chris, well the answers. Just look at the world around
you and think of what we teach in science in K 12. And tell me how many things that
we teach in science in K 12 have anything to do about the world around us." And then
he says "What do you mean?" I said "Well, what's the curriculum like? -- Rocks, bugs,
fresh water, maybe also seed life, human body, physics principles, chemicals reactions; all
about the natural world. All about the natural world. Dinosaurs or rain forest. Almost nothing
about the human made world." Anyone who lived around us at the restaurant, we said "Okay,
let's take out everything human made, and see what's left here." So let's do this right
now. If we take everything that's human made, which is not part of the curriculum. Remember
the science curriculum is all about the natural world, what would not be here? What would
not be here? Anybody wants to start? If we take everything human made out? What would
be here? If you want, that's more easier.
>> Air.
>> Air? And that wouldn't be the same air. The one thing in Florida, Florida is human
made. The dirt. The dirt would be here, would we be here? Some of us, most of us wouldn't,
because that's from pharmaceuticals and water purification system, the life expectancy is
about 27.[laughter] But it's not part of the curriculum, and then we said, "This is crazy."
This is crazy. Why do we focus 98% of the science curriculum on 2% of what's the world
around us is? And why isn't technology the results of the human made world. The human
creation. In engineering the process out of the curriculum. And here's why it's out of
the curriculum. The topics we teach today in K 12 were decided in 1893 by The Committee
of Ten. Actually in Boston, Massachusetts in Cambridge Massachusetts, was at Harvard
University. President Elliot, president of Harvard, was the chairman of the committee.
And ten brilliant man, all men back then. Followed the very rational process to figure
out what's in the curriculum. And what they did, is they looked at what kids learn at
home, the typical home in 1893. What they should know they decided what they should
know when they graduate from high school. To either go to college or to enter work force.
And they filled the gap with biology, chemistry, physics; all this stuff we have now in school,
the disciplines, that the kids were not learning at home. Now, why did they leave technology
and engineering out? 1893, most of the kids were growing up in farms around the [inaudible].
And most engineering was farm engineering, and kids were learning it at home. There was
no need for a separate technology discipline, like you do for biology or mathematics. So
they left it out. And then what happened? When the report was issued, the publishing
companies started publishing text books. And they published the text book, leaving technology
out. And you know how publishing works with text books works. Edition two, equals edition
one plus some pictures. Publisher A copies publisher B. And it all looks the same. Actually,
if you open any science middle school science book, they all look the same. You know, it's
just different kids, but same color kids, same number of kids, same things they are
holding. No matter who the publisher is. So, as technology took off, publishing stayed
the same, engineering was not included in the curriculum. And now we have children spending
endless time learning how many legs a grasshopper has. Or drying leaves between papers to see
the different kinds of leaf structures you have. And they have no idea. People, kids
grow up and have no idea how roads are made, bridges are made, cars work, buildings stand,
planes fly, pens work nothing. And we think it's fine because we didn't learn it either!
And we consider it belittling if you don't dry leaves the same way we do, we do dry leaves
when we're in the military school, but we don't go question kids have no idea what happens
when you turn on the faucet or where the water comes from. You think kids know where the
water comes from? They don't. They think it comes from off the walls, most of the kids.
You know? Yeah, they haven't taught me. So, then we go "This is ridiculous." Instead of
trying to improve how to teach better, 2% of our experience with traditional science;
let's start a new campaign to introduce engineering as a new discipline study in kindergarten.
So, the same way children learn about the inquiry process, how a scientist discovers,
and about the natural world; which they should still learn about the natural world because
it's very important. At the same hand, they learn about the engineering design process
and how an engineer designs, and the results of the engineering design process to technology.
So, they learn both, the natural and the human made world. And I thought "Wow, this is going
to be so cool and so easy to do because it makes all the sense." And I told my senior
colleague, he said "Ha." He goes, "Trying to change the public education curriculum
is harder than moving a graveyard," he said. I remember his words. And I thought "No."
And he was right. It was impossible. It was impossible. So, of course, you know. I'm stubborn
and I didn't give up. So I right away, as I wrote proposals and actually we got some
good money because the foundations and philanthropists thought "This is a really cool idea." But
very few schools were willing to change what they were doing and adopting the curriculum.
So, I was looking for a big big break. And the big break came in 1998. When Massachusetts,
The Board of Education of Massachusetts, decided to rewrite the science standard in Massachusetts.
Massachusetts was one of the very first states to have standards in test standards. Now every
state does. But they want today revamp the science standards. And the commissioner of
education was a friend, called me and said "Ioannis, can you be in the committee to rewrite
the science standards?" And I thought "Ah ha" that's the way to do it. You put engineering
in the standards and you test it. And it's a nasty way to do it, but it's the only way
that it would work to convince teachers to actually teach a new thing. Because they're
over worked and all this stuff, and everybody speculate but this is reality. Unless you
put it in the requirements and the testing, it's not going to be taught. So I told "David",
David Driscoll his name, "I want to be in the committee, but only if you let me introduce
engineering." He said "Well, it's a committee, if you can convince the committee; it's yours
to run with." I said "Deal." It took two and a half years. Two and a half years, the process,
to convince the committee but I did. And here are the five reasons of what I used or run
over, to convince them why engineering is important for K 12. And the first reason is
that technological literacy, understanding how human made world works is basic literacy.
You cannot claim you're a literate citizen if you have no clue how 98% of the things
around you were made and how they are work first argument. Second argument Engineering
is a wonderful discipline to introduce project based learning and problem solving into the
classroom. Because if you think of what engineers do, they start by identifying a need. And
then they put together the math, the science, the art, imagination, social studies issues,
economics to come up with a solution that satisfies the need. In an interactive way
until they find the best solution that's financially feasible. And if you think at an engineering
process in second grade. You can start with a need which could be one of the children
is allergic to animal fur. And there is as bunny rabbit as a pet in the classroom. So
the engineering project would be, designing a habit for the bunny rabbit that would let
the kids enjoy the bunny, but yet the kid that's allergic to the fur doesn't get affected.
Which means let's design something outdoor for the bunny rabbit. And think even at the
second grade level how you can use the math, measurements, calculations. You can use science
skills to understand how the heat travels to hot to cold. Then you need insulation for
the box and area, to have the bunny be comfortable. Art; to make something that's aesthetically
pleasing and matching the environment. And it enables kids with all ability skills and
interest to work in groups to solve the problem that they are really passionate about, like
build a habitat for our bunny so we don't lose the bunny. So the second reason is engineering
pushed together all the disciplines brings them to life and enables kids to engage in
a team based mode in problem solving and project based learning. The third reason, is that
it makes math and science relevant. And of course you're all in the education business,
and you know how delayed elementary, middle school kids primarily get. But also boys lose
interest in science and math and that's not surprising to me because if you look at that
age, kids do things that are relevant to their lives. Themselves and their lives are the
most important thing. And math and science has nothing to do with their lives because
they learn about the rainforest and god knows what they'll never see. And then mathematics
students disconnected by anything they do, so of course they're going to lose interest
in math and science. We don't have to keep writing research paper why they'll lose interest,
it's simple. And believe it or not, when I started this initiative, the biggest enemies
were the science teachers. And I'll never forget. An event in Boston. I had 600 science
teachers in the audience. And I was giving a talk similar to what I'm doing today about
why engineering for children. And in the middle of my talk, a guy gets up and started literally
screaming. And I thought there was something wrong, I thought there's an earthquake or
a fire, you know, who gets up and screams? You give a talk about the education, you know,
it's not like politics. [Laughter] So I stopped and said "Sir, are you okay? What's going
on?" He says, "How do you dare with everything we have in our plate! We cannot even finish
what we have by the end of the year; you're throwing one more thing in. This engineering
thing we don't have time to finish what we do, blah blah blah " said, "Woah, woah, woah,
woah." I said "So, what do you teach?" He says "Sixth grade." "And what do you teach
in sixth grade?" "Earth Science." "And what do you teach now in Earth Science?" He goes
"Volcanoes." [Chuckles]I said "So, how long do you spend teaching the kids about how a
volcano works?" Said "About a month." And then I couldn't resist, I said "So how long
do you spend teaching the kids about how a car works?" Said "We don't teach kids how
car works, that's not science." Then I ask them, "So how often do your kids find themselves
in the volcano compared to a car?" You know? [Laughter] and of course everybody laughs.
By the way, I still see this guy in college, he hates my guts. You know? [Laughter] He
turns around his face, he leaves the room. Now, don't take me wrong. Volcanoes are wonderful
way to teach about plate tectonics, the earth structure; and it should be part of the curriculum.
But don't tell me you can spend a month teaching kids about how a volcano works and cars work
does not fit in the curriculum. And yes, the curriculum is full. But it's full of what?
Things that perhaps were relevant in 1893. Things that teachers don't want to cut because
they're afraid if we cut too much of, this maybe I'll lose my job. Things that were there
for whatever reason since 1893 and nobody has questioned the value of why things are
there. They are there because they are there, and we took them and we did well so everybody
should take them. But if you look, and it's not only for science. Even mathematics. Even
social studies. I learn so many useless thing in my Greek K 12 system, you cannot match.
You know? Memorize stupid things, you know? Endless hours, where I would be learning so
many more useful things about engineering and other things. So anyway, the third reason
was that we push engineering makes math and science relevant because it explains why we're
learning everything else. Let me tell you my Tufts University stories, since most of
you are college people. That problem exist in colleges, too. Okay. So when I first became
the you know when you're a faculty member, you know, you do your research, you're teaching.
You don't really pay attention to how many students transfer from engineering to liberal
arts and this and that. But when you're an administer, you're responsible for this things.
So, all of a sudden I realized we're now used to lose 24% of engineering freshmen class
to liberal arts. And I was like "Oh my god, I didn't realize that." Then I looked at the
statistics, at the scores of the kids that were moving out; 720 Math and 690 English
were their SAT scores and students were transferring out. They had graduated from the top 5% of
the high school class and their GPA, when they transferred out was a B plus average.
So obviously they didn't transfer out because they couldn't do it. So I call Fred Nelson,
the guy that we named editorial apprentice. I said "Fred, we're losing a quarter of the
kids." He goes, "What's your problem?" I said, "What do you mean what's my problem?" He goes
"Well, the other engineering school loses 50% of his class, so you should be proud!"
I was like [chuckles and laughter]. So I did something unimaginable, nobody had done this
before at Tufts. I asked the kids that transferred out, why they transferred out. Nobody had
ever asked them, okay? So we had pizza. And we had focus groups and they came in, and
here's what they said. One after another "We transferred out because we didn't find engineering
interesting." What I had found interesting is that they transferred out before they had
taken engineering. Because what do freshmen take? At Tufts said "Listen, I'm sure here,
too." Math, science, English, maybe a design course or computer course, that's it Okay.
And so kids were taking what they use to take at high school at a higher level. Their roommates
were sitting under trees reading wonderful books. And they figured, you know, well engineering
is not interesting I want to do that too. Poof! They were transferring out. So, how
do you solve the problem? I gathered some of my more better teaching kind of buddies
from the engineering school faculty. And with [inaudible] engineering school, let's teach
engineering freshmen year. But not just move the sophomore engineering course freshmen
year, we're going to lose more of the kids. So, how do we do it? Let's figure out a way
to introduce our passion into the classroom and how to introduce your passion if you teach
about things about what you research or your hobbies? So okay. So we need to insert new
courses that the engineering courses that present our hobbies and research interest.
But then how do you convince tenured faculty member teach freshmen? With a lot of money.
[Laughter] And so, I applied to NSF and got a big grant because NSF wants to solve this
problem of course. They still want to solve this problem. And a big grant to see how this
idea would work. So, I find it 12 of the best faculty members, teaching faculty members,
to develop courses based on their hobbies and interest. And they got some more salary;
they got the graduate student's support, so they did wonderful things with it. Of course
I was the dean, so I had to give the good example. So I developed two courses. And like
I mention, my first course was called Life in Moving Fluids. Which was the fluid we [inaudible]
heat transfer fluid mechanics and [inaudible]. And so it was a course that is all about fluid
mechanics. But the point of view of fish, or a tree, or a living organism. So my laboratory
looked more like a biology laboratory than an engineering laboratory. We have birds,
we have fish, we have wind tunnels, we have liquid tunnels, and we're doing all sorts
of things. Now, one of my favorite moments of the course was when, you know, maple summer
seeds that look like helicopter blades? And do you guys have this tree?
>> Yes.
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Maples here? Yes. So hot today. It's hard for me to believe you have
any living organisms out there living. [Laughter] So one of the lessons I used to teach is how
the maple has evolved; to have a seed behave like a helicopter blade. Because they have
the seed at the end and they have the nice blade. And when the seed ripens, there is
little breeze. The seed gets dislodged and then the seed follows exactly the same motion
as a helicopter blade. And the reason it does that is it wants to propagate as far from
the mother tree as possible because you don't want all the seeds to fall right underneath
shadow of the mother tree. So it's a wonderful example of life and moving fluids. So what
was cool though, is that my course used to be taught right before lunch time. So there
would be hundreds if not thousands of engineering students leaving engineering building to go
to the dining halls, right out of my course. And when it was maple summer season, where
they would be all over the ground, the seeds. I could tell from far away which ones were
my students. Because the typical, you know, the other college kids, you know, you have
the iPhone, whatever, and walk the college walk, you know, like that and talk. And my
kids would pick up the seeds and throw them in the air and everybody thought my kids are
getting stoned in my class, you know? [Laughter] But it was really cool to see that my students
had had on a different lens to see how these things work than their peers. My favorite
course, of course is my cooking course. And that was called Gourmet Engineering. And I'm
passionate about cooking, cooking and fishing. My two big hobbies. But cooking more now because
I don't have much time to go fishing. So, this was a course about heat transfer. Because
when you cook, what do you do? You transfer heat by conduction or convection or radiation,
depending whether you boil, or you bake, or you fry, and all that. So, we would start
in a lecture room and a typical problem we will try to solve is you have is a finite
cylinder of this dimensions and this thermo properties. You start the finite cylinder
at temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit. You put it in the environment at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long would it take for the center line for the cylinder at this point to reach a
temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit? Typical transfer heat conduction problem. Which you
need differential equations to be able to solve it. And kids don't know differential
equations. Most of them freshmen year, so we would start doing the math, they would
get stuck. I would tell them with the math and we would figure out that the temperature
using math and science. It would take about 32 minutes, whatever, to reach the temperature
of 140. Why did they care? They cared because they knew what's happening next. Because the
cylinder was actually a roast. Which starts at room temperature at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
You know how its dimensions and its properties. And you put it in an oven at 350. And why
do you care how long it's going to take its temperature to reach 140, the center line?
Because if you want your roast to be medium rare, that's what the temperature should be.
So all of a sudden, a measurable heat transfer conduction probably becomes a really cool
thing. And we would go to the laboratory after the lecture, which was an amazing laboratory
that Frigid Air and Katherine [phonetic] donated all the stuff I had in there. I had better
pots and pans that I could ever afford to have at home. And we would do the experiments.
Take the roast, put thermo carpos [phonetic], wire thermometers in the roast and put it
in the oven and wait. And it would be dead silence for 35 minutes. Everybody wanted to
see gee, does mathematics really work and of course it works. Maybe it was 32, maybe
it was 35, maybe it was 28. But close enough for everybody to be amazed that this thing
works. And it was fun to hear the stories when the students would go for Thanksgiving,
my total course was for a semester, go home and come back, tell me how they blinded everything
with science at home. You know? They predicted the temperature distribution in the turkey
and this and that. And I would hear stories from the parents, when they would go come
for parents' weekend later on. Now Chris Rogers, my buddy that lost the five million dollars,
I told you before. He's a violinist. And he's a violin mechanic [inaudible] to his course
was called Designing and Performance of Musical Instruments. And it was a course all about
[inaudible] which is mechanics at most part. And as a final project, his students had to
design and build a musical instrument. Each one, different musical instrument. And at
the end of the semester, they had concert. And I used to let them use the faculty lounge,
which was very plush. So everybody would come to stop with an musical instrument, and they
would invite me because I let them use the lounge. And every year the concert looked
beautiful and sounded horrible. So we introduced these courses in 1993, I believe. The first
year the '93,'94, was the first year had just begun take my position. Guess what happened
in [inaudible]? Tufts became, and still is, the only engineering school in the country,
the most students transfer from liberal arts to engineering than engineering to liberal
arts. The graduating class at Tufts is larger than the freshmen class. Because these courses
are opened to liberal arts students. And liberal arts students takes this course instead of
Calculus II. And they get excited. And they transfer into engineering. Especially students
that didn't know what engineering was and are, you know, good in math and science. And
the best retention was women and minority students. I have no idea why, but I took full
credit about it.[chuckles] And it was a great great shift. Was it expensive? Of course.
It was expensive. Is it a labor intensive for the faculty? Of course. Did faculty falter
in the begin? Of course. But when they saw that what happened within moments and how
the department started competing, who's going to have the coolest course to attract students
in their department. And it all went great. Just a little competition doesn't hurt. Doesn't
hurt. So, remember, back to the talk. The third reason which engineering makes math
and science relevant. And it doesn't only work for little kids, it works for big kids
as well, the college students. And it worked very nicely at Tufts. And this relevance issue
is very important to attract and retain the girls and young women in science. Because
as you know, if you look at the disciplines that women are attracted in science, are ones
that the contribution to society to the world is everything. Like, life science majority
women. Medical school students half, 50% women. It's impossible to get into medical schools,
half of them women. Veterinarian schools 85% women. It's harder to get into vet school
than the medical school. Because you spend lots of years with [inaudible] better than
you, you help the animals. Engineering to 12 makes the case of why math and science
could be useful and help the world. And if done well, then it would retain more girls
into the sciences. The fourth reason is careers. Now, we all know that we need more engineers
and a lot of the smart kids to become engineers. Yes, there are quite a few things we can outsource
and maybe we should. But there are some things that either we cannot outsource or we shouldn't.
For example, infrastructure. What keeps the lights running? The roads made? The air clean?
The water clean? You cannot have people abroad doing this stuff, you need engineers here.
You cannot outsource infrastructure. National defense would you feel comfortable if you
import our missiles from other countries and then we use them on demand? Probably not.
And this kind of technology engineering is probably the most advanced engineering possible.
I served with the board at NASA. NASA cannot train people to do their engineering because
by law they have to be U.S. citizens. So it's never going to bring brilliant people that
are not U.S. citizens. So, it's some things that are impossible to outsource. And the
third reason is basic ingenuity. What makes this country so special for people like me
and Ramesh to come and move from other country to study here and stay here. What makes this
place special is this ingenuity, this innovation, this entrepreneurial spirit. That if kids
don't go into engineering, it's just going to disappear. So this is why we need more
engineers. And here's the problem here folks. Seventy-two of U.S. engineers have had a relative
that's an engineer. Simply because workers get their cues [phonetic] is from home, career
guidance counselors and teachers, and TV. And now internet. Career guidance folks, most
of them are clueless about what engineering is. Clueless. During high school, I don't
know if I mention, I don't think I mentioned it to you. I was talking yesterday to somebody.
High school in Massachusetts. Brand new school. And they gave me a tour of the career guidance
office. And beautiful facility. Very nice career guidance person who's running the show
there. I walked right out of the career guidance office, was the janitor's closet with a blue
sign saying "engineering" on it. [Chuckles] The janitor's closet. And if you think that's
funny, if you go to The National Academy of Engineering building in Washington, D.C.,
and you look in their basement it says "engineering" in the closet too. And now they change the
sign because I made enough fuss out of it so they fix it. But this is a problem we're
talking about before. So, career guidance counselors don't guide the kids. Unless you
have a parent, chances are you're not going to go do it because if you look also on TV,
who the heroes are our lawyers, physicians and forensic scientist. [Laughter] you know?
Because forensic scientist is a new one. Because kids think that if you are forensic scientist
you can wear micro mini skirt and a tank top and meet hot guys all day, you know? That's
and work at a morgue at the same time. So kid, I will take forensic science. You know?
That's fine. The kids start going into these fields because of these shows. Engineering?
There's only one engineer on TV, on prime time main channels, anybody knows?
>> The Big Bang Theory.
>> There is a dweeb in Big Bang Theory too that is sort of an engineer. But yes, that
is a newer one. But what is the main one that everybody knows? Homer Simpson.[laughter]
Homer Simpson and the [inaudible] If you think about it like people. Big Bang Theory, if
you look at the main show that a lot of people watch is So, take Homer Simpson. What image
that for engineering? Even the girl, Big Bang Theory, is sort of the nerdy one of the group.
I watch it in the plane, because somebody mention to me I hadn't seen the show. This
is where kids get their clues and the cues. And if you think that's part of TV, people
are making money through TV. NASA [Inaudible] I served on the board of NASA and I was on
the education committee and I keep throwing it at the administrator all the time. Because
NASA, in my mind, is the most advanced, brilliant, engineering entity in the world. They do unbelievable
things. Unbelievable things. NASA and its contractors. Okay. When the first rover went
to Mars, the NASA press release called it "A science miracle." When it broke down a
couple years later, how did they call it? "An engineer error." [Laughter] Fortunately
I made so much fuss publicly that when the rover went up. There's a lot of engineering
talk now if you listen to the thing, you know. But it took about six years on the committee
to get into because that's what kids see, you know? They see an amazing thing to happen,
like rover going to Mars. That's a precious moment to capture some of the kids that are
watching, to see; I can with an engineer and do this amazing thing. If you say it's a science
miracle then engineering error, poof! You miss the chance. And NASA employs 15 engineers
for one [inaudible] scientist. So it's an engineering entity yet it portrays itself
as use to a fortunate and now it's shifting as a science entity. So, the fourth reason
we need engineering in schools is so that all kids know what it is and hopefully get
the brightest ones to consider engineering as a career. The fifth reason, last one. Which
I think you'll enjoy because that's more esoteric. This used to be a boy girl problem. And you
probably have it at your college, too. Probably have a speculate. So when we used to have
engineering design, and this is a little bit further back we did have CAD [phonetic], but
a lot of that was done by paper and pencil. When you would show an object and you dare
students to mentally rotate it and draw it in different sides. During the first test
of engineering design. The boys would typically do better than the girls. And it was amazing
because they came from the same school, they had the same grades. Some of them they would
be brothers and sister. Twins, we had a couple of those. Take first example. Last exam you
couldn't tell the difference. So we knew it was nothing genetic. But it was something
in the preparation of the kids that were coming to college, and the boys would do better than
girls. So I was that curious to see what is it? And we found out a study that was done
in Michigan. Technological University, they found out well, this was a universal phenomenon.
That the reason boys are better than the girls in doing that stuff until they take a course
in design, is because of the toys they play as they grow up. So, I was like, gee, this
is very cool and interesting. I'm going to go to Toys R Us and figure it out because
I have two daughters and they were young then, so I wouldn't have much experience with so,
I went to Toys R Us and I was amazed. Go to Toys R Us or to Target with this in mind and
you will be amazed how toys are made to sharpen the skills for boys and do nothing in this
area for the girls. Boys' toys Legos, Lincoln Logs, K'nex, Erector Sets, BeyBlades. All
three different visualization design, building, problem-solving. Girls' toys My Little Pony,
plastic horse with a fuzzy tail and a comb. [Laughter] Now it's high tech actually, it
has a button. You know the new ones? You push and it says, "I'm a princess. Are you a princess?"
[Laughter] Other toy Barbie's New Challenge. You know what it is? Barbie holding a spatula.
I'm not making them up, I'm just going to look, you know? How do you expect if boys
spend 14 years building, problem-solving. Not to be better than the girls, when they
spend 14 years combing a tail of a plastic horse or changing the cloths of a Barbie in
3 D visualization skills. What's sad now, even more sad, is that now it's a boy and
girl problem. Because how do boys and girls spend their time? Not as much building or
problem-solving. It's like with a [inaudible] and video game in their hands. So, both boys
and girls are losing their whole 3 D visualization skills. And I have two daughters that finally
both of them are becoming or became engineers. But when they were younger, at home, I was
worried because we have a basement at home and we have a nice TV and internet and computer.
They would happily live down there. You throw them some food in the morning [laughter],
you remove their waste in the afternoon and life is good. Why leave the room? You have
TV, you have internet; they don't go out to play. So it's becoming a big problem that
humanity is losing this important skill. So these were the five reasons that I went to
the committee of the board in Massachusetts and pushed. And on December 20th, 2000; Massachusetts
became the first state to not only have engineering in the standards as a separate track like
earth science, life science, physical science, and technology/engineering; but also tested.
But elementary? Middle school and high school no. And then I thought "We're good. Massachusetts
did it. We're going to take over The United States I was wrong again." So for three years,
the [inaudible]they went lower. Because to make it work even in Massachusetts, we needed
partners, partner universities. And you know how good universities are at partnering with
each other not. So, what happened is, the dean's a good friends of mine. You know? Because
we're all together at deans' conferences, we got along perfectly. But when it came to
let's do this engineering in K 12, it was a Tuft Initiative. And no other dean wanted
to do the Tuft Initiative. They wanted to do the Boston University Initiative, the MIT
Initiative, the world of WBI Initiative, but not the Tufts Initiative. So we couldn't form
partnerships. And I was frustrated because everything was going fine. My dream was to
have engineering in K 12 by 2015, and still is and I think it's going to happen. But so,
let me tell you what the change was. Museum of Science. Has anybody been to the Museum
of Science in Boston? It's one of the biggest science centers in the world. We get two million
visitors a year. We're ranked number one for science engineers in the country other than
there is the [inaudible], the Air and Space Museum. But one of the criteria they use is
what do you get for your ticket? And they are free. So, but they are a great museum
anyway. Anyway, so it's a big museum, prestigious museum consider [inaudible] the museum world
as an ivy league. But I love the museum, with my kids were members for years. I never thought
I would work at the Museum of Science. The Museum of Science merged with a computer museum
in Boston, back in the late 90s. And the take is that it used to be in the board of trustees
of the Computer Museum became trustees of the Science Museum. And they walked in the
science museum and they looked around and they said "Wait a minute, this is all about
the natural world. What about the human made world? We want engineering in the museum."
So somebody knew what I was trying to do in schools with engineering. And the search firm
that was trying to find me for president called me up and said "You have been nominated for
the President of Museum of Science. Are you interested?" My immediate reaction was no,
but I wanted to be polite, you don't really need any head hunger [phonetics] because you
never know you may need the job later on. So I wanted to be polite and I said "Well
send me the information." And they sent me the information and I open the envelope, two
days later. And I saw the job description and I was like uh oh this is the place to
go. And then I started realizing, in order to make a big change nationally. To have engineering
accepted as a regular discipline in schools, you have to affect both the general public;
parents, grandparents the general public, and schools. And museums are a great place
to start affecting the general public because you get millions of people going to museums
a year, most of them educated. Caring about education. Caring about their children or
grandchildren. So that's when you can change museums to include engineering and make it
an appealing area. And inspire kids and adults to consider engineering. And then work the
policy aside to include engineering in schools and develop curriculum. So I dropped my tenure.
Dropped my position at Tufts. Everybody was amazed I would leave Tufts, because even my
golden retrievers were maintaining at the Tufts' buildings.[Laughter]they were. Baleur
and Anderson [phonetic]. And nobody thought that Ioannis would ever leave Tufts, at least
until the dogs died. So, Ioannis left Tufts and went to the museum in 2003 and I started
the National Center for Tech. Literacy. See which is an umbrella organization within the
museum. And we do three things we advocate for the introduction of engineering in learning
standards, both at the state level. Because every state has its own standards, so we'll
work with many many states. And at the federal level. The new standards, the next generation
standards, the first [inaudible] and federal standard because we don't want that. But the
next science standards are full of engineering now. And we influence that a lot. Also assessments.
The NATE tests, those of that are in education the last one you get a new science test and
10% is engineering. And we did that and there's going to be a new NATE test starting in 2014,
which assess student performance in technology and engineering. So you do do the assessments.
And also when it comes to funding, I personally met with Duncan twice; the Secretary of Education,
and with his team, my team; many times when they were designing the Race to the Top program
to make sure that engineering and technology are part of the mix of what they would prefer
to fund. So we tried to have no careless mistakes supporting that. So we do a lot of odd work
as you would. I have an office in DC. I travel throughout the country now and all over the
world. Give talks like grad, like special groups. And to form partnerships. Like hopefully
we'll form a partnership with your school. And you have the perfect mix now. You have
the committee dean of education, committee of engineering. That wanted to work together
to make it happen. And frankly, I think it's a great opportunity because nobody in California
has really taken the lead in that yet. I know you have many challenges in the state because
of size, money, this, that but nobody is going to have it that's in the national standard.
You know? So it's a great opportunity. So anyway, that's the first thing we'll do is
I talk. And the second thing we do is perfect a curriculum development. What we realize
is that there wasn't much in books about engineering for young children. Simply because there are
no engineering in K 12. So right now we have become the biggest producer of K 12 engineering
materials in the world. Our books are being used by over three and a half million children
throughout the world. And we weren't planning on that, but we make more money from books
than the museum, now that we make from the [inaudible] theater together. We weren't even
thinking of the money part, it was all a mission. Of course now we get money and we put it back
to the program; we have more more materials. And the third thing we do is professional
development of teachers. And the most common format is train the trainers. So if you folks
are interested, we would have teams that would work with your faculty and staff and graduate
students. And then you could become a [inaudible] elementary K 12, let's say in the region or
even further than the region here. So, in closing, the museum was not really doing anything
for the No Child Left Behind Initiative. In order to make sure that when the museum was
closing there are no children left behind, you know on the buses and stuff? [Laughter]
And but, things have changed significantly we now do a lot about policy and not only
the national, at the international level, that's another surprise. I wasn't even thinking
of international. And now we have ten European countries that we're working with introduce
engineering and we have conversation with China and Taiwan and Brazil and whole South
America, so. And in the beginning I was very patriotic. I thought no, this was going to
be an American thing. We're going to be the first, we're going but the other countries
aren't stupid. They figured U.S. is doing engineering for kids, we're going to do it
too. And if we don't help them to do it, they're going to do it themselves anyway. So why lose
the opportunity? So that's why we're internationally. And if you're wondering what happened to the
little girl that started the latter? Remember? What happened in the school when I started
my talk? Of course she won first prize at the science fair that year. And not only she
won first prize, but the five subsequent years, girls won first prize. And this was never
ever happened at that school. She opened sort of the gateway. Then she, of course, she went
to the regional high school. She graduated near the top of her class. Then she went to
the Harold Ford College, one of the best liberal arts schools in Pennsylvania. She graduated
with Honors in Biology and History. And then she moved to Tanzania. That was an unexpected
turn. In Tanzania she studied the foundation and she fundraised and designed and builds
science laboratories for children in Tanzania. And four years ago, she handed off the foundation
to the locals, that are still running it well because they hid me from money every the years,
so I know that. And she went to Stanford, that way, I think, and she either finished
or just finishing her PhD in International Education last year. She got two years ago,
she got married and she had a baby about six months ago, and she is very happy. So, thank
you very much and I'll be happy to have time to answer any questions you may have.
[ Applause ]
>> Mark [assumed] and I would like to open up the floor for any questions and comments.
Thank you for this very very interesting, entertaining, amazing presentation. [Inaudible]
[ Background Conversations ]
>> Dr. Miaoulis: In the ideal world I would like to have it as a self standing discipline.
I would like to see engineering schools open a new major in engineering education in conjunction
with engineering school. And prepare students with a broad background in engineering and
[inaudible] courses so they would be ready to teach engineering at a different level.
And fill in the gaps in math and science because engineering students could do that as well.
However, now, this is the ideal world. And this actual new mainly could happen. I think
will actually happen if engineering is part of what schools do in K 12. Now, in reality
you have anything from fear, especially with the elementary school teachers about teaching
engineering, because most of them, as you know, are afraid of teaching science. So the
moment you say "Now, we're going to teach engineering." Is like "Whoa, I'm not an engineer."
Well, you're not a mathematician either and you teach mathematics. You're not a historian
and you teach history. So you don't have to be an engineer, but it's, you know, it takes
more than that. One of the ways we have resolved that with our materials is engineering is
taught through story telling in elementary grades. And it's much more easier way for
teachers to incorporate to the curriculum. And instead of studying with the science,
which is like say the water cycle, which is the dreadful poster that every third grade
has on its wall. You start with a story which is little girl from India who have her books,
have twenty books, each book is a child from a different part of the world. You start with
a story of a little girl from India that talks about her town and how her town has bad water.
The quality of the water is bad. And how her cousin, who is an environmental engineer,
solved the problem and saved the town by building infiltration system. Then the kids work with
the teacher to build infiltration system with stuff you can get from CVS or get a kit. So,
if you say engineering as a self starting discipline you have no excuses left behind
of why not to teach it. You know? Like we don't have time. We don't have materials.
We don't have space. We don't have this. So we blend it with science. It's all it's part
of the science you do. At the middle school, it's political. If you have Take-Ed [phonetic]
teachers, that Take-Ed teachers which do you have Take-Ed teachers in California? To college
education industrialize [phonetic] which some schools do some schools not. Well, most states
do. So you have what used to be industrialized where the boys were doing Shop and the girls
were doing Home Ec. These teachers now transforming and most of them are shifting toward engineering.
And most of them still want to build bird houses. And there is a war between this community
there. So it's political there. So in some states it makes sense to have engineering
in middle school, and in some other states it makes more sense to blend it with a science.
They have a science teacher and sometimes the math teacher do it. At the high school
level, it's even more challenging because of college admission rules. And that's something
I don't get. With this obsession with AP courses. Okay? You have if you want to be an engineer,
you're worse off taking engineering class in high school than if you don't. Now, explain
to me why? You know? Because my kids, both of them, go to engineering school and going
to Tufts is very difficult to get in. And it's not because I'm a board member, they
really got in on their own. [Chuckles] Yeah, I don't have a lot of money, so it doesn't
work that way, you know. No, they did. And what I advised them to do is to take as many
AP courses as possible. Did they learn physics? No. They learned how to take an AP in physics.
You know? So they had take it again when they went back home. So in high school it's challenging
because where do you put it? Ideally I would have it in freshmen year, all freshmen regardless
of what they want to do. Start with engineering and see why you need the science and the math,
and then you have the science. But there are challenges with college admission and all
that. So, I gave you long answer, but I think it depends on the situation. If the system
or the community or the state is ready for engineering, have it separate; call it Engineering.
If it's not, I'd rather see it embedded in science than not see it at all. So, that's
[ Inaudible ]
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Well, it's -- whenever you have an immediate program, there's all sorts
of risks. And guess right away you give the signal that the boys are better than the girls.
Which may be on this point, on this particular issue, they are. But it's a matter of how
you package it. What we did for younger kids, and it's tricky for college because of this
reason. What we did for younger kids, we used to run a Lego. You know the robotic Legos?
>> Yes.
>> Dr. Miaoulis: They [inaudible]. RoboLab is the academic version of that. We developed
it at Tufts, so we are partners with Legos [inaudible] Chris Rogers is actually, his
whole is a huge facility, very cool, that does that. He used to have a Lego camp. Okay?
And again, it was a design and computer science but design camp. We used to have co-ed class.
The boys would take over. You know? The girls would be bored. So, then we thought, let's
have them separate. And have the same activities. The boys would go crazy; the girls would still
be bored on their own because they have the same activities. And then we became smart
and thought okay. Instead of having build a robot that's going to kill the other robot,
which is the typical Lego project. Was save the Beanie Baby. Which is the same robot you
have to build to save the beanie baby than to break the other robot. But we built activities
so the girls quickly build their design skills because the activity we had was more relevant
and more now it's easier to do it in a summer program that is a girls-only, than to start
the engineering class and I say "Okay, boys do this and girls do that." One thing I tried,
because this things is a gender issue goes in many other areas. I used to teach the [inaudible]
Dynamics. And even there, because we had some projects, I give the option. When we had teams,
to go in a co-ed team or a single gender team for the girls. And most of them opted for
a single gender team. And the single gender team did much better than the teams, because
what happens in most cases as you know, is the girl in the teams is the one that takes
the notes. And that's because she wants to because that's sort of the -- boys take over
poof! Not all, but in many cases it happens. So if you design the environment, maybe in
a design class. If you group them in different ways, and you give them projects in different
ways; maybe they can grow faster in the design skills. Simply because of the sources or the
projects they are involved in.
>> So, I teach science, K 5. I have a thousand students a week. And how did you get engineering
in K through 5?
>> Dr. Miaoulis: It's the program is called Engineering is Elementary. And you can find
it, we'll work, I'll give you my card and I can send you materials. And as I mentioned
before. You know better than I do, the challenges having the main stream teachers. I mean, you
don't have the issue but if you're a main stream teacher. And we do it through the story
telling. It's a curriculum consist of 20 stories. Each story features a child from a different
part of the world. And it starts with an engineering challenge that's a real problem. Or an exciting
thing, like the little girl from Boston. We feature is a black girl whose cousin, I think,
is in an industrial engineer at the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory. And the whole curriculum
is how he makes potato chips. She's an engineer design what seems to be potato chips. What
this, really the curriculum is a hidden simple machines curriculum. And it's simple machines.
I still remember the dreadful simple machines since I was in fourth grade. And I hated it,
you know, but make potato chips for a simple machine, how cool is that? So you start like
that. There's a story book that it comes with a teacher binder which connects the story
with a science use such as simple machines expanded to other forms of industrial engineering.
And the culminating experience is the project. And the project is a hands on activity with
simple materials. You can either buy the kit or you can make the kit yourself, from like
CVS type stuff. And the kids go through the engineering design process from the idea to
all the steps, and they understand what it is. And it's very successful. We cannot produce
it fast enough. And the teachers love it because it's storytelling, it blends with the science
unit, the kids love it, it's hands on; it's not at big mess.
[ Inaudible ]
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Sure. In most school districts and states, you have twenty units. They pick
and choose what they do. Very few have all twenty going on so. I don't want to sell books
now, but I'll be happy to send you or It's called Engineering is Elementary. If you Google
Engineer is Elementary the Museum of Science, you'll find not only the materials, but also
have a lot of research. This was an NSF funded project, by the way. We spent ten times more
money than typical publisher spends to create this materials and the research simply because
we could. We had the money from NSF. And it was a lot of money that went into it. And
the quality is great.
>> [inaudible] send us several copies that we [inaudible] The thing I wanted to share
is this conference [inaudible]it was called the "Means of Engineering" And I must have
been approached by 10 or 15 [inaudible] of engineering. They basically said to me, "How
do you get educators to the table?" which I found very interesting, because there's
been a couple of attempts to do this. It's really a teachers and teacher educators mobilized
around us. And it is. We're challenged with everyone on everyone's mind. Test scores,
curriculum. You know [inaudible] but really, if you think about it [inaudible] this is
exactly it. I mean, project-based learning is ready-made kind of put in classrooms. We
need educators to come together. Even in the Cal state's system, we have college of engineering
involved [inaudible] these partnerships with education and engineering organizations.
>> Dr. Miaoulis: You see here, you have two good grade schools and committed deans. Because
some deans think that engineering does not belong in K 12 because we're degraded if you're
not professional engineers teaching engineering. But fortunately, now that more people are
coming around. So you have a system where you could produce your own engineering teachers
and collaboration with the two schools. You could have professional development programs
that run in conjunction with the school districts here. That you can have educated teachers,
faculty from both schools putting it together. You have students that could work with teachers
in a voluntarily or as an intern basis. And also you have influence. So if you mobilize
some of the other colleges in the system, when the next round of revamping the standards,
the science standards comes; that's your opportunity to really go for it. And if you are ready
and you push, and you have the engineering in the standards and the assessments boom.
You got it.
>> We'll take two more questions. Yes.
[ Inaudible ]
>> Dr. Miaoulis: And we do. Engineering Adventures is our afterschool program. The challenge
with afterschool program is that most providers or after school programs are not as sophisticated
as teachers and educated. So, the programs have to be simpler and they have to be more
fun because it's afterschool. You cannot have a rigorous curriculum. But we understand that
this is a great opportunity and we are developing an afterschool program. And there is big miss
there, because there are very few afterschool programs that have a math science-engineering
focus. And so that's why we're developing an engineering program for middle schoolers.
For -- I'm sorry for elementary kids. But there is a need for a middle school program.
Which now we are doing the middle school main stream curriculum, we're developing. And after
that will be an afterschool program as well.
[ Inaudible ]
>> Dr. Miaoulis: You're absolutely right. When museums, if they are not connected with
what's happening in the schools, they are just inspirational moments. And for some kids,
that's good enough. They come to the museum, they have their moment. They think this is
really cool, I want to become a scientist. And then they pay more attention. Because
there is actually the sustainable part, is what type of school, you have science in schools.
And you don't have [inaudible] in schools. So you have to send the kid to a [inaudible]
school. But really for science, there is a place that they have. The problem is if they
are disconnected, then it takes a special kid or the special parent that will take the
kid to the science museum and have the conversation in the car afterwards, "You know what you
learn in science?" This is what this is so, and this is why it's school. Or you need the
inspired teacher that would plan the day to the museum to be connected to her or his curriculum.
Not a day that she has off because you let the kids run loose in the museum while you
chitchat with your colleagues, you know, at the cafeteria. Which, you know, some teachers
are intense about it, some view it as a day off. So the afterschool -- the follow up could
be at the school. The reason I made the move to the museum from academia is because I saw,
as a strategy, inspired the museum and influence those, and use the Museum of Science in Boston
position to politically push for this. And also start changing schools so that they would
do it in a sustainable and continuous way. The one of activity I agree with you, there
are a lot of companies that spend a lot of money to have "The Engineering Day." And kids
come, they have a great time. They leave and then forget about it. So you have to have
this. Either sustaining effort from the entity that runs the show, or a connecting effort
to something else that is part of the main stream operation that's connected and follows-up
with it.
>> Ladies and gentlemen, please join me and give a very good hand for [inaudible]
[ Applause ]
>> Dr. Miaoulis , there is a gift for you from the human- made world.
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Oh.
>> Representative of Cal' State Northridge. So [inaudible]
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Oh, thank you. Can I open it?
>> Absolutely.
[ Silence ]
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Oh, that's awesome. Thank you!
>> That's something to keep you from
>> Dr. Miaoulis: Oh, I need that during the rides. Yes. It takes an hour and half to go
from home to work every morning. So, thank you. Thank you. I really appreciate it, thank
you. Appreciate it.[ Applause ]