Funding our Future


Uploaded by DAWebTeam on 21.06.2012

Transcript:
[ SILENCE ]
>> I'M ASSEMBLY MEMBER JIM BEALL.
PERHAPS I'M BETTER KNOWN AS THE WIFE-- HUSBAND OF PAT BEALL,
MY WIFE, WHO WORKED HERE 18 YEARS AT DE ANZA COLLEGE.
SO-- [APPLAUSE] BETTER KNOWN BY--
BETTER KNOWN BY WHAT MY WIFE DID AND WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ME.
IT'S MY PLEASURE TODAY.
WE HAVE 4 ASSEMBLY MEMBERS, SOON TO BE JOINED BY A FIFTH,
STATE ASSEMBLY MEMBERS.
YOU HAVE 5 LEGISLATORS HERE TO LISTEN
TO YOU TODAY, ISN'T THAT GREAT?
[APPLAUSE] AND TODAY'S HEARING IS TRULY A PARTNERSHIP
WITH THE STUDENTS OF OUR LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICTS
AND MY OFFICE AND EVERY DETAIL OF THE EVENT FROM THE AGENDA
TO THE SPEAKERS' PRESENTATIONS HAS BEEN DRIVEN BY STUDENTS HERE
AT DE ANZA AND SEVERAL OTHER CAMPUSES.
IT'S ONLY THROUGH THEIR HARD WORK AND DEDICATION
IN PLANNING THIS EVENT THAT WE HAVE THE OUTREACH TO THEIR PEERS
AND OVER THE LAST SEVERAL MONTHS ASSEMBLING PANELISTS,
WE HAVE A GREAT SET OF PANELISTS HERE WHICH WE'LL HEAR FROM TODAY
AND MAKING THIS EVENT A REALITY.
NOW, TODAY, WE HAVE 2 PANELS, FIRST OF ALL,
WE HAVE ONE THAT'S GOING TO BE KIND OF SHORT THAT'S THE ONE
THAT WE HAVE WITH MY COLLEAGUES HERE.
WE HAVE MEMBERS OF THE STATE ASSEMBLY.
THE STATE ASSEMBLY IS MADE UP OF 80 MEMBERS
IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA.
AND TODAY WE'RE GOING TO HAVE 5 MEMBERS OF THE 80 HERE.
AND THAT-- AND WE ALSO HAVE THE OTHER ONE, IT'S COMPOSED
OF STUDENT LEADERS WHO WILL REPRESENT THE STUDENTS
AT VARIOUS COMMUNITY COLLEGES IN THE AREA.
AND THEY WILL SPEAK TO IMPACTS IN THE BUDGET CUTS
AND THE IMPACTS THAT THEY HAVE EXPERIENCED FIRSTHAND.
AND WE'LL HEAR FROM BOTH THESE GROUPS SHORTLY.
NOW FOLLOWING THEIR TESTIMONY, THERE WILL BE AN OPPORTUNITY
FOR PUBLIC COMMENT AND RESPONSE FROM THE LEGISLATORS.
SO WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF OPPORTUNITIES
FOR COMMENTS FROM THE STUDENTS.
AND IN TERMS OF MY COLLEAGUES,
I'D LIKE TO FIRST INTRODUCE MR. PAUL FONG HERE.
[ APPLAUSE ]
AND I WILL GIVE EACH ONE OF THEM A LITTLE TIME
TO INTRODUCE THEMSELVES BUT I WANT
TO INTRODUCE THEM PERSONALLY.
WE HAVE RICH GORDON IS COMING, HE'S ON HIS WAY.
RICH, WE'RE ALL DRIVEN DOWN HERE FROM SACRAMENTO.
THEY HAD A SESSION TODAY.
SO THEY WENT FROM SACRAMENTO TO DE ANZA.
WE HAVE JERRY HILL, JERRY HILL.
[APPLAUSE] AND WE HAVE BOB WIECKOWSKI.
[APPLAUSE] NOW, I'M GOING
TO GIVE EACH MEMBER A MINUTE TO WELCOME.
I'D START WITH PAUL AND I WANT TO SAY
THAT PAUL HAS A REALLY DIRECT RELATIONSHIP
WITH DE ANZA COLLEGE.
AND BEFORE HE WAS A STATE ASSEMBLY MEMBER,
HE WAS A TRUSTEE FOR FOOTHILL-DE ANZA COLLEGE DISTRICTS, SO PAUL,
PAUL FONG WHO REPRESENTS THIS AREA, PAUL.
[APPLAUSE]
>> THANK YOU, JIM.
I'M HONORED TO BE HOME, THIS IS MY HOME AND I WAS A TRUSTEE
FOR THE FOOTHILL-DE ANZA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
FOR 15 YEARS BEFORE MOVING ONTO THE STATE ASSEMBLY IN 2008.
AND A COUPLE OF MY TRUSTEE ASSOCIATES ARE HERE
WITH US TODAY, BETSY BECHTEL.
[ APPLAUSE ]
AND BRUCE SWENSON.
[APPLAUSE]
YOU KNOW, BEFORE I WAS A TRUSTEE,
I WAS A PART TIME INSTRUCTOR HERE AT DE ANZA COLLEGE TEACHING
IN THE INTERCULTURAL STUDIES DIVISION.
I TAUGHT ASIAN-AMERICAN STUDIES.
AND BEFORE THAT I WAS A STUDENT HERE.
JUST LIKE THE STUDENTS UP HERE
AND YOU MAY BE IN MY SEAT ONE DAY.
SO, YOU KNOW, JUST KEEP IT UP AND I'M JUST HONORED TO BE HERE.
WHEN I FIRST GOT ELECTED TO THE STATE ASSEMBLY, I FOUNDED THE--
I WAS 1 OF THE 3 FOUNDERS OF THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE CAUCUS.
AND THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE CAUCUS ADVOCATES
FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGE ISSUES IN PARTICULAR.
LIKE WHEN THE BUDGET INCREASES WHERE-- WHEN THE BUDGET HIKES,
THE FEES WERE GOING TO BE CHARGED TO THE STUDENTS.
WE NEGOTIATED THE FEE HIKES DOWN WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE.
SO, WE'RE THERE ADVOCATING FOR THE COMMUNITY COLLEGES
AND I SERVE ON THE HIGHER ED COMMITTEE AS WELL
AND WE JUST PASSED A LEGIS--
THE COMMITTEE JUST PASSED LEGISLATION
TO BACK FILL THE 149 MILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT.
BUT IT WON'T COVER THE DEFICIT, BUT IN THE FUTURE DEFICITS,
THEY'LL BACK FILL THE PROPERTY TAXES.
BUT IT'S GOT TO GET APPROVAL
FROM THE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE STILL.
SO, YOU KNOW, IT MAY DIE THERE BUT THE--
IT'S GOOD POLICY AND WE'RE THEREFORE, MAKING GOOD POLICY
FOR THE COMMUNITY COLLEGES AND I'M HONORED TO BE HERE TODAY.
THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.
[APPLAUSE]
>> GOOD AFTERNOON.
MY NAME IS JERRY HILL.
I REPRESENT THE 19TH ASSEMBLY DISTRICT WHICH IS NORTH OF HERE.
AND I CAN'T EXPRESS
TO YOU ENOUGH HOW HONORED I AM TO BE AMONG YOU.
AND THE REASON FOR THAT IS THE AFFECTION THAT I HAVE
FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGE.
I WOULD NOT BE IN THE POSITION I AM IN TODAY
OR HAVE THIS POSITION IF IT WEREN'T FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGE.
WHEN I GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL, I WENT TO BERKELEY.
I WENT TO BERKELEY AND I WAS THERE FOR 2 SEMESTERS
AND THEY WERE KIND ENOUGH TO ASK ME
TO PURSUE MY EDUCATIONAL CAREER ELSEWHERE.
[LAUGHTER] AND I WENT TO THE COLLEGE OF SAN MATEO.
I SPENT A YEAR THERE AND DURING THAT TIME I WAS ABLE TO KIND
OF LEARN HOW TO STUDY, BECOME A BETTER STUDENT AND WORKED MY WAY
UP AND HAD THE PETITION THE DEAN TO GET BACK INTO BERKELEY.
AND THEY ACCEPTED ME BACK IN MY LAST 2 YEARS WITH FINE
AND GREAT GRADES AND THEN I WENT ON TO SAN FRANCISCO STATE
FOR A TEACHING CREDENTIAL.
BUT, HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THE COLLEGE OF SAN MATEO,
HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THE COMMUNITY COLLEGES
IN CALIFORNIA, AND THE MASTER PLAN AT THAT TIME,
I WOULDN'T BE HERE TODAY.
SO I AM ETERNALLY GRATEFUL TO THE EDUCATION THAT I GOT
AND THE HELP AND THE ASSISTANCE FROM THE COMMUNITY COLLEGES.
AND THAT'S WHY IT'S SO IMPORTANT
BECAUSE THE MASTER PLAN WE HAD THEN IS A LOT DIFFERENT
IN THE WAY IT IS WORKING TODAY.
SO I'M ANXIOUS TO HEAR THE COMMENTS FROM ALL OF YOU
SO WE CAN SEE HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN.
THANK YOU FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY.
[APPLAUSE]
>> YEAH. I'M BOB WIECKOWSKI FROM FREMONT, NEWARK, UNION CITY,
THE SORT OF THE EAST BAY.
I'M-- WE'RE HERE TO LISTEN TO YOU FOLKS.
I MEAN, I'M A LITTLE EMBARRASSED 'CAUSE WHEN PREPARING
FOR THIS I FOUND OUT THAT STUDENT FEES HAVE GONE
UP 256 PERCENT AT THE UC SINCE 2001-2002, SO THAT'S 10 YEARS.
THEY'VE GONE UP 284 PERCENT AT THE CAL STATE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM.
AND 227 PERCENT IN THE COMMUNITY COLLEGES WITH MORE FEES COMING
AT THE CAL STATE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM.
FOR THE LAST 9 YEARS STUDENTS HAVE EXPERIENCED FEES.
I'M HERE TO LET YOU KNOW MY PERSONAL EMBARRASSMENT FOR THAT.
WE HAVE TO DO BETTER.
I WANT TO HEAR IT FROM YOU GUYS TODAY.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> OKAY. NOW I'D LIKE TO INTRODUCE OUR STUDENT PANELISTS.
YOU'LL BE HEARING FROM THEM ABOUT 15 MINUTES.
FIRST, KEVIN FELICIANO, KEVIN, FROM OHLONE.
[ APPLAUSE ]
NOW, OUR HOMEGROWN DE ANZA COLLEGE, JULIA FRANKLIN.
[APPLAUSE] AND WE HAVE TIM AVILA FROM GAVILAN.
[APPLAUSE] SHAILA RAMOS.
>> YEAH.
>> YEAH. [APPLAUSE]
>> RICH COPENHAGEN, PERALTA.
[APPLAUSE] AND DE ANZA'S OWN EMILY KINNER.
[APPLAUSE] I HEARD EMILY ON NPR TODAY.
SHE WAS ON NPR IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT.
[LAUGHTER] I THINK THEY'RE REPLAYING THAT.
>> OKAY. I'VE GOT ONE, THANK YOU.
FIRST OF ALL, I WANT TO THANK ALL OF THOSE
WHO HAVE ORGANIZED THIS EVENT.
I AM VERY PLEASED TO BE HERE.
I AM VERY PLEASED TO REPRESENT THIS REGION
IN THE STATE ASSEMBLY AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THE CONVERSATION
AND IN HEARING FROM ALL OF YOU TODAY.
SO THANKS!
[APPLAUSE]
>> WAY TO GO, RICH.
OH, WE GOT ONE MORE TRUSTEE.
PAUL, WHY DON'T YOU INTRODUCE HIM?
>> YEAH. TRUSTEE LAURA CASAS FRIER.
[APPLAUSE]
>> THERE WE GO, OKAY.
STEVE HAS THE FLOOR.
>> TRYING TO THINK HOW BEST TO STAND HERE.
THESE [INAUDIBLE] AREN'T THAT INTERESTING SO I CERTAINLY MIND
IF I AM IN THE WAY HERE.
I'VE BEEN ASKED TO TALK ABOUT THE OVERALL BUDGET SITUATION,
PARTICULARLY SUPPLIES TO HIGHER EDUCATION
BUT WHAT I THOUGHT I'D DO IS START
OUT BY GIVING YOU A LITTLE BIT MORE BACKGROUND
ON THE OVERALL STATE BUDGET.
AND THIS IS HOW THE STATE SPENDS YOUR MONEY.
IT'S HOW THE STATE SPENDS TAXPAYER MONEY.
AND IF YOU LOOK AT THIS, THE TOTAL IN THE CURRENT YEAR,
THIS IS THE '11-'12 FISCAL YEAR.
THE STATE SPENDS A LITTLE OVER HALF OF ITS MONEY ON EDUCATION.
K-12 IS A BIG CHUNK OF THAT, HIGHER EDUCATION MEANING UC,
CSU COMMUNITY COLLEGES.
IT'S ABOUT 10 OR 11 PERCENT OF THE STATE BUDGET.
SO IT'S A PRETTY SIGNIFICANT SLICE OF OVERALL SPENDING.
CORRECTIONS IS ROUGHLY THE SAME SIZE AS ALL EDUCATION SPENDING.
YOU SEE THAT HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, MEDI-CAL,
MOST OF THE REST IN THE KIND OF CATS AND DOGS.
HERE IS WHERE-- HERE IS HOW MUCH MONEY THE STATE IS GETTING.
AND THIS, YOU CAN'T REALLY SEE THE SCALE
DOWN HERE AT THE BOTTOM.
THIS IS A STUDY IN 1990.
THE AMOUNT OF MONEY IN BILLIONS THAT THE STATE IS TAKING IN,
STARTING ON AROUND 40 BILLION DOLLARS IN 1990, AND YOU KIND
OF FOLLOW THIS UP AND YOU GET TO THIS POINT
IN 2007-'08, THIS HIGH POINT.
THE STATE WAS DOING PRETTY WELL, WAS BRINGING IN A LOT OF REVENUE
AND YOU SUDDENLY SEE THIS, THIS STEEP DROP IN '07-'08.
AND SINCE THAT TIME, WE'VE BEEN, THE STATE
AND THESE GENTLEMEN HERE, HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH TRYING
TO FIND A WAY TO CONTEND WITH THIS PRETTY BIG DROP IN REVENUE.
YOU SEE IT STARTS TO COME BACK UP A LITTLE BIT,
NOW IT'S COME BACK DOWN IN THE CURRENT YEAR.
THIS IS WHAT WE CALL VOLATILITY.
THERE'S A LOT OF UPS AND DOWNS IN TERMS OF THE AMOUNT
OF MONEY THE STATE BRINGS IN.
AND THE STATE HAS TO FIND A WAY
TO COVER ITS SPENDING OBLIGATIONS
WITH THIS VERY UNSTABLE REVENUE SOURCE.
THAT IN A NUT SHELL IS THE KIND
OF BUDGET PROBLEM WE'VE BEEN CONTENDING WITH.
HERE IS WHERE THE MONEY COMES FROM.
AND THIS BIG SLICE ON THE RIGHT IS PERSONAL INCOME TAX.
THAT'S A BIG CHUNK OF WHERE THE STATE GETS MONEY.
SALES TAX, YOU KNOW, THE SALES TAX YOU PAY ON YOUR PURCHASES
OF GOODS IS ANOTHER ABOUT QUARTER OF IT.
AND THIS CORPORATE TAX IS NOT MUCH
AND THERE'S AGAIN SOME OTHER CATS AND DOGS.
BUT THE REAL STORY HERE IS PERSONAL INCOME TAX.
WE JUST HAD OUR-- ON TUESDAY TAXES WERE DUE AND THAT FEEDS
INTO THIS BIG CHUNK RIGHT HERE, YOUR PERSONAL INCOME TAXES.
WELL, THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THIS.
PERSONAL INCOME TAXES ARE PRETTY VOLATILE THEMSELVES
AND ONE BIG PIECE OF THIS IS CAPITAL GAINS.
CAPITAL GAINS IS MONEY THE PEOPLE MAKE
WHEN THEY'VE MADE INVESTMENTS AND THESE INVESTMENTS DO WELL.
AND YOU SEE OVER THE YEARS THAT'S BEEN PRETTY FLAT
UNTIL THE LATE 1990S, THIS WAS THE DOT-COM BOOM.
IT WAS REALLY BIG OUT HERE IN THIS PART OF THE STATE.
AND THAT WENT VERY, VERY WELL
AND THEN THERE'S THIS PRECIPITOUS DROP.
SUDDENLY, PEOPLE ARE LOSING MONEY ON THEIR INVESTMENTS
AND THEY'RE NOT PAYING INCOME TAXES AS MUCH.
THEN IT COMES BACK UP AGAIN, IT'S BACK DOWN AGAIN.
AGAIN, VOLATILITY.
AND MY FINAL SLIDE ON THIS WHOLE PERSONAL INCOME TAX THING IS
TO SHOW YOU OVER THE LAST 40 YEARS,
WE'VE MOVED FROM PERSONAL INCOME TAX BEING ABOUT A QUARTER
OF STATE GENERAL FUND REVENUES TO TODAY
WHERE IT'S ABOUT 57 PERCENT.
SO, A HUGE CHUNK OF THE MONEY THE STATE BRINGS IN COMES
FROM THIS VERY VOLATILE REVENUE SOURCE
AND IT MAKES IT VERY DIFFICULT TO PREDICT.
AGAIN, THAT'S THE WORLD WE'RE IN.
SO, WHERE ARE WE TODAY?
THE GOVERNOR PROPOSED HIS BUDGET IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR,
THE LEGISLATURE IS CURRENTLY REVIEWING THAT PROPOSAL
AND WE'LL HAVE TO BE PUTTING SOMETHING IN PLACE BY JUNE 15TH.
THE GOVERNOR IDENTIFIES WHO GOT ABOUT A DIME
AND A HALF 9.2 BILLION DOLLAR GAP.
AND THAT'S MADE UP OF A 4.1 BILLION DOLLAR GAP IN THIS YEAR.
WE'RE GOING TO END THIS YEAR 4 BILLION DOLLARS SHORT.
WE'RE GOING TO HAVE SPENT 4 BILLION MORE THAN WE'VE TAKEN IN
AND ANOTHER 5 BILLION DOLLAR PROBLEM NEXT YEAR.
WE'RE GOING TO-- IF WE KEEP SPENDING THE WAY WE'RE SPENDING
AND BRINGING DOWN THE REVENUE THE WAY WE'RE BRINGING IT IN,
WE'RE GOING TO BE 5 BILLION DOLLARS SHORT.
AND THAT'S ABOUT 89 BILLION DOLLARS COMING IN,
ABOUT 94 BILLION DOLLARS GOING OUT.
SO, AGAIN, A FUNDAMENTAL MISMATCH
BETWEEN WHAT OUR SPENDING OBLIGATIONS ARE
AND WHAT OUR REVENUES ARE.
SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR HIGHER EDUCATION?
HERE IS UC AND CSU, OUR PUBLIC UNIVERSITY FUNDING.
THIS IS FROM '07-'08, REMEMBER '07-'08 WAS
THAT HIGH POINT I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT, WENT--
FOR REVENUES KIND OF WENT OFF A CLIFF.
AND THESE COLUMNS EACH HAVE A DARKER PART OF THE BOTTOM
WHICH IS STATE FUNDING.
AND THIS LIGHTER GREEN AT THE TOP WHICH IS THE MONEY
THAT COMES FROM TUITION.
AND WHAT YOU SEE HERE IS IN '07-'08, YOU HAD--
I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS, 25 PERCENT OR 20 PERCENT
OF THIS COLUMN WAS COMING FROM TUITION.
AND THEN YOU SEE THE STATE GENERAL FUND DOESN'T GO
UP AT ALL.
WE'RE BRINGING A LITTLE BIT MORE
IN MORE TUITION 'CAUSE THERE WAS A TUITION INCREASE.
THE NEXT YEAR STATE GENERAL FUNDING REALLY DROPS
AND STUDENT TUITION DOLLARS GO HIGHER.
TUITION DOLLAR IS HIGHER, TUITION DOLLAR HIGHER,
TUITION DOLLAR HIGHER.
THE POINT TO THE STORY IS REALLY 2 THINGS.
ONE IS IN GENERAL, STATE FUNDING HAS BEEN DECLINING.
AND IN GENERAL, STUDENT TUITION HAS BEEN INCREASING TRYING
TO BACK FILL THAT REDUCTION.
NONE OF THESE NUMBERS IS ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION AND NONE
OF THEM IS ADJUSTED FOR INCREASED ENROLLMENT.
SO, IN NORMAL TIMES, YOU WOULD EXPECT THESE OVERALL FUNDING
AMOUNTS TO BE GOING UP EACH YEAR,
INSTEAD THEY'VE BEEN RELATIVELY FLAT BECAUSE OF THE BACK FILL,
USING STUDENT TUITION REVENUE.
COMMUNITY COLLEGES, A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT STORY.
FIRST OF ALL, STUDENT TUITION, STUDENT FEES MAKE
UP A VERY SMALL PORTION.
MOST OF THIS COMES FROM, AGAIN, STATE SUPPORT
AND THEN LOCAL PROPERTY TAXES.
THOSE ARE YOUR MAIN SOURCES OF FUNDING.
AND YOU LOOK AT THIS EACH YEAR,
OVERALL FUNDING HAS BEEN DECLINING
AND '10-'11 WAS PRETTY GOOD YEAR BUT THEN IT'S BACK DOWN AGAIN.
THIS IS THE GOVERNOR'S PROPOSAL FOR '12-'13
AND IT'S KIND OF MISLEADING.
THE GOVERNOR'S PROPOSAL IS TO SPEND MORE MONEY
ON COMMUNITY COLLEGES BUT IN REALITY, AND I DON'T WANT TO GO
INTO ALL THE DETAILS, THAT JUST THE BASE FUNDING,
THE CORE FUNDING FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGES WOULD BE PRETTY FLAT.
THE GOVERNOR IS HAVING TO BACK FILL SOME BORROWING THAT WE DID
IN THE CURRENT YEAR, THAT MEANS WHEN WE NEED
TO SPEND SOME MORE MONEY, SOME OTHER THINGS GOING ON.
BUT GENERALLY, LOOK AT THE STORY HERE IS THAT, WITH INFLATION,
WHICH HAS BEEN PRETTY LOW, WITH ENROLLMENT GROWTH,
COMMUNITY COLLEGES ARE REALLY GETTING LESS MONEY TODAY
THAN THEY WERE 5 YEARS AGO.
HERE IS KIND OF WHAT IT MIGHT MEAN FOR A LOT OF THE STUDENTS.
NOWADAYS AT UC, THIS IS THE STUDENT SHARE,
IF YOU LOOK AT THE TOTAL COST OF SERVING THE STUDENT AT UC.
IT'S ABOUT 22 MILLION, THE 22,000 DOLLARS A STUDENT.
AND OF THAT, STUDENTS ARE PAYING ABOUT 57 PERCENT NOW.
IT IS OVER HALF AND WE TALKED AND THERE WERE SOME COMMENT
ABOUT THE MASTER PLAN EARLIER.
THE MASTER PLAN ADOPTED IN 1960 SAYS,
THERE SHALL BE NO TUITION FOR HIGHER EDUCATION.
AND SO WE GOT AROUND THAT FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS
BY CHARGING FAIRLY SMALL AMOUNTS
AND NOT CALLING IT TUITION, WE CALLED IT FEES.
NOW, UC IS ADMITTING OK IT'S TUITION
BECAUSE IT'S 12,000 DOLLARS.
IT'S VERY SIGNIFICANT.
SO MORE THAN HALF OF THE COST OF EDUCATION
AT UC IS COMING FROM THE STUDENT.
AT CSU, IT'S JUST A LITTLE UNDER HALF.
IT'S ABOUT 47 PERCENT.
COMMUNITY COLLEGES IT'S STILL DOWN AROUND 10 OR 12 PERCENT
BUT AGAIN, UNTIL 1984, IT WAS 0.
AND THE OTHER THING TO LOOK AT HERE IS COST PER STUDENT,
22,000 HERE, ABOUT 12,000 HERE AND ABOUT A LITTLE MORE,
5700 AT COMMUNITY COLLEGES.
SO, YOU KNOW, REAL BIG DIFFERENCES
ON HOW WE FUND THE PUBLIC HIGHER EDUCATION SEGMENTS.
SO YOU LOOK AT HOW STUDENTS ARE BEING CALLED UPON TO PAY MORE.
HOW DO WE PRESERVE AFFORDABILITY?
THE STATE HAS SOME FINANCIAL AID PROGRAMS THAT HAS BEEN COMMITTED
TO FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS AND THIS IS KIND
OF THE SILVER LINING OR THE SAFETY NET, WHATEVER YOU WANT
TO CALL IT, AS WE'VE INCREASED TUITION,
WE'VE ALSO INCREASED FINANCIAL AID.
AND SO FOR THE CAL GRANT PROGRAM PARTICULARLY, WHICH PRIMARILY IS
FOR STUDENTS AT UC AND CSU BUT I THINK SOME
OF YOU MAY BE GETTING CAL GRANTS AS WELL.
THE COST HAS REALLY BEEN GOING
UP STEEPLY EVEN THOUGH THE NUMBER
OF STUDENTS RECEIVING AID HAS BEEN FAIRLY FLAT.
AND THAT'S SIMPLY BECAUSE TUITION HAS GONE UP
AND THESE GRANTS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE COVERING TUITION,
TUITION GOES UP, THE COST GOES UP.
SO THE STATE IS NOW SPENDING ABOUT 1
AND A HALF BILLION DOLLARS JUST
ON THESE CAL GRANT PROGRAMS IN THE CURRENT YEAR.
THE OTHER EFFECT YOU SEE
IN HIGHER EDUCATION I THINK HAS BEEN ENROLLMENT CONSTRAINTS.
UC AND CSU HAVE FAIRLY FLAT ENROLLMENT
OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS.
COMMUNITY COLLEGES HAD BEEN GOING UP
AND HAVE BEEN COMING DOWN.
THERE'S A NUMBER OF TOTAL STUDENTS ENROLLED IN THE SYSTEM.
IT'S-- I DON'T-- ONE-- A LITTLE
OVER 1.1 MILLION STUDENTS SYSTEM WIDE.
SIMPLY UNABLE TO SERVE AS MANY STUDENTS
AS COMMUNITY COLLEGES ONCE DID.
AND ONE FINAL THOUGHT ABOUT THE KIND OF FINANCIAL PARTS
FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGES
AND TALKING AGAIN ABOUT FINANCIAL AID.
MANY OF YOU MAY BE RECEIVING LIKE A BOG FEE WAIVER,
BOARD OF GOVERNORS FEE WAIVER PROGRAM THAT WAIVES FEES
FOR STUDENTS WHO DEMONSTRATE FINANCIAL NEED.
THAT-- IF YOU LOOK AT FOR EACH YEAR, THIS TOP PART,
THE BLUE PART HERE, LIGHT BLUE, IS THE AMOUNT
OF POTENTIAL FEES THAT ARE WAIVED.
THE FEES THAT WERE CHARGED BUT THE STUDENT WASN'T PAYING THEM
BECAUSE THEY GOT A WAIVER.
SO YOU SEE WE TOOK IN 207 MILLION IN 2003-04
IN ACTUAL DOLLARS AND WE WAIVED ANOTHER 150 MILLION.
LOOK OVER TIME WHAT'S HAPPENED.
WHAT'S HAPPENED IS, WE'VE CONTINUED TO INCREASE FEES.
THE FEE AMOUNT HAS BEEN INCREASING 'TILL IT'S NOW THIS
SUMMER GOING TO 46 DOLLARS A UNIT.
BUT THE AMOUNT OF THAT FEE REVENUE THAT'S WAIVED IS NOW
MORE THAN THE AMOUNT OF FEE REVENUE THAT'S COLLECTED.
WHAT THIS MEANS IS, WE'VE BEEN INCREASING FEES
BUT WE'RE REALLY NOT BRINGING IN A LOT MORE MONEY.
AND THAT'S JUST BECAUSE STUDENTS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR FINANCIAL AID,
THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO AFFORD THESE LEVELS OF TUITION.
SO, TO JUST WRAP THIS UP, I'M JUST GOING TO LEAVE YOU
WITH WHAT I SEE AS 4-WHEEL IMPORTANT POLICY QUESTIONS
THAT I THINK SACRAMENTO HAS TO CONTEND WITH AS IT IS GOING
INTO THIS NEXT FISCAL YEAR.
HOW MUCH TOTAL REVENUE SHOULD THE STATE TAKE IN?
GOING BACK TO MY INITIAL CHARTS ON OUR TAX SYSTEM,
ON OUR REVENUE SYSTEM, HOW MUCH TOTAL REVENUE SHOULD WE TAKE
IN AND FROM WHOM?
SHOULDN'T WE BRING IT IN MORE MONEY?
THIS IS ONE OF THE GREAT DEBATES IN SACRAMENTO.
DO WE NEED TO SPEND MORE MONEY OR DO WE NEED TO CUT SPENDING?
THAT'S KIND OF THIS FIRST QUESTION AND AGAIN, FROM WHOM?
SHOULD IT BE A LESS VOLATILE SYSTEM?
NUMBER 2, WHAT SHARE OF STATE FUNDING SHOULD GO
TO HIGHER EDUCATION?
IT'S BEEN SLIPPING A LITTLE BIT, USED--
I THINK THE HIGH POINT IS ABOUT 13 PERCENT A FEW YEARS AGO.
IT'S BEEN DOWN TO 10 OR 11 PERCENT.
SHOULD HIGHER EDUCATION BE GETTING A LARGER SHARE
OF THE PIE?
THIRD ONE IS, WHAT SHARE
OF EDUCATION COST SHOULD THE STUDENTS PAY?
I TOLD YOU AT UC, THEY'RE PAYING OVER HALF.
COMMUNITY COLLEGES, IT'S 10 OR 12 PERCENT.
ARE THOSE THE RIGHT PERCENTAGES?
SHOULD STUDENTS PAY A LARGER SHARE OR SMALLER SHARE?
AND THEN FINALLY, HOW MANY STUDENTS SHOULD THE
SYSTEM ENROLL?
THE COMMUNITY COLLEGES IN PARTICULAR,
AN OPEN ENROLLMENT INSTITUTION, SUPPOSED TO ADMIT ALL STUDENTS
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM INSTRUCTION.
MORE STUDENTS ARE DEMANDING ACCESS,
SHOULD WE BE FUNDING ADDITIONAL SLOTS?
THOSE-- THAT COST MONEY OF COURSE.
SO, I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWERS TO THESE BUT I'M HOPING
THAT IN THE CONVERSATION TODAY,
YOU CAN ALL SHED SOME LIGHT ON THESE QUESTIONS.
SO I THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND I'LL PASS THIS ON TO MR. MURPHY.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> WELCOME EVERYONE.
I'M BRIAN MURPHY.
I'M THE PRESIDENT HERE AT DE ANZA COLLEGE.
AND I WANTED FIRST TO ACKNOWLEDGE ALSO OUR CHANCELLOR,
LINDA THOR WHO'S JOINED US.
SHE IS UP HERE IN FRONT.
[ APPLAUSE ]
LINDA RELOCATED FROM ARIZONA AND DISCOVERED THIS,
THE NUMBERS THAT YOU JUST FOUND.
I REALLY HAVE ONLY 3 THINGS TO SAY.
MY SLOT HERE IS THE BRIEFEST POSSIBLE
ADMINISTRATIVE OVERVIEW.
THE FIRST THING TO SAY IS THAT THE GREAT DEBATE
IN SACRAMENTO IS ABOUT TAXATION.
IT'S EXACTLY ONE OF THE QUESTIONS STEVE RAISED.
I NEED YOU TO KNOW THAT THE 5 PERSONS HERE ARE OUR ALLIES
AND OUR FRIENDS, THEY SUPPORT US.
BUT THEY ARE IN A PROFOUNDLY DIVIDED POLITICAL ENVIRONMENT
IN WHICH THERE IS A COMMITMENT OF MANY TO NOT RAISE THE TAXES.
AND SO THIS QUESTION OF TAXATION AND THE QUESTION OF REVENUE,
A QUESTION YOU MIGHT THINK OF AS ONE VERY FAR AWAY.
HAVING LITTLE TO DO WITH US RIGHT NOW IS
AT THE ABSOLUTE HEART OF WHAT HAPPENS
TO US HERE AT THIS PLACE.
SO AS WE TALK ABOUT ITS IMPACT ON STUDENTS FOR OUR BUDGET,
KEEP IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND THAT THE MEN WHO ARE HERE ARE
IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE THE QUESTION
OF WHERE THE MONEY COMES FROM IS CENTRAL.
SECOND THING I WANT TO SAY IS THAT,
TO THE 5 OF YOU, THIS IS YOUR ANSWER.
THIS IS NOT AN ABSTRACT QUESTION FOR THE MEN
AND WOMEN WHO ARE HERE.
THIS IS A COLLAGE OF UNCOMMON COMMITMENT TO EACH OTHER
AND TO THE EDUCATION THAT'S IN THIS ROOM
AND IN THE BUILDINGS AROUND YOU.
THIS IS A PLACE THAT WE ARE ENORMOUSLY PROUD OF.
WE HAVE LOST 20 PERCENT OF OUR FUNDING.
WE'VE ONLY LOST ABOUT 12 PERCENT OF OUR ENROLLMENT.
AND THE DIFFERENCE IS MADE UP OF FACULTY
WHO TAKE MORE STUDENTS IN, OF STAFF WHO SERVE MORE.
IT'S A COLLEGE THAT'S TRYING ITS BEST TO RESPOND.
WE ARE ANNOYED AND FRUSTRATED AND TIRED.
AT THE SAME TIME, YOUR FEELING OF EXCITEMENT AND ENERGY,
YOU WALK AROUND THIS PLACE WHEN THE MEETING IS OVER.
YOU'RE GOING TO FEEL A BUZZ IN THE AIR,
THAT'S YOUNG PEOPLE NOT JUST LEARNING BUT ENGAGING EACH OTHER
ON THESE PUBLIC QUESTIONS.
IT'S A GOOD PLACE AND IT'S A GOOD PLACE PARTLY
BECAUSE YOUR WORK IS NOT FOREIGN AND ALIEN TO THEM.
THE POLITICS OF THE STATE MATTERS TO THE MEN
AND WOMEN WHO ARE HERE.
AND THAT'S MY FINAL POINT WHICH IS TO SAY THAT IF I MISSPOKE
AND IT DOESN'T YET MATTER TO YOU, GET ON IT.
WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER TO DEFEND OUR INTERESTS
AND TO ADVANCE THE INTERESTS OF OUR COMMUNITIES, THE MEN
AND WOMEN WITH WHOM WE WORK HERE AND OUR FAMILIES.
SO I AM REALLY, REALLY PROUD OF YOU FOR BEING HERE
AND I'M NOW GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO THOSE
WHO ARE YOUR DIRECT SPOKESMEN AND WOMEN BECAUSE THEY SPEAK
FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE AND THEY SPEAK TOO WHAT YOU KNOW
TO BE TRUE.
THANK YOU.
[APPLAUSE]
>> TURN IT OVER TO KEVIN.
>> GOOD AFTERNOON.
MY NAME IS KEVIN FELICIANO AND I AM THE STUDENT TRUSTEE
FOR THE OHLONE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT, SO IF YOU'RE
FROM FREMONT OR THE SURROUNDING AREA,
IT'S JUST UP HOWEVER MANY FREEWAYS YOU NEED
TO GO TO GET THERE.
AND SO, ANOTHER HAT THAT I WEAR IS I REPRESENT ALL OF YOU
AND THE MILLIONS OF OTHER STUDENTS
IN THE CALIFORNIA COMMUNITY COLLEGES AS THE PRESIDENT
OF THE STUDENT SENATE FOR CALIFORNIA COMMUNITY COLLEGES,
BUT LIKE I SAID, REPRESENTS ALL OF OUR STUDENTS
IN THE 112 COMMUNITY COLLEGES ACROSS CALIFORNIA.
AND SO, WHAT I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT TODAY VERY BRIEFLY
BECAUSE I REALLY DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN
TO YOU GUYS IS COURSE REDUCTIONS.
ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE AS THE STUDENT SENATE TRY TO CONVEY
TO OUR LEGISLATORS IS THAT,
WHEN YOU CUT THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE BUDGET.
YES, THEY ARE DOLLARS BUT IT MEANS MORE THAN THAT.
IT'S STUDENTS, IT'S FUTURES
THAT ARE BEING CUT BY THE BUDGET CUTS.
THREE YEARS AGO, WE WERE EDUCATING NEARLY 3
MILLION STUDENTS.
NOW WE'RE EDUCATING 2.6, 2.6 MILLION STUDENTS.
WE'VE LOST 400,000 AND COUNTLESS MORE OVER THE YEARS.
TEN YEARS AGO, WE WERE EDUCATING,
I THINK IT WAS 35 MORE STUDENTS THAN WE WERE EDUCATING NOW.
AND THAT'S A BIG DEAL.
WITH COURSE SECTIONS OUR STUDENTS ARE STAYING
IN THE SYSTEM LONGER.
HOW MANY OF YOU THIS QUARTER OR LAST QUARTER
OR A QUARTER YOU'VE BEEN HERE WERE NOT ABLE TO GET A CLASS?
YEAH. THINK ABOUT THE STUDENTS WHO AREN'T IN THIS ROOM,
WHO AREN'T ON CAMPUS TODAY
BECAUSE THERE WEREN'T ENOUGH CLASSES FOR THEM TO TAKE.
AND SO, AS PRESIDENT MURPHY MENTIONED,
IT IS THE COLLABORATION BETWEEN THE ADMINISTRATION
AND THE STUDENTS.
THE ADMINISTRATION AND THE FACULTY TAKE MORE STUDENTS
AND THEY SERVE MORE STUDENTS EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NOT GETTING
PAID FOR IT BECAUSE THEY ARE HERE TO MAKE SURE
THAT YOU GET YOUR EDUCATION.
AND THEN THE STUDENTS, YOU GUYS OR WE,
WE ALL STAY IN THE SYSTEM LONGER THAN WE NEED
TO BECAUSE WE CAN'T GET THE COURSES THAT WE WANT.
AND SO, WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT CUTS, YOU'RE THINKING
ABOUT THE NUMBER OF SECTIONS THAT ARE BEING CUT,
THE NUMBER OF STUDENTS WHO AREN'T BEING SERVED.
THIS YEAR ALONE, WE TURNED AWAY OVER 300,000 STUDENTS
THAT WERE READY AND WILLING TO LEARN AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE.
MOST OF THEM GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS
BECAUSE WE DID NOT HAVE A SPACE FOR THEM.
AND SO THAT'S MY BIGGEST APPEAL TO YOU GUYS IS THAT,
THE MORE CUTS TO COMMUNITY COLLEGES, THE LESS COURSES
THAT WE'RE GOING TO HAVE,
AND THE LESS OPPORTUNITIES WE'RE GOING
TO HAVE TO GET OUR EDUCATION.
WE HAVE ALREADY BEEN SHUT OUT OF THE UC
AND THE CSU 'CAUSE THERE IS NO SPACE AND WE CAN'T AFFORD GOING
TO FOR PROFIT COLLEGES AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS ONE
OF THE ONLY PLACES THAT WE CAN GO.
MY BROTHER COULDN'T GET A CLASS AT OHLONE LAST YEAR
OR ACTUALLY 2 YEARS AGO.
NOW-- AND NOW HE WORKS FULL TIME AND I DON'T KNOW
IF HE EVER IS GOING TO COME BACK BECAUSE HE WENT TO WORK
AND HE'S NOT SURE WHEN HE'S GOING
TO FIND TIME FOR SCHOOL NOW.
HE IS MARRIED WITH CHILDREN.
HE'S GOT A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES.
BUT THOSE ARE THE KIND OF PEOPLE THAT I LOOK--
THAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO LOOK OUT FOR
WHEN I'M ADVOCATING ON YOUR BEHALF.
AND SO YOU GUYS HAVE AN AMAZING STUDENT GOVERNMENT HERE
ON CAMPUS.
YOUR PRESIDENT, ARVIND RAVICHANDRAN,
IS AN AMAZING PERSON WHO'S FROM FREMONT, SORRY.
[LAUGHTER] BUT YOU GUYS USE THEM,
THEY REPRESENT YOU GUYS WELL ON MANY DIFFERENT FRONTS.
A LOT OF THE THINGS THAT ARE HAPPENING ON CAMPUS,
YOU GUYS HAVE A DIRECT VOICE TO EFFECT.
AND SO, AND THAT INCLUDES COURSE OFFERINGS AND COURSE REDUCTIONS.
WHEN THE ADMINISTRATION HAS TO MAKE A CUT,
THEY DON'T WANT TO MAKE A CUT.
BUT UNFORTUNATELY, THE CUT HAS TO BE IN COURSE REDUCTIONS.
SO, WELL, A LOT OF THE TIMES WHEN WE GO TO ADVOCATE,
WE WANT TO REMIND THEM THAT YOU'RE NOT CUTTING JUST DOLLARS
FROM THE BUDGET, YOU'RE CUTTING STUDENTS,
YOU'RE CUTTING THE FUTURE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA
OUT OF THE SYSTEM, OUT OF THE BUDGET.
CALIFORNIA IS AS GREAT OF A STATE AS IT IS.
IS BECAUSE OF THE MASTER PLAN WE PASSED
IN 1960 WAS THE FREE EDUCATION THAT WE AS CITIZENS
OR RESIDENTS RATHER OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA WERE ENTITLED TO.
AND SO WE'D LIKE TO REMIND THE LEGISLATORS NOT
TO LOSE SIGHT OF THAT.
I KNOW THE 5 GENTLEMEN HERE DO NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THAT.
SO THAT IS MY TEASE HERE, THANK YOU.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> HI! MY NAME IS JULIA FRANKLIN.
I AM AN EOPS STUDENT AS WELL AS AN EOPS EMPLOYEE
AND EOPS CLUB PRESIDENT.
EOPS STANDS FOR EXTENDED OPPORTUNITY PROGRAMS
AND SERVICES.
EOPS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS HAS TAKEN A 40 PERCENT BUDGET CUT.
EVEN WITH THE COLLEGE'S HELP, EOPS STILL HAS
TO TURN 25 PERCENT OF THE STUDENTS AWAY.
THERE ARE SO MANY STUDENTS WHO REALLY NEED THESE PROGRAMS
AND PROGRAMS LIKE THIS.
I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT HAVE GONE BACK TO SCHOOL
IF IT WASN'T FOR EOPS.
THERE ARE SO MANY STUDENTS WHO THANK US
ON DAILY BASIS FOR THIS PROGRAM.
THE COUNSELORS, THE ADVISORS TAKE THEIR TIME
AND DISCUSS EDUCATION PLANS, TRANSFERS AND REAL ISSUES
TO HELP STUDENTS SUCCEED IN COLLEGE.
ALSO BEING A MOTHER, IT'S HARD
TO SEE WHAT MY CHILDREN'S FUTURE WILL BE
IF THESE PROGRAMS ARE NOT HERE AND AVAILABLE TO HELP.
THANK YOU.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> MY NAME IS TIM AVILA, I'M WITH GAVILAN COLLEGE.
I'M ALSO A CALWORKS RECIPIENT.
MOST OF THE TIME WHEN CALWORKS IS THOUGHT OF IT'S THOUGHT
OF AS THE SINGLE MOTHERS.
I AM HERE AS A SINGLE FATHER.
I'M A FULL TIME FATHER, I WORK PART TIME.
AND WITH THE PROPOSED CUTS THAT ARE COMING TO CALWORKS,
IT'S GOING TO PUT A TIME LIMIT ON THE AMOUNT OF TIME
THAT WE'RE GOING TO BE ABLE TO BE STUDENTS.
AND THAT'S GOING TO BE 2 YEARS.
I CAME TO CALWORKS 2 AND A HALF YEARS AGO WITH THE GED
AND IT TOOK ME A COUPLE OF SEMESTERS JUST
TO GET MY DISCIPLINES UP TO PAR TO BE ABLE
TO START TAKING THE EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS NEEDED
TO GET A DEGREE OR TO BE ABLE TO TRANSFER THEM.
I'M A SEMESTER AWAY FROM GETTING MY ASSOCIATES
AND 2 SEMESTERS AWAY FROM TRANSFERRING.
AND SO, THE OTHER CUT THAT WOULD BE ADVERSELY AFFECTING ME
AND WOULD STOP ME DEAD IN MY TRACKS
IN MY EDUCATION IS THE CUTS TO SUBSIDIZE CHILDCARE.
IT'S ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE THAT WE HAVE THAT.
WITHOUT IT, I WON'T BE ABLE
TO GO FIND EVEN A MINIMUM WAGE JOB, YOU KNOW.
I WON'T BE ABLE TO COVER THE COST
OF PROVIDING THAT CHILDCARE.
SO, IF THERE IS ONE THING I WANT TO STRESS TO YOU GUYS TODAY,
IT IS TO PROTECT THAT.
SO, ASSEMBLYMEN, YOU ARE PAID BY THE STATE TO THINK OF SOLUTIONS
AND THEY ARE NOT ALWAYS THE EASIEST OR THE MOST POPULAR.
SO I ASK THIS OF YOU.
ASK YOU TO THINK OF A WAY TO BELIEVE, ASK YOU TO THINK
OF A WAY TO HOPE, ASK YOU TO BELIEVE IN US, I ASK YOU TO HOPE
IN US, I ASK YOU TO INVEST IN US.
I'M NOT ASKING YOU FOR BLIND FAITH AND I'M NOT ASKING YOU
FOR BLIND HOPE BECAUSE TODAY YOU SEE WITH ALL THESE FACES HERE,
THAT FAITH AND HOPE HAVE A FACE.
YOUR VOTE HAS A FACE.
I HOPE THAT TODAY WE DEMONSTRATE TO YOU THAT WE ARE READY
AND WILLING TO SUCCEED, THAT US HERE
FROM THE CALWORKS PROGRAM ARE READY AND WILLING
TO BECOME SELF-SUFFICIENT,
SO LONG AS WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY AFFORDED
BY YOUR VOTE.
WE'RE NOT ASKING FOR A HAND OUT-- WE'RE ASKING FOR HAND OUT.
WE'RE ASKING FOR A HAND OUT SO WE COULD STAND UP FOR YOU
AND EVERY OTHER CALIFORNIANS, IT'D BE OUR FAIR SHARE.
MANY YEARS FROM NOW, I WANT YOU TO LOOK BACK ON THIS TIME,
NOT THINK WHAT IF WE HAD, BUT THAT WE DID.
THAT YOU MADE THE INVESTMENT IN YOUR NEIGHBOR,
THAT YOU MADE YOUR INVESTMENT TO FELLOW CALIFORNIAN.
AND IT WAS YOUR VOTE THAT MADE IT ALL POSSIBLE.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> HELLO, GOOD AFTERNOON AND THANK YOU
FOR COMING AND JOINING US.
MY NAME IS SHAILA RAMOS.
I AM THE EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT
FOR THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT HERE ON CAMPUS.
AND I AM ALSO AN ADMINISTRATOR FOR A PROGRAM HERE
ON CAMPUS CALLED HEFAS, HIGHER EDUCATION FOR AB540 STUDENTS.
SO I'M HERE TO TALK ABOUT HOW THE BUDGET CUT IS GOING
TO AFFECT AND IS AFFECTING
AND HAS BEEN AFFECTING UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS ALL
OVER CALIFORNIA.
FIRST, I WANT TO ASK WHO KNOWS WHAT AB540 IS?
RAISE YOUR HAND?
KIND OF, 40 PERCENT OF THE ROOM.
SO AB540 STANDS FOR ASSEMBLY BILL 540.
THERE IS THREE REQUIREMENTS TO QUALIFY FOR AB540,
BEEN 3 YEARS IN HIGH SCHOOL.
HAVE YOUR GED OR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA AND ALSO BE REGISTERED
AT AN INSTITUTE OF HIGHER EDUCATION.
SO A LOT OF UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS FIT
UNDER THESE REQUIREMENTS AND THEY APPLY FOR AB540
WHICH ALLOWS THEM TO PAY IN STATE TUITION.
I AM ONE OF THESE STUDENTS, I CAME WHEN I WAS 2 YEARS OLD,
MY PARENTS BROUGHT ME.
IT WASN'T MY CHOICE OF COURSE, I WAS 2 YEARS OLD.
AND I HAVE, YOU KNOW, I HAVE BEEN DEALING
WITH THE DIFFICULTIES AND I GREW UP WITH THE, YOU KNOW,
THE SAME PEERS WHO ARE CITIZENS AND I NEVER KNEW
THAT I WOULD HAVE THIS DIFFICULTY JUST TRYING
TO REACH MY HIGHER EDUCATION, YOU KNOW.
RIGHT NOW MY MAJOR IS PEACE AND CONFLICT STUDIES AND I WANT
TO BECOME AN ORGANIZER, I WANT TO HELP MY COMMUNITY.
AND BECAUSE OF THE BUDGET CUTS OR/AND BECAUSE OF THINGS
THAT WE'VE BEEN FIGHTING FOR,
LEGISLATION THAT WE'VE BEEN FIGHTING
FOR THAT HAVEN'T PASSED, I CAN'T REACH THOSE GOALS.
THANKFULLY, THE CALIFORNIA DREAM ACT PASSED LAST YEAR, SO WHOO,
YAY, CALIFORNIA DREAM ACT.
[APPLAUSE] SO, THAT'S--
AND THANK YOU FOR THOSE LEGISLATORS WHO SUPPORTED THAT.
SO THAT'S GOING TO HELP UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS A LOT.
AND STARTING NEXT YEAR, IN JANUARY 2013,
IT'S GOING TO PROVIDE SOME FINANCIAL AIDS
FOR THESE UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS.
BUT, ONE OF THE THINGS TO REMEMBER IS
THAT THIS LEGISLATION ONLY HELPS AB540 STUDENTS,
WHICH I SAID BEFORE IS ONLY THOSE STUDENTS
WHO MEET THOSE 3 REQUIREMENTS.
SO HOW ABOUT THESE UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS
WHO DIDN'T GO 3 YEARS IN HIGH SCHOOL?
WHO ONLY WENT 1 OR 2?
THEY ARE NOT RECEIVING ANY HELP.
THEY TOLD ME TO TALK ABOUT HOW THE BUDGET CUT IS AFFECTING
UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS, RIGHT.
LIKE IT'S AFFECTING UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS THE SAME WAY IT'S
AFFECTING ALL STUDENTS HERE.
BUT IT'S JUST MAKING IT MORE HARDER.
IT'S, ADDING THE-- YOU KNOW, WHEN WE SEE IT AS A LADDER,
YOU KNOW AND YOU OPEN THE DOOR AT THE END,
IT'S MAKING THE LADDER A LITTLE BIT HARDER TO CLIMB
BECAUSE OF THESE BUDGET CUTS.
AND SO EVERY OPPORTUNITY THAT LEGISLATORS GET TO HELP
OUT THESE UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS OR ANY, YOU KNOW,
STUDENTS WHO ARE TRYING TO GET A HIGHER EDUCATION,
EVEN THOUGH LIKE FOR UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS,
IT'S NOT FOR SURE THAT THEY'RE GOING TO GET A JOB.
AND THAT'S A WHOLE ANOTHER ISSUE
ABOUT COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION WE FORMED
WHICH I DON'T THINK WE'RE HERE TALK ABOUT.
BUT IT'S SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT ALSO, RIGHT?
SO THAT'S MY POINT.
SO PLEASE, HELP OUT ALL THESE STUDENTS AND EVERY OPPORTUNITY
THAT YOU DO GET, ANY LOOPHOLE, TRY TO PUSH FOR IT.
THANK YOU.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYONE.
GOOD AFTERNOON LEGISLATORS, STUDENTS, FACULTY, STAFF,
ADMIN WHO ARE HERE WITH US.
I'M HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE DISPIRIT EFFECT
THAT THE CUTS HAVE HAD ON DIFFERENT COMMUNITIES.
IN THE PAST WE'VE BUILT PROGRAMS WHICH HAVE SUPPORTED
AND BUILT FOUNDATIONS FOR MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF STUDENTS
TO COME AND ENGAGE ON THEIR EDUCATIONAL JOURNEY WITH.
AND OFTEN THESE PROGRAMS GET FRAMED AS SUPPLEMENTAL SERVICES
OR ADDITIONAL THINGS WHICH ARE REALLY UNNECESSARY OUTSIDE
OF THE CLASSROOM WHEN WE TALK ABOUT THE BUDGET
AND WHEN WE TALK ABOUT LEGISLATION.
AND WHEN WE CUT THESE PROGRAMS WE AFFECT SPECIFIC POPULATIONS
OF STUDENTS.
AND THEN ON THE OTHER SIDE, WE HAVE THE SOCIAL SERVICES
WHICH ARE BEING CUT, SOCIAL SERVICES AND PROGRAMS
WHICH MULTIPLICATIVELY HAS AN EFFECT ON THESE STUDENTS
WHERE NO LONGER CAN THEY AFFORD TO SPEND A TIME TO COME
TO COLLEGE, NO LONGER CAN THEY AFFORD TO NOT BE
WITH THEIR FAMILY OR SUPPORTING THEIR FAMILY
OR TAKING CARE OF THEIR KIDS.
AND AS WE GO DOWN THOSE ROADS WE HAVE AN EXPONENTIAL IMPACT
ON COMMUNITIES WHICH ARE TRADITIONALLY UNDERSERVED.
YOU LOOK AT OAKLAND AND--
SO OAKLAND IS ONE OF THE COMMUNITIES I SERVE,
I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT INTRODUCING MYSELF.
MY NAME IS RICH COPENHAGEN.
I'M THE STUDENT TRUSTEE FOR THE PERALTA DISTRICT
UP IN OAKLAND AND BERKELEY.
AND SO OAKLAND, ONE OF THE COMMUNITIES
THAT I SERVE HAS A VERY LARGE POPULATION OF PEOPLE WHO COME
FROM THE INNER CITY WHERE THERE ARE NO LONGER SERVICES.
THERE ARE NO LONGER SOCIAL-- SAFE SOCIAL ENJOYMENT AREAS,
RECREATION AREAS, THAT'S THE RIGHT WORD.
AND EVEN THE POLICE ARE BEING TRAINED BY MILITARY--
BY THE MILITARY, BY THE MARINES.
AND WE LOOK AT EDUCATION AS A GATEWAY FOR THESE STUDENTS
TO COME OUT OF THIS BUT OFTEN IT'S
IN THE CONTEXT OF CLASSROOM ONLY.
AND WE REALLY NEED TO LOOK AT IT HOLISTICALLY WITHIN THE CONTEXT
OF ALL OF THE SERVICES THAT WE PROVIDE TO THESE STUDENTS,
PROVIDE TO OUR STUDENTS.
AND LEGISLATION WHICH TAKES A HOLISTIC VIEW AT THE STUDENT
AS A PERSON AND HOW WE CAN REALLY UPLIFT OUR STATE
FROM BEING ONE OF THE LOWEST IN SUCCESS AND FUNDING
FOR EDUCATION TO BEING WHERE WE USED TO BE AS ONE
OF THE MOST TOP OF THE LINE LEADING EDGE STATES
WHERE OTHER COUNTRIES WOULD COME AND LOOK AT OUR PROGRAMS,
OTHER COUNTRIES WOULD COME AND LOOK AT OUR MASTER PLAN.
AND ACTUALLY, OTHER COUNTRIES DO COME AND LOOK AT DE ANZA
BUT I'M NOT JEALOUS, IT'S COOL.
SO, NO, BUT WE REALLY DO NEED TO LOOK AT THINGS COMPREHENSIVELY
AND I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE TAKING THE TIME TO COME OUT
AND SPEAK UP AND THE LEGISLATORS FOR COMING TO HEAR US.
THANK YOU.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> HI EVERYBODY.
MY NAME IS EMILY KINNER AND I'M A STUDENT HERE AT DE ANZA.
AND SO I'M JUST GOING TO TALK REALLY BRIEFLY
BECAUSE I DO WANT US TO HAVE A LOT MORE TIME TO TALK
WITH YOU MORE ABOUT WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE.
SO, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I JUST WANTED TO TALK A LITTLE BIT
ABOUT WAS THE RESTRICTIONS THAT ARE BEING MADE
ON FINANCIAL AID PROGRAMS WITHIN THE STATE AS A RESULT
OF BUDGET CUTS, NAMELY CAL GRANTS AND THE BOARD
OF GOVERNORS FEE WAIVER.
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE RECIPIENTS OF BOARD
OF GOVERNORS FEE WAIVER IN THIS ROOM?
A LOT. THAT'S-- OKAY.
AND THEN, HOW ABOUT CAL GRANT?
WE RECEIVE CAL GRANT BEING AT COMMUNITY COLLEGE LEVEL.
SO NOT TOO MANY.
SO I JUST WANT TO TALK A LITTLE ABOUT WHAT'S GOING
ON THAT'S COMING DOWN FROM THE STATE WHICH IS A RESULT OF ALL
OF THE RESTRICTIONS BECAUSE OF BUDGET CUTS.
NAMELY, THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS FEE WAIVER WHICH WAS RECOMMENDED
TO PUT UNIT CAPS WHICH SAYS THAT IF YOU HAVE MORE
THAN 110 UNITS ACCUMULATED,
YOU'RE NO LONGER ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE IT.
AND THAT WAS PART OF A RECOMMENDATION FROM A GROUP
THAT HAS BEEN MEETING OVER THE LAST 12 MONTHS,
THE STUDENT SUCCESS TASK FORCE, TO RESTRICT AND PAY
FOR LESS STUDENTS THAT ACTUALLY DO STILL NEED THAT WAIVER.
AND AS YOU ALL KNOW, WE DON'T HAVE JUST TRADITIONAL STUDENTS
IN OUR COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM AS YOU'VE HEARD EVEN
FROM THE DIVERSITY OF OUR PANEL.
WE HAVE WORKING MOTHERS AND WE HAVE STUDENTS
THAT HAVE 2 OR 3 JOBS.
WE HAVE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS AND WE HAVE PEOPLE
THAT ARE COMING BACK AFTER LOSING THEIR JOBS
TO IMPROVE THEIR CAREER TECHNICAL SKILLS.
SO WE'RE ALL OVER THE MAP.
AND THEN ALSO, THE CAL GRANT ISSUE IS--
IN OUR GOVERNOR'S BUDGET PROPOSAL HE IS RECOMMENDING
THAT WE TIGHTEN THE RESTRICTIONS ON THE GPA REQUIREMENTS
WHICH MEANS THAT WE'RE MOVING FURTHER AND FURTHER AWAY
FROM A NEED-BASED PROGRAM
WHICH MEANS YOU GET FUNDING BASED ON YOUR INCOME.
AND IF YOU DEMONSTRATE NEED
BECAUSE OF YOUR INCOME, YOU GET A CAL GRANT.
WELL, WE'RE MOVING MORE AND MORE TOWARDS A MERIT-BASED SYSTEM
BECAUSE OF THE BUDGET CUTS.
AND THEY'RE SAYING ACTUALLY IF YOU PERFORM BETTER
IN YOUR CLASSES, THAT'S WHAT DICTATES THAT YOU GET MONEY
TO PAY FOR COLLEGE, WHICH I PERSONALLY FEEL IS UNJUST
AND UNFAIR AND UNREASONABLE OF OUR STUDENTS--
TO EXPECT FROM OUR STUDENTS BECAUSE NOT ALL
OF US HAVE THE RESOURCES TO GET THE HIGHER GPAS, RIGHT?
AND A LOT OF US ARE WORKING SO MUCH.
AND THEN THE LAST THING IS THE STUDENT SUCCESS TASK FORCE
WHICH OUR LEGISLATIVE ANALYST MR. BOLLARD,
I THINK THE LAST QUESTION IN YOUR SLIDE WAS,
HOW MANY STUDENTS SHOULD WE SERVE?
AND OF COURSE, MY ANSWER IMMEDIATELY IS ALL
OF THEM, RIGHT?
IT SHOULDN'T BE A NUMBER.
AND SO THE STUDENT SUCCESS TASK FORCE RECOMMENDATIONS
WHICH I'VE BEEN WORKING ON FOR A WHILE,
ARE WORKING AGAINST FOR A WHILE, IS SORT OF TRYING TO DECIDE
WHO DESERVES TO GET AN EDUCATION
WHICH I THINK WE SHOULD ALL BE OPPOSED TO.
WE'RE A COMMUNITY, WE'RE A COMMUNITY COLLEGE,
WE SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO EVERYONE,
NOT BASED ON THE OUTCOMES THAT THE STATE WANTS TO SEE.
WE HAVE TO DO IT FROM BOTH SIDES.
SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
[ APPLAUSE ]
[PAUSE]
>> WELL, WE'LL TURN IT OVER TO PRESIDENT MURPHY
TO FACILITATE OUR DIALOGUE WITH YOU
AND HE'LL FACILITATE THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS.
AND WE'LL RECEIVE ANSWERS FROM EITHER STUDENT PANEL COMMENTS
OR LEGISLATOR COMMENTS AS NEEDED.
SO I'LL TURN IT OVER TO PRESIDENT MURPHY AT THIS TIME.
>> SO IT'S AN OPEN MIC AND A CONVERSATION.
THERE'S A MIC RIGHT HERE.
IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO ADD PLEASE COME.
I HAVE 3 GROUND RULES.
ONE IS BE BRIEF.
TWO IS IF YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A QUESTION,
ASK THE QUESTION RATHER THAN JUST PROCLAMATIONS OF SOMETHING.
AND THIRD, YOU CAN REALLY GENUINELY ASK QUESTIONS
OF BOTH OUR PANELS.
I THINK THE LEGISLATORS WOULD LOVE TO RESPOND,
SO WOULD THE STUDENTS.
SO FEEL FREE TO ASK EITHER GROUP TO RESPOND
TO PARTICULAR QUESTIONS YOU HAVE.
>> I'M WONDERING WHAT I CAN DO AS AN INDIVIDUAL
TO HELP REPEAL THE PROPOSITION THAT'S PASSED BY THE VOTERS
TO CUT PROPERTY TAXES 'CAUSE I KNOW THAT CAUSED A LOT
OF PROBLEMS BOTH FOR OUR COMMUNITY COLLEGES AND ALSO TO--
FOR K THROUGH 12 EDUCATION.
THANK YOU.
>> I BELIEVE THAT WAS A QUESTION ON PROP 13 TO GET RIGHT
TO THE HEART OF THE MANNER.
[INAUDIBLE DISCUSSION]
>> VERY GOOD.
I BELIEVE IN THE SPLIT ROLL TAX.
SINCE PROP 13 CAME IN 1978, COMMERCIAL TAXES USED TO ACCOUNT
FOR 60 PERCENT OF OUR TAXES.
NOW THEY ACCOUNT FOR 40 PERCENT OF OUR TAXES
AND RESIDENTIAL COUNTS FOR 60 PERCENT.
AND WE NEED TO GET TO A 50-50 RATIO SOMEHOW.
AND SO I BELIEVE IN UPDATING THE COMMERCIAL TAX ROLLS AND BELIEVE
IN THE SPLIT ROLL TAX AND SO
THAT SHOULD HELP US A LITTLE BIT.
>> YOU KNOW, JUST TO BE CLEAR, IT'S JERRY HILL
BY THE WAY AS YOU GUYS CAN SEE.
THE ISSUE AND THIS IS A COMMON ONE.
IT'S A COMMON CONCERN AND IT IS KIND OF THE PLIGHT
OF NOT JUST EDUCATION BUT CITY SERVICES, COUNTY SERVICES,
CALWORKS PROGRAM THAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT, A LOT OF THEM
AND MOST OF THEM ARE RELATED IN SOME FORM OR ANOTHER
TO THE PROBLEMS CREATED BY PROPOSITION 13
IN 1978 AS PAUL MENTIONED.
THE DIFFICULTY IS THE POLITICS OF IT.
AND THAT'S THE REALITY THAT WE'RE FACED WITH IN TALKING
ABOUT GETTING TO THAT MAGIC NUMBER IN THE LEGISLATURE
WHICH IS 2/3 TO PLACE SOMETHING ON THE BALLOT
OR TO GET THE SIGNATURES NECESSARY
TO PLACE SOMETHING ON THE BALLOT.
IT'S A PROBLEM BECAUSE THERE ARE GROUPS AND PEOPLE
AND ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STATE
THAT DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT CHANGE.
AND WE NEED TO DEAL WITH THE POLITICS AS MUCH AS WE HAVE
TO DEAL WITH THE POLICY TO TRY TO CONVINCE THOSE,
THOSE THAT ARE OPPOSED TO ANY CHANGE TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE.
AND THAT'S REALLY THE CHALLENGE THAT WE'RE FACED WITH TODAY.
>> YOU KNOW, LET ME ADD THIS.
I THINK YOU CAN GET INTO YOUR GRANDPARENTS' FACE
AND YOUR UNCLES' AND YOUR AUNTS' FACE AND EVERY TIME YOU'RE
AT A COMMUNITY, GET TOGETHER, ASK THEM, YOU KNOW,
WHEN THEY SAY, I DON'T WANT TO-- I DON'T LIKE PAYING TAXES.
I DON'T WANT TO PAY TAXES.
TO ASK THEM WHAT TYPE OF COMMUNITY DO THEY WANT.
YOU KNOW, WE GOT INTO-- WE THINK OF IT LIKE ICE CREAM,
OH I DON'T WANT THAT, I DON'T LIKE IT.
NEXT TIME SOMEBODY SAYS I DON'T LIKE TAXES, ASK THEM.
WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
WHAT TYPE OF COMMUNITY WOULD YOU WANT
TO PROVIDE FOR OUR STUDENTS?
YOU WANT TO GET BACK TO THAT 1960 DREAM
WHERE YOU GUYS WOULDN'T BE PAYING ANYTHING
AND YOU COULD WALK IN HERE AND TAKE CLASSES
AND WE'RE A COMMUNITY.
WE RAISED THE BAR, THAT WE'RE EDUCATED.
SO DON'T LET GET THEM BUY WHEN YOU HEAR SOMEBODY,
SNAPPY SAYS "OH, I DON'T LIKE TAXES"
OR "MY TAXES ARE TOO HIGH".
ASK HIM WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
YOUR NOT-- YOUR TAXES ARE LESS THAN THEY WERE WHEN THEY WERE
IN THE RONALD REAGAN, THE REALITY IS,
SO GET IN THEIR FACES A LITTLE BIT.
[ LAUGHTER ]
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> SO I LIVE OFF OF STUDENT LOANS AND FINANCIAL AID
AND SOMETHING THAT TO QUALIFY I HAVE TO BE A FULL TIME STUDENT.
AND IF THERE ARE NO CLASSES AVAILABLE
FOR MY FULL TIME ENROLLMENT THEN I GET PUT ON PROBATION.
SO IF YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO CUTTING CLASSES, IS THERE GOING
TO BE ANY ADJUSTMENT
OF THE FINANCIAL AID FULL TIME STUDENT LOAN FEES 'CAUSE
AFTER 6 MONTHS THEN I START TO HAVE
TO PAY BACK, IF THAT MAKES SENSE.
>> THANK YOU.
FIRST OF ALL, IT MAKES A LOT OF SENSE.
AND I APPRECIATE YOU RAISING IT.
I MEAN, ONE OF THE ADVANTAGES OF THOSE OF US
FROM THE LEGISLATURE COMING HERE IS THAT WE CAN PICK UP NUGGETS
OF THINGS THAT WE CAN GO BACK AND TRY TO FIX.
AND THAT'S ONE WE SHOULD GO TAKE A LOOK AT.
IF WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE THE LEVEL OF FUNDING SUPPORT
SO THAT THE COLLEGES CAN PROVIDE ENOUGH CLASSES WE SHOULDN'T BE
PENALIZING YOU IF YOU CAN'T GET A CLASS THAT ISN'T OFFERED.
SO, I FOR ONE WILL GO BACK AND TAKE A LOOK
AND SEE WHAT WE CAN DO.
THANKS FOR BRINGING IT UP.
[APPLAUSE]
>> THANK YOU.
YOU KNOW, FEEL FREE TO FORM A LINE, IT'S OKAY.
>> SO I HAVE A RESPONSE.
>> YEAH.
>> SO, ON THE STUDENT SIDE AT LEAST
FOR THAT QUESTION 'CAUSE A LOT OF THE STUDENTS
THAT WE FIND ARE TAKING CLASSES THAT THEY DON'T NEED JUST
TO BE ABLE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR FINANCIAL AID.
AND SO, WHAT ARE THE THINGS THAT WE'RE TRYING
TO DO WORKING WITH-- OH, IT'S ON NOW--
WITH THE FOLKS THAT WE HAVE WORKING STATEWIDE
AND EVEN LOCALLY IS THAT TRYING TO MAKE SURE
THAT ENOUGH CLASSES ARE AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS TO TAKE
AND HAVE THEIR CLASSES THAT THEY NEED.
I KNOW PEOPLE WHO ARE TAKING LIKE MICROBIOLOGY
AND THEY'RE MAJORING IN MUSIC.
CHANCES ARE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO NEED THEM, YOU MAY LIKE IT,
THAT'S COOL, BUT YOUR CHANCES ARE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO NEED IT.
AND SO THAT'S SOMETHING THAT WE'RE TRYING TO ADVOCATE
FOR ON THE STATEWIDE LEVEL IS TO OFFER ENOUGH CLASSES
AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY'RE CLASSES THAT THE STUDENTS NEED.
SO WE HAVE-- SO WE DON'T HAVE STUDENTS TAKING MICROBIOLOGY
WHO DON'T NEED IT WHO ARE THEN TAKING SPOTS FOR MAYBE NURSES
OR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE NURSES THAT NEED THAT CLASS
BUT CAN LONGER TAKE IT BECAUSE THEY'RE BEING CROWDED
UP BY OTHER STUDENTS.
>> HI. MY NAME IS GIDEON AND I'M MAJORING GLOBAL STUDIES HERE.
I HAVE TO START OFF SAYING I HAVE A BIAS AGAINST POLITICIANS
AS NO MATTER WHAT WE SAY,
POLITICIANS DON'T DO WHAT IT IS THAT WE NEED.
AND THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE
ON A LARGE SCALE, MAYBE DIFFERENT.
SO THANK YOU FOR COMING AND I'M IMPRESSED WITH THE AMOUNT
OF TIME THAT YOU'VE GIVEN US TO SPEAK.
THAT'S MAKES AN IMPACT.
TRYING TO BRIEF HERE.
WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE INCOME THAT THE STATE GETS, THE MAJORITY
OF THAT CAME FROM PERSONAL INCOME TAXES.
THE MOST DIRECT CORRELATION BETWEEN PERSONAL WEALTH, RIGHT,
HOW MUCH SOMEBODY MAKES, AND TRYING TO PUT THIS TOGETHER.
THE MOST DIRECT CORRELATION WITH THE AMOUNT
OF MONEY SOMEONE MAKES IS THEIR EDUCATION.
AND THE ISSUE THAT WE'RE FACING IS AN ISSUE THAT MAY NOT SHOW
UP AS SEVERE AS IT IS UNTIL 20 YEARS DOWN THE LINE,
UNTIL 40 YEARS DOWN THE LINE.
AND THIS ISSUE ISN'T JUST STATEWIDE, IT'S COUNTRY WIDE.
AND YES, WE DEAL WITH IT ON OUR STATE.
BUT UNLESS WE GET IT TOGETHER AND WE--
WHAT I'M SAYING IS WE CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE RIGHT NOW.
WE HAVE TO PLAY OFFENSE.
NOT ONLY DO WE HAVE TO INCREASE THE SERVICES
THAT WE OFFER STUDENTS.
WE HAVE TO INCREASE THE NUMBER OF STUDENTS THAT ARE COMING IN.
WE NEED MORE AMERICANS STUDYING AT AMERICAN SCHOOLS AND STAYING
IN THE US BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE THE PRIMACY ECONOMICALLY
IN THE REST OF THE WORLD THAT WE USED TOO.
SO WE'RE SLIPPING DOWNHILL AT A RATE
THAT I REALLY DO HOPE YOU GUYS SEE.
AND THIS IS ONE THE MOST, IF NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT AREA.
AND AS WITH MOST IMPORTANT THINGS,
YOU DON'T NECESSARILY SEE IT RIGHT NOW,
EVEN IN THE NEXT COUPLE YEARS.
IT'S 5 YEARS, IT'S 10 YEARS, IT'S 20 YEARS, IT'S--
YOUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN BEING STUCK
WITHOUT ANY OPPORTUNITIES.
THANK YOU.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> COLLEGE FOR-- CAMPAIGN FOR COLLEGE OPPORTUNITY DETERMINE
THAT THERE WILL BE A MILLION GRADUATE SHORT BY THE YEAR 2025.
AND SO I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE SAYING.
AND I TRY TO DO A LITTLE BIT TO CORRECT
THAT BY INTRODUCING A TRANSFER REFORM MOVEMENT
FROM THE STUDENTS THAT ARTICULATED
TO ME THEIR FRUSTRATION AT TRANSFERRING TO A 4-YEAR COLLEGE
FROM COMMUNITY COLLEGES AND I INTRODUCED AB2302
WHICH IS WOULD ALLOW THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE TRANSFERS
TO THE UC SYSTEMS TO BE A SMOOTH AND TRANSITIONAL WAY
WHERE THEY DON'T HAVE TO DUPLICATE THEIR CLASSES.
AND THEY'RE WORKING ON THAT RIGHT NOW.
IN SB1440 BY SENATOR PADILLA MANDATES THE CSU
AND THE COMMUNITY COLLEGES TO WORK
OUT AT A TRANSFER REFORM AGREEMENT AS WELL.
AND SO WE'RE TRYING INCREMENTALLY SOLVE THAT PROBLEM
WITH LIMITED RESOURCES THAT WE HAVE.
AND WE ARE VERY CREATIVE
IN INTRODUCING THE TRANSFER REFORM MOVEMENT LAST YEAR.
SO THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUESTION.
>> THANK YOU.
THE MAIN THING I WANTED TO COMMUNICATE IS THAT IT'S--
THE SITUATION IS NOT OKAY AND IT'S YOUR JOB TO FIND SOLUTIONS
AND I'M LETTING YOU KNOW THAT WE NEED THE SOLUTIONS.
WE KNOW WE NEED THEM.
SO THANK YOU FOR LOOKING.
[APPLAUSE] [INAUDIBLE REMARK]
>> THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUESTION.
I JUST WANTED TO SAY IT'S I THINK IT'S ALL
OF OUR RESPONSIBILITIES TO FIND SOLUTIONS TO PRESENT
TO THE LEGISLATOR AND ALSO, I THINK AS STUDENTS,
WE HAVE A PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY,
ESPECIALLY STUDENT LEADERS TO ACTUALLY BE ACTIVE
IN THE PROCESS AND BE TALKING ABOUT THESE ISSUES
WHICH IS WHY WE HAVE THIS DIALOGUE NOW WITH STUDENTS
SO THAT WE KNOW WHAT IT IS YOUR CONCERNS ARE.
SO I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU ALL TO GET REALLY INVOLVED
IN YOUR COMMUNITIES, AS WELL AS TALK TO YOUR LEGISLATORS
ABOUT WHAT THE ISSUES ARE.
[APPLAUSE]
>> HELLO, GOOD AFTERNOON.
MY NAME IS BEN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
MR. BOLLARD PROVIDED A VERY INFORMATIONAL PIE CHART
WHICH SHOWED HOW TAXES ARE BEING ALLOCATED.
AND ONE OF THE STATISTICS IS FUNDING FOR PRISONS
AS COMMENSURATE TO EDUCATION WHICH IS REALLY STARTLING,
AND I GUESS, MY QUESTION IS HOW ARE OUR LEGISLATORS
SUBSTANTIVELY ADDRESSING THE GROWTH
OF OUR PRISON INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX DUE TO THE PRIVATIZATION?
AND I SUPPOSE THE STATISTICS IS ON THE RISE
AND WILL OVERSHADOW POSSIBLY OTHER, OUR TOP 5 BUDGET DEMANDS,
SO IF YOU MAY ADDRESS THAT, PLEASE.
>WELL, THAT SOUNDS LIKE ONE THAT I HAVE TO ANSWER.
PRISONS, WE'RE SPENDING MORE MONEY ON PRISONS NOW
THAN HIGHER EDUCATION.
NOW, GET THIS, 34 PRISONS, ABOUT 170,000 PEOPLE IN THE PRISON.
WE SPEND 50,000 DOLLARS PER PERSON ON THE AVERAGE
FOR EACH ONE OF THE PEOPLE IN THE PRISONS.
WE HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE PRISONS
THAT WE HAVE AN OVERFLOW SITUATION
AND WE SEND 10,000 PEOPLE TO PRISONS IN MICHIGAN,
MISSISSIPPI, TEXAS, OKLAHOMA.
WE SEND OUT 2500 PEOPLE TO MISSISSIPPI
TO HOUSE CALIFORNIA PRISON INMATES.
WHAT WE NEED IS WE NEED A REFORM, YOU KNOW,
WHEN THE GENTLEMEN TALKED ABOUT LONG RANGE, WE NEED A STRATEGY
TO DEAL WITH THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
TO CHANGE THE REASON WHY PEOPLE ARE IN PRISON
AND THE REASON WHY PEOPLE GO INTO PRISON AND THEN 75 PERCENT
OF THE PEOPLE THAT GO INTO THE PRISON, WHEN THEY'RE LET OUT,
TWO YEARS LATER, THEY'RE BACK IN PRISON, DID YOU KNOW THAT?
SO IT'S LIKE THEY COME IN AND OUT, IN AND OUT, IN AND OUT.
AND WE NEED TO HAVE POLICIES THAT DEAL WITH THAT,
AND ONE OF THE BIGGEST THINGS THAT I'VE BEEN WORKING
ON IS I'M CHAIRMAN OF THE DRUG AND ALCOHOL COMMITTEE
AND I THINK THAT WE NEED TO HAVE REFORM OF DRUG
AND ALCOHOL POLICIES IN CALIFORNIA [APPLAUSE]
AND GET PEOPLE OUT OF PRISONS.
WE NEED TO GET PEOPLE INTO TREATMENT, NOT INTO PRISON.
AND THAT WOULD SAVE A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY.
THERE'S A PROPOSAL IN OUR BUDGET AND SOME LEGISLATIVE PROPOSALS
TO REDUCE THE PENALTIES FOR DRUG OFFENSES.
I THINK THAT'S WORTHY OF CONSIDERATION.
I ALSO THINK THAT WE HAVE TO HAVE A LONG-RANGE STRATEGY
TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT ARE ADDICTED AND HAVE,
YOU KNOW, THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY JAIL HAS 2500 PEOPLE IN IT
THAT ARE MENTALLY ILL AND THEY SIT AROUND DURING THE DAY
WITH 18-INCH CHAINS CHAINED TO TABLES,
THEY'RE MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE.
AND COULD YOU IMAGINE WHY WE LET OURSELVES GET IN THE SITUATION
WHERE WE'RE SPENDING THIS KIND OF MONEY ON PEOPLE
BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ADEQUATE MENTAL HEALTH PROGRAMS
IN CALIFORNIA.
SO WE'RE SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY ON THIS, AND GUESS WHAT?
EVERY DIME SPENT ON PRISON IS TAKEN AWAY
FROM HIGHER EDUCATION.
YOU SAW THAT CHART?
EVERY DIME THAT'S SPENT ON INCREASING THE BUDGET
FOR PRISONS IS TAKEN AWAY FROM HIGHER EDUCATION.
SO YOU HAVE TO DEAL NOT WITH JUST,
WITH HIGHER EDUCATION BUDGET, IF YOU WANT A SOLUTION.
IF YOU WANT A STRATEGY, YOU HAVE TO SPEND A TIME ON FIGHTING
FOR REFORM IN THE PRISON SYSTEM.
AND THAT'S SOMETHING I THINK WE ARE REALLY RECOGNIZED.
SO THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT.
OTHER PEOPLE?
BOB?
>> YEAH. I THINK ONE OF THE THINGS YOU ASK YOURSELF
OF ROOM FULL OF STUDENTS.
HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?
WHERE WAS-- WHAT WAS THE TRIGGER?
WHY DO WE JUST SOMEBODY FELL OUT OF BED AND DECIDED WE WANT
TO START PAYING MORE MONEY ON PRISONS AND WE LOOK AT IT
AND WE KNOW WHEN WE PASS MANDATORY SENTENCES.
WE TOOK DISCRETION AWAY FROM JUDGES AND WE SAID, YOU KNOW,
WE HAVE THESE CLICHES, THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE OUT.
IT'S LIKE A BASEBALL GAME, AND IT SOUNDS GOOD WHEN PEOPLE TALK
ABOUT IT BUT WE HAVE TO HAVE MORE DISCRETION IN THE JUDICIARY
TO DETERMINE THIS BECAUSE THE JUDGES DON'T HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY
TO MAKE, TO SENTENCE SOMEBODY FOR A LESSER TIME.
AND AGAIN, WE HAVE TO--
EVERYBODY SEARCHING THROUGH THEIR SOUL.
THERE'S AN ELEMENT OF WE WANT TO PUNISH PEOPLE.
DOES SOMEONE REMEMBER BELL'S, RIGHT, BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE GO
IN THERE BECAUSE THEY'RE SELLING POT OR HAVE POSSESSION OF DRUGS
AND WE JUST-- IT'S, I MEAN I GRADUATED FROM BERKELEY IN 1977.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT DRUG, WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE DRUG LAWS
AND THAT HAPPENED AT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
WE FEDERALIZED A LOT OF THESE OFFENSES AND TOLERANCES.
UNTIL WE REVERSE THOSE, WE'RE SORT OF STUCK
BECAUSE THIS IS THE SOCIETY THAT WE LIVE IN, YOU KNOW,
WE HAVE TO BE MORE TOLERANT I THINK OF PEOPLE'S LIFESTYLES,
YOU KNOW, LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE GETTING BUSTED
FOR GROWING POT.
AND THEY'RE, YOU KNOW, AND THEY'RE GOING TO PRISON,
THEY'RE GOING TO THE BIG HOUSE FOR OVER, FOR 5 YEARS.
IT'S JUST A PHILOSOPHICAL QUESTION.
>> [INAUDIBLE] OF PUTTING THE MONEY RATHER
THAN IN INCARCERATION WHERE THE RECIDIVISM RATE
AS JIM WAS TALKING ABOUT IS 70 PERCENT THEN THEY'RE BACK
IN IN A COUPLE OF YEARS.
LET'S PUT IT INTO THE PROGRAMS AND THAT'S
THROUGH THE REALIGNMENT THAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO
WITH THE GOVERNOR'S PROPOSAL LAST YEAR IS
TO BRING THOSE PRISONERS BACK LOCALLY
WHERE THEY CAN BE SERVED BETTER, WE CAN SOLVE SOME
OF THOSE SUBSTANCES ABUSE PROBLEMS AND HOPEFULLY,
PUT THOSE RESOURCES BACK
TO HIGHER EDUCATION WHERE THEY BELONG.
>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> I'M HOPING THAT MOST
OF THE PEOPLE SITTING HERE WOULD UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH.
I WAS NOT READY, I THOUGHT WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ASK QUESTION
BUT I'M JUST GOING TO GIVE A VERY BRIEF INFORMATION
ABOUT MY LIFE AND THEN I'M GOING
TO ASK YOU GUYS A COUPLE OF QUESTION.
I CAME TO AMERICA JUST BECAUSE I COULDN'T GO
TO THE HONOR PROGRAM IN MY COUNTRY.
IT'S BECAUSE I'M A MINORITY THERE.
BECAUSE I WAS A MINORITY IN IRAN I COULDN'T GO AND PLAY
IN THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL FOR MY SOCCER TEAM.
AND JUST BEING IRANIAN IN TURKEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,
SO I CAME TO THIS COUNTRY TO START EVERYTHING ALL OVER AGAIN,
TO JUST EDUCATE MYSELF.
AND EXACTLY JUST 2 MONTHS AFTER I CAME, SEPTEMBER 11 HAPPENED.
AND SINCE THEN I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IMMIGRATION.
AND THE MAIN PROBLEM THAT I HAVE
WITH THE HOMELAND SECURITIES, THEY LOST MY FILE.
THAT'S WHY I CANNOT LEAVE THIS COUNTRY.
THEY SAY "OKAY, WE JUST GIVE YOU A TEMPORARY GREEN CARD EVERY
SINGLE YEAR BUT YOU CANNOT LEAVE THIS COUNTRY".
BECAUSE OF THAT I COULDN'T GO TO THE UCLA HONOR PROGRAM
FOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE 100,000 DOLLARS
TO PAY A NON-RESIDENCY FEE.
I LOVE THIS COUNTRY.
THIS COUNTRY GIVES ME OPPORTUNITY
TO TALK WITHOUT GETTING SHOT.
AND I KNOW THAT CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT SPEND 5 TIMES
ON PRISON THAN EDUCATION.
BUT I'M GOING TO ASK YOU THIS QUESTION.
DON'T YOU THINK THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM
BY NOT EDUCATING THOSE PRISONERS AND THEY'RE COMING
TO THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?
I'M A MATH TUTOR AND THIS IS THE ONLY PART THAT I REALLY FEEL
THAT I'M DOING SOMETHING FOR COMMUNITY, I TUTOR KIDS.
AND THEY'RE COMING TO THE COLLEGE WITHOUT KNOWING ALGEBRA
WHICH THEY HAD TAKEN IN THE SECONDARY SCHOOL, IN HIGH SCHOOL
AND THEY HAVE TO REPEAT IT AGAIN.
WHY? I USED TO HAVE TO PAY 220 DOLLARS FOR 1 UNIT
BECAUSE I BELIEVE THE CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT HAS TO MAKE
THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY TO PAY
FOR EVERY SINGLE UNIT THAT WE TAKE HERE.
AND BY DROPPING ALL OF THESE CLASSES,
BY HAVING A VERY WRONG PLACEMENT TEST,
PEOPLE INTO VERY HIGH MATH LEVEL, THEY GET A C,
THEY PASS THE CLASSES.
BUT WHEN THEY GRADUATE THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING
TO PROMOTE TO THE ECONOMY.
THEY DON'T WANT TO LEARN ANYMORE.
I WANT TO ASK YOU GUYS THIS QUESTION.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO STOP THINKING THAT EDUCATION IS A BUSINESS?
WOULD YOU GUYS JUST THINK
THAT EDUCATION IS GOING TO BUILD OUR FUTURE?
[APPLAUSE] THIS COUNTRY OWES 53 TRILLION DOLLARS
FOR INSIDE AND OUTSIDE SOURCES.
WHY OUR CHILDREN HAVE TO PAY THAT MONEY JUST
BECAUSE YOU CANNOT EDUCATE US.
>> LET ME JUMP IN BECAUSE YOU'LL GET 4 OR 5 QUESTIONS
AND I WON'T BE ABLE TO ANSWER IT.
WE MADE A COMMITMENT IN THE '60S TO PROVIDE FREE EDUCATION.
CALIFORNIA WAS THE MODEL OF THE WORLD FOR PROVIDING EDUCATION.
I DON'T, I'M NOT FOCUSING ON EDUCATING SOMEBODY
IN THE PRISON, EDUCATING SOMEBODY WHO'S A VETERAN,
EDUCATING SINGLE MOTHER.
I'M INTERESTED IN EDUCATING EVERYBODY.
EVERYBODY GETS AN EDUC--
EVERYBODY GETS-- HAS AN OPPORTUNITY.
NOW, WE'RE OFF TRACK AND WE'VE WANDERED FROM THAT PATH
BECAUSE WE'RE DOING OTHER THINGS.
I WANT TO GET BACK ON THE PATH.
I DON'T THINK THERE'S A PERSON THAT'S UP HERE THAT DOESN'T--
ISN'T COMMITTED TO DOING THAT.
ONE OF THE SMALL THINGS WE DO IS WE HAVE A BILL
THAT OUR SPEAKERS INTRODUCE ON THE MIDDLE CLASS COLLEGE--
MIDDLE CLASS SCHOLARSHIP WHERE WE'RE GOING
TO CLOSE A CORPORATE LOOPHOLE FOR OUT-OF-STATE CORPORATIONS
AND WE'RE GOING-- AND HOPEFULLY, REDUCE THE TUITION THAT WE HAD
UP ON HERE BY THREE QUARTERS.
IT'S NOT GOING TO SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT,
BUT THE IDEA IS THAT WE'RE GETTING BACK ON THE PATH
AND THAT'S THE COMMITMENT
THAT AT LEAST I AM SITTING HERE CAN MAKE TO YOU.
IT'S A BIG PROBLEM.
>> WHAT'S THE NUMBER OF THAT BILL?
>> 1500 AND 1501.
>> AB 1500 AND 1501.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
APPRECIATE IT.
>> MAY I ASK ONE LAST QUESTION?
>> IF YOU REALLY ASK IT ONCE, QUICKLY.
[LAUGHTER]
>> I AM BEING-- HAVING A LOT OF PROBLEM WITH THE PEOPLE
AROUND ME JUST BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO TELL THE TRUTH,
I WANT TO HAVE INTEGRITY, OKAY?
THE CONSTITUTION OF THIS COUNTRY IS THE ONLY CONSTITUTION
IN THE WORLD THAT THEY-- THEY DON'T HAVE IS THE WORD CITIZEN,
IT SAYS PEOPLE AND I BELIEVE ON ONE OF THEM.
I'M GOING TO ASK YOU THIS QUESTION.
I REALLY KNOW THAT YOU GUYS HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEM
WITH THE GOVERNMENT, BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE,
JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME INSIDE OF CAMPUSES,
YOU'RE LOSING A LOT OF MONEY.
JUST BECAUSE THE UNION HAS A PROBLEM WITH ADMINISTRATION,
WE HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT MISTAKES BECAUSE SOMEONE
WHO DOESN'T REALLY KNOW HOW TO TEACH HAVE TO SIT THERE
BECAUSE HE HAVE A TENURE.
PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT.
>> THANK YOU.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> LET ME SEE.
CAN YOU HEAR ME OKAY?
>> YEAH.
>> HI. SO I'M A STUDENT AT DE ANZA,
NOT A RETURNING STUDENT, I'M A STUDENT.
SO WHEN I CAME HERE IT WAS MY FIRST EXPERIENCE IN COLLEGE.
DE ANZA IS GREAT, THANK YOU.
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME, SORRY, TO MANAGE SCHOOL LIFE AND THIS TYPE
OF WORK, I'M IMPRESSED.
OBVIOUSLY, YOUR JOBS ARE BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION-- SORRY.
I WILL SAY THAT IN A CONVERSATION WITH A FRIEND,
A NEIGHBOR THE OTHER NIGHT AND TALKING
ABOUT THE CHALLENGES STUDENTS HAVE AT DE ANZA GETTING CLASSES,
THAT I BROUGHT UP THAT THERE'S PRIORITY ENROLLMENT,
AND SO BASED ON THE NUMBER OF UNITS YOU HAVE PERHAPS
OR WHETHER OR NOT YOU'RE AN HONOR STUDENT
OR ON A SPORTS TEAM
OR AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT HELPS YOU GET YOUR CLASSES
SOONER OR LATER.
WHEN THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE STARTED ITS, MY UNDERSTANDING,
THAT THEY WERE FOR THE COMMUNITY.
CURRENTLY, INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS PAY MORE IN TUITION
AND THEY DO HAVE PRIORITY REGISTRATION.
NOW, I MAY BE WILLING TO PAY THE SAME IN TUITION
BUT I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY.
AND I UNDERSTAND THAT THE TUITION THEY PAY HELPS COVER A
LOT OF EXPENSES SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BALANCE IS
BUT I THINK THE MISSION STATEMENT NEEDS TO BE REWRITTEN
BECAUSE IF IT'S TRULY TO IDENTIFY MEETING THE NEEDS
OF THE COMMUNITY, THEN ADDRESS OUR NEEDS AS RESIDENTS WHO LIVE
WITHIN 15 OR 20 MILES OF HERE.
THE OTHER THING I NOTICED, SO I'D ASK THAT YOU DO THAT,
I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU FUND IT, I WISH I COULD HELP,
I WISH I HAD SOLUTION.
BUT I THINK TO REVISIT WHAT THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE REALLY IS
AND THEN HOW TO FUND IT BECAUSE IF YOU CONTINUE
ON THE MISSION STATEMENT THAT WAS IN PLACE, IT'S--
I DON'T THINK IT'S GOING TO WORK
AND I THINK THERE'LL ALWAYS BE A STRUGGLE
TO MEET EVERYBODY'S NEEDS.
ON THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE WEBSITE,
TRYING TO DO A LITTLE RESEARCH 'CAUSE I DON'T KNOW
AS MUCH I NEED TO KNOW, I'M A STUDENT WORKING REALLY HARD JUST
TO PASS MY CLASSES AND TRANSFER.
DE ANZA APPARENTLY SENDS REPRESENTATIVES
TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO COME HERE.
SO AGAIN, AND I BRING THAT UP BECAUSE I WONDER WHY.
WE HAVE ENOUGH COMMUNITY MEMBERS WHO WANT TO ATTEND SCHOOL
WHO CAN'T GET CLASSES AND WHO MAY NOT HAVE THE
SAME OPPORTUNITIES.
SO I REALLY LIKE YOU TO ADDRESS THE MISSION STATEMENT
AND THEN BE HONEST WITH THE COMMUNITY THAT'S PAYING THE
TAXES ABOUT WHAT THAT REALLY MEANS.
>> SO, I CAN ANSWER THE ENROLLMENT PRIORITY QUESTION.
ACTUALLY, AT THE MEETING I WAS AT JUST BEFORE HERE WE TALKED
AT LENGTH ABOUT ENROLLMENT PRIORITY.
THERE'S PROPOSED CHANGES FOR IT.
AND CURRENTLY, I'M NOT SURE WHETHER
OR NOT DE ANZA GIVES PRIORITY ENROLLMENT
TO INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS BUT THE ENROLLMENT PRIORITY SYSTEMS
AT EACH COLLEGE IS DETERMINED BY EACH COLLEGE OUTSIDE
OF WHAT THE STATE MANDATES WHICH IS FOSTER YOUTH, VETERANS, EOPS,
AND DISABLED STUDENTS, DSPS STUDENTS
AND SO THOSE ARE THE FOUR CATEGORIES THAT REQUIRE
OR THAT ARE REQUIRED TO BE THE TOP PRIORITY
THAT GETS PLACED IN LINE.
OH, AND CALWORKS, EOPS/CARE, CALWORKS,
THAT COHORT OF STUDENTS, MY APOLOGIES,
THERE ARE SOME STUDENTS IN CALWORKS
WHO AREN'T IN EOPS AND THE LIKE.
SO THOSE STUDENTS AND I THINK THERE'S OTHER BILLS AS WELL
THAT ADDRESS THAT AND SO, BUT EVERYBODY ELSE, SO THE ATHLETES,
THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT MEMBERS,
ALL THAT STUFF IS ALL DETERMINED LOCALLY
SO ON THE STATEWIDE LEVEL, IN TERMS OF OUR MISSION
TO SERVE OUR COMMUNITY AND PROVIDE BASIC SKILLS, EDUCATION,
TRANSFER EDUCATION, AND CAREER TECHNICAL EDUCATION,
THAT HAS NOT CHANGED BUT PERHAPS IT'S A LOCAL PRIORITY AND SO,
I MEAN, TRUSTEE KINNER MIGHT BE THE BEST TO ANSWER
OR PERHAPS YOUR COLLEGE PRESIDENT BUT I KNOW
AT THE STATEWIDE LEVEL, THOSE FOUR ARE THE TOP THAT WE REQUIRE
OR THAT WE ENCOURAGE DISTRICTS TO DO.
ANYTHING ELSE IS ON THE DISTRICT BUT THAT IS THE CONCERN
THAT WE HEAR A LOT IS THAT THERE'S SOME DISTRICTS
WHO GIVE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS PRIORITY REGISTRATION
AND THEY FEEL THAT THEY'RE TAKING AWAY SEATS FROM, I GUESS,
DOMESTIC STUDENTS IF YOU WANT TO CALL THEM THAT,
JUST BECAUSE THEY PAY HIGHER AND THAT'S NOT NECESSARILY TRUE
ACROSS THE STATE SO AS A SYSTEM, WE'RE LOOKING
AT ENROLLMENT PRIORITIES AND OBVIOUSLY, YOU KNOW,
STUDENTS WHO GRADUATE FROM HIGH SCHOOL AREN'T GETTING THE SEATS
BECAUSE THERE ARE STUDENTS LIKE US WHO'VE BEEN
IN THE SYSTEM FOR A LITTLE WHILE.
THIS IS MY LAST SEMESTER SO, YOU KNOW, THAT FINALLY I'M GETTING
OUT OF OHLONE, NOT 'CAUSE IT'S BAD BUT,
YOU KNOW, I GOT TO MOVE ON.
AND SO AS A STATE, WE'RE LOOKING AT ENROLLMENT PRIORITIES
AND HOW WE GOVERN OUR COLLEGES SO WE ARE LOOKING AT THAT
AT A STATEWIDE LEVEL AND THE STUDENT SUCCESS TASK FORCE
WHICH TRUSTEE KINNER ALLUDED TO EARLIER, THERE IS SOME STUFF
IN THERE ABOUT-- THAT COULD POTENTIALLY CHANGE THE MISSION
OF THE SYSTEM BUT PERSONALLY, I DON'T THINK IT WOULD CHANGE IT
TO FAVOR MORE OUT OF STATE OR OUT OF--
OR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS SO THAT'S PROBABLY A DIALOGUE
THAT YOU CAN HAVE AT THE LOCAL LEVEL
ABOUT ENROLLMENT PRIORITIES FOR YOUR COLLEGE.
>> I'LL JUST-- I GUESS I'LL JUST MAKE A PERSONAL COMMENT
BECAUSE I THINK THE QUESTION YOU, AND THANK YOU
FOR YOUR QUESTION, IT IS ACTUALLY A CONCERN A LOT
OF STUDENTS HAVE ESPECIALLY TODAY.
I THINK IT'S A BIGGER ISSUE IN THE UC AND CSU SYSTEM
BECAUSE THERE A LOT OF THESE COLLEGES ARE ACTUALLY RECRUITING
OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES TO BRING IN STUDENTS
THAT WILL PAY MORE IN FEES TO BRING REVENUE.
I PERSONALLY DON'T THINK THAT'S THE CASE
IN THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM AND I CAN TELL YOU
WITH OUR OWN DISTRICT, THE REASON WHY WE GO
TO DIFFERENT COMMUNITIES OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES IS
SO THAT WE CAN BRING MORE DIVERSITY INTO THIS CAMPUS,
WE ALSO BRING IN MORE REVENUE IN EFFECT BUT ALL
OF THAT REVENUE GOES BACK IN TO PROGRAMS.
AND I JUST WANT TO SAY
THAT I THINK THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ARE ALSO PART
OF OUR COMMUNITY.
I DON'T THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BE SEPARATED FROM [APPLAUSE]--
I THINK WE SHOULD EMBRACE THEM AS PART OF OUR COMMUNITY
AND IF YOU LOOK AT PERCENTAGES AND I KNOW THIS ISN'T
ON THE WEBSITE, BUT YOU'LL SEE
THAT IT'S ACTUALLY VERY LOW PERCENTAGE OF OUR POPULATION
THAT ARE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS.
I THINK AT DE ANZA IT'S UNDER 2,000 STUDENTS SO--
BUT THANK YOU, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENT.
IT'S A CONTENTIOUS ISSUE IN THE STATE ESPECIALLY
AT THE HIGHER LEVELS OF EDUCATION, SO THANK YOU.
>> YEAH, AND LET ME JUST SAY REAL QUICK.
THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS I HAVE LEARNED A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT
FROM 'CAUSE I'VE WORKED WITH SO MANY, THEY'RE AMAZING.
I MEAN, THEY ARE TAKING THEIR CLASSES
IN A SECOND LANGUAGE AND DOING GREAT.
I'M IN AWE OF WHAT THEY'RE CAPABLE OF, AND I JUST--
SO IT'S NOT THAT I WANT TO EXCLUDE THEM OR SEPARATE US,
I JUST THINK YOU ALL NEED TO KNOW
THAT WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT NOW THAN WE WERE IN 1960, RIGHT?
AND SO TO STATE THAT MISSION STATEMENT INITIALLY
WHICH I LOVE, OF COURSE, IS YOU KNOW,
MY FAMILY HELP BUILD THE COLLEGE.
I JUST THINK IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU REALIZE
THAT THERE'S A LOT MORE TO IT THAN JUST BACK TO THE BASICS
AND HOW TO SOLVE THE BUDGET ISSUES THAT WAY.
THANK YOU.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> HI. I JUST HAVE A QUICK QUESTION FOR THE STUDENT PANEL.
I'M A RECIPIENT OF CAL GRANT AND BOARD
OF GOVERNOR WAIVER, ME AND MY SISTER ARE.
SO I JUST CAME-- I WANT TO ASK EMILY, I WASN'T AWARE
OF THE CREDIT LIMIT THAT YOU HAD TO TAKE AND I JUST WANT--
I CAME TO THIS MEETING TO BE MORE AWARE OF THE ISSUES
THAT WE HAVE AND I JUST WANTED YOU TO CLARIFY IT
FOR ME 'CAUSE I TAKE ABOUT 20-- MORE THAN 20 UNITS PER QUARTER
SO FAR SO, YEAH, I JUST WANTED CLARIFIED.
>> I THINK THAT'S A REALLY GOOD QUESTION ESPECIALLY
SINCE WE HAVE SO MANY HANDS GO UP OF RECIPIENTS
OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS WAIVER.
I WILL TELL YOU THAT ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I'M MOST PROUD
OF OF THE STUDENTS IN CALIFORNIA IS THEIR ACTIVISM SURROUNDING
THE BOARD OF GOVERNOR RESTRICTIONS
WITH THE STUDENT SUCCESS TASK FORCE BECAUSE IT WAS RECOMMENDED
TO THE LEGISLATURE THAT WE WOULD HAVE THE UNIT CAP OF 110 UNITS
AND BECAUSE OF THE STUDENT VOICES THAT THEY'VE HEARD,
THEY'VE REMOVED IT ENTIRELY SO THAT CAP IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT
AS OF TUESDAY ACTUALLY WHERE WE WERE TESTIFYING AGAINST IT.
SO THANK YOU FOR THAT QUESTION.
THAT'S NOW REMOVED BUT I-- YOU KNOW, IF YOU WANT TO COME
AND TALK TO ANY OF US LATER, WE CAN TALK TO YOU MORE
ABOUT THE RESTRICTIONS THAT ARE STILL BEING DISCUSSED
IN THE ASSEMBLY AND THE SENATE ABOUT CAL GRANT AND ABOUT BOARD
OF GOVERNORS FEE WAIVER BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT--
THERE'S A LOT GOING ON.
ON TUESDAY, I THINK IT WAS TUESDAY, WE TESTIFIED--
WE WERE HONORED TO TESTIFY ACTUALLY
WITH ASSEMBLY MEMBER FONG AND ASSEMBLY MEMBER WIECKOWSKI,
BOTH ABOUT SORT OF FUNDING ISSUES WITH FACULTY
AND COUNSELING WITH ASSEMBLY MEMBER FONG AND THEN ALSO
WITH ASSEMBLY MEMBER WIECKOWSKI ABOUT REFORMING THE CALCULATION
ABOUT FEDERAL STUDENT LOAN DEFAULT RATES
WHICH IS THIS COMPLICATED THING BUT IT'S NOT REFLECTIVE
OF THE STUDENTS THAT ARE TAKING IT OUT
AND THAT AFFECTS THE CAL GRANTS THAT WE RECEIVE AT THE COLLEGE
SO I REALLY LIKE THAT YOU'RE ASKING THE QUESTIONS.
I HOPE THAT YOU ASK MORE AND WE'D LOVE TO TALK WITH YOU MORE
ABOUT HOW TO BE ACTIVE IN THE PROCESS
SO WE CAN STOP THE RESTRICTIONS.
>> THANK YOU.
>> I'M JUST GOING TO MAKE A VERY BRIEF COMMENT.
AT THE STATEWIDE LEVEL WE'VE BEEN ADVOCATING FOR THE REMOVAL
OF THE UNIT CAP FOR THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS FEE WAIVER
AND WE WERE SUCCESSFUL IN THAT,
SOMETHING THAT EMILY DID NOT MENTION.
EMILY IS THE REASON WHY,
ON THE STUDENT SIDE IS THE REASON WHY IT'S GONE.
[APPLAUSE] SO, SHE DESERVES A LOT MORE CREDIT, IT WAS HER--
IT WAS HER TIRELESS ADVOCACY AND TALKING TO COUNTLESS PEOPLE
AND ONE OF THE BIGGEST VOICES FOR REMOVING THE CAP AND SO
ON THE STUDENT SIDE, WE CREDIT HER FOR THAT
SO THANK YOU EMILY FOR THAT.
[APPLAUSE]
>> I WANT TO-- I WANT TO CLARIFY ONE THING BECAUSE YOU'RE HERE,
IT'S USEFUL TO KNOW IT.
THERE WAS A REFERENCE MADE
TO COLLECTIVE BARGAINING UNITS INTO THE TABLE.
THIS DISTRICT HAS ENJOYED AN INCREDIBLE SPIRIT
OF GENUINE ENGAGEMENT WITH OUR BARGAINING UNITS
AND THE DISTRICT AND WE'VE RENEGOTIATED BENEFITS TWICE
IN THE LAST THREE YEARS WITH ALL OF THE UNIONS
IN WHAT IS A GENUINE COLLECTIVE EFFORT
TO KEEP THE DOORS OPEN EVEN
IF EVERY EMPLOYEE HERE IS PAYING MORE
AND EVERY EMPLOYEE IS PAYING A LOT MORE.
SO AT LEAST IN THIS PARTICULAR AREA, I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW
THAT YOU'VE GOT GOOD UNION REPRESENTATIVES
THAT ARE WORKING VERY COLLABORATIVELY
AND IT'S REALLY MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THE SPIRIT
OF HOW WE'RE APPROACHING IT.
YEAH.
>> I'M A STUDENT AT WEST VALLEY IN THE CHILD STUDIES PROGRAM
AND I'M WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING
TO HELP FUND SPECIAL EDUCATION ESPECIALLY
IN THE EARLY CHILDHOOD SIDE OF THINGS
BECAUSE THOSE CHILDREN NEED THE MOST SUPPORT FROM TEACHERS,
FROM PARENTS, FROM EVERYBODY,
AND IF THEY DON'T GET THE EDUCATION THAT THEY NEED,
THEY'RE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO BE SUCCESSFUL LATER ON IN LIFE.
SO I'M JUST WONDERING HOW YOU GUYS ARE HANDLING ALL THOSE CUTS
BECAUSE I KNOW THAT THERE HAVE BEEN MANY.
>> WELL, FIRST OF ALL, THERE'S CONSTANT ATTACK ON CHILD CARE,
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION PROGRAMS CONSTANTLY ARE ATTACKED
AS A BUDGET TARGET BECAUSE THEY'RE SORT OF LOOKED
AT AS SORT OF A DISCRETIONARY KIND OF ISSUE IN TERMS
OF HIGHER EDUCATION BUT PERSONALLY, I THINK SOME OF US--
I THINK MOST OF US, WE ALL LOOK AT IT AS AN ESSENTIAL THING.
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THESE PROGRAMS,
PEOPLE WITH KIDS CAN'T GO TO COLLEGE, RIGHT?
YOU'RE JUST SHUTTING THE DOOR FOR PEOPLE WITH KIDS
AND I THINK ALSO THAT EDUCATION TRAINING FOR CHILDCARE WORKERS,
THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT,
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION?
>> YEAH, EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL--
>> SPECIAL, YEAH.
SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS, THOSE PROGRAMS ARE ESSENTIAL
BECAUSE GUESS WHAT,
WE'RE GETTING MORE AND MORE KIDS WITH--
>> AUTISM.
>> AUTISM AND THOSE KINDS OF PROGRAMS
AND WE'RE VERY FORTUNATE THIS YEAR TO PASS A LAW
THAT FUNDED CARE FOR PEOPLE WITH AUTISM.
WE FORCED THE INSURANCE COMPANIES TO COVER AUTISM.
THIS LAST YEAR THERE WAS A BIG POLICY DIRECTION
AND A BIG VICTORY FOR CHILDREN OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
TO GET THE INSURANCE COMPANIES TO COVER CARE
OF CHILDREN THAT HAVE AUTISM.
SO ANYWAY, TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, THOSE ARE VIEWED
BY US HERE AS VERY IMPORTANT PRIORITIES
THAT WE WILL FIGHT FOR IN THE BUDGET.
>> OKAY.
>> OKAY? THANK YOU AND I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE WANT
TO COMMENT ABOUT THAT.
TIM, YOU MENTIONED THAT YOU NEEDED THAT CHILD CARE AND SOME
OF YOU NEED THAT CHILD CARE, YOU WANT TO COMMENT ON THAT?
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF IT GOT PULLED AWAY?
>> YEAH, IF THE CHILD CARE GOT PULLED AWAY, YOU KNOW,
THAT WOULD STOP ME AND MY EDUCATION IMMEDIATELY.
I DON'T HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE PLAN AND, YOU KNOW,
MOST OF MY FAMILY IS NOT IN THE AREA.
THE OTHER THING IS THAT MY CHILD IS 4 YEARS OLD
AND SHE'S HAVING A TOUGH TIME GETTING INTO PRE-SCHOOL.
NOW, THEY WANT TO CUT THE HEAD START PROGRAM SO IT SEEMS
LIKE EVERYWHERE WE'RE TURNING, YOU KNOW, I WAS HOPING
THAT MAYBE, YOU KNOW, IF, WORST CASE SCENARIO,
THESE CUTS DID COME, MAYBE THEY WOULD COME THE FOLLOWING YEAR
BUT, YOU KNOW, EVEN HEAD START IS GOING TO BE LOOKING TO BE CUT
SO I'M REALLY STUCK, YOU KNOW.
I DON'T-- I'M LOOKING TO YOU GUYS TO PROVIDE, YOU KNOW,
SOME PATH FORWARD AND I'M JUST HOPING THAT THERE WILL BE
BUT YEAH, THESE PROGRAMS ARE ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FOR ME
TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO GO TO SCHOOL AND FOR MY DAUGHTER
TO BE ABLE TO GET AN EDUCATION TOO.
>> CAN I MAKE A COMMENT QUICKLY?
MY STEPSON, HE'S AUTISTIC, ASPERGER'S, AND EVEN THE SCHOOLS
IN ELEMENTARY LEVEL, THEY WON'T GIVE HIM THE SPECIAL NEEDS
THAT HE NEEDS BECAUSE HE DOESN'T MEET A CERTAIN CRITERIA.
SO THAT'S PRETTY DIFFICULT TOO
AND HE'S NOT GETTING THE EDUCATION
THAT I THINK HE SHOULD.
>> OKAY.
>> SO IT'S--
>> JULIA, THE LAW THIS YEAR AS OF JANUARY CHANGED, YOU KNOW.
SO THE LAW SAYS THAT WE HAVE TO COVER CHILDREN WITH ASPERGER'S
AND AUTISM AND IT'S NOT A RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SCHOOLS.
YOU KNOW, THEY USED TO SAY, THE INSURANCE COMPANIES
AND MEDICAL CARE SAID IT WAS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SCHOOLS
AND THEY KIND OF SHOVED IT TO THE SCHOOLS
AND THEN WE PASSED A LAW THIS YEAR THAT SAID, HEY, NO.
MEDICAL SYSTEM HAS TO TAKE CARE OF KIDS WITH AUTISM
AND SO WE WILL-- YOU KNOW, IF YOU NEED HELP,
WE WILL WORK WITH YOU ON THAT.
THERE IS A NEW LAW, THERE ARE SOME NEW LAWS ON THE BOOKS
ON THIS AND THEY'RE NOW ENFORCING THOSE LAWS.
AND IT WAS BECAUSE A LOT OF PARENTS FILED LAWSUITS
AND THEN CAME UP TO SACRAMENTO AND LOBBIED
AND WE ACHIEVED A GREAT VICTORY THIS YEAR,
THIS LAST YEAR ON THAT.
>> THANK YOU.
>> LET ME-- WE HAVE ABOUT-- WE HAVE ABOUT 15 MINUTES
AND BY OUR COUNT, WE HAVE ABOUT 7 OR 8 PEOPLE.
SO IF YOU'RE NOT ALREADY IN THE LINE, I THINK THE LINE IS GOING
TO RUN OUT AND THEN THE OTHER THING IS THIS PUTS PRESSURE
ON EACH OF YOU TO BE BRIEF.
[LAUGHTER]
>> HI, MY NAME IS TIMOTHY.
I WANTED TO SHARE SOME INSIGHT ON THE PRISON SYSTEM.
I FEEL LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE GO TO JAIL, GO TO PRISON
BECAUSE OF THE QUALITY OF LIFE THEY'RE LIVING.
LIKE FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN I WAS 16 YEARS OLD,
I NEVER EXPERIENCED DE ANZA, I NEVER EXPERIENCED FINANCIAL AID,
NO SERVICES, AND I WAS HAVING THE MENTALITY
OF "NOBODY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT ME," I'M GOING
TO WORRY ABOUT MYSELF.
SO ONCE I STARTED GOING TO DE ANZA I FELT
LIKE DE ANZA WAS TRYING TO BECOME SUSTAINABLE,
TRYING TO VALUE ON FINANCIAL AID AND EDUCATION.
AND IT MADE ME FEEL LIKE I'M A PART
OF THE COMMUNITY, I WANT TO GIVE BACK.
I USED TO BE INCARCERATED IN A CYA, CALIFORNIA YOUTH AUTHORITY,
AND I MET A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT WERE FROM COMPTON,
WATTS , SUNNYDALE, OAKLAND.
I WOULD TALK TO SOMEBODY FROM COMPTON,
HIS NAME WAS SEAN [PHONETIC], INTELLIGENT INDIVIDUAL
AND I ASKED HIM, "HOW WAS YOUR HIGH SCHOOL OVER THERE?
HOW WAS IT OVER THERE?"
AND HE TOLD ME HE DIDN'T HAVE COMPUTERS, THERE'S NO PROGRAMS,
IT WAS JUST WILD OVER THERE, YOU KNOW,
EVERYBODY WAS GANG BANGING,
EVERYBODY WAS HOODED OUT, YOU KNOW.
AND WHEN I WENT TO INDEPENDENCE, WE HAD COMPUTERS,
WE HAD PROGRAMS, WE HAVE A LOT OF TEACHERS, WE HAD--
AND THEN EVEN THEN, EVEN THEN,
THEY WERE SAYING WE WERE DOING BAD, YOU KNOW,
AND I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT THE INEQUALITY OF THE QUALITY
OF LIFE IN DIFFERENT AREAS.
IF WE WERE TO HAVE IT, YOU KNOW, LIKE WHEN I GO TO MILPITAS,
IT'S REALLY UPSCALE, REALLY NICE.
I DON'T EVEN WANT TO LITTER, YOU KNOW.
[LAUGHTER] IT'S NICE, I FEEL LIKE IT'S A GOOD PLACE.
I WANT TO LIVE THERE, YOU KNOW, BUT IF I WAS BORN SOMEWHERE ELSE
AND IT'S REALLY GHETTO, IT'S LIKE, WHAT'S THIS?
WHAT AM I LIVING FOR, YOU KNOW?
SO WHEN I COME TO DE ANZA I GET THESE SERVICES AND WHATNOT.
I FEEL LIKE, YOU KNOW WHAT, LET'S DO THIS, YOU KNOW,
LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
SO I'M JUST TRYING TO EMPHASIZE ON EDUCATION AND QUALITY
OF LIFE 'CAUSE WHEN YOU GO TO PRISON OR YA,
YA IS THE JUVENILE LEVEL.
THEY-- THE PROGRAMS IN THERE ARE ALL BAD LIKE I HAD
TO DO THIS PROGRAM, YOU KNOW, IT WAS LIKE 3 TO 4-MONTH PROGRAM.
THEY MADE ME MEET UP THE COUNSELOR LIKE THREE TIMES
AND THEY JUST PRINTED ME OUT A CERTIFICATE
AND I DIDN'T EVEN LEARN ANYTHING AND I'M JUST SAYING LIKE, MAYBE,
FOCUS ON THAT TYPE OF THINGS, YOU KNOW.
THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT.
>> THANK YOU.
>> THANK YOU.
[ APPLAUSE ]
>> NEXT.
>> GOOD AFTERNOON.
MY NAME IS NAVROOP [PHONETIC].
THERE ARE MANY FINANCIAL AID PROGRAMS OUT THERE FOR STUDENTS
THAT ARE MOST IN NEED.
HOWEVER, MANY STUDENTS ALSO COME FROM A MIDDLE CLASS BACKGROUND
AND THEY ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR FINANCIAL AID AND THAT I BELIEVE
THAT MIDDLE CLASS IS OFTEN OVERLOOKED,
AND THE TRUTH IS PRICE HIKES
AND TUITION HIKES ARE OFTEN A BIG BURDEN
ON MIDDLE CLASS FAMILIES AS WELL.
I COME FROM A MIDDLE CLASS FAMILY.
I AM A FULL TIME STUDENT, I WORK PART TIME
AND MY GOAL HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO TRANSFER TO A UC
BUT WITH ALL THE RECENT PRICE HIKES AND TUITION HIKES,
IT'S BECOMING REALLY WORRYING, IT'S BECOMING REALLY STRESSFUL.
AND I DON'T WANT TO BRING THAT BURDEN TO MY FAMILY.
SO, WHAT IS BEING DONE FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS
IN REGARDS TO EDUCATION?
[ APPLAUSE ]
[ INAUDIBLE DISCUSSION ]
>> ALL FIVE OF US WHO ARE SITTING HERE ARE CO-AUTHORS
OF A PIECE OF LEGISLATION THAT WOULD DEAL DIRECTLY
WITH WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
IT'S CALLED THE MIDDLE CLASS SCHOLARSHIP ACT.
[APPLAUSE] IT WOULD-- [APPLAUSE] IT WOULD TAX
OUT OF STATE CORPORATIONS WHO DON'T PAY TAXES RIGHT NOW
IN CALIFORNIA BUT DO BUSINESS IN CALIFORNIA AND THEY OUGHT
TO BE PAYING TAX HERE.
AND WE WOULD TAX THEM.
IT WOULD RAISE ABOUT A BILLION DOLLARS.
AND THAT MONEY WOULD GO DIRECTLY INTO THE HANDS
OF MIDDLE CLASS STUDENTS GOING TO UC AND CSU TO REDUCE FEES
AND TUITIONS BY AT LEAST 2/3.
NOW, THE CORPORATIONS HAVE JUST FORMED A HUGE POLITICAL ACTION
COMMITTEE TO TRY TO STOP US FROM GETTING THIS PASSED.
BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP, WE NEED EVERYBODY IN THE ROOM
TO WRITE MEMBERS, SEND EMAILS TO MEMBERS
OF THE STATE LEGISLATURE, TELLING THEM
TO PASS THE MIDDLE CLASS SCHOLARSHIP ACT.
BECAUSE THE FIVE OF US, WE'RE NOT GOING TO CARRY THE DAY.
WE GOT A WHOLE BUNCH OF FOLKS UP THERE WE GOT
TO CONVINCE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
SO WE NEED YOUR HELP TO CONVINCE OUR COLLEAGUES
THAT THIS IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO 'CAUSE SOME
OF OUR COLLEAGUES ARE GETTING A LOT OF PRESSURE AND MAYBE A LOT
OF MONEY FROM THESE CORPORATIONS FOR THEM TO NOT DO THIS.
BUT IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO, CORPORATIONS SHOULD PAY THAT TAX
AND WE OUGHT TO BE ABLE THEN TO GIVE IT BACK
TO HELP OUR MIDDLE CLASS STUDENTS BE ABLE
TO FUNCTION WELL IN OUR COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES.
IT'S ALL ABOUT OUR FUTURE.
>> ALL RIGHT.
THANK YOU.
[APPLAUSE]
>> IT'S CALLED THE MIDDLE CLASS SCHOLARSHIP--
>> SURE.
>> AND IT'S ASSEMBLY BILL 1500 AND 1501.
>> I HAVE AN EMAIL WITH A WHOLE BUNCH
OF CORPORATION NAMES ON IT.
SO, I CAN FORWARD THAT TO YOU.
>> YEAH. [LAUGHTER]
>> BUT IT-- AND THE STATEWIDE STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS,
BOTH MAJOR ORGANIZATIONS THAT I'M A PRESIDENT OF
AND THAT PRESIDENT KINNER IS--
>> IF I CAN JUST CLARIFY ONE THING, KEVIN, JUST A SECOND.
>> ALSO THE MIDDLE CLASS SCHOLARSHIP,
THE COMMUNITY COLLEGES WILL GET 250 MILLION DOLLARS
OF THAT MONEY TOO.
SO--
>> RIGHT. IT COMES TO--
>> YEAH.
>> COMMUNITY COLLEGES, THAT'S RIGHT.
WELL, AND MANY OF OUR-- AND MANY OF OUR LOCAL CORPORATIONS
AND THE BUSINESSES IN THE VALLEY ARE SUPPORTIVE
OF THE MIDDLE CLASS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM.
SO IT'S A LOT OF THE OUT-OF-STATE COMPANIES
THAT ARE-- THAT DON'T WANT TO PLAY ON AN EQUAL PLAYING FIELD
AND THAT WANTED NOT TO BE TAXED FOR THE WORK THEY DO HERE.
>> AND I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT MOST OF THE STUDENTS
AT THIS TABLE AS WELL AS A LOT OF STUDENTS THAT ARE
IN THIS ROOM ARE ORGANIZING AND WORKING
ON THE MIDDLE CLASS SCHOLARSHIP LEGISLATION.
SO IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS OR IF YOU WANT
TO HELP US, PLEASE COME AND SEE US 'CAUSE WE ALL SUPPORT
THAT AS WELL.
>> GO TO MIDDLECLASSSCHOLARSHIP.COM,
THERE'S A PETITION YOU CAN SIGN AND THERE'S ALSO A PLACE
WHERE YOU CAN UPLOAD VIDEOS AND TELL YOUR STORY
ABOUT HOW YOU CAN'T AFFORD COLLEGE
AND THAT YOU NEED THIS BILL.
AND SO, YOU CAN SEE YOUR DASB ON CAMPUS
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THAT TOO.
>> HELLO! MY NAME IS CRYSTAL.
I VOTED FOR YOU BOB.
[LAUGHTER] MY QUESTION IS, OBVIOUSLY,
WE ONLY HAVE FIVE OF YOU HERE.
THERE'S A LOT MORE MEMBERS IN THE ASSEMBLY.
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS ABOUT THE PATH YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
AND HOW WE'VE KIND OF DERAILED OUT OF IT.
WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS DONE TO INFLUENCE OTHER MEMBERS
TO GO BACK ON THAT PATH?
AND OR IF YOU HAVE AND IF YOU HAVEN'T, WHAT WILL YOU DO?
>> I DO A LOT OF BEGGING UP IN SACRAMENTO.
I PLEAD WITH MY COLLEAGUES TO DO THE RIGHT THINGS.
TRY TO INSPIRE THEM.
I THINK IT'S LIKE WITH YOU AND YOUR COLLEAGUES AT SCHOOL.
YOU TALK WITH THEM, WE TEND TO, YOU KNOW, WE'RE LIKE BEES,
YOU KNOW, SOMETIMES WE GO ONE ON ONE.
SOMETIMES WE SWARM AROUND FOLKS TRYING TO CONVINCE THEM.
I FIND THAT THAT ONE ON ONE CONVERSATION IS GOOD
AND I DON'T, YOU KNOW, WE HAD ADVOCATES UP FOR THIS DEBT,
YOU KNOW, OVER BURDENING STUDENTS WITH DEBT
AND WE GOT CREAMED IN COMMITTEE BUT THAT DOESN'T STOP ME
FROM CONTINUING THE EDUCATION OF MY COLLEAGUES.
I THINK THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE-- YOU HAVE TO DO, YOU HAVE TO--
THESE FOLKS SITTING WITH ME HAVE AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF ENERGY
AND OPTIMISM AND IT'S OPTIMISM AND WHEN THINGS GO BAD,
THEY REGROUP AND THEY TRY TO FIGURE
OUT ANOTHER PATH THAT WE CAN GO.
I SOUND LIKE SPIKE LEE.
I THINK PART OF IT IS YOU WANT PEOPLE
TO DO THE RIGHT THING, RIGHT.
YOU JUST SAY AT THE END OF THE DAY, LET'S DO IT RIGHT.
>> AND IF I COULD FOLLOW UP WITH THAT
AND BOB IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.
WE TRY TO CONVINCE, TALK TO AND CAJOLE AND EVERYTHING WE CAN
TO MAKE-- FOR OUR COLLEAGUES TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISIONS
AND GET IN THE RIGHT PATH.
THE PROBLEM THOUGH, IS THEY DON'T
AND THEY'RE NOT REALLY INTERESTED
IN LISTENING TO US AS MUCH.
AND THE OTHER PROBLEM IS, THE ONES FROM SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA,
THE IT'S A BIG STATE, CALIFORNIA,
WITH 38 MILLION PEOPLE.
THEY'RE FRANKLY NOT QUITE INTERESTED IN LISTENING TO YOU.
WE LISTEN TO YOU BECAUSE AS YOU SIGN UP BACK THERE
TO VOTE, THAT'S THE KEY.
THAT'S THE END OF THE LINE FOR US.
AND THAT'S THE IMPORTANT PART.
AS I MENTIONED ABOUT PROPOSITION 13,
A LOT OF THIS IS ABOUT POLITICS.
AND WHAT I'VE ALWAYS ENCOURAGED FOR K THROUGH 12 EDUCATION
AND OTHERS AS PEOPLE ARE COMING AND SPEAKING TO US, YOU KNOW,
THERE-- IT'S THE OLD SAYING YOU'RE TALKING TO THE CHOIR.
YOU ARE PREACHING TO THE CHOIR.
WHAT WE NEED TO DO IS GO TO THAT.
THERE MUST BE THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE LEAGUE,
THE STATE ORGANIZATIONS, THE STUDENTS REFLECTING
AND HAVE THEM GO INTO THE DISTRICTS OF THE MEMBERS
WHO ARE QUESTIONING AND NOT FOLLOWING THE RIGHT PATH.
GET INTO THEIR DISTRICTS AND LET THEM REALIZE
THAT IF THEY DON'T MAKE THE RIGHT DECISIONS,
IF THEY DON'T FOLLOW THE COURSE THAT WE KNOW IS BEST,
THEN THAT VOTING ACTION WILL GIVE A DIFFERENT OUTCOME
FOR THEM.
I THINK THAT'S WHAT'S IMPORTANT IS TO TAKE THIS FIGHT STATEWIDE
AND GET IN TO THOSE AREAS WHERE THE PROBLEMS ARE CREATED
AND THE PROBLEMS ARE LOCATED TODAY.
THAT'S HOW WE COULD SEE SOME CHANGE.
>> HI! I'M REGINE [PHONETIC] AND IT'S ACTUALLY FUNNY THAT EVERY--
ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE HERE 'CAUSE IT'S KIND OF LIKE MY STORY.
I GREW UP IN THE EAST BAY.
I WENT TO JAMES LOGAN HIGH SCHOOL WHICH HAD A POPULATION
OF ABOUT 4-- OVER 4,000.
MY GRADUATING CLASS WAS 750.
AND THAT'S WAY TOO BIG.
AND PRETTY MUCH EVERYBODY WENT TO OHLONE.
AND I WAS PLANNING ON GOING THERE TOO EXCEPT A WEEK
AFTER GRADUATION, I MOVED TO TRES PINOS WHICH IS
ABOUT 5 MILES OUTSIDE OF HOLLISTER WHICH IS
WHERE GAVILAN IS LOCATED.
BUT I COULDN'T GO TO GAVILAN 'CAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE MY--
I DIDN'T HAVE A DRIVER'S LICENSE
AND THERE IS NO BUSSING WHERE I LIVE.
THERE WAS NO WAY FOR ME TO GET TO TOWN.
SO THE ONLY PLACE I COULD GO WAS DE ANZA EVEN THOUGH IT'S 61
MILES AWAY FROM MY HOUSE EXACTLY.
I COULD ONLY GET HERE BECAUSE MY PARENTS WORK UP HERE
AND I WAS ABLE TO CAR POOL WITH THEM.
NOW THAT I DRIVE, OR SINCE THEN I'VE GOT MY DRIVER'S LICENSE,
I DRIVE 4 TIMES A WEEK,
SOMETIMES 5 TO GET HERE TO SCHOOL.
SO FAR THIS WEEK I HAVE PUT IN 9 HOURS IN MY CAR
AND I HAVEN'T EVEN DRIVEN HOME YET.
BUT, NO OFFENSE TO OHLONE OR GAVILAN BUT I LOVE DE ANZA
WHICH IS WHY I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE ELSE.
I COULDN'T IMAGINE GOING ANYWHERE ELSE.
EVERYBODY HAS CALLED ME CRAZY FOR DRIVING AN HOUR,
HOUR AND A HALF, 2 HOURS TO GET TO MY EDUCATION
AND I JUST AM WILLING TO GET WHAT I DESERVE.
AND I KNOW THAT PRICES ARE GOING UP AND UP AND UP
AND I'VE STARTED QUESTIONING ON LEAVING LIKE TRANSFERRING
OUT OF STATE JUST BECAUSE SOME COLLEGES ARE MORE AFFORDABLE
THAN UCS OR STATES.
AND I'M A NURSING MAJOR AND EVERYTHING IS VERY COMPETITIVE.
I NEED TO KNOW THAT CALIFORNIA WANTS ME TO BE A STUDENT IN HERE
AND NOT SOMEWHERE ELSE.
BECAUSE I ALREADY PUT SO MUCH TIME INTO THE EDUCATION I GET.
I'M-- I PRO-- I WON'T MIND MOVING SOMEWHERE ELSE
TO GET IT AS WELL.
THANK YOU.
>> YEAH.
[ APPLAUSE ]
[ INAUDIBLE REMARK ]
>> WE'RE GOING TO MOVE ON AND I AM AWARE
OF OUR TIME CONSTRAINTS.
WE REALLY ONLY HAVE ABOUT 5, 6 MINUTES.
SO I'M NOT EXACTLY SURE.
WE JUST GO HEAD ON AND THEN WHEN WE HIT THAT MAGICAL TIME,
WE'LL ALL TURN AND LOOK AT THEM
AND SEE HOW MUCH MORE TIME WE SECRETLY HAVE.
BUT THEY DO HAVE AGENDAS AND SCHEDULES.
SO, IF WE COME TO A FORMAL END, MY HUNCH IS, WE MIGHT BE ABLE
TO HAVE SOME INFORMAL TIME.
SO WHO'S NEXT?
PLEASE.
>> I'D LIKE TO SAY, BLAKE [PHONETIC],
AS ONE OF THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS.
I JUST-- THIS IS TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW THAT LIKE WE DO SUFFER
WITH THE TUITION AS WELL AS LIKE LOCAL STUDENTS DO.
AND, LIKE BECAUSE OF ALL, YOU KNOW, ECONOMICS
AND BUDGET CUTTING, ALL OUR SCHOOLS ARE ROLLING
OUT THEIR BUDGETS, I DO UNDERSTAND.
BUT LIKE-- BUT SINCE THEY NEEDED MONEY, AT LEAST THE SAME AMOUNT
OF AMOUNT THEY USED TO HAVE, THEY ARE LIKE TRYING TO LOOK
FOR MONEY FROM LIKE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS.
I MEAN, IT'S MY PERSONAL OPINION.
BUT LIKE, I DO PAY LIKE OVER 10 TIMES WHAT
LIKE LOCAL STUDENTS PAY FOR TUITION.
AND THE PROBLEM IS, I PAY LIKE-- I DON'T KNOW, LIKE IT'S A--
I'VE BEEN HERE FOR 2 YEARS AND A YEAR AGO,
I PAID LIKE 3,500 SOMETHING OR 20 UNITS
AND THEN NOW I'M PAYING FOR LIKE, OVER 4,000.
AND FOR ME, I DON'T KNOW, IT'S KIND OF--
DOESN'T MAKE SENSE FOR ME.
AND THEN, SO, I JUST WANT TO SAY LIKE,
EVEN THOUGH LIKE YOU GUYS GET SOME MONEY, YOU KNOW,
TO COVER THE LOCAL STUDENTS, YOU KNOW, EMPTY FILL PART,
I THINK IT'S REALLY JUST A TEMPORARILY SOLUTION, YOU KNOW,
TO FILL THAT EMPTY PART.
SO, JUST, YOU KNOW, AND I AM HERE TO-- I AM HERE FOR--
I CAME HERE FOR, YOU KNOW, EDUCATION NOT FOR--
BECOME LIKE A FAVORITE BANK OR SOMETHING.
SO, JUST PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND YEAH, THAT'S IT.
THANK YOU.
[APPLAUSE]
>> I MIGHT JUST INSIST ON ONE EDITORIAL THING.
WE HAVE A VERY ROBUST INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM
WHICH WE HAD YEARS AND YEARS
AND YEARS BEFORE THERE WAS ANY BUDGET CRISIS.
IT'S BEEN A REALLY POWERFUL PART OF OUR PROGRAM
AND IT REALLY BRINGS A LOT OF SORT OF COSMOPOLITAN ENERGY
TO THIS PLACE AND WE'RE VERY PROUD OF IT.
AND SO IT'S NOT JUST MOTIVATED BY I GOT TO COVER THE MONEY.
WE'VE HAD THIS PROGRAM FOR A LONG TIME AND WE FEEL THAT,
JUST AS EMILY SAID,
THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS HAVE BEEN A VERY IMPORTANT PART
OF IT, THE MIX OF THIS COMMUNITY.
>> THANK YOU.
AND THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE FOR BEING HERE.
MY NAME IS MICHAEL.
I HAVE 3 DIRECT QUESTIONS FOR ALL OF YOU
AND I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE AN ANSWER FROM ALL OF YOU.
NUMBER 1, DO YOU ACCEPT AS TRUE THAT THE BUBBLES
THAT WERE ALLUDED TO IN THE POWERPOINT SLIDE,
THE ECONOMIC BUBBLES MEANING THE DOT-COM AND THE HOUSING BUBBLE.
DO YOU ACCEPT AS TRUE THAT THOSE WERE MOSTLY CREATED AS A RESULT
OF FEDERAL RESERVE POLICY?
WHY DOES THE STATE GOVERNMENT TOLERATE A SECRET ENTITY,
A PART OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT,
WHY DO THEY TOLERATE SOMETHING
THAT CAN CONTINUALLY UNDERMINE YOUR LEGISLATIVE EFFORTS?
AND NUMBER 3, IS IT APPROPRIATE
THAT FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS ARE NOT DISCHARGEABLE IN BANKRUPTCY?
IS THAT NOT A FORM OF SLAVERY?
THANK YOU.
[APPLAUSE]
>> ALL RIGHT, I'LL START OFF.
>> YOU'RE THE BANKRUPTCY LAWYER.
>> I'M A BANKRUPTCY LAWYER AND I WAS IN WASHINGTON,
DC IN 1978 WHEN WE PASSED THE REFORM.
SO, UP UNTIL 2005, EVERY YEAR
SINCE WE ESTABLISHED UNITED STATES,
WE'VE HAD A VERY PROGRESSIVE BANKRUPTCY LAW.
AND EACH TIME THAT CONGRESS HAS REVIEWED IT,
THEY GOT MORE LIBERAL BECAUSE WE WANT
TO GIVE PEOPLE A FRESH START.
SO IN 1976, STUDENT LOANS WERE DISCHARGEABLE.
THEN IN '78, THEY BECAME--
PASSED A LAW AND SAID THEY COULDN'T BE DISCHARGEABLE
IF THE GOVERNMENT PART,
IF THE GOVERNMENT HAD GUARANTEED THE STUDENT LOANS AND THEN
OR YOU-- BUT YOU COULD PAY THEM WITHIN 3 TO 5 YEARS.
YOU COULD PAY-- MAKE YOUR BEST EFFORTS IN THE CHAPTER 13.
YOU COULD DISCHARGE THE REMAINDER OF IT.
THEN IN 2005, BAD THINGS HAPPENED
AND THEY MADE NOT ONLY ALL STATE, THEY ADDED PRIVATE LOANS
TO THE-- TO THE-- TO IT.
SO YOU CAN GO TO LIKE, BANK OF AMERICA, GET A LOAN FROM THEM
OR SOMEBODY AND THAT'S NOT DISCHARGEABLE.
SO WE HAVE A BOMB THAT'S BEING CREATED.
I MEAN, IF YOU THINK THE MORTGAGE FORECLOSURE CRISIS WAS
BAD, WHAT'S ON THE HORIZON IS THE STUDENT LOAN DEBT THAT'S
GOING ON BECAUSE THERE ARE KIDS GRADUATING
FROM SANTA CLARA LAW SCHOOL WITH 150,000 DOLLARS
IN STUDENT LOAN, THEY CAN'T GET A JOB.
I MEAN, THEY ARE DOING PIECEMEAL WORK.
AND IT'S JUST-- IT'S AN INCREDIBLE TAX,
I MEAN, MENTAL TAX.
SO, YES, THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS AN OBLIGATION
AS WE SORT OF ALLUDED TO.
THERE ARE SOME BAD PLAYERS IN THIS SCHEME.
IT'S A BIG, BIG FIGHT BUT THAT'S WORDS GOING.
IT COULD BE DONE.
I'D LIKE TO THINK OF MYSELF AS TRYING TO BE ONE THAT CHAMPIONS
OF THAT BUT IT'S A NO.
I GOT LIKE A TOOTHPICK AGAINST SOME GUY WITH AN AX.
BUT WE'LL CHANGE-- TRY TO CHANGE THAT.
DO YOU-- I ACCEPTED THE--
YOU TALKED ABOUT SECONDLY ABOUT THE--
THIS PROBLEM BEING CREATED BY THE FEDERAL RESERVE
AND I GUESS THE SECOND QUESTION IS,
WHY DOES THE STATE TOLERATE IT?
TOLERATION WOULDN'T BE THE TERM THAT I WOULD SAY.
I MEAN WE-- WE'RE-- THERE'S A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF ANGER
IN THE QUESTION AND IT'S OKAY WITH ME.
I MEAN, I'M ANGRY TOO AT A LOT OF STUFF.
I THINK WE ONLY HAVE CERTAIN TOOLS IN THE TOOL KIT
AND UNFORTUNATELY, A LOT OF STUFF
THAT IS GOING ON NOW IS REACTIVE.
YOU KNOW, WE ALL GOT ELECTED A YEAR AGO, NOVEMBER,
WITH A 26 BILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT.
IT-- YOU KNOW, WE CAN ONLY BE SO CREATIVE.
WE HAVE TO-- I TELL FOLKS, I LIKE TO GET TO ZERO TO DO THAT
AND I DON'T WANT TO BE TOLERANT ABOUT THE FEDERAL POLICIES.
SO, THAT'S SORT OF MY FIRST SWING IN IT.
>> THANK YOU.
THERE REALLY ISN'T ANY ANGER.
I JUST REALLY WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOUR POINT OF VIEW IS.
DO YOU ACCEPT IT AS TRUE, BOB,
THAT THOSE 2 BUBBLES WERE LARGELY A RESULT
OF FEDERAL RESERVE POLICY?
>> YEAH.
>> OKAY, THANK YOU.
>> CAN I GET A COMMENT FROM THE REST OF YOU
AS TO WHETHER OR NOT YOU AGREE?
>> RIGHT, HE ANSWERED IT PERFECTLY.
>> OKAY. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
>> I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW THE SHARKS ARE GOING TO DO.
THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO HEAR FROM THE NEXT SPEAKER.
>> I HOPE-- WE'RE UNDERDOG THIS SEASON.
I HOPE WE COULD PULL SOMETHING OFF.
WE'LL SEE LATER TODAY.
BUT ON TO MORE SERIOUS MATTERS AS MUCH
AS I LOOK FORWARD TO THE GAME LATER.
HERE'S A LITTLE BIT-- I DON'T WANT--
I KNOW WE'RE ON TIME CONSTRAINTS BUT FOR ME, I JUST HAVE--
I'LL KEEP IT RELATIVELY SHORT.
I HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO DEAL WITH BEING AN UNDERDOG MYSELF.
YOU KNOW, I WAS BORN DISABLED TOO AND I DON'T TRY
TO USE THIS AS A CRUTCH.
SO I KIND OF TRY TO HOLD IT IN SECRETLY.
I DON'T EVEN HAVE DSS SERVICES YET.
AND I JUST TRY TO, YOU KNOW, DO WHAT I CAN, WORK HARD,
PROVE THE CRITICS WRONG.
AND DO WHAT I CAN AND FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS SOME IMPAIRMENTS
WITH SOME LEARNING DISABILITIES AND HAD TO GROW
UP WITH THE EFFECTS OF, YOU KNOW, LACK OF, YOU KNOW, BEING,
YOU KNOW, HELP WITH MATH.
I CAME INTO HIGH SCHOOL WITH A 5TH GRADE LEVEL IN MATH
AND EVERYTHING ELSE WAS UP TO PAR
BUT MY MATH SKILLS WERE NOT [INAUDIBLE] KID.
AND THAT BRINGS INTO A QUESTION OF WHAT THE BUDGET CUT IS LIKE,
SOMEONE BROUGHT UP EARLIER, WITH DISABLED STUDENT SERVICES.
THAT KIND OF SCARES ME 'CAUSE I MIGHT FINALLY JUST BRAVE UP
AND SIGN UP FOR-- YOU KNOW, NOT FEEL ASHAMED
FOR SIGNING UP THE DSS.
I MIGHT DO THAT LATER.
AND MY QUESTION IS, DO SERVICES LIKE THAT NEED TO BE KEPT INTACT
BECAUSE FOR ME, I ONLY HAVE ONE WEAKNESS
AND THAT MIGHT PREVENT ME FROM TRANSFERRING.
AND I'M ON THE RIGHT PATH, ALMOST OUT OF HERE SOON
BUT MATH COULD DELAY ME.
SO, I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE HOPEFULLY
THAT YOU GUYS WILL FIGHT FOR, YOU KNOW,
DISABLED STUDENTS SERVICES BECAUSE I HAVE ONE ACHILLES HEEL
AND I ALMOST HAVE EVERYTHING ELSE OUT OF THE WAY.
AND MATHEMATICS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ONE OF MY WEAKNESSES.
SECONDLY, FOR ME, I GOT SICK, REALLY ILL, LIKE POSSIBLY
WHERE THE POINT COULD HAVE BEEN LIFE THREATENING DURING THE FALL
OF 2011 AND I ENDED UP HAVING TO DROP CLASSES
BECAUSE I JUST COULDN'T DO IT.
LIKE, I WAS TOO ILL, I WAS ORDERED BED REST.
ALMOST HAD TO GO AND BE HOSPITALIZED,
HAD MY LUNG INFECTED THROUGH TOXIC CHEMICALS I BREATHED IN.
AND I WAS PUNISHED, I-- IT WAS NOT THE SCHOOL'S FAULT,
JUST THE WAY BUREAUCRACY WORKS.
AND I HAD TO PAY OFF ALMOST 1,000 BUCKS TO THE SCHOOL
FOR DROPPING OFF, YOU KNOW, 'CAUSE I GOT PAID FINANCIAL AID,
'CAUSE I HAD TO KEEP MY GRADES UP AND THEN I HAD KIND
OF A DOWNFALL EFFECT EVER SINCE IN MY HEALTH
BECAUSE OF WHAT HAPPENED AND IT WAS KIND OF AFFECTING ME,
YOU KNOW, STRESS MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY, EMOTIONALLY.
AND I'M ON THE RIGHT THE PATH AGAIN.
BUT MY QUESTION IS, IS THERE ANY SORT OF RULES THAT COULD BE--
I KNOW IT'S PROBABLY BEYOND THE POWER THAT'S NOT STATE
BUT WITH FAFSA AND PEOPLE GET REALLY ILL, YOU KNOW,
WHETHER IT'D BE SOMETHING LIKE PNEUMONIA OR SOMETHING SERIOUS
LIKE CANCER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
IS THERE ANY SORT OF WHERE THE-- I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT,
YOU KNOW, LIKE COMES THE ILLNESSES.
[LAUGHTER] WELL, THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
>> THANK YOU.
WELL YOU'RE GOING TO THE RIGHT COLLEGE.
[APPLAUSE] FORTUNATELY, I WAS A STUDENT HERE IN 1972
WHEN THE DISABLED PROGRAM STARTED AND I HOPE TO GET
THAT GOING, ACTUALLY VOLUNTEERING
WITH THE DISABLED STUDENTS.
AND THIS IS THE RIGHT COLLEGE TO ATTEND IF YOU ARE DISABLED
AND THEY REALLY TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU, THEY HELP TRANSFER
AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF.
SO, CONGRATULATION ON YOUR SUCCESS.
[APPLAUSE]
>> I KNOW ALSO THAT GAVILAN HAS A GREAT PROGRAM,
DISABLED STUDENT PROGRAM.
I DON'T KNOW THE OTHER SCHOOLS, OHLONE.
I THINK IT SHOULD BE A SYSTEM WIDE PROGRAM.
AS A DAD, A DAD OF SOMEBODY WHO HAS DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES,
I'M A DAD SO, YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY
ABOUT ME WITH THESE PROGRAMS.
DON'T GET BETWEEN THE BEAR AND ITS CUBS.
I'M THE BEAR.
SO I'M THE GUY THAT'S GOING TO PROTECT PROGRAMS
FOR THE DISABLED STUDENTS.
OKAY. AND MY SON WENT TO DE ANZA
AND IT'S AN ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC PROGRAM HERE AT DE ANZA.
AND WHAT IT IS, IS EVERYBODY SHOULD BE ACCOMMODATED
TO THEIR DISABILITY TO GET A FREE EDUCATION.
THAT'S THE DREAM, RIGHT?
THAT'S THE DREAM.
[APPLAUSE] SO, WE WANT TO HAVE-- EVERYBODY HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY
SO THEY CAN DO THE BEST THEY CAN IN THEIR LIVES
AND HAVE THE MOST SUCCESSFUL LIFE POSSIBLE.
AND WE WILL WORK WITH PERSONS WHATEVER THEIR NEEDS ARE
TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN.
THAT'S THE GOAL, THAT'S THE DREAM.
SO WE SHOULD BE ABOUT CREATING DREAMS FOR PEOPLE.
FUNDING OUR FUTURE, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ABOUT.
SO, THANK YOU FOR BEING THE LAST QUESTION.
>> AND ON THE STATEWIDE LEVEL, AT LEAST FOR THE STUDENTS,
THAT'S ONE OF OUR BIGGEST KIND OF TALKING POINTS WHEN WE TALK
TO LEGISLATORS BECAUSE THE DISABLED STUDENTS PROGRAM GOT A
REALLY BIG CUT IN OUR SYSTEM A FEW YEARS AGO.
AND SO THAT'S ONE OF OUR BIGGEST POINTS WHEN WE TELL PEOPLE
TO FUND EDUCATION AND THAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.
OHLONE SERVES THE LARGEST POPULATION OF DEAF AND HARD
OF HEARING STUDENTS BUT THERE ISN'T ENOUGH MONEY
FOR INTERPRETERS.
SO, THAT'S REALLY ONE OF THE BIG KEY POINTS THAT WE ADVOCATE
FOR ON A STATEWIDE LEVEL.
>> I HAVE A REQUEST FOR EVERYBODY.
I'M SURE THAT THERE ARE SOME PETITIONS DOWN THERE
ON THE TAX INITIATIVE.
IT'S THE MILLIONAIRE GOVERNORS MERGED, A HYBRID TAX INITIATIVE.
IF ANYBODY HASN'T SIGNED THAT OR IF THEY'VE GOT A HALF HOUR
AND THEY CAN WALK AROUND THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD AND GET SIGNATURES.
THIS IS-- PART OF THE SOLUTION HERE IS THAT WE NEED
TO RAISE REVENUES AND THIS IS THE VEHICLE THAT WE'RE USING.
SO HELP YOURSELVES.
>> I HAVE SOME PETITIONS RIGHT HERE.
ACTUALLY, I DON'T KNOW IF THERE'S ANY IN THE BACK
SO FEEL FREE TO COME UP HERE.
[INAUDIBLE REMARK]
>> OH OKAY.
>> YUP, PLEASE.
[INAUDIBLE REMARK]
>> I JUST WANTED TO THANK ALL THE STUDENTS THAT CAME HERE
AND FOR TAKING TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY.
I ALSO LIKE TO THANK THE ASSEMBLY MEMBERS,
SOME OF YOU DROVE FAR AWAY FROM SACRAMENTO TO COME
TO OUR BEAUTIFUL COLLEGE.
IT'S REALLY AN HONOR FOR US TO HAVE YOU HERE.
AND THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING OUR STUDENTS' QUESTIONS SO WELL.
AND ALSO THANK YOU TO THE STUDENT PANELISTS.
[ APPLAUSE ]
[ INAUDIBLE REMARKS ]
>> THANK YOU.
THANK YOU ALL, THANK YOU ALL.
[ INAUDIBLE DISCUSSION ]
[ SILENCE ]