Sam Wilson

Uploaded by engineerou on 03.11.2010

well it was
great experience I had a marvoulous
I was in the L.O.K.T. 314
and I was president of the engineers club
and %uh I was most
proud to be in about three honoray Fraternities
and %uh also be selected one
of the top ten senior men in the whole university
%uh I averaged
close to nineteen hours a semester
because in those days if you didn't
get out in quick time you're in the army
Because this was duing the Korean war
so uh we went
six days a week
from eight to five
oh yeah that was a good incintive to
knckle down and do your work, But the Discipline of working
you had to get things done
you had to be on time
one of the secrets of businesses is just
ninety precent of sucess is showing up
fact I've told people I also graduated from harvard
business school as a masters
I tell people the best education I had
was growing up
in oklahoma during the depression
and world war two
and learning how to be honest and
responsible and working hard
I enjoyed my stay in Oklahoma I just wish it could have gone on forever but
I got my diploma my commission and the united states navy and my orders to sea
all at the same time and then
a couple weeks later I was abord ship in San Diego
well I think I've never worked as an engineer per se
because after I got out of
graduate school at harvard I went
with a couple of big corporations for
few years
then I started my own corporation
and I think the technical background I knew how
what the language was
and I started
in industrial gas companies, oxygen
nitrogen, argon
medical equipment
all the gasses that go into the conductor plans,
so having the technical knowledge
was great
but probably the work ethic
was more important, well the main thing is work, work, work
and one of my great experiences was
doc huntington that ran the chemical engineering department, founded it as a mater of fact
I had a
heat transfr class under him one time
and so for our project
he had each of us go buy a watermelon
cost us about a quarter a piece, working for about ten cents an hour back then, and I bought
my watermelon and we drill holes in it to
various depths
then we put thermometers in there
like I had one all the way to the core, and then
up a little bit up a little bit up a little bit
then we took them to a big walk-in refrigerator over at the utilites department, and put
the watermelons in there
and then we go back every couple of hours and read the thermometers
and we're trying to figure out the heat transfer
through a medium of the watermelon
and then when we got
through plotted it all
temperatures of each of the thermometers so you see how fast
heat transfers out of a watermelon
well that was a lot of fun but the best part of it all was when we finished the experiment
we ate the experiment