Sandy lessons, Mustache Bash, Sheriff's Bowl, Dominon Power - Norfolk Perspectives


Uploaded by NorfolkTV on 16.11.2012

Transcript:
>>> THIS TIME ON NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES, WE'RE TALKING WITH
PUBLIC WORKS WITH THE HARD WORK THEY PUT IN DURING SANDY TO KEEP
YOU SAFE. NAUTICUS AND THE ADMIRALS TEAM
UP FOR A GREAT CAUSE, SOMETHING TO DO WITH FACIAL HAIR.
THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENTS FROM BOTH NORFOLK AND CHESAPEAKE ARE
HERE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT A GREAT CAUSE THEY'RE INVOLVED IN,
AND DOMINION POWER, YES, THEY HAVE GOT THE LIGHTS ON JUST FOR
YOU. WE'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT GREAT
STUFF RIGHT HERE ON NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES.
CAPTIONING PROVIDED BY CAPTION ASSOCIATES, LLC
www.captionassociates.com >>> WELCOME TO NORFOLK
PERSPECTIVES, I'M BOB BATCHER. YES, SANDY BLEW THROUGH HERE
KINDA, SORTA, NOTHING LIKE NEW YORK, THANK GOODNESS, BUT WE HAD
A CREW FROM PUBLIC WORKS KEEPING AN EYE OPEN AND INVOLVED IN THE
STREETS TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU WERE SAFE AND WE'RE GOING TO
TALK TO THEM ABOUT THAT RIGHT NOW.
RICHARD BROAD, ENGINEERING OPERATIONS MANAGER, HOW YOU
DOING? >> DOING YET.
>> AND DARNELL DAYS, STORM OPERATIONS MANAGER.
HOW YOU DOING? >> DOING WELL.
>> YOU WERE OUT THERE MOVING THE WALLS AROUND.
ANY MAN WHO CAN MOVE A WALL WILL SIT ON THAT SOFA, AND DAVE
LUCAS, YOU KEPT IT STRAIGHT FOR US, RIGHT?
>> I DO MY BEST. >> LET ME ASK, THE WEATHER
REPORTING COMING IN, STORM COMING UP THE COAST, DON'T KNOW
WHERE IT'S GOING TO HIT, THAT CONE OF UNCERTAINTY.
WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING WHEN YOU WATCH THAT?
>> WE BREAK OUT OUR EMERGENCY OPERATIONS PLAN.
>> JUST LIKE OUR FAMILY MEMBERS DO.
>> RIGHT, AND IN THERE WE HAVE OR CHECKLIST OF EVERYTHING WE
CAN DO TO PREPARE OURSELVES, BOTH OUR PEOPLE, OUR EQUIPMENT,
ALL OUR TOOLS TO GET READY FOR SANDY, SO WHENEVER WE PULL
SOMETHING OUT THAT WE NEED, IT'S READY TO GO.
>> DAVE, HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE THAT CHECKLIST -- HOW DO YOU
DEVELOP THE CHECKLIST? >> I THINK IT'S MANY YEARS OF
EXPERIENCE. PUBLIC WORKS HAS A VAST ARRAY OF
PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN HERE FROM ISABEL AND SOME OF THE STORMS
PRIOR TO MY TIME. I WAS HERE FOR ISABEL, SO DID
SOME WORK ON IRENE AND WE PUT TOGETHER A LIST AFTER THOSE
DISASTERS AND LEARNED OUR LESSONS, LIST OF LESSONS
LEARNED, AND PUT TOGETHER SOME THINGS TO DO BETTER THE NEXT
TIME. >> DARNEL, I MENTIONED MOVING
WALLS. THERE'S A PICTURE OF DOWNTOWN
FROM 1933 OF GUYS IN THE ROW BOAT.
THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU DO, RIGHT?
>> WE TALK ABOUT OUR PUMP STATIONS.
WE HAVE PUMP STATION CREWS THAT CONSIST OF FOUR GUYS, SUPERVISOR
AND MECHANICS AND OTHER MEMBERS, AND THEY HAVE A LIST THAT -- OF
THIS THANETION THEY HAVE TO DO PRIOR -- OF THINGS THAT THEY
HAVE TO DO PRIOR TO THE STORM ACTUALLY HITTING THE SHORE.
AND SO WHAT THEY DO IS CHECK AND MAKE SURE THAT THE GATES ARE ALL
WORKING PROPERLY AND THAT THEY HAVE ALL THE TOOLS AND WHAT NOT
THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT THE CITY DOESN'T FLOOD.
>> SO WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF NAUTICUS.
>> YES. >> WHEN YOU COME AROUND
WATERSIDE DRIVE, THERE'S THAT BIG CONCRETE WALL WHICH NEVER
MADE ANY SENSE. >> THAT'S WHERE WE HAVE OUR
FLOODGATES. THERE'S A FLOODGATE THERE AT
NAUTICUS AND THEN THERE'S SEVERAL OTHERS.
THERE'S ONE ON BROOK AVENUE AND THEN THERE'S ONE RIGHT BEHIND
THE WORLD TRADE CENTER, SO -- AND THEN TOWN POINT PARK, OF
COURSE. THEY'RE KIND OF HIDDEN SO THAT
THE CITIZENS AND VISITORS OF NORFOLK DON'T REALLY KNOW THAT
THEY'RE FLOODGATES, BUT YES, WE DO HAVE THE GATES THERE IN THOSE
LOCATIONS. >> NOW, THAT BIG BOX IS A
PUMPING STATION. >> YES.
>> THAT'S WHERE YOU'RE MEASURING THE TIDE, RIGHT?
>> YEAH, WE MEASURE THE TIDE FROM THAT PARTICULAR LOCATION.
DOWNTOWN, THE SEWELLS POINT TIDE FROM THAT PARTICULAR LOCATION.
IT'S OUR MAIN PUMPING STATION FOR DOWNTOWN, AND SO WE'RE ABLE
TO MONITOR THE TIDES AND IT HELPS US ALONG.
>> YOU DON'T JUST CLOSE THE GATES BECAUSE THEY'RE PREDICTING
IT. WHEN THE TIDES GET TO A CERTAIN
LEVEL. >> YES, WHEN THE TIDE GETS ABOUT
JUST BEFORE -- I THINK IT'S FIVE FEET, RIGHT AT FIVE FEET, GATES
WILL CLOSE. WE CLOSE THE GATES AT FIVE FEET.
>> YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH A COUPLE OF THESE STORMS.
>> ABSOLUTELY, YES. >> AND HERE IN NORFOLK.
>> YES. >> RICHARD, THE REASON I ASK
THAT BECAUSE YOU WERE NEW TO THIS STORM IN THE CITY OF
NORFOLK, RIGHT? >> RIGHT.
>> WHERE WERE YOU BEFORE? >> CITY OF CHESAPEAKE, STORM
WATER. >> I GOT TO ASK, HOW DID WE DO?
>> DID GREAT. IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
OPERATION, WE DIDN'T HAVE FLOODGATES OR PUMP STATIONS OR
CRUISE SHIPS FOR THAT MATTER. >> THAT'S RIGHT.
LET'S TALK ABOUT THE CRUISE SHIP AND THE FLOODGATES.
THAT ADDED A NEW CHALLENGE. >> THAT WAS INTERESTING.
WE STARTED GETTING CALLS ABOUT FRIDAY AND SATURDAY, CRUISE
SHIPS WERE SUPPOSED TO COME IN ON SUNDAY AND DISCHARGE 3,000
PASSENGERS AND LOAD ANOTHER SHIP WITH 3,000 MORE PASSENGERS RIGHT
AT THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM, SO WE WERE CONCERNED ABOUT THAT.
BUT THE CRUISE SHIP PEOPLE WORKED WITH US AND WE WERE ABLE
TO DO MOST OF THAT ON SATURDAY. >> LET ME ASK YOU GUYS.
THE EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER KIND OF OPENS UP PARTIALLY FOR
THAT KIND OF CONVERSATION, BUT YOU DON'T -- LIKE I SAID, CONE
OF UNCERTAINTY, RIGHT? >> RIGHT.
>> HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO MAKE A DECISION OR CALL THE SHOTS,
DAVE? >> WELL, I THINK IT'S FROM
EXPERIENCE. WE KNOW WHAT OUR FLOOD LEVELS
ARE ACCORDING TO THE TIDES. WE KNOW WHAT KIND OF DAMAGE
WE'RE GOING TO GET FROM CERTAIN SPEEDS OF THE WIND, SO I MEAN,
THIS IS ALL FROM EXPERIENCE AND WE CAN PROJECT WHAT WE NEED AND
WE PUT THE ASSETS AND THE PERSONNEL AT THE RIGHT LOCATIONS
SO THEY'RE AVAILABLE WHEN THEY'RE NEEDED.
>> I'M HEARING, PLAN FOR THE WORTH BUT HOPE FOR THE BEST.
>> THERE'S A LOT OF THAT. >> WHAT DID WE GET?
>> WE GOT SOME FLOODING, HIGH WINDS, BUT DIDN'T RECEIVE ANY
DAMAGE WITH TREES DOWN. NONE OF THE INFRASTRUCTURE, THE
SIDEWALKS FARED VERY WELL. ISABEL, HAD WE MORE
INFRASTRUCTURE DAMAGE. UNFORTUNATELY, SOME OF OUR
CITIZENS DID HAVE SOME FLOODING IN AREAS, SO IT WAS PRETTY MUCH
CONTAINED IN THOSE AREAS. OUR CITIZENS DID HAVE SOME
DAMAGE THAT THEY'RE DEALING WITH STILL.
>> I KNOW SOME OF YOUR EQUIPMENT WAS PUT IN PLACE TOO, BECAUSE IN
THE PAST, AGAIN, PART OF THE LEARNING CURVE WHERE WE USED TO
HAVE POLICE OFFICERS CLOSE OFF THE STREET AND WE GOT A NEW USE
FOR BIG EQUIPMENT NOW, BLOCKING OFF SOME OF THAT AREA?
>> YES, WE USED SOME OF OUR EQUIPMENT TO BLOCK OFF SOME OF
THE UNDERPASSES, WHICH PARTICULAR STORM WE DIDN'T HAVE
FLOODING AT ANY OF THE UNDERPASSES AT ALL, BUT WE
WANTED TO BE SURE THAT CERTAIN AREAS THAT DO FLOOD DUE TO THE
HIGH TIDE, THAT WE WERE ABLE TO PUT OUR VEHICLES IN PLACE TO
KEEP THE CITIZENS SAFE. IT.
>> PREVENTS THEM BUT ALSO ALLOWS OUR RESOURCES TO BE USED FOR
POLICE OFFICERS. >> ABSOLUTELY.
>> WE HAVE ABOUT 30 SECONDS LEFT.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TIDAL FLOODING AND RAIN FLOODING.
>> TIDAL FLOODING, THE OCEAN ITSELF IS COMING IN AND RISING
BECAUSE OF THE PUSH OF THE STORM.
THE RAIN IS THE AMOUNT OF RAIN THAT ACTUALLY COMES DOWN AND I
THINK WE GOT IN THE 6 TO 6 1/2 RANGE CATEGORY, WHICH COMPARED
TO SOME OF THE OTHER STORMS WAS PRETTY MODERATE.
IN THE FAST WHEN FRANKLIN WAS FLOODED, THAT WAS 16 INCHES OF
RAIN THAT CAME IN WITH THAT STORM BACK IN `98, SO THAT TYPE
STUFF. THE WATER IS COMING DOWN FROM
THE RAIN OR BEING PUSHED IN FROM THE OCEAN.
>> SO A LOT OF VARIABLES, A LOT OF OPPORTUNITIES TO SAY IT'S NOT
GOING TO HAPPEN, BUT YOU GUYS WERE ON THE MONEY WITH IT.
THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US SAFE, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, KEEPING US
GOING FOR THE NEXT STORM COMING. >>> BY THE WAY, YOU AND I
QUALIFY FOR OUR NEXT SEGMENT BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOME FACIAL
HAIR. YOU AND I ARE OUT.
STAY TUNED AND FIND OUT WHAT THAT'S ALL ABOUT.
\M\M \M\M
>>> WELCOME BACK TO NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES.
WELL, NAUTICUS AND THE ADMIRALS HAVE TEAMED UP AND IT HAS
SOMETHING TO DO WITH FACIAL HAIR, SO ERIN WALKER, MUSTACHE
BASH COORDINATOR, AND TROY BODE. >> RIGHT.
>> YOU'VE GOT THE MUSTACHE, BUT SHE'S THE COORDINATOR, SO WHAT
DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH FACIAL HAIR?
>> WELL, THE IDEA IS ON NOVEMBER 30th, FROM 7:00 TO 11:00, IN THE
HALF MOONE RIGHT NEXT TO NAUTICUS, YOU SHOW UP AT -- WITH
A MUSTACHE AND YOU HAVE A GOOD TIME.
I CAN'T -- >> OKAY.
YEAH, THAT'S -- YOU WANT TO DO THIS ALL FOR A GOOD TIME.
BUT MY PROBLEM IS, HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE, YOU DON'T, SO WHAT IF
I LOOK LIKE YOU AND I'M FACIALLY CHALLENGED?
>> I BROUGHT YOU A GIFT, BOB. >> AH!
SO YOU'VE GOT ONE JUST IN CASE. >> YOU HAVE TO PUT THAT ON
THERE. >> IT GOES THIS WAY?
>> OH, YEAH. PERFECT.
>> ALL THE WAY? >> YEAH, ALL THE WAY.
>> THAT'S PERFECT. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO
STRAIGHTEN IT OUT. >> AND IT'S NOT GOING TO BE THE
LAST -- I GOT TO ASK YOU, TROY, HOW DID YOU GET ROPED INTO DOING
THIS? >> ANY EXCUSE NOT TO SHAVE MY
FACE, I'M GOING TO JUMP ALL OVER.
>> YOU DECIDED TO JUST GO WITH THE MUSTACHE.
WHAT DID -- >> NO, IT'S MOVEMBER, ALL ABOUT
GROWING JUST THE MUSTACHE. >> JUST THE MUSTACHE.
>> YOU HAVE TO SHAVE EVERYTHING ELSE AND ALL THE AWARENESS FOR
PROSTATE AND TESTICULAR CANCER AND MEN'S HEALTH.
>> SO YOU STARTED GROWING THAT THE FIRST OF NOVEMBER?
>> ABSOLUTELY, JUST A WEEK AGO. >> REALLY?
>> I STARTED GROWING IT A LITTLE EARLIER.
YEARS PREVIOUS, I'VE STARTED IT IN NOVEMBER 1st AND BY THE END
OF THE MONTH, YOU HAVE A HALF MUSTACHE.
>> NO, YOU DON'T. >> YEAH, YOU DO.
I WANTED TO GET A HEADSTART. >> HE'S SO EXCITED.
>> I WAS COUNTING ON GROWING ONE TOO AND MY WIFE, WHO WORKS AT
NAUTICUS, WAS AFTER ME ABOUT GROWING A MUSTACHE OR HAVING
THIS SEGMENT ON AND WHEN I WENT TO GROW THE MUSTACHE, SHE KEPT
TELLING ME I LOOKED LIKE A BUM, WHICH I DON'T UNDERSTAND
BECAUSE -- >> LET US BE THE JUDGE OF THAT.
>> THERE YOU GO. I TRIED TO GO FOR ONE DAY
WITHOUT SHAVING BECAUSE IT WORKS FOR BRAD PITT, RIGHT?
>> THAT'S RIGHT, VERY SIMILAR. >> DO THEY REALLY HAVE TO HAVE A
MUSTACHE TO PARTICIPATE? CAN THEY JUST COME AND --
>> I'M SURE THEY, COULD RIGHT? >> RIGHT.
WE'LL HAVE MUSTACHES ON A STICK OR LADIES CAN GET T-SHIRTS OR
JEWELRY. THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF WAYS TO
FLAUNT YOUR MUSTACHE. YOU DON'T JUST HAVE TO GROW ONE.
>> THERE YOU GO, BECAUSE THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE IT WAS WORN BY
SOMEBODY ELSE BEFORE ME. I JUST DO THAT.
>> YOU WILL BE ALLOWED IN. >> YOU GOT THE JERSEY AND I HAVE
TO TALK HOCKEY HERE. WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THE SEASON?
>> WE STARTED OFF PRETTY HOT. WE HAD A HOME STAND TO START AND
WE JUST CAME BACK FROM A ROAD TRIP, BUT IT'S STILL EARLY IN
THE SEASON. WE'RE STILL TRYING TO FEEL OUT
OUR TEAM AND GET USED TO THE AREA AND WHAT NOT.
AND IT'S -- I FEEL PRETTY GOOD ABOUT THE DIRECTION WE'RE GOING
AND I THINK WE'LL HAVE A GOOD SEASON.
>> YOU'RE NOT EVEN THE COACH. >> PARDON ME?
>> YOU'RE NOT EVEN THE COACH. >> NO, I'M NOT THE COACH.
>> THAT SOUNDS LIKE COACH TALK TO ME.
LET ME ASK FROM A PLAYER'S POINT OF VIEW BECAUSE PART OF THE
WHOLE PURPOSE OF THIS TEAM TO GET PEOPLE ON THE ICE AND WHEN
THEY GET REALLY, REALLY GOOD, THEY MOVE THEM ON.
WHAT'S THAT DO TO THE RHYTHM OF THE TEAM?
>> IT'S REALLY PART OF IT, ESPECIALLY IN THIS LEAGUE.
IT IS A DEVELOPMENTAL LEAGUE, PLAYERS ARE TRYING TO, YOU KNOW,
HONE THEIR SKILLS AND GET UP TO THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE AND
WHEN PLAYERS GO UP, YOU JUST REALLY HAVE TO ADOPT AND, YOU
KNOW, JUST -- IT'S PART OF HOCKEY, CONSTANTLY CHANGING
SYSTEMS AND WHAT NOT. IF YOUR STAR FORWARD GOES UP,
YOU HAVE TO ADAPT AND NEW GUYS GO IN THERE AND GET THE
OPPORTUNITIES AND WHAT NOT. THAT'S JUST PART OF IT.
>> TELL ME ABOUT THE FANS. WHAT ARE THESE FANS LIKE?
>> THE FANS ARE GREAT. THEY LOVE THEIR HOCKEY OUT HERE
AND THEY'RE KNOWLEDGEABLE, THEY KNOW IT, AND IT'S REALLY NICE,
ACTUALLY, COMING OUT AND MEETING WITH THE FANS AND STUFF AND
REALIZING THEY REALLY KNOW THEIR HOCKEY.
>> DOES THAT KIND OF SURPRISE YOU?
>> A LITTLE BIT, YEAH. >> PRETAPE WE WERE TALKING ABOUT
YOU HOSTING YOUR FRONT LAWN WHERE YOU LEARNED -- SO YOU'RE
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FIRST FREEZE.
>> YEAH, YEAH. >> WE'RE SCARED TO DEATH OF IT.
>> I'M CANADIAN WHERE YOU WALK AROUND THE STREET AND EVERYONE
KNOWS THEIR HOCKEY. WE'RE BORN WITH IT, YOU KNOW,
AND YOU COME DOWN HERE IN THE SOUTH AND IT'S -- YOU DON'T
EXPECT IT, BUT AROUND THE RINK AND IN SCOPE ARENA, THEY KNOW
THEIR HOCKEY, SO PRETTY GOOD. >> FIRST PLACE I EVER GOT BOOED.
WELL, I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO STAND UP AND WALK
AROUND. >> OH, YEAH, SOME RINKS WILL
DUMP A BEER ON YOUR HEAD FOR DOING THAT.
>> OH, YEAH. >> SO HERE WE'RE JUST ASKING YOU
TO SHAVE YOUR FACIAL HAIR. >> THAT'S RIGHT.
>> START GROWING IT NOW, IT WILL WORK.
>> YES, IT WILL WORK. >> NOVEMBER 30th.
>> IN THE HALF MOONE 7:00 TO 11:00.
>> AND DO THEY BUY TICKETS THERE OR DO THEY --
>> YOU CAN BUY TICKETS IN ADVANCE.
THEY'RE $25 AT NAUTICUS.ORG, OR YOU CAN COME TO THE NAUTICUS
ADMISSIONS DESK OR THE NIGHT OF, IT WILL BE $30 AT THE DOOR.
>> WHAT A GREAT WAY TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR THE ADMIRALS, FOR
NAUTICUS, BUT ALSO MORE IMPORTANTLY FOR BECOMING AWARE
OF MEN'S HEALTH ISSUES. >> ABSOLUTELY.
>> ABSOLUTELY. >> THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU
GUYS ARE DOING AND LOOKING FORWARD TO THE 30th.
I WISH I HAD SOMETHING TO SHAVE OFF, BUT THIS WON'T COUNT.
>>> WHEN WE COME BACK, I KNOW SOMEBODY WHO CAN SHAVE, TWO
SHERIFFS. STAY TUNED.
[ LAUGHTER ] >> THAT'S LOVE, THAT'S LOVE.
>> THAT'S A LUCKY DOG. [ BRAKES SQUEALING ]
[ WIND BLOWING ] >>> WELCOME BACK TO NORFOLK
PERSPECTIVES. I'VE GOT TWO VERY SPECIAL
GUESTS, SHERIFF BOBBY McCABE, NORFOLK SHERIFF'S OFFICE, HOW
YOU DOING? >> DOING GREAT, BOB.
>> YOU BROUGHT A FRIEND WITH YOU.
>> I DID, I DID. ALL THE WAY FROM THE CITY OF
CHESAPEAKE. >> YOU LIKE TO INTRODUCE HIM?
>> THIS IS THE NEW SHERIFF IN CHESAPEAKE, SHERIFF JIM
O'SULLIVAN WHO WAS AT THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE FOR 20 YEARS,
AND WHEN SHERIFF NEWHART RETIRED, HE STEPPED UP AND HE'S
NOW REPRESENTING THE CITIZENS OF CHESAPEAKE.
>> THAT'S AWESOME. WELCOME TO NORFOLK AND WELCOME
TO NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES SOFA. >> THANK YOU.
IT'S GREAT TO BE HERE. >> I LIKE HAVING HIM HAVE A
FRIEND BECAUSE THERE'S -- YOU KNOW, IT'S THAT
POINT/COUNTERPOINT. YOU DOING GOOD?
>> I THINK I'M DOING GOOD. >> WHAT'S GREAT TO HAVE THE
SHERIFF ON IS EVERY TIME HE'S ON THE SOFA, HE TALKS ABOUT GOOD
THINGS FOR THE COMMUNITY AND KIDS.
YOU HAVE A SPECIAL FOOTBALL GAME TO TALK ABOUT, NOT JUST YOUR OWN
FOUNDATION, RIGHT? >> WE DO.
ACTUALLY, SHERIFF O'SULLIVAN AND I ARE COMBINING OUR OFFICES AND
WE'RE PLAYING IN A CHARITY FOOTBALL GAME, A PRELUDE TO THE
LEGENDS GAME, WHICH IS A CHARITY BOWL AND ALL THE PROCEEDS GO TO
THE VIRGINIA PILOT JOY FUND. OUR TWO TEAMS ARE PLAYING AT
6:00 BEFORE THE LEGENDS GAME IN A FLAG FOOTBALL GAME AND I THINK
WE'RE BOTH GOING TO BE PLAYING QUARTERBACK IN A FEW OF THE
PLAYS FOR OUR TEAM. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FLAG AND NOT
TACKLE. >> I READ IN HERE, FULL BODY
CONTACT, BUT THAT'S FOR THE OTHER GAME?
>> THAT'S FOR THE OTHER GAME. YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO MENTION
THAT IN FRONT OF HIM BECAUSE THAT WAS ON THE QT I WAS TALKING
ABOUT. SOME OF OUR FOLKS MAY MISS THE
FLAG AND POSSIBLY MAYBE HAVE SOME TYPE OF BODY CONTACT.
>> THE RULES SEEM TO BE CHANGING BY THE MINUTE, I THINK.
>> HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN THIS GUY?
>> I'VE KNOWN HIM FOR PROBABLY OVER TEN YEARS, BUT GOT TO KNOW
HIM VERY WELL OVER THE LAST YEAR THROUGH THE TRANSITION, BECOMING
THE NEW SHERIFF IN CHESAPEAKE. YOU ALWAYS WANT TO REACH OUT TO
THOSE PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN THERE AND DONE IT BEFORE YOU
AND, OF COURSE, I REACHED OUT TO SHERIFF McCABE.
HE'S EXTREMELY WELL RESPECTED AROUND THE STATE AND HE'S HELPED
ME OUT A LOT AND I GREATLY APPRECIATE THAT.
>> SEE, HE SAID THAT ON CAMERA. >> THAT'S VERY KIND.
>> NOW, WHEN IT COMES TO THE FOOTBALL GAME, IT WON'T BE AS --
>> I WAS GOING TO SAY, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SIT BACK AND WATCH.
HOW DID YOU GUYS GET INTO THIS? I MEAN, WHAT --
>> ACTUALLY, DENNIS ELMER, WHO IS THE HEAD OF PRIORITY NISSAN,
ALL THE CAR DEALERSHIPS, ACTUALLY AN OCEAN VIEW BOY, BORN
AND RAISED IN OCEAN VIEW RIGHT HERE IN NORFOLK --
>> THAT HELPS HIM, THAT'S COOL. >> ABSOLUTELY.
AND HE REACHED OUT TO MYSELF, REACH OUT TO JIM AND HE'S
REACHED OUT TO A NUMBER OF FOLKS AND HE WANTED TO -- THE CHARITY
BOWL HAS BEEN DECLINING OVER THE YEARS AS THE PLAYERS HAVE GOTTEN
OLDER, THE PARTICIPATION HASN'T BEEN AS MUCH AND HE WANTED TO
REINVIGORATE IT, SO HE REACHED OUT TO US, TO THE COMMUNITIES,
AND HE'S BEEN PRIMARILY RESPONSIBLE FOR RAISING OVER
$100,000. >> FOR THE JOY FUND.
>> FOR THE JOY FUND, AND ONE OF THE BIG SPONSORS IS MONARCH
BANK, NEIL CRAWFORD AND THAT GROUP, AND THEY PUT THE MONEY UP
AND IT'S ALL FOR CHARITY. THERE'S GOING TO BE A PEEWEE
GAME BEFORE OURS AND THEN WE PLAY AND THERE'S A BAND
COMPETITION. >> BATTLE OF THE BANDS.
>> GOVERNOR McDONNELL IS GOING TO BE COMING BACK DOWN AND DOING
THE COIN TOSS FOR THE BIG GAME, SO DENNIS AND HIS COMMITTEE HAVE
DONE A FANTASTIC JOB OF BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER FOR THIS EVENT.
>> SO IT WILL BE ON NOVEMBER 30th AT PRINCESS ANNE HIGH
SCHOOL, RIGHT? >> RIGHT.
>> WAIT A MINUTE, IF YOU GUYS STARTED GROWING A MUSTACHE NOW,
YOU COULD DO IT ALL. >> WE'D PROBABLY HAVE MORE
SUCCESS GROWING OUT OUR EYEBROWS.
>> REALLY? >> YEAH, AND THEN --
>> KIND OF MATCH IN WITH THE LITTLE, YOU KNOW --
>> DO YOU HAVE YOUR BIBLE VERSES PICKED OUT?
>> THAT'S RIGHT, ABSOLUTELY. >> YOU SHARED YOUR INSIDE.
YOU'RE GOING TO DO SOME ROUGH PLAY.
YOU DON'T PLAY LIKE THAT IN CHESAPEAKE, DO YOU?
>> WHEN YOU ASKED EARLIER HOW WE GET INVOLVED, IT WAS DIFFERENT
ON MY SIDE. DENNIS ELMER, WHO'S A GOOD
FRIEND OF OURS, HE REACHED OUT AND SAID I'M LOOKING FOR THE
MOST ATHLETIC SHERIFF'S OFFICE IN HAMPTON ROADS AND I SAID
WE'LL STEP FORWARD AND DO THAT, AND HE SAID HE WANTED TO SETTLE
FORT NORFOLK SHERIFF'S OFFICE AFTERWARDS, SO WE CAME TOGETHER
AND WE'LL HAVE A LOT OF FUN ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD.
>> WHAT POSITION ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY?
>> QUARTERBACK, OF COURSE. >> I GOT TO PLAY QUARTERBACK.
>> SO WHAT'S YOUR LONG BALL LOOK LIKE?
>> WELL, I'VE BEEN PRACTICING WITH COACH WILDER FOR SEVERAL
WEEKS NOW. >> I WAS WONDERING WHEN YOU WERE
GOING TO BRING THAT UP. YOU KIND OF PAL AROUND WITH HIM
A LITTLE BIT, DON'T YOU? >> WELL, OF COURSE, HE'S GREAT
FOR OUR COMMUNITY NOW AND VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE TEAM.
>> THE RECORD IS WHAT NOW? >> THEY ARE 9-1, AND THEY PLAY
JAMES MADISON SATURDAY AND IF THEY WIN, THEY CAN'T WIN THE
TITLE BECAUSE WE'RE MOVING OUT OF THAT LEAGUE, BUT HE WILL
BE -- IT WILL BE UNOFFICIAL CIAA WINNER, WHICH JUST THINK ABOUT
IT, IT'S BEEN FOUR YEARS AND JUST AMAZING HOW FAR THEY HAVE
COME. >> SO YOU'RE GETTING SOME TIPS
FROM HIM. >> SECRET TIPS THAT I CAN'T TALK
ABOUT HERE. >> KNEES UP.
>> CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT. >> IT'S A VERY SERIOUS GAME.
>> OKAY. SHERIFF, I GOT TO ASK YOU IN
CLOSING, BECAUSE GETTING READY FOR THE NEXT SEASON COMING UP, I
KNOW IT'S GETTING NIPPY OUT THERE AND SOME DON'T GOLF ALL
YEAR LONG. YOU GOLF TOO?
>> I GOLF, BUT NOT VERY WELL. >> THERE YOU GO.
>> LIKE ME. >> YOU GOT YOURSELF A FOURSOME.
I WANT TO THANK BOTH OF YOU. I KNOW YOU'RE NEW AT BEING THE
SHERIFF, BUT YOU'RE WITH THE PRO.
>> ABSOLUTELY. >> AND, YOU KNOW, I RAZZ HIM A
LOT ON THAT SOFA, BUT HE'S -- WE'RE REAL PROUD OF OUR SHERIFF
HERE. >> WELL, I APPRECIATE THAT, BOB,
AND I'LL TELL YOU WHAT. THIS GUY HERE, HE MIGHT BE NEW
IN OFFICE FOR TWO MONTHS, BUT HE'S HIT THE GROUND RUNNING AND
HE'S GOING TO DO A FANTASTIC JOB OUT THERE IN CHESAPEAKE.
>> SO NOVEMBER 30th, 7:30 -- OR 6:00 IT ALL GETS GOING.
>> 6:00 IS OUR GAME, 7:00 IS THE LEGENDS GAME.
PRINCESS ANNE HIGH SCHOOL AND IF YOU GO TO CHARITY FOOTBALL
GAME.COM, THAT'S THE WEBSITE, AND TICKETS ARE $10 AND AGAIN,
IT'S ALL FOR CHARITY FOR THE JOY FUND.
>> TEN BUCKS TO SEE YOU GUYS PLAY DIRTY?
>> RIGHT. >> NO, I MEAN, IT'S ALL PLAYING
BY THE RULES. FLAG FOOTBALL, BIG FLAGS, CAN'T
MISS THEM, RIGHT? >> THAT'S WHAT THEY SAY.
>> ARE YOU WEARING STUN GUNS? ARE YOU THINKING OF WEAR STUN
GUNS? >> NO, WE ARE STUN GUNS.
WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DO SOME CHECKS BEFORE THE GAME.
>> WE WILL HAVE A METAL DETECTOR BEFORE OUR GAME.
>> YOU GUYS TALK AMONG YOURSELF WHILE I FIGURE OUT WHO'S NEXT.
OWE, YEAH, YOU KNOW BONITA HARRIS?
>> I DO, COME TO THINK OF IT. >> DOMINION POWER.
>> DOING A GREAT JOB. >> USED TO BE IN YOUR OFFICE.
>> SHE DID AND MOVED ON TO DOMINION POWER AND DOES A GREAT
JOB. >> SHE TALKED ABOUT YOUR GOLF
GAME TOO. BONITA HARRIS RIGHT HERE ON THIS
SOFA NEXT TIME. \M\M
>>> WELCOME BACK TO NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES.
YES, BONITA BILLINGSLEY HARRIS IS RIGHT HERE ON THE SOFA.
HOW YOU DOING? >> GOOD, ALWAYS GOOD TO SEE YOU,
BOB. THANKS FOR HAVING US.
>> I'M SO GLAD YOU CAME ON BECAUSE THE WINDS WERE BLOWING
AND THE TREES WERE DOING THIS AND WE WERE WAITING FOR
EVERYTHING TO COME IN AND THERE YOU WERE ON YOUR OLD ALMA MATER
DECK, TELLING US THAT DOMINION VIRGINIA POWER IS HERE.
>> THAT'S RIGHT. WE HAD TO KNOW HOW TO GET FOLKS
PREPARED AND STAY SAFE. >> AND MICHAEL BYNUN, YOU'RE THE
ONE SHE'S TALKING ABOUT ALL THE TIME WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT.
>> HOW YOU DOING, BOB. >> YOU'VE GOTTEN GOING UP THE
POLES FOR HOW LONG NOW? >> FOR 24 YEARS.
>> SO YOU'VE SEEN A FEW STORMS BEHIND YOU.
>> YEAH, SEEN A FEW STORMS. ISABEL, IRENE, THE LAST ONE WE
HAD A COUPLE -- THIS SUMMER. >> OH, YEAH, SO YOU GET TO
FOLLOW SOME OF THEM AROUND THAT DON'T EVEN HIT US.
>> THAT'S RIGHT. >> NOW, WHAT DOMINION POWER DO
YOU WORK OUT OF? >> OUT OF THE NORFOLK OFFICE,
CROMWELL ROAD. >> NOW, YOU ARE A NATIVE TO
NORFOLK TOO. >> YES, SIR.
>> SO WERE YOU ON THE OTHER END FOR SEVERAL YEARS SAYING WHY ARE
MY LIGHTS OUT AND WHERE IS THAT POWER COMPANY?
>> YES I WAS. >> AND HAVE YOU TAKEN BACK
EVERYTHING YOU SAID ABOUT THOSE? >> THAT'S RIGHT.
>> HOW -- I'M IN REVERENCE, BY THE WAY.
I WAS ONE OF THOSE IN THE LAST STORM, IRENE.
WE HAD JUST GOT -- WE CLOSED DOWN THE EMERGENCY OPERATIONS
CENTER, THE STORM WAS OVER WITH, I'M DRIVING HOME AND MY WIFE
CALLS AND SAID OUR POWER JUST WENT OUT.
IT WAS ONE OF THOSE TREES THAT TOOK OUT THREE POLES IN OUR
NEIGHBORHOOD. >> WOW.
>> SO AFTER NOW THAT I SAY THANK YOU, WHAT TAKES YOU SO LONG?
>> WELL, YOU KNOW, WE APPROACH EACH JOB WITH SAFETY.
SAFETY IS OUR NUMBER ONE GOAL. SAFETY IS FIRST.
SO THERE'S A LOT OF THINGS THAT WE HAVE TO DO IN ORDER FOR US TO
GET ON THE CIRCUIT. WE HAVE TO HAVE CERTAIN
CLEARANCES AND STUFF. WE JUST CAN'T GO RIGHT OUT AND
WORK ON A CIRCUIT. >> I WAS GOING TO SAY, BECAUSE
YOU WERE UP THERE WHEN THE WINDS ARE BLOWING, WHEN THE RAIN AND
SNOW ARE COMING. THE STORM'S NOT EVEN OVER.
>> YES, SIR. >> AND SEEMS LIKE YOU GUYS ARE
ALREADY OUT THERE. >> YES, SIR.
>> TELL THE TRUTH, BOB. YOU WEREN'T OUT LONG, WERE YOU?
BECAUSE THESE GUYS GET RIGHT OUT THERE AND WORK FAST.
>> NO, I WASN'T, AND IN ISABEL, I GOT TO SHARE WITH YOU TOO.
MY NEIGHBOR WAS ONE OF THOSE ON THE TENTH DAY FINALLY WENT OUT
AND GOT THE GENERATOR TOP OF THE LINE AND WE HAD JUST PLUGGED OUR
REFRIGERATOR INTO HIS GENERATOR WITH HIS PERMISSION --
>> OKAY. >> BOOM, LIGHTS CAME ON, ALL OF
THEM. >> GOOD.
>> AND WITH HURRICANE SANDY, WE HAD MORE THAN 82,000 CUSTOMERS
GO OUT. HAD 1,000 REPAIR LOCATIONS AND
IN ABOUT TWO DAYS, MIKE AND THE CREWS HAD EVERYBODY'S LIGHTS ON
IN HAMPTON ROADS. >> IT'S FUNNY YOU SAY THAT
BECAUSE DURING THE STORM, ONE OF THE THINGS WE DO AT THE
EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER, NOT ONLY THE GUYS EARLIER IN THE
SHOW GETTING READY TO FLOOD, BUT WE ALSO MONITOR THE OUTAGES, AND
EVEN THOUGH YOU HAD THAT MANY CUSTOMERS OUT, YOU WERE ON TOP
OF IT SO QUICKLY THAT IT FLUCTUATED THROUGHOUT THE STORM.
>> THAT'S TRUE. THEY DID AN EXCELLENT JOB WITH
KEEPING UP WITH THE PACE. WE WERE PREPARED WELL BEFORE THE
STORM HIT. OUR METEOROLOGISTS TRACK THE
STORMS BEFORE THEY COME AND WE DID DRILLS, INVEST IN
INFRASTRUCTURE AND PRACTICE ALL YEAR LONG, SO EVEN BEFORE THE
STORM HIT, MIKE AND THE CREWS WERE ON STANDBY READY TO WORK
AROUND THE CLOCK SHIFTS AND BROUGHT IN CREWS FROM AROUND THE
STATE TO GET POWER BACK ON AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.
I THINK TWO DAYS IS AMAZING FOR A STORM AS POWERFUL AS HURRICANE
SANDY. >> EVERYBODY IS BRAVE WHEN IT
COMES TO, MAINLY YOU. HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU CAN
DO -- PUT IT BACK TOGETHER? >> WELL, IT'S PRETTY SIMPLE.
YOU KNOW, US -- >> YOU'RE SO HUMBLE.
>> YES, US GUYS YOU KNOW AS HINEMEN, THAT'S WHAT WE --
LINEMEN, WHAT'S WE DO FOR A LIVING, SO WE KNOW EXACTLY THE
TYPE OF WORK PROCEDURES AND WHICH WIRES TO HOOK UP FIRST AND
ALL THAT IN ORDER TO RESTORE POWER.
>> SO KIND OF LIKE THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT EARLIER WITH THE
STORM WATER, I MEAN, YOU LEARN FROM EACH EXPERIENCE AND YOU'RE
BUILDING UPON THAT EXPERIENCE. >> YES, SIR.
>> LET ME ASK YOU BECAUSE THERE'S ONE OF THE WIFE'S TALES.
IF YOU LIVE NEAR A HOSPITAL, YOU GET YOUR FOUR ON FASTER.
>> POSSIBLY. IF YOU'RE ON THE SAME LINE AS A
HOSPITAL BECAUSE HOSPITALS, OF COURSE, DO TAKE PRIORITY IN THE
PRIORITY OF RESTORATION, BECAUSE WE HAVE TO RESTORE HOSPITALS AND
ALL CRITICAL SERVICES LIKE POLICE, FIRE, SHERIFF, WATER
TREATMENT FACILITIES. THOSE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE AT
THE TOP OF THE LIST, SO IF YOU HAPPEN TO SHARE A TRANSMISSION
LINE OR DISTRIBUTION LINE WITH ONE OF THOSE FOLKS, YOU WILL BE
ONE OF THE FIRST TO COME ON. AFTER THAT, IT GOES WITH THE
LARGEST NUMBER OF CUSTOMERS DOWN TO THE SMALLEST NUMBER.
SO IF MIKE AND THE GUYS CAN GO OUT AND MAKE A REPAIR THAT WILL
RESTORE 5,000 CUSTOMERS, THEY WILL DO THAT BEFORE THEY RESTORE
THE ONE THAT RESTORES FIVE CUSTOMERS, SO IT DEPENDS ON WHAT
LINE YOU'RE ON. >> NOW, I MENTIONED GENERATORS.
>> YES, SIR. >> HOW DO THEY OPERATE WITH YOUR
OPERATION, GETTING PEOPLE BACK ON?
SOMEBODY IS HOOKED UP TO A GENERATOR AND ALL OF A SUDDEN
THEIR POWER COMES BACK ON, DOESN'T THAT SCREW UP SOMETHING
IN. >> NO, SIR.
NORMALLY, WE WILL HAVE THEM TO TURN THEIR GENERATOR OFF OR PLUS
THEY PROTECTED ON THEIR SIDE SO WHEN OUR POWER COMES BACK UP,
THEIR GENERATOR CAN AUTOMATICALLY CUT OFF BY ITSELF
SOMETIMES, SO THEY'RE KIND OF DISCONNECTED FROM US WITH A
DISCONNECT, SO WE CAN BRING THE POWER BACK ON TO THE WHOLE
NEIGHBORHOOD AND ONCE THEY FIND OUT THAT THEIR POWER IS BACK ON,
ONCE THEY SAY THEIR NEIGHBORS AND THEY CAN GO AND CUT THEIR
GENERATORS OFF. >> OKAY, COOL.
>> YES, SIR. >> LET'S TALK ABOUT NEW YORK
BECAUSE WE GOT SAVED WHEN YOU LOOK AT NEW YORK.
YOU ALL PARTICIPATING UP THERE? >> YES, WE WERE DEFINITELY
BLESSED BY THE PATH OF SANDY HERE, BUT I THINK OUR
PREPARATION ALSO WAS KEY IN HELPING US DO SO WELL COMPARED
TO OUR NEIGHBORS TO THE NORTH, WHICH THEY WERE REALLY HIT HARD
BY SANDY, SO ONCE OUR CREWS GOT EVERYONE RESTORED HERE, THEY
WENT UP TO NORTHERN VIRGINIA. OUR NEIGHBORS IN NORTHERN
VIRGINIA HAD A HARDER TIME THAN WE DID.
ONCE THEY MADE SURE THAT EVERYBODY WAS RESTORED IN
VIRGINIA, ALL OF OUR DOMINION VIRGINIA POWER CUSTOMERS, THEY
WENT UP TO HELP THE CREWS IN NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY, SO WE HAD
ALMOST A THOUSAND EMPLOYEES FROM THIS AREA GO UP TO NEW YORK AND
NEW JERSEY AND HELP WITH THE MUTUAL AID EFFORT UP THERE.
MOST OF THEM WERE CENTERED IN CENTRAL NEW JERSEY.
WHEN THEY GOT THERE, THEY HAD 600,000 CUSTOMERS WITHOUT POWER.
>> SO WHEN DID THEY -- >> THEY GOT BACK YESTERDAY AND
ALMOST ALL OF THE CUSTOMERS IN THAT PART OF NEW JERSEY HIT BY
HURRICANE SANDY HAD BEEN RESTORED.
PEOPLE WERE BRINGING THEM CAKES AND EVERYTHING.
>> HEY, HERE WE GO! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING THAT
YOU HAVE DONE TO KEEP OUR LIGHTS ON AFTER THE STORM.
>> CERTAINLY. >> WE APPRECIATE IT.
WE'D LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO SEE ON TV-48, BUT
MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHAT'S GOING ON IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.
IT'S A WONDERFUL TIME TO BE IN NORFOLK JUST BECAUSE OF YOU AND
YOU AND YOU. THANK YOU.
CAPTIONING PROVIDED BY CAPTION ASSOCIATES, LLC
www.captionassociates.com