The Friday Games Review


Uploaded by androiddevelopers on 12.10.2012

Transcript:
>> NI-LEWIS: Bam. Welcome to The Friday Games Review.
>> GALPIN: Oh, yeah. Rolling in again. All right.
>> NI-LEWIS: Bam. >> GALPIN: Welcome again, to The Friday Games
Review. >> NI-LEWIS All right.
>> GALPIN: I'm Dan Galpin and with me is Ian Ni-Lewis.
>> NI-LEWIS: And we're kicking it old school today. We decided, we've been doing a lot
to bring the quality of the show up and you know lots of new shots...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...lots of new effect, lots of
new... >> GALPIN: Low quality today, that's we were
at, man. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. Today, we just dragged
out the bar table, we got the beers and honestly, we're just going to talk games.
>> GALPIN: Yup. >> NI-LEWIS: And if you guys want to stick
around, that's cool. I'm not going stop you. >> GALPIN: That's right. And we want--we actually
have looked at the moderator page and guys, stop nominating stuff we've already looked
at man, come on. >> NI-LEWIS: I'm also like stop this garbage.
>> GALPIN: Well, yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: I was kind of bummed about that.
>> GALPIN: But now you know, there's some good stuff here. But you know really, man.
We like--we've already reviewed it. We're not going to review again unless...
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN...unless you've done like something
just totally kick ass awesome with it >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. But seriously you know,
hey, we're tired. >> GALPIN: It's been a while...
>> NI-LEWIS: We had some week, yeah. >> GALPIN: Yeah, it's been [INDISTINCT]
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, lots of--lots of stuff going down here at work but...
>> GALPIN: All good. Good stuff. >> NI-LEWIS: Good stuff for you, I guess.
Anyway, point B... >> GALPIN: Dude, we're going to get promoted,
man. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, there you go. All right.
So, anyway, we've got a lot of stuff to talk about but I think we're going to--we're going
to do a little bit of game review or think--we're just going to talk a little bit about games.
We've actually been doing--we--every now then, we kind of do a sweep of a bunch of games
that are popular. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: To see you know, how well they're working on different devices and if there's
any issues with them... >> GALPIN: Developers do very...
>> NI-LEWIS: ...performances like. >> GALPIN: ...interesting things.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: That's what we learn.
>> NI-LEWIS: So, yeah. We've learn some really interesting things that I think it would be
fun to talk about them and at the same time we'd like to you know, look at a few games.
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: And maybe mock some, maybe not.
>> GALPIN: It's possible, yeah. Well, you know, we have--we have--we have our good friends
from Com2uS nominated a game and their games are always fun because they don't--they aren't
intended to appeal to my cultural norm. >> NI-LEWIS: Do you remember when we had to
send that one game back? And say we're not going to feature it unless you take out the
giant red... >> GALPIN: The falace.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...I guess it was supposed to be a rocket.
>> GALPIN: It was, it was, but it--the problem is when you make a rocket with two giant round
orbs on the side of it. It really does have the wrong impression.
>> NI-LEWIS: Especially when the nose is kind of purple.
>> GALPIN: Yes, yeah, absolutely. It was... >> NI-LEWIS: Anyway, today, we're drinking
Lagunitas IPA. >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. Cheers. We need this today.
>> NI-LEWIS: It's a gift from our friend the Famster because I've totally run through my
beer budget and I'm not going to start spending on something else like wine.
>> GALPIN: Beer. No. You're not--come on, it's the beer budget.
>> NI-LEWIS: That's true, that's true. >> GALPIN: Yeah. Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: No, actually you know, what I'm spending it on now is audio stuff and lights.
>> GALPIN: And lights? >> NI-LEWIS: Yup, because we need key lights.
We need key lights... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...coming right back here shining down on your shoulders...
>> GALPIN: That's right. >> NI-LEWIS: It's going to make your hair
look luxurious. >> GALPIN: So, I'm wearing a hat again because
there was some public outcry about the fact that I had no hat last week, so once again.
But what is--what is fun is I'm actually performing in an opera right now in my spare time.
>> NI-LEWIS: I thought you said they're going to make you cut your hair for that.
>> GALPIN: Yeah, they were going to. But... >> NI-LEWIS: And you rebelled?
>> GALPIN: Well, no. I didn't actually... >> NI-LEWIS: Your cast members rebelled.
>> GALPIN: Actually, they first tried to put me in a wig. And they put me in a wig that
was--honestly like the $20 wig special. And I looked I was a game show host. And you know,
when you're in an opera where you're suppose to be in like 1890 or something like that
and you look like you know, Wink Martindale. It just--it just doesn't work.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, Wink Martindale. I miss that guy.
>> GALPIN: I do, too. >> NI-LEWIS: [INDISTINCT] of him, anyway.
>> GALPIN: But they did make me actually dye my beard. This is--this is not the normal
color. So, it shows... >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, I noticed them.
>> GALPIN: ...a lot better on video. I think I'm going to go...
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: ...go Zorro for Halloween this
year because I--do you think I'm rocking the Zorro look?
>> NI-LEWIS: Probably. >> GALPIN: Like fat Zorro is where going forward.
>> NI-LEWIS: And juts because we're probably going to die half-way through when the YouTube
stream cuts out. Might as well say right now that next week, it will be a perfect time
to talk about Halloween apps. >> GALPIN: Absolutely. And Halloween games.
So, you know, we're--we're going to actually have a two weeks of Halloween games so you
know, it doesn't actually say so the moderate pages yet, but please nominate some Halloween
games otherwise, I'm going to nominate them so yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: I don't think it's really a risk. I think that there is...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS:...plenty of--in fact, most games
have come out. >> GALPIN: There's so many zombie games out
there. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, exactly.
>> GALPIN: I mean, seriously. >> NI-LEWIS: Exactly. Right.
>> GALPIN: Now, here we are. It's Farmville with zombies.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yup. >> GALPIN: Zombieville.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: There actually is a game.
>> NI-LEWIS: Actually, so I'm really excited to see if there's going to be an Android version.
My--one of my old co-workers from Project Offset did a mobile game called brains. It's
a zombie real time strategy game. >> GALPIN: It's right up your alley.
>> NI-LEWIS: You play--you play the zombie horde.
>> GALPIN: That's awesome. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: That's very--to me, it's interesting. Okay. So, it's--I'm looking forward to that.
That sounds cool. And--so right now, we'll say the closest we have to Halloween, is we
do--we do have witch wars on tap for today. >> NI-LEWIS: But it's not really a Halloween
witch. >> GALPIN: NO, no. There sort of your sexy
anime witch. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: That's the way we describe it. So--and it's weird because you pointed out,
they do have handcuffs. It's one of the things... >> NI-LEWIS: No, let's...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...do is judge for themselves.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: So just take a look at. Now,
you'll notice that we've completely [INDISTINCT] today, we don't have any titles or anything.
>> GALPIN: Nope, you'll have out figure out what we're...
>> NI-LEWIS: Yup. >> GALPIN: ...looking at on time.
>> NI-LEWIS: It's a mystery. >> GALPIN: Disconnected to the server. Ops,
ops, wait hold on. >> NI-LEWIS: Basically what we did...
>> GALPIN: The game is back. >> NI-LEWIS: ...is, if there's like a lot
of hating in the YouTube comments. >> GALPIN: Uh-huh.
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, first, we'll discount 90% of it because that's what you do with YouTube
comments if you want to remain sane. No offense. But...
>> GALPIN: Wait--did we start out saying, that's the real question.
>> NI-LEWIS: No. >> GALPIN: Yeah, that's what I was going to
say. >> NI-LEWIS: And of course I'm not talking
about any of our live viewers because they all rock.
>> GALPIN: Point being. >> NI-LEWIS: That I--we are kind of like just
winging this show today... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ... but we'd love to hear--yeah, a sort of you know, counter point what we've
been doing before which is kind of like slick and over produced I guess. You know, what
do you think? >> GALPIN: Yeah, let us--let us know if you
want us to continue over producing, we can do that. We can make more three titles.
>> NI-LEWIS: We... >> GALPIN: We can use more effects. We can
use more green screen, we can--we can... >> NI-LEWIS: That's right, baby.
>> GALPIN: ...we can--we can have us on freaking Mars man. Now for the next--to the next show...
>> NI-LEWIS: That's right. >> GALPIN: ...it's up to you.
>> NI-LEWIS: I've got a green screen, a bonus burning, a whole in my pocket and a year's
subscription to Adobe CS6. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, better watch out.
>> GALPIN: Absolutely. Exactly man. After--we're going to use After Effects on your but so
let's just... >> Uh-oh, guys, I'll just put a lower thirds
for you guys. >> NI-LEWIS: Oh, no. You didn't [INDISTINCT]
rock on. >> GALPIN: He just do that, you know, he does
that to spike us. That's awesome. Thank you. We have lower thirds now, so yes, the title
is Witch wars and let me tap restart. >> NI-LEWIS: No, wait a second, Dan.
>> GALPIN: Because you'll see the witch is exempted at the beginning.
>> NI-LEWIS: Right, there's a witches, okay. >> GALPIN: And [MAKES SOUND]
>> NI-LEWIS: So excellent. And Dan, this game play it's really interesting to me. It seems
like... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...there's a bunch of things here.
>> GALPIN: They're talking. Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: That you need to match.
>> GALPIN: Yes. >> NI-LEWIS: How many do you need to match?
>> GALPIN: Three. >> NI-LEWIS: Three, really? Okay.
>>GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: That's interesting. And there's
like a grid of them and they're all different sorts of objects.
>> GALPIN: Yes, but I'm playing against another witch. You see?
>> NI-LEWIS: Okay. >> GALPIN: So, she's like--she's like kicking
my butt now because you're talking. >> NI-LEWIS: Well...
>> GALPIN: Wait, you're ruining my game. >> NI-LEWIS: So what you're saying is, I'm
talking so you're not getting any work done? >> GALPIN: Exactly. Hey, wait. I'm sending--I'm
sending a message here. >> NI-LEWIS: I'm just saying.
>> GALPIN: No, no. >> NI-LEWIS: I'm just saying. So anyway, yeah.
So, play it man. >> GALPIN: I'm restarting, okay. Oh, witches.
>> NI-LEWIS: Is it always the same witches? >> GALPIN: I don't know.
>> NI-LEWIS: Okay. And then the question is, yeah, why do did they have handcuffs?
>> GALPIN: Well yeah, that I didn't understand the handcuffs part. Is there--is there--so
let us know in the live stream, is there a some sort of witch thing of handcuffs that
we should be aware of that you know, that we--I understand like you know, that--the
star pentagram and stuff like that you know, that's--that kind of stuff like that, the
Star of David is kind of sort of witchy thing to some people. But yeah, come on, tell me
what this is what this is? I don't get the symbolism here. Maybe I'm trying to read too
much in this game. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, that is weird. There's
a Star of David. Shouldn't it be like a pentagram? >> GALPIN: It should be a pentagram, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: Is this like just all completely messed up?
>> GALPIN: It's possible. I just don't know. I honestly, I haven't had enough to drink
yet to get this game. So... >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, you are a little--do you
want to just take a break? >> Guys, I'm just going to jump in and read
you guys in one of the comments? >> GALPIN: Okay.
>> So this is from one of our long time viewers... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> ...FunnerGo he says, the last minute title card actually looks better and then the formerly
over produced title card. >> GALPIN: That's like--that's awesome. That
is not--we are--we are so, okay. Okay. Good to know. Good to know. I blame...
>> NI-LEWIS: No, he's got--he's a good point. >> GALPIN: I blame Keno for that actually.
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, I'll tell you what happen is we--yeah, we threw together that--that
thing in Keno and it looked good at the time and then, one of the reasons we don't have
it now, is because we got really sick of it and didn't like it at all. So...
>> GALPIN: You're with us actually. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, yeah. We're totally with
you. >> GALPIN: We're--when we actually have time
next week, maybe we'll do another one that's cooler.
>> NI-LEWIS: But you know, just so you know that's not a thrown together title card. That
is in original Roman of New York title card. For which, we paid vast sums.
>> GALPIN: Yeah, his salary. >> NI-LEWIS: Vast sums. All right. So, what
is this have that other match free games don't have? I think it's a question you will always
got to ask. >> GALPIN: It is--it is a battle element--oh,
she's crying. She lost, I totally won. Hey, new witch.
>> NI-LEWIS: So, it's got witches and a handcuffs and battles and spells. And it's actually
pretty cool like, honestly it's fun. Where there spells?
>> GALPIN: Yeah. We get spells by matching up certain skills you see and then you can
cast spells. Dude, level one explosion. >> NI-LEWIS: Oh, nice.
>> GALPIN: So, yeah. So, it is--I mean, honestly, it's fun. You know, if you like these kind
of games, there's ones that really have a lot more depth in terms of, like, progression,
like, you know, one of my favorite ones is called Atlantis that I actually played all
the way through. From players, they talked about it a few times on here.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: Because I like the fact that you
actually got to different cities and got to different challenges. And--but, this is fun
for what it is. It's sort of--it's sort of reminds me actually of the classic puzzle
fighter in the sense that you're sort of, you know, you're--you know, you're kind of
battling against someone else. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. That's what I was thinking,
you know... >> GALPIN: You know, but taking it to match
3 instead of--instead of to, you know... >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-huh.
>> GALPIN: Puzzle Bobble kind of thing. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. Yeah.
>> GALPIN: So, you know, I'd say cool. Nice Match up with game donors.
>> NI-LEWIS: That is cool. >> GALPIN: I always appreciate match ups.
As far as the graphics, we have really kind of low res backgrounds with high res icons.
If you actually look, you will get--I don't know if you can see this in live stream, but
if you actually can see, like, the versus, it's really kind of blurry and the backgrounds
are really blurry. But then the icons are beautiful, like...
>> NI-LEWIS: You got to ask yourself if... >> GALPIN: That's...
>> NI-LEWIS: ...they did that and the--and the [INDISTINCT] just decided, "Okay, this
background is too big, probably you'll notice if we just blur it out a little bit and make
it smaller. >> GALPIN: Yeah. You know, I--they--and I'm
sure they are trying to make the APK size small which I appreciated. I would say one
thing that was great about today, all these games installed in, like, four minutes. Like,
honestly, they were... >> NI-LEWIS: Wow.
>>GALPIN: ...they were all tiny games. >> NI-LEWIS: Unlike Bard's Tale.
>> GALPIN: Unlike Bard's Tale. Yeah. Last week and I was, like, installing Bard's tale...
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: ...which by the way is awesome.
Thank you inXile for doing that. That's like--it made my whole week the fact that we had Bard's
Tale on Android finally. But, yeah, it's freaking enormous and mostly because of the song about
beer, beer, beer, tiddly beer, beer. Oh, I got stunned.
>> NI-LEWIS: It is Tommy Tallarico, you don't cut out his songs.
>> GALPIN: No, you don't. You absolutely don't. And it's Kerry Ellis as the--as the narrator--not
as the narrator, as the--as the Bard. So, you know, you got to appreciate that.
>> NI-LEWIS: That's true. You know, the funny thing is I think the last time I played Bard's
Tale... >> GALPIN: Uh-huh.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...was actual Bard's Tale, like... >> GALPIN: Yeah. They--same here.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...when they came out... >> GALPIN: I miss the PS2 version...
>> NI-LEWIS: And what was the [INDISTINCT] it actually comes with that.
>> GALPIN: Yes. Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: And it's not nearly as good as
I remembered. All right. Yeah. >> GALPIN: When you're...
>> NI-LEWIS: Back then a 240x240 graphic in... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...like 16 colors, it really blew me away.
>> GALPIN: It was Awesome. Yeah. It's, like, how did they get so many colors on the screen,
man? >> NI-LEWIS: Right. Well, because I had a
VGA monitor which... >> GALPIN: Oh, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...you could put in the 256 color mode as long as you're willing to go down
to QVGA. >> GALPIN: So, one thing that's interesting
about this game is this game actually uses Com2uS's...
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, yeah. >> GALPIN: ...network back in the game.
>> NI-LEWIS: Dude, you've totally stepped on my reminiscing.
>> GALPIN: I know. I know. I know. >> NI-LEWIS: No. But you didn't even say anything.
You didn't say--you didn't say, like, "Oh, shut up, Ian. Let's talk about this." You
just like acted, like, I wasn't even talking. >> GALPIN: So, no. I mean, I totally--I totally
miss that. Actually, you know, one of my favorite thing was I had an original, like, you know,
CGA adaptor for my PC and most people didn't realize that if you actually hooked it up
to a composite monitor and you had the right games that could actually display 16 colors
at once. So, that's how the original... >> NI-LEWIS: What?
>> GALPIN: ...King's Quest worked. And it used the same methods in the Apple II.
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, oh, right, right, right. Because it--yeah, it does--it was like a--was
it scam line or was it block? >> GALPIN: It was block.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: So, the block pellet, right? >> GALPIN: Yeah. So, and basically you would--you
would--you have two lines, you put them right next to each other horizontally and then you
end up getting the color on... >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: ...composite because of the, you know, kind of affect--raster effect you got
from that. >> NI-LEWIS: Right.
>> GALPIN: Similar to what you got on apple II. So...
>> NI-LEWIS: Do you remember the Commodore 64 did that, but they didn't actually have
enough memory, so every pixel on it being twice as wide?
>> GALPIN: Yes. >> NI-LEWIS: All right. Back to Witch Wars.
>> GALPIN: Good days. >> NI-LEWIS: Witch Wars.
>> GALPIN: So, yeah, and so overall, you know, pretty good. I mean, my main--my main thing
is it like it pushes the Com2uS social network into, like, new levels of annoyance if you
don't want to actually use it. But the game--the game plays...
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, come one. >> GALPIN: No.
>> NI-LEWIS: It's not--I mean, what is it doing?
>> GALPIN: Well--okay. So, the first--let's see if I can actually replicate it. I might
have to clear the... >> NI-LEWIS: I mean--well, I just didn't--I
didn't see it come up or anything. >> GALPIN: Okay.
>> NI-LEWIS: They all take a really long time to load. I don't know why. It's like refining
swords and, like, "Dude, what--are you copying something to the--from the EPK file?" I mean,
this game is tiny. Like, I'm not sure what it's doing, delivering skill books...
>> NI-LEWIS: That is what it is. >>GALPIN: ...like is it caught in the network.
I just want to play. I want to get my witch action on and...
>> NI-LEWIS: Delivering handcuffs ordered from the shopping mall. I mean, seriously
there is... >> GALPIN: There is something...
>> NI-LEWIS: There is something up with [INDISTINCT] >> GALPIN: Yeah. I know. This game, I know.
>> NI-LEWIS: I don't--yeah. I don't know how to interpret this, but I don't think I want
to. >> GALPIN: So, then when it comes up actually,
I ended up getting--you end up getting the, you know, some sort of news. It looks like
it's actually being nice to me the second time. It's not actually forcing me into lots
and lots of stuff. >> NI-LEWIS: Okay.
>> GALPIN: Which is cool. >> NI-LEWIS: So, it gave you some ads up front.
>> GALPLIN: It get--well, not add--not just ads, like, kind of a general--okay, maybe
I signed--I don't know. >> NI-LEWIS: I'm sure these guys know what
they're doing. They make, you know, oodles and oodles of sales in--especially in Korea.
>> GALPIN: [INDISTINCT] I didn't--I like O-ker and--instructions.
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, yeah, they... >> GALPIN: I would--I would say they don't
quite know what they're doing. They're close. They're close.
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, it's just they don't--all right. But my personal theory is that they're--most
of their translation department is, like, nephews and...
>> GALPIN: Well, I'm just saying that, like, this is a--the word wrapping thing though
here. >> NI-LEWIS: Well, actually let me explain
it to you. >> GALPIN: Okay. Okay. All right.
>> NI-LEWIS: All right. You and I... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...wrap words on... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...syllables... >> GALPIN: That's because we wrap.
>> NI-LEWIS: Right. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: You know what this is? >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: This is how you do word wrapping Gangnam Style.
>> GALPIN: All right. Gangnam Style. All right. So, anyways, we'll quit. Let's go--let's go
to our next game. I figured that I have to look--we have to look at Happy Sheep.
>> NI-LEWIS: We have to look at Happy Sheep, but only because we want to know if anyone
on the live stream can explain this game to us.
>> GALPIN: The sheep are happy... >> NI-LEWIS: Well, they're very happy and
it's like--I mean, I think--I definitely got past the first level and I'm pretty sure I
knew how I got past the first level. I just... >> GALPIN: All right. Play button really close
to advertisement, clever. All right. So, your goal is to get the sheep into the barn, I
think, and you do that partially by flicking them, I think, but mostly by using the [INDISTINCT]
>> NI-LEWIS: You know what, flicking is not actually a part of it.
>> GALPIN: Oh, it is. >> NI-LEWIS: It is not a mechanic. It's--because
if you try to--wow. Because if you--if you really pay attention and just tapping them.
>> GALPIN: Oh. >> NI-LEWIS: I don't think it's actually requiring--well,
so basically you put the barn at the bottom of the screen and just let everything fall.
>> GALPIN: Yeah, I guess so. So, the sheep are happy. Mostly--you know, and that's good.
They have--they have one frame of animation on them which is, you know--which makes them
look happier. There's a dog. I'm not sure what the dog does except that--I guess it
blocks you from getting sheep in if it happens to be in the right place.
>> NI-LEWIS: That doesn't make sense. It seems like the dog should be helping you get the
sheep in. >> GALPIN: Totally. Totally. But, you know,
dogs don't--you know, you do--you do have sheep dogs that are, you know, that go with
sheep. Oh, we just lost HDMI because, you know, microHD my socks.
>> Yeah. It flickering. I don't [INDISTINCT] >> GALPIN: There we are. All right. But anyway,
so that's the game. You could see on the tablet, we're seeing some minor sprite alignment errors.
You can see the classic around the chickens. You can see there are little lines around
the chickens and a little line around the dog and this is pretty common if you're using
a sprite sheet and you're trying to break things up and run on the...
>> NI-LEWIS: Carefully, something... >> GALPIN: ...of higher resolution.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. All right. Stop playing that game, seriously.
>> GALPIN: Oh, yeah. What? Why? >> NI-LEWIS: Because you keep tilting it around
and it keeps popping out the connector. >> GALPIN: Oh, but I'm holding the connector
in now. >> NI-LEWIS: Well, you're not holding it right.
>> GALPIN: I'm not holding it right? >> NI-LEWIS: Put it on the table.
>> GALPIN: Damn it. >> NI-LEWIS: Just put it on--you know what,
you're cut off. Come one. Come on. Come on. >> I have a couple of great comments from
our viewers. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, please.
>> GALPIN: Oh, yeah, go for it. >> NI-LEWIS: Let's hear some viewer comments.
>> So, the first comment is that flicking your sheep causes blindness, I'm just saying.
>> NI-LEWIS: I have no idea... >> GALPIN: Good point--good point...
>> NI-LEWIS: ...what you're talking about. >> GALPIN: Yeah, exactly.
>> And the second comment is that someone wants to see us abuse the green screen in
horrible ways. >> GALPIN: Yeah. All right.
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, believe me, we have. >> GALPIN: We already have, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: We're already saving it for the outtakes video. But...
>> GALPIN: Dude. >> NI-LEWIS: ...I will say this about [INDISTINCT]
the sprite outlines that you saw... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...did not occur without the HDMI connector plugged in. So, this is something
that we're actually starting to learn is it's really, really important to go in and test
your game at really bizarre resolutions. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: Because sooner or later, no matter what resolution you think is never going to
in the real world... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...it's going to hit the streets of Shenzhen at half the price of everything
else. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: And Samsung is going to snap up a bullet load of them.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. You know, it's--I mean, people are--I'm always amazed on what we're getting
in terms of screens. I mean, even in terms of last year when, you know, I was kind of
amazed that we actually had a device which--we're shipping out on a phone form factor with 720p,
that was last year. >> NI-LEWIS: Oh, yeah.
>> GALPIN: Who knows... >> NI-LEWIS: And God only knows what's going
to happen... >> GALPIN: Yeah, exactly, what's going to
happen this year, so... >> NI-LEWIS: But, it's not just that.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: It's that you think--you think,
"Oh, 720p, that's pretty crazy." >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: But what's really crazy is 735p... >> GALPIN: Well, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...or... >> GALPIN: Which is actually that we were
because... >> NI-LEWIS: Exactly.
>> GALPIN: ...when you--when you--we're actually--we're actually at--on this device, we're actually
running at true 720p when you're in HDMI. But you're not on HDMI, we're in this kind
of weird funky thing where we're actually... >> NI-LEWIS: Right.
>> GALPIN: ...you know, 35 or 40 pixels short of that I think. So...
>> NI-LEWIS: Exactly. And so--yeah. >> GALPIN: Or longer than that.
>> NI-LEWIS: That can--that can mess up some sprite sheet calculations, I think.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. Absolutely. So, anyway, it was interesting. Also, the thing that it's
interesting when you plug the HDMI and you actually--you actually get one of those rare
things where it actually gets your--tells your app to change the size. And so your app
needs not to respond to that. We actually had one app earlier that had a giant purple
or green fringe on it and that actually was because, oh, we just never realize that the
size change could come in as late as it did. >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: So, you do have--you do have to watch out for that.
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, you change--you can come in any time.
>> GALPIN: You're going to come in any time, you got to be ready for it.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yup. >> GALPIN: So...
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. I mean, we've said it before and we'll say it again. Programming Android
is not like programming a game console. It's like programming a desktop or a web browser.
You have to be ready for hardware to be different. << GALPIN: Oh, so when you select hard difficulty,
you have chickens who are blocking your way now too. I hadn't noticed that.
>> NI-LEWIS: All right. So, that was fun, but tell us what you have been doing this
week, Dan. >> GALPIN: Other than flicking my sheep?
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: Okay. So, what other games we have
going on? We actually have Words Workout which is fun. It's yet another in a long line of
words games, but it's done very, very well. I would say that the excessive use of rounded
rectangles is a little unnecessary in Android. But there's some good words here like pleat.
Ouch. And you are, you know, it's a time game so, uh, oh, well. So, yeah, we now--we get
to learn how good I am with these games. Anyways, so it's a fun game. We were trying to draw
things in a sort of a boggle-esque fashion. There's a lot of power ups, a lot of really
well-thought out stuff. I thought it was a really fun game. On a tablet, it works great,
you know, because it just scales to fill the screen. The only thing on the tablet is the--obviously
you can see the area with the ad is kind of awkward looking and takes a very small portion
of that top there so... >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: ...probably could just adjust for that.
>> NI-LEWIS: Especially games like this. There's really not much of an excuse for not trying
it on the emulator. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: And just try some different sizes. It's a little bit of a pain because honestly,
it--we don't switch as fast as we could... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...between different sizes and different lay-outs...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS...on the emulator, on the dev
tools, but it's well worth it. And it turns out that for games nowadays--I mean, I think
we used to see some really bizarre things. >> GALPIN: Yeah, absolutely.
>> NI-LEWIS: And we still do on some devices. But as we're, you know, for instances, as
we're looking at devices that haven't shipped yet which we sometimes do, there can be some
crazy stuff. But... >> GALPIN: Yeah. Well, you know, it's interesting.
We, you know, we sometimes do it to ourselves. And, you know, I think one of the things we're
going to cover in future sessions are--is ways in which we--you have to be careful,
you know. >> NI-LEWIS: Right.
>> GALPIN: And so, sometimes people make assumptions about the way the memory in devices are laid
out. Sometimes there are actually some bugs in [INDISTINCT] it turns out that were affecting
the way that one could subclass various classes that people we're accidentally taking advantage
of. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, that's actually one thing
you'll notice is that the original Android source base, you know, was obviously not a
hundred percent perfect and there were a few things that either were underspecified or
were just done wrong that tend to get cleaned up over time by AOSP contributors.
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: So, for instance...
>> GALPIN: And by us, and by us, yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: And by us. So, for instance we
made--for Jelly Bean we made pthread POSIX compliant. It was supposed to return an error...
>> GALPIN: Yes. >> NI-LEWIS: ...if it couldn't give you the
thread you wanted, you know, with the scheduling... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...that you wanted. And it used to just fall back and, you know, still create
a thread, but it wasn't what you asked for. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: And we made it do the right thing, which was to return an error and that broke
everybody. >> GALPIN: Everything.
>> NI-LEWIS: Because it turns out nobody was--why would you check for errors on pthread because
it never [INDISTINCT] >> GALPIN: Yeah, exactly.
>> NI-LEWIS: So, we had ton of games and other apps that would spin up threads and then sit
there waiting like, "Hey, all right, just waiting for that thread to spin up."
>> GALPIN: Waiting for the thread to spin up.
>> Ni-LEWIS: And--exactly. >> GALPIN: And, yeah. And nothing would happen.
So--yeah. So, you have to be--you should be a little bit cautious.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: Sometimes reading our docs actually
is a good thing. >> NI-LEWIS: And also just, you know, adhering
to standards even when it doesn't break you. You know, the other thing that happened I
believe is the Ice Cream Sandwich timeframe... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...was we tightened up the JNI referencing restrictions.
>> GALPIN: Oh, we've done that several times. >> NI-LEWIS: Because we, you know, and this
is usually to make things faster. >> GALPIN: Well, some of the things that happened,
you know, when we add a single threaded, you know, everywhere.
>> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm. >> GALPIN: There are kind of two things we
did at once. We went multi CPU. >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: And at the same time we also tightened up JNI and I think they sort of went hand
in hand. But for a long time, we weren't cleaning up JNI very effectively. So, you could pretty
much guarantee that if you reference something from the JVM, that reference would always
exist in JNI as long as it existed in the JVM.
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, basically what we were doing is...
>> GALPIN: Or [INDISTINCT] let's be clear. >> NI-LEWIS: ...the "opaque candles" that
were getting passed back were just references to memory...
>> GALPIN: To chunks of memory and then... >> NI-LEWIS: ...and then the address is the
one changing. >> GALPIN: ...and now--and then we switch
to actually passing opaque candles [INDISTINCT] >> NI-LEWIS: Right.
>> GALPIN: That were actually candles. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, because at some point we
realize we, you know, we're not going to make this GC any faster...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...unless we start rearranging
memory, so. >> GALPIN: Exactly. So, one of the--of the
things everyone should do in addition to using CheckJNIs is to also build against the latest
versions of the NDK and build against the latest versions of the SDK. Be very, very
careful especially with native tools especially if you're using any pre-built libraries because
that... >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: ...you know, you don't know how those pre-built libraries were compiled. Maybe
they were compiled with an older version of the NDK, maybe they're complied with the [INDISTINCT]
flag. So, in general, I, you know, especially with binary libraries, be very, very cautious.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, this is--the reason we're talking about this is because recently it's
become very obvious to us that as we do more address layouts--address space layouts randomization
and just screw with the address space in different ways...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...old code that was compiled
with very old NDK is not re-locatable in the same way that the newer code is and this also
goes for code that may have been compiled with a different toolchain.
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: So, if you're using some other
random toolchain to generate Android code, be aware that we only test against the NDK.
>> GALPIN: Yeah, so, definitely, you know, all you guys out there I know there's a bunch
of other, you know, a lot--a lot--for a long time Chris Axe was like doing sorts of cool
stuff that we, you know, later introduced into the NDK. So, you can definitely run into
problems there. So, just be very, very cautious that you're always using the latest version
of our tools because that's going to guarantee the longest forward compatibility that we
can. >> NI-LEWIS: Yup. All right.
>> GALPIN: All right. So, anyways it's a cool game. I--you know, I really don't have much
to say about it other than they really need to make this dialogue dismissible with the
back key as a general rule. >> NI-LEWIS: There's not [INDISTINCT] all
right. >> GALPIN: Zombie.
>> NI-LEWIS: That bad. >> GALPIN: Back key must work.
>> NI-LEWIS: That's an x for us, dude. >> GALPIN: Oh, sorry.
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, dude, you should be Frankenstein. >> GALPIN: Oh.
>> NI-LEWIS: You should be hipster Frankenstein. >> GALPIN: Hipster Frank--with the beard?
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, exactly. >> GALPIN: Yeah, exactly. I should keep the
beard just so I can be--I can have--I can have--I have sunglasses [INDISTINCT] your
tablet is not cool as mine because yours is shiny and silver and mine is blackish colored.
>> NI-LEWIS: This is--that's--it's purple. >> GALPIN: Purple, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: Or actually that's--it's amethyst. >> GALPIN: It is amethyst.
>> NI-LEWIS: And this one isn't silver. Don't fool yourself. It's champagne.
>> GALPIN: It is actually. That is the color they call it.
>> NI-LEWIS: You know why? >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: Because we're the Sex and the City girls basically.
>> GALPIN: Absolutely. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: That's why we got this hat. It's all about accessorizing. All right. So, let's
look--let's look at a game that actually--unlike Words Workout, it's somewhat actually--oh,
my god that's small. You can bring up the tablet now, Mr. Fanster. And, yeah, there
we are. This is actually a portrait. Yeah, I know. Look at that. That is high production
values right there. Now, you'll notice--this is one of those times in which actually looking
at screen size is useful because by default this is of course an nDPI device, so you're
getting very small text and very small icons. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> Yeah, Which game is this, guys? >> GALPIN: This is Math Twister.
>> NI-LEWIS: Math Twister. >> GALPIN: M-A--now, you can tell it's not
from the US because it's got math in it and no one in the US would actually call it Math.
It would definitely be a--something coming from somewhere else, you know, usually with
some k in it or something like that, maybe Australia. I'm not sure. I didn't look for
this [INDISTINCT] but clearly not from here. >> Ni-LEWIS: Did you know in Australia...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...they call soccer, soccer?
>> GALPIN: What? As you know, originally the term soccer came from the UK. And we are not
that--and we--and we just kept using it and they said, Stop, we're calling it football."
>> NI-LEWIS: I love this because... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...it's like we can make a 600 mile journey across England in just a few
sentences. >> GALPIN: That's right. It all depends on
what app are we talking of the--wait, hold on, hold on, wait. I got one more--no, I've
got--no, sorry. I can't... >> NI-LEWIS: Come on. Give me a [INDISTINCT]
and [INDISTINCT] >> GALPIN: No, no, don't say that at all.
It's nothing like it. That sounds bad as the... >> NI-LEWIS: That's the dude that tried to
sound like Ringo in the Old Submarine. >> GALPIN: That is so absolutely true. Well,
you know, the funny thing about The Beatles too is that they actually were coached to
sound like that because they came on--I don't want to talk like this. What are you talking
about?" Like no Americans could understand you. You need to slow the way down.
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, really? Like what's his name in that one movie?
>> GALPIN: Yes, exactly. So, they said no. They were--they taught them. They actually
said, "You've got to slow down the way you speak." Like, "All right. Well, we'll speak
like this then. And then yeah, we'll sound like we're always on something."
>> I think you mean Brad Pitt from Snatch. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: Yes. >> NI-LEWIS: Exactly.
>> GALPIN: Exactly. >> NI-LEWIS: What? You didn't know that? Because
that's what I was talking about. Dan got it. >> GALPIN: All right. That's enough about
us. Let's get on to Math Twister. So, you know, I'll go with a bit more of a refined
accent for this. Math Twister is a highly educational game. We can choose untimed and
different levels of difficulty which will throw math problems at us. You know what is
10% of 80? Or two times seven? Or six times nine? Or 10% of 70? And they get kind of fun.
I have no... >> NI-LEWIS: And you're now George Harrison's
butler. >> GALPIN: That's right, something like that.
Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: By the way, I just want to--I
just want to pause for a second to recognize our new producer, Producer Louis who...
>> GALPIN: Louis. >> NI-LEWIS: ...is not might.
>> GALPIN: No, he's not. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. Sorry.
>> GALPIN: So, he's... >> NI-LEWIS: Louis, I'm sorry.
>> GALPIN: ...he's the silent producer. >> NI-LEWIS: So, Producer Louis named as Louis
but he spells it Louis which really bugs me because my last name is Lewis and I spell
it Lewis. He's not on camera today because he's phenomenal handsomeness...
>> But he could be. >> NI-LEWIS: ...would...
>> NO, no, no. >> NI-LEWIS: ...would cause all of us to look
hideous in comparison. >> Now, Lewis, the way you spell it...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> ...is the American fashion.
>> GALPIN: That's true. >> The Louis I spell it is the French way
and the original. >> GALPIN: I see. That's true.
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, like King Louis? >> Yes. All 15, 16 or 20 of them. Yes.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: That is [INDISTINCT] something
like that. >> NI-LEWIS: And did they ask...
>> GALPIN: So are... >> NI-LEWIS: ...you to pronounce it Louis...
>> GALPIN: Are you saying... >> NI-LEWIS: ...like some American dude?
>> GALPIN: ...you're French Loyalty then? >> Not anymore than you are Scottish.
>> GALPIN: That's right. I'm not Scottish. >> NI-LEWIS: You're crap.
>> GALPIN: That's right. >> NI-LEWIS: All right. Let's go.
>> GALPIN: All right. This is--anyway, it's kind of cool. It sort of combines falling
tower action with math. You know, definitely in terms of tablet, there's a little bit of
work to be done, you know, it's--and I was actually a little surprised to see this game
was a landscape game. It actually starts off in portrait and it goes to landscape. In general,
if you're going to lock to one dimension, you should kind of lock to one dimension,
you know, whether--if you're going to have a tile screen that's in landscape, then your
game should be in landscape [INDISTINCT] >> NI-LEWIS: Oh, yeah. You never want to make
the user actually... >> GALPIN: You have to rotate the device.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...rotate the tablet. >> GALPIN: Yes. So...
>> NI-LEWIS: Unless--well, unless you're just trying to get obese children to exercise or
try to stand. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: You know, I wish somebody had done that for me when I was young.
>> GALPIN: So, maybe that's why they called it Maths Twister and it occurred because you
have twist the tablet. >> NI-LEWIS: Oh, that's a good point.
>> GALPIN: Yeah, yeah, exactly. >> NI-LEWIS: I had just assumed that it was,
you know, what Mormons do for flirting. >> GALPIN: You have to...
>> NI-LEWIS: You know, it's funny because... >> GALPIN: ...explain that offline.
>> NI-LEWIS: It's funny because I actually--I was visiting some friends, some, you know,
they went to school in Brigham Young University. >> GALPIN: Uh-huh.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, they brought out this video and [INDISTINCT] wasn't the sexiest game of
twister you've ever seen with... >> GALPIN: Oh, yeah, so that...
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: Well, that being twisters--I would
say it's beyond flirting there. That's--twister is sort of in the heavy, heavy, heavy, petting
already when you get to like that. >> NI-LEWIS: Exactly, right?
>> GALPIN: Yeah, totally. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, totally.
>> GALPIN: It's crazy. Yes, drunken, not drunken. Completely sober, party twister at BYU. All
right. >> NI-LEWIS: All right. Let's do it.
>> GALPIN: You know, all these things I never knew about. All right. So that's Maths Twister.
You would definitely--I think the biggest issues that I have are tablet optimization
in terms of that. I think, true, the game is fine on the phone. We play it all on a
tablet. Why? Because this has cool HDMI and it's running Jelly Bean. Thank you. All right.
So, one more game which is also portrait. It is Jungle Jumper and no, there's nothing
sexual about this game, just in case you're curious. There's no theme here. So...
>> NI-LEWIS: We weren't initially thinking about that. But now, I can't unhear it.
>> GALPIN: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. To all our viewers out there, forget about...
>> NI-LEWIS: So, the thing I love about Jungle Jumper is this like Stuart Little title screen
they've got. It's like--it's seriously... >> GALPIN: You're a rat.
>> NI-LEWIS: But you know what, it's not Stuart Little. I don't--it's just this--I don't know
if you've ever heard of this, but Abel's Island. >> GALPIN: Oh, okay.
>> NI-LEWIS: Do you know what I'm talking about? It was like a Newbery Award Winner.
>> GALPIN: You can actually jump off the side. I've never done that before. I didn't realize
you could die jumping off--yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: I mean, seriously, did you read
Abel's Island? >> GALPIN: No, I didn't actually. I didn't.
>> NI-LEWIS: Okay. All right. Well, in that case, we can't share a moment.
>> GALPIN: I like the fact of the... >> NI-LEWIS: Just believe me, the Abel's Island
guy looked exactly like the Jungle Jumper guy.
>> GALPIN: Okay. But I do like the fact that you actually get nicely and soundly eaten
by these guys when you jump on them. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. They got some good animations.
I mean, obviously, it wasn't made for a tablet in the sense that the background graphics
are a little fuzzy at this resolution. That's always a little bit disappointing especially
when you can see that, you know, they're pretty much Vector graphics, so they probably could
have been... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...rescaled and not too much expense, but....
>> GALPIN: Yeah. I mean, this game is designed to be small.
>> NI_LEWIS: You can do this thing. >> GALPIN: I would love to see it have a little
more animation than it does, you know. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: It's like... >> NI-LEWIS: Well, and to tell the truth,
I mean, this is sort of like [INDISTINCT] where it's...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...actually not as fun on a tablet
because it's meant to have a smaller place. >> GALPIN: I--honestly, I do love [INDISTINCT]
on a tablet though. >> NI-LEWIS: I like--well, on a phone though,
it's so much easier. >> GALPIN: It is easy. I ran into his butt.
There we are. >> NI-LEWIS: Really? He ate you?
>> GALPIN: I was--I was--no, I didn't eat--he didn't eat me. I was just butt killed. So...
>> NI-LEWIS: That's disturbing. >> GALPIN: I know.
>> NI-LEWIS: All right. So, let's see. What else coming up? Well, next week, I think,
either next week or the week after you should see the ceremonial unkegging of our Android
fifth anniversary ale. >> GALPIN: Very exciting. I was...
>> NI-LEWIS: Exactly. >> GALPIN: The whole team has been looking
forward to this. >> NI-LEWIS: It's a--what is it?
>> GALPIN: Yeah, he hasn't eaten you at all. Yeah, sorry, go on.
>> NI-LEWIS: They've blended two malts and three hops. I can't remember off the top of
my head, but they are--but I hear it was the inaugural outing of our new brewery and I
understand it ended up a little hoppier than we wanted to. Yeah.
>> GALPIN: Interesting. All right. >> NI-LEWIS: Just a little accident with the
hops, but that's all right... >> GALPIN: So, we made--we made more of an
IPA? >> NI-LEWIS: ...because we like the hops.
>> That is the California thing guys. That's very fitting.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, hops. >> GALPIN: It is.
>> NI-LEWIS: Hops, yeah, pretty much. It's because probably it make you fat.
>> You know, that wasn't an accident. I actually did that by design behind the scenes.
>> GALPIN: I see. Spiked it with extra hop. >> NI-LEWIS: So, Daniel Feemster.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: Ruined the fifth anniversary
ale. >> In your words ruined.
>> GALPIN: Yes. >> Not my words.
>> GALPIN: He made our fifth anniversary into a bitter drink to swallow.
>> NI-LEWIS: Did you do that with our--with our code too? Just like sneak in at night
and... >> GALPIN: Yes.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...do some ninja chickens? >> GALPIN: That's right.
>> I can't neither confirm nor deny that. >> NI-LEWIS: Got you.
>> GALPIN: Here we have Daniel Fem ninja chicken master.
>> NI-LEWIS: I totally believe that. >> GALPIN: I do, absolutely.
>> NI-LEWIS: Every now and then you just find a rogue feature and then...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. It's like how did that get that ninjas?
>> NI-LEWIS: Yes. >> GALPIN: That's what happens, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: It's totally ninjas. >> GALPIN: Yeah. Wi-fi direct, that was a
total ninja feature. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: It really was.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: Yup. Media code [INDISTINCT]
code. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. >> GALPIN: The total ninja feature. All right.
>> NI-LEWIS: All right. >> GALPIN: So, yes, continue to get on the
moderator. We actually do look at your suggestions and the best of these games we do present
over to our buddies over at the Google Play team and say, "Please, take a look at them."
They may or may not feature them. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: Like... >> NI-LEWIS: And not only that, but we actually--we
are working on some collections of our very own.
>> GALPIN: Yes. >> NI-LEWIS: We're...
>> GALPIN: Yeah, we're very excited about that. We've seen that collections actually
are fun people who like them. I was really excited to see the retro gaming collection
which--you know, we talk a lot about retro game tiles here and we--said, "We really wanted
to see some really cool..." >> NI-LEWIS: Well, really want to do a collection
because we're like, "Well, you can't put a retro game on the front page of Google Play."
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: Because a lot of people aren't
going to understand. >> GALPIN: What the heck is this, man?
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. It's going to blow their mind, you know.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: We're not part of their system.
>> GALPIN: Yeah, exactly, you know, like 8-bit audio and low res graphic.
>> NI-LEWIS: Exactly. But... >> GALPIN: But for people who want it...
>> NI-LEWIS: Great. >> GALPIN: ...it's awesome.
>> NI-LEWIS: I collect it up, yeah, absolutely. >> GALPIN: I'm like, "Oh, yes, I'm saving
my childhood right here." >> NI-LEWIS: I'm totally--yeah.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. Back when I didn't read Abel's Odyssey.
>> NI-LEWIS: That's okay because you had a childhood with 8-bit graphics. I used to dream
of 8-bit graphics. >> GALPIN: Yeah. I remember when I was a child,
I used live in a shoebox. >> NI-LEWIS: With a lid?
>> GALPIN: Yeah. You're inside a lid, lucky man.
>> NI-LEWIS: All right. We're punchy. >> GALPIN: Yeah, indeed.
>> NI-LEWIS: We talk about our games, talked about some game development. We are going
to be shifting this. The show, right, time wise?
>> GALPIN: Maybe. I don't know. We might be. Watch.
>> NI-LEWIS: Big change is coming up. >> GALPIN: Big chage.
>> NI-LEWIS: We will announce it on Google Plus.
>> GALPIN: Yes. >> NI-LEWIS: But basically, we just have to
get through this month and then we have not--well, you know.
>> GALPIN: Well, drink some more. Drink some more.
>> NI-LEWIS: Right. We get through this month and we are going to change things up. So,
keep an eye on us and keep the comments coming. Now, let's see what people are saying on the
comment stream. God, you guys suck so bad. >> We actually--we actually had typical....
>> GALPIN: [INDISTINCT] that needs more specifics. >> ...Youtube comments.
>> NI-LEWIS: Really? Are there people being like...
>> Okay. So, here is a question about the Transformer Prime. Is the Transformer the
best Android tablet or do you guys just use it because [INDISTINCT]
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, the Transformer has some advantages. It is not--definitely not a bad
Android tablet. I don't know I'd go so far to say it's the best. For--as far as things
that are shipping now that we can get our hands on and reliably get several backup units,
it is the very best at providing HDMI out. It's got really good HDMI out options.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: Asus added some things to the
base Android system that allow it to do things like rotate in a portrait mode. So, that makes
our show a lot easier. >> GALPIN: Yeah. That's--I mean, that's the
primary reason we're using it on the show. We have them and they have this really cool
feature. You know, we don't have HDMI on our tablet sad to say, you know, on the Nexus
7. So, if we had an Nexus 7. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: I mean, a Nexus tablet HDMI, we might use it.
>> NI-LEWIS: I mean, if you think about it, the Nexus 7 in a lot of ways is a stripped
down Transformer Prime. >> GALPIN: In a lot of ways. Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: It's, you know, it's got the--essentially, the same processing power, but a smaller screen,
no rear camera, you know... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...all the options are taken off.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: So fortunately we have a lot
of experience with that chipset and that piece of hardware, so...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...it's a lot easier to show.
Now, there are some disadvantages to the Transformer Prime. It's--out of all of the--it's sort
of the odd man out on rendering. >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: Unlike almost all mobile chips, it's not a tile renderer; it's forward renderer.
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: And that means that it's very,
very sensitive to performance characteristics that the tiler can handle very easily and
vice versa. >> GALPIN: Yeah, so, like, you know, for example,
you know, there's just three different renderers essentially on Android. We have tile-based,
deferred tile-based and we have immediate mode or direct rendering [INDISTINCT] on this.
And this tablet is--this chipset is really cool if you need to do some really clever
effects that involve reading stuff back out of the buffer, because the buffer is updated
in the, you know, in these thing. The screen is updated in real time. It was actually really
fast to go and read stuff out. With the tile-based renderer or deferred renderer, it means that
it has to reconstruct that piece of the buffer when you want in the middle of rendering and
that can slow you down in immense amount. So there are certain kinds of full screen
effects that this kind of chipset can do that are very difficult to do on a tile-based renderer.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, it's--you know, when you think about the way the hardware is put together,
it's not so much as tile-based renderer is bad at it...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...it's that--it's significantly
better at not doing that and it... >> GALPIN: Yeah, that...
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, so... >> GALPIN: There we go.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...so in other words, you're not--you're not actually doing something that...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS:...that the hardware is bad at,
it's just that it has to... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...forgo a whole set of optimizations [INDISTINCT]
>> GALPIN: Right. And it promise this, you know, this hardware is designed to do work
the other way and so, what this--so the tile-based renderers tend to actually have performance
problems when you start having to force them in the sort of direct mode rendering because
they just... >> NI-LEWIS: Right.
>> GALPIN: ...weren't designed to work that way.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. On the other hand, tile-based renderers excel at some things, you know,
for instance if you're doing rebacks from a frame for blending, they're--they can be
very, very fast. >>GALPIN: Absolutely, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: Many tile-based renderers, especially the ones that are fully deferred and have
geometry sorting, are incredible at dealing with completely unsorted geometry...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...which is a real benefit because...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...sorting geometry is, A, not
actually a tractable problem. >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: You can--you can get close, but it's sort of a traveling salesman thing and
so... >> GALPIN: Absolutely.
>> NI-LEWIS: But also, it takes up a lot of CPU resources, so...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. Now, that being said, a lot of other drivers for tile-based renderers
also do some of that sorting... >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: ...inventing on the CPU drivers. So there is--there is additional CPU load
already in a tile-based renderer just kind of to begin with and it...
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, I mean, it's always a... >> GALPIN: And it...
>> NI-LEWIS: ...cooperation between the CPU and the...
>> GALPIN: ...and then--yeah... >> NI-LEWIS: ...GPU, yeah.
>> GALPIN: And then the magic sauce really isn't, you know, the big the trace how much
is done where? It's, you know, it's kind of... >> NI-LEWIS: Right.
>> GALPIN: ...and exactly, you know, how... >> NI-LEWIS: That's very true.
>> GALPIN: It's like that, you know, but basically--but, yeah, so in theory also--in theory is that
and this isn't really proven, but that the immediate mode guys would say when you get
into a really, really huge amount of geometry when you start doing things like having procedural
geometry basically. >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: That you start running into things that immediate mode renderers do better than
tile-based renderers. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: And I think the jury is still out. We'll have to wait to see what happens with
the--with... >> NI-LEWIS: Well, nobody's going to do that,
right? Not more effective... >> GALPIN: Well, okay, okay.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...I'd be really surprised. >> GALPIN: OpenGeo is starting to add this
kinds of features in, so I think--you know, I think we'll have to look, you know, five
years down the line, we're going to definitely have APIs and chips that'll support, you know,
doing that kind of geometry. >> NI-LEWIS: Well, but the thing is it's not--it's
not so much that... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...the sheer amount of geometry. It's--the same reason that sorting is a different
problem. >> GALPIN: Yeah, you know, you're right.
>> NI-LEWIS: But, you know, on a tiler, you're really dealing with just a very large number
of frustra basically. >> GALPIN: Yes.
>> NI-LEWIS: So, you've already pre-clipped a lot of your trial, so the chances of getting
interpenetration... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...is very low. Now, at the point where we are sitting...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...as application developers...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...when we say sort your geometry,
we're not actually thinking about sorting your trials. We're usually thinking about
sorting it on the object level, right? >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: Because we'll draw entire BBOs at a time.
>> GALPIN: Exactly, and that's... >> NI-LEWIS: So, that's actually...
>> GALPIN: ...and that's... >> NI-LEWIS: That's a difficult problem because
you get these interpenetrating things. >> GALPIN: Absolutely. And that's actually
a big challenge. It's a challenge anyways, because you also have certain geometry that
is translucent. >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: And so you actually have to maintain that in proper, you know, front to back order...
>> NI-LEWIS: Right. >> GALPIN: ...while you actually want to maintain
all of your geometry that isn't translucent in back to front order and so...
>> NI-LEWIS: I... >> GALPIN: ...you have to--you have to watch
out for all those interdependencies as well. So this is...
>> NI-LEWIS: But it's not like it's, you know, I mean, this isn't a secret to anybody because...
>> GALPIN: No. >> NI-LEWIS: ...desktop cards have been doing
this for a long, long time. It's really... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...only on the mobile space that tilers are super popular.
>> GALPIN: Absolutely. >> NI-LEWIS: But a lot of it is because--as
you're saying, you know, with deferred renderers--I'm sorry, with medium renderers, you get more
predictable performance... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...it's easier to reason about what the GPU is doing.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >>.NI-LEWIS: It's easier to do multi-pass
effect, but--and it's easier to take advantage of these, you know, super long shaders that
you got too. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: But it doesn't mean that when you're in much more resource constrained environment...
>>GALPIN: Yeah, it's... >> NI-LEWIS: ...they don't shine.
>> GALPIN: They don't shine, exactly. And so--and I think that--so it is interesting.
So one of the thing--one of the thing that's nice about this is, one, you see that most
of the games are really well on it. I mean, honestly...
>> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm. >> GALPIN: ...you know, the vast majority
of games on Android do great on the Transformer Prime and it's really exciting also for us--the
other thing that's about Transformer Prime is they did get Jelly Bean and it's really,
really nice. Like the difference in smoothness when this guy went into Jelly Bean was huge,
because it felt fast to begin with. But as soon as we...
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, I never had a real problem with it. But--yeah, when...
>> GALPIN: But when you see Jelly Bean on this...
>> NI-LEWIS: It's the same way... >> GALPIN: ...it's like...
>> NI-LEWIS: ...like my Galaxy Nexus when I upgraded it to Jelly Bean, I'm like, wow.
I feel like I just got a new phone. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: And it's because the--you know, we did a lot of work which we're actually
really hoping to bring to you... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...over the next few months. It just talks about how you can dejunk your
applications the same way we dejunk the operating system. Mostly because all the guys did the
dejunking... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...sit, like, two cubes away from us and...
>> GALPIN: And then they're like, "When are you going to do this online, dude?"
>> NI-LEWIS: They actually hate us and they are like, "God, would you go away?" But...
>> GALPIN: Yeah, we bugged them all the time. >> NI-LEWIS: ...we have listening devices.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah. And when we say, bugged
them... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...we mean actually microphones in their office.
>> GALPIN: So, we... >> NI-LEWIS: We get all their secrets...
>> GALPIN: The important thing is we added this too...
>> NI-LEWIS: ...nothing is safe. >> GALPIN: ...called Systrays.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yup. >> GALPIN: And Systrays is really, really
awesome. So, I'll show an example. So on one GPU, we could actually look at Systrays since
they are--the GPU is rendering here and the thread went to sleep for this period of time...
>> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm. >> GALPIN: ...and then the GPU was rendering
here. Why did the thread go to sleep? Well, the thread went to sleep because that point
we didn't read back from the GPU. >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: And we could say--and that was that the entire chunk of time which we could
actually measure and you can see that in Systrays. It was actually...
>> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm, exactly. >> GALPIN: ...the GPU going, "Hey, well, I'm
going to do a bunch of calculation now. This sucks." So...
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, now, remember of course that there's two components to any read back,
right? There is the--there is the fact that you're, you know, you have to stall out the
GPU writing side. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: But you also have to make sure that the resource isn't in use on either side.
So it's... >> GALPIN: Yes, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: So, it's not just--sorry. So, you need to collect the tiles...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...and do all and, you know,
collapse your deferred renderer. >> GALPIN: Yes.
>> NI-LEWIS: And you also need to do a synchronization between the CPU and GPU and that's what really
kills you. And one thing that we've noticed with video is that no matter how fast you
are or how good you... >> GALPIN: That's why cache coherent CPUs
and GPUs are iconic kickass... >> NI-LEWIS: No, no...
>> GALPIN: Okay. >> NI-LEWIS: ...because here's the problem...
>> GALPIN: Yeah, yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...it's not actually--it's not
actually a synchronization problem, it's more a sequencing problem...
>> GALPIN: I know. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: I was just kidding. >> NI-LEWIS: That is--yeah, your point. But
anyway, the problem is--or the solution I should say...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...is that you just never want
to have the GPU and CPU holding on to the same resource at once.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: And so--and, you know, if you're
working on a desktop part, you already know how this works because you have to deal with
PCI Synchronization... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...and the solution is staging buffers. So, you don't do a read back into
a texture and then immediately use it. You do a read back...
>> GALPIN: Yeah, exactly. >> NI-LEWIS: ...this frame while you're reading
the read back that you did three frames ago. >> GALPIN: Yeah, it's actually point--one
of the things people do actually for reflection... >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: ...is that you actually don't calculate a reflection every frame...
>> NI-LEWIS: Right. >> GALPIN: ...but you use, you know, every
other frame, you know, maybe every two frames, you know, depending on how much you're allowed.
All right, well, now let's calculate reflection and we'll apply that and that's from two frames
ago, but that's okay. >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: Because actually the user can't really tell because on top of some other wavy
meshy thing and... >> NI-LEWIS: Right, right.
>> GALPIN: And... >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, and a lot of it depends
of course on who is doing the read back. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: I mean, because the problem is that the GPU is considered to be a user of
that texture from the point that a draw call involving it had submitted to the...
>> GALPIN: uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...point where it retires.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: So, that's actually a huge length
of time that the GPU is not in fact using the texture.
>> GALPIN: Absolutely. >> NI-LEWIS: And in fact most of these GPUs
are executing completely serially. >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: So, for instance it's no problem for the GPU to read back a texture as long
as it's not actually writing to it right now. >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: But having the CPU read it back or if you need to do any kind of processing
that involves the CPU which as you noted before... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...you don't really know because a lot of this--the magic happens in the driver.
>> GALPIN: Inside the driver. >> NI-LEWIS: And each one of these...
>> GALPIN: Yeah, absolutely. >> NI-LEWIS: ...chips is not just a self contained
magical graphics... >> GALPIN: Not at all, no.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...producing unit. It's part of an ecosystem of software that lives in
multiple places. >> GALPIN: And--yeah. So, it's interesting.
And then sometimes you actually--for some of these effects, you actually can do them
entirely on the CPU, you know, like some of the guys...
>> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm. >> GALPIN: ...some of the guys, you just fake
it out. You're like, "All right, I know I've got a problem with this geometry. Let's calculate
it on the CPU. Let's not even get the GPU involved and we'll..."
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, sometimes that's your best choice, right?
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: Because--especially if you've
got things where you got a lot of recursion and you...
>> GALPIN: [INDISTINCT] Oh, yeah, recursion, yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: Or... >> GALPIN: What was that?
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, yeah, yeah, feedback, right? >> GALPIN: So, feedback.
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, so let's say you're doing an IRR filter...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...which depends on feeding back
the results of previous calculations. >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, that's incredibly difficult for a GPU to do well because...
>> GALPIN: Uh-hmm. >> NI-LEWIS: ...unless you're doing entire
frame... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...buffers at a time, right? So, but the GPU is for like...
>> GALPIN: Well, you know and that's why they go great on these--on these newer devices.
We have some very, very powerful CPUs with, you know, Vector processing...
>> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm. >> GALPIN: ...built in to them, you know.
Neons can do a lot of really cool stuff. So, it's--it definitely is an opportunity to actually
go and balance some of the load between the CPU or GPU and especially when you get into
this tilers, you can really--you can start to guess at what they're going to do badly
and you'll usually be right. >> NI-LEWIS: All right. I think...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: And then that's it, the world's...
>> GALPIN: Are there... >> NI-LEWIS: ...world record for the longest
answer to complete a long the question. >> GALPIN: Yeah, I know.
>> NI-LEWIS: Next question. >> GALPIN: Yes. Is there anything else in
the screen that's interesting at all? >> Yes, so a question from Bugsize. He's asking
[INDISTINCT] keep pushing hardware speed, won't programming become really easy? No more
optimizations needed? >> GALPIN: Well, it--I guess at some point,
way in the distant future. The thing is we keep pushing kind of two things. One is the
expectation for quality. So, you know, while, you know, while we're pushing more Geometer,
we're pushing more textures, we're pushing more layering. And so we're keeping up the
hardware. The second thing is we're going high resolution, you know. I mean and as--and
every time we go a higher resolution, it's kind of funny we sort of take a step forward
and a step back. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah.
>> GALPIN: A step forward and a step back. >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, exactly. Well, and so I
have my own personal answer for you. And of course the answer is yes, see JavaScript,
right? >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: Because--I mean, that's why we have the web is because this incredibly inefficient
mode of programming that grew out of the mark up language and an experiment in Computer
Science... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...has now become capable of running almost anything as long as you're
on a massively multi-core of computer with gigabytes of RAM.
>> GALPIN: Exactly. >> NI-LEWIS: But on--and so I think that that
trend will probably continue... >> GALPIN:: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...especially now that we've really gotten for multi-core into the desktop.
But here's the problem... >> GALPIN: For certain class of games, I think--I
think we won't have to optimize. >> NI-LEWIS: Well, here's the problem for
mobile though, a little thing I like to call the Laws of Physics. There is certain amount
of weight you're willing to carry in your pocket.
>> GALPIN: You cannot change the Laws of Physics. >> NI-LEWIS: That's right. Thank you. I was
waiting for that. >> GALPIN: I know you were.
>> NI-LEWIS: The--wait. That does make you evil, Scotty?
>> GALPIN: Does, it does? You're right. All right. Never mind. I don't know what I...
>> NI-LEWIS: Nice. >> GALPIN: ...thought I was doing there.
>> NI-LEWIS: Anyway, the point is, so you have a specific amount of battery.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: You have a specific size and
specific tolerant for heat. Now, if you've ever felt the back of let's say a giant, you
know, Mac Pro or a--one of these big Windows workstations or anything like that. You know
that the type of computational power that it takes to run let's say...
>> GALPIN: It totally beats my house. >> NI-LEWIS: ...[INDISTINCT] yeah.
>> GALPIN: It's awesome like I don't even need to turn on the heater at certain times.
I just turn up that [MAKES NOISE] >> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, all I do is check my Gmail.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: Boom.
>> GALPIN: Exactly. That's why I called it VA, right?
>> NI-LEWIS: Yeah, exactly. So, you know, none of that is going to take away from the
miracle that is modern computing. But to get that into the size--I mean it is somewhat
that you could... >> GALPIN: It somewhat less than [INDISTINCT]
>> NI-LEWIS: Well--right. And it's the same way that you can be like--well, gee, you know,
Transatlantic Ocean Liners can produce huge amounts of horse powers. So, I guess we don't
have to worry about designing cars to be aerodynamic. Well, no, because you're never going to get
that, you know, that engine... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...into that size and make it work efficiently, right?
>> GALPIN: I think on mobile it's always good to--it's always good when you can design something
efficiently. You can always help the user's battery life. You know, we--you know, sometimes
the reason why people stop playing mobile games is like, "This game is sucking away
all of my battery." And, you know, so being more efficient is always better. Now, that
being said, you know, we are getting to a point in which certain kinds of optimizations
aren't as important. >> NI-LEWIS: Yes.
>> GALPIN: And for a lot of games. I mean there's...
>> NI-LEWIS: Very sure. >> GALPIN: There's a lot--there's a whole
series of games that just doesn't have to care about certain things. But memory is always
an important resource. We have a lot of devices that have, you know, different sizes of VMs,
different sizes of actual physical memory in different amount of stuff that's running
on top of them. So it's always good to be resource sensitive...
>> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm. >> GALPIN: ...on this resource constraints...
>> NI-LEWIS: But there are tradeoffs, you know. I mean...
>> GALPIN: Yeah. >> NI-LEWIS: ...sometimes you can--you can
trade memory for greater CPU. >> GALPIN: Absolutely.
>> NI-LEWIS: That's less the case than it--than it used to be. CPUs have really gotten faster,
memory buses have quite kept up... >> GALPIN: Well, I mean we can--we can--we
could make cars more sufficient today. We could build them out of titanium.
>> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm. >> GALPIN: But the problem is it would be
really, really, really, expensive and no one would but them. So, you know, you...
>> NI-LEWIS: Except for you. I think--don't you have titanium car now?
>> GALPIN: No, I don't. But that sounds like a brilliant idea.
>> NI-LEWIS: Right. I'm mixing you up with Sergey.
>> GALPIN: Exactly. Yeah, I know. People do that. It's the beard.
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, that same thing, yeah. He owns a titanium car.
>> GALPIN: So, in any case, you know, so I mean there's a point in which obviously you're--what
I'm saying is that in terms of efficiency, there is a point in which you want to--you
have to stop and say, "Look, it's just not worth it." We've hit the 95 percentile of
what, you know, what we're going to get. >> NI-LEWIS: Uh-hmm.
>> GALPIN: But I think that, you know, especially in mobile it's a--forced us to relook at efficiency
and say, "You know, this is really important stuff," which is fun because we love it to
work Computer Scientists. >> NI-LEWIS: Oh, yeah.
>> GALPIN: And we love actually looking at those kinds of problems.
>> NI-LEWIS: Remember though that actually speed is not as important as it once was.
But smoothness is. So a lot of times, we're doing things that don't actually increase
the speed of the application. What they do is they increase the responsiveness and make
certain that the animations can play at 60 frames per second. So making something twice
as fast isn't hard. Making it consistently 60 FPS when you started out at 15 FPS or 30
FPS is often extremely difficult because... >> GALPIN: Uh-hmm.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...especially if you're trying to make it consistent, consistent.
>> GALPIN: Yeah. And again, if you're trying to, you know, one of the real challenges on
Android is you're trying to use a very small amount of memory targeting a very high resolution
screen and you are fighting the fact that you've also have garbage collection going,
that every once in a while that's going to take 20-30 milliseconds.
>> NI-LEWIS: I love how a very small amount of memory.
>> GALPIN: Yeah, I know. >> NI-LEWIS: And is--yeah.
>> GALPIN: Yeah, like 64 megabytes of memory, you know, is--which is...
>> NI-LEWIS: Well, right--or, you know, I mean if we have a gig or two gigs in a device,
I mean that's like... >> GALPIN: Yeah.
>> NI-LEWIS: ...I'd use to dream of that. >> GALPIN: Well, exactly. I mean I actually--I
actually remember that 16 megabytes memory for a [INDISTINCT] or for a computer was just
something beyond like that was what professional photo workstations had and that was like $5,000...
>> NI-LEWIS: Oh, yeah, exactly. >> GALPIN: ...worth of memory.
>> NI-LEWIS: Exactly. >> GALPIN: The fact that we have that for
a process--so, you know, it's always going to take things into consideration. That's
what I mean when I talk about quality, you know, the quality keeps going up. We keep
finding ways of using those computing resource. So I think that we're not going to be at a
time anytime soon. Maybe 20-30 years out, we're going to be able to say, "Yeah, you
know, we don't need to worry about this." But I think that for--we still have a pretty
long cycle before that stuff becomes unimportant. >> NI-LEWIS: Yup.
>> GALPIN: All right. I think--I think--is there anything else exciting?
>> NI-LEWIS: Anything else on the screen that's just really knocking you out? No?
>> GALPIN: No. All right. >> NI-LEWIS: All right.
>> GALPIN: Well, thank you for joining us. As always, vote stuff up in the moderator
page. Let us know what you're playing. Let us know what you want us to talk about. We're
going to try mix up the format of the show a little. We've got some exciting stuff coming
on as soon as we get some sleep. So, thank you once again for joining us and our friends
over at [INDISTINCT]. It was actually getting a fan for providing this delicious IPA that
we're drinking now. >> NI-LEWIS: All right. God bless us everyone.
Little Android play us up. >> GALPIN: God Bless us everyone. Here we
are.