Avoid code violations, Hermitage, Conference for Girls, Living Healthy - Norfolk Perspecitves


Uploaded by NorfolkTV on 23.05.2012

Transcript:
>> WELCOME TO "NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES."
I'M BOB BATCHER. YES, IT IS SPRINGTIME, EARLY
SUMMER, WHICH MEANS PEOPLE ARE OUT LOOKING AT MAYBE STARTING TO
BUILD THE NEW ADDITION, OR MAYBE THE NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE
DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT, OR THEY HAVE A POOL.
TAKE YOUR PICK. I HAVE TWO PEOPLE WHO CAN TALK
ABOUT THAT PLUS A LOT MORE. SHERRY JOHNSON, NEIGHBORHOOD
SERVICES MANAGER, BUREAU OF NEIGHBORHOOD QUALITY.
HOW ARE YOU DOING? >> GOOD.
>> AND LYNN UNDERWOOD, CODE OFFICIAL, BUREAU OF NEIGHBORHOOD
QUALITY. YOU TAKE IT FROM THE VERY GET
GO. THERE'S A VACANT LOT AND
SOMEBODY WANTS TO PUT A HOUSE ON IT, RIGHT?
>> RIGHT. WE ISSUE PERMITS FOR ANYTHING
NEW, ANY ADDITIONS OR REMOLDING. >> WHAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THE
PERMIT, TO FIGURE OUT WHAT EVERYONE IS DOING?
>> TO PRESERVE SAFETY FOR PEOPLE INSIDE THE BUILDING WHEN IT'S
FINISHED. >> SO WHEN THE BUDDY SAYS, I CAN
DO WIRING FOR YOU, YOU AUGHT TO BE CAREFUL BECAUSE A LOT OF
BUDDIES AND PEOPLE OTHER PEOPLE KNOW DON'T KNOW ALL THE THINGS
THEY NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO PROVIDE A SAFE INSTALLATION.
YOU WANT TO GET A LICENSED CONTRACTOR, MAKE SURE IT'S
SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE. >> AND YOU CAN FOLLOW THE
PROCESS THROUGH. >> YES.
>> I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT BUILDING A HOUSE BECAUSE I WATCH
HGTV. >> I'VE HAD THAT EXPERIENCE.
>> THEY SAY A BEDROOM IS ONLY A BEDROOM IF IT HAS A CLOSET?
>> THERE ARE SEVERAL RULES ABOUT A HOUSE, INCLUDING THINGS LIKE
THE SIZE, THE CONSTRUCTION, THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY, THE
EGRESS, FIRE SAFETY, ALL THAT. >> SO ALL THAT IS FOR REAL.
>> YES. >> SO IF YOU HAVE TO BRING YOUR
PLANS IN, THAT'S WHAT YOU LOOK AT.
>> CORRECT, WE VERIFY THE PLANS, ISSUE THE PERMIT AND OVERSEE
CONSTRUCTION. >> HOW DO YOU KNOW IF A
CONTRACTOR HAS A LICENSE. >> CONTACT THE ORGANIZATION THAT
REGULATES THE CONTRACTORS, THE DEPARTMENT OF PROFESSIONAL
OCCUPATIONAL RELATION, DPOR, OF THE STATE OF VIRGINIA.
THEY HAVE A WEB SITE. WE CAN GIVE THE WEB SITE TO THE
VIEWERS LATER. BUT THE WEB SITE, YOU CAN VERIFY
THAT IF A CONTRACTOR IS LICENSED, WHAT THEY'RE QUALIFIED
TO DO IN TERMS OF WORK AND IF THEY HAVE HAD ANY COMMAINTENANCE
FILED AGAINST THEM. >> SHERRY, IT'S SPRING AND EARLY
SUMMER, AND I'M THINKING IT'S TIME TO TALK ABOUT TALL GRASS,
WEEDS AND POOLS. WHAT'S TALL GRASS.
>> ANYTHING OVER 12 INCHES CONSISTENTLY IN YOUR YARD, IN
NORFOLK. SO IT'S PRETTY HIGH.
>> YOU'VE GOT THE INSPECTORS THAT WORK WITH YOU THAT WILL GO
AROUND AND LOOK AT ESTABLISHED STRUCTURES AND SEE IF THEY'RE
HEADING TOWARD BLIGHT. >> UH-HUH.
>> BEFORE THE INSPECTOR GETS THERE, WHAT ARE THE KINDS OF
THINGS NEIGHBORS LOOK FOR. >> ONE OF THE THINGS WE'RE
EXPERIENCING ESPECIALLY IN OUR ECONOMY IS FORECLOSURERS.
WHAT I WOULD LIKE FOR THE CITIZENS OF NORFOLK IS TO LOOK
OUT FOR THE NEIGHBORS. IF THEY KNOW THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR
OR UP THE BLOCK HAS GONE INTO FORECLOSE, KEEP A GOOD EYE ON
THAT. MANY OF THE BANKS ARE TAKING
RESPONSIBILITIES AND THEY HAVE SERVICE COMPANIES MAINTAINING
THE HOUSES. LET US KNOW WHEN YOU CALL IN.
YOU KNOW TO CALL THE CALL CENTER AT 664-6510 AND LET US KNOW
WHAT'S GOING ON IN THAT HOUSE. FIRST AND FOREMOST, AS A
NEIGHBOR, YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THAT HOUSE.
>> I KNOW LAST SUMMER THERE WAS A STORY THAT MADE IT TO ONE OF
THE BROADCAST STATIONS WHERE THE NEIGHBORS ARE KEEPING THE FRONT
LAWN MODE UP ON AN EMPTY HOUSE, BUT THERE WAS A TREE COMING OUT
OF THE POOL. NOW THAT RAISES ALL KINDS OF
ISSUES. SO WHAT KINDS OF THINGS SHOULD
PEOPLE LOOK OUT FOR IF THEY OWN A POOL.
>> IF YOU OWN A POOL, ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS, THIS IS THE FIRST
TIME YOU'RE GETTING ONE THIS EAR, IS YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE
IT'S SAFE AND YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE IT'S CLEAN ALL THE TIME,
NOT JUST WHEN YOU'RE USING IT. SO ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE
HAVE IN CITY OF NORFOLK ARE BARRIER REQUIREMENTS, AND WE'RE
HAPPY TO TALK TO THE CALL CENTER AND THEY CAN HOOK YOU UP WITH
US. >> THERE NEEDS TO BE A FENCE
AROUND THE YARD? >> OR THE POOL STEPS NEED TO BE
REMOVED. >> IN THE CASE OF AN
ABOVE-GROUND POOL. >> CORRECT, FOR THE SAFETY OF
YOUR FAMILY AND CHILDREN AND OTHER FAMILIES AND CHILDREN AND
ANIMALS IN THE AREA. THE FLIP SIDE, YOU HAVE TO KEEP
IT CLEAN. YOU CAN'T START THE POOL AT THE
BEGINNING OF THE YEAR AND LET IT GO INTO MOSQUITO SEASON.
YOU HAVE TO MAINTAIN IT. >> WHEN YOU BRING IN YOUR PLANS
FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION, TYING IT ALL TOGETHER, AND YOU'RE GOING
TO PUT A POOL IN LATER, IS THAT SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE PLANNING
AHEAD WHEN YOU'RE SETTING THE HOUSE ON THE LOT?
>> PLAN AHEAD, IF YOU PLAN TO PUT A POOL IN.
MOST PEOPLE DON'T THINK ABOUT IT TILL LATER BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT
THINKING THEY CAN AFFORD IT AT THE INITIAL CONSTRUCTION OF THE
HOUSE. THERE IS REALLY NOTHING WRONG
WITH PUTTING IT IN AS LONG AS EVERYTHING MEETS THE REQUIRED
YETBACKS FOR THE POOL, FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE POOL.
FOR EXAMPLE, YOU MIGHT BE PUTTING UNDERGROUND UTILITIES
FOR THE HOUSE, BUT IF YOU CAN AVOID THAT WHERE THE POOL WILL
BE, YOU CAN PUT THOSE ASPECTS IN AS YOU'RE BUILDING THE HOUSE.
>> SOME PARTS OF THE CITY HAVE SPECIAL OVERLAY DISTRICTS OR
HISTORIC DISTRICTS. HOW DO YOU FIND OUT WHAT THOSE
RULES ARE IF YOU'RE DOING AN ADDITION.
>> YOU CAN RESEARCH THE DETAILS OF YOUR PARTICULAR ADDRESS OR
CALL OUR OFFICE AND WE CAN GO THROUGH IT WITH YOU.
664-6565 IS THE TELEPHONE NUMBER TO CALL, YOU CAN REACH US.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, OUR PLAN EXAMINERS OR PERMIT
TECHNICIANS CAN GO OVER EACH OF THE DETAILS FOR YOUR HOUSE.
>> SOMETHING YOU SAID THAT WAS VERY SIGNIFICANT, PLAN AHEAD.
IF YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT BUILDING OR ADDING AN ADDITION,
IT'S BEST TO DO THAT RIGHT AWAY. >> ABSOLUTELY.
>> WHAT'S THE NUMBER TO LOOK AFTER THE HOUSE IF IT'S VACANT?
>> 664-6510. THE CALL CENTER CAN HELP YOU
WITH ANY INFORMATION THEY HAVE ON THE HOUSE AS WELL AS YOU GIVE
US INFORMATION. THE OTHER TOOL IS THE NORFOLK
AIR THAT WE USE ON THE WEB SITE WHERE PEOPLE CAN SELF-SERVE AND
SEE WHAT'S DOING ON. >> SCROLL DOWN, LOOK FOR NORFOLK
AIR AND THAT WILL TELL YOU IF YOU'RE IN ONE OF THE DISTRICTS.
THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING TO BRING INFORMATION TO
THE RESIDENTS SO WE CAN HAVE THAT NEIGHBORHOOD QUALITY.
BECAUSE IT RESTS WITH YOU, THE NEIGHBOR.
WHEN WE COME BACK, ALL KINDS OF COOL STUFF GOING ON THIS TIME OF
YEAR RIGHT HERE IN NORFOLK, SO STAY TUNED.
>> WELCOME BACK TO "NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES."
THERE IS AWESOME STUFF GOING ON IN NORFOLK AND, OF COURSE, IT'S
HAPPENING RIGHT AT THE HERMITAGE, RIGHT, MEGAN FROST?
>> THAT'S RIGHT. >> THERE ARE AWESOME SUNSETS
OVER NORFOLK AND YOU'RE CAPTURING THEM?
>> WE UTILIZE THE SUNSETS IN CONCERTS, YES.
>> LET'S START FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.
THE HERMITAGE IS NOT DOWNTOWN UNDER THE GLARE OF THE RIGHTS.
IT'S OFF OF HAMPTON BOULEVARD, TUCKED AWAY IN A REALLY COOL
NEIGHBORHOOD. >> IN A REALLY COOL
NEIGHBORHOOD. BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A REASON TO
GO TO THAT REALLY COOL NEIGHBORHOOD IF YOU DON'T LIVE
THERE. THAT'S WHY I STARTED THE SUNSET
CONCERTS. >> LET'S GO EVEN FURTHER BACK.
THE HERMITAGE HASN'T ALWAYS BEEN A MUSEUM, IT WAS SOMEONE'S HOME.
>> RIGHT, IT WAS THE HOME OF THE SLOANES AND THEY OPENED THEIR
HOME TO THE PUBLIC AND WE'RE CELEBRATING OUR ANNIVERSARY OF
BEING A PRIVATE, NONPROFIT MUSEUM.
>> MY THOUGHT IS THEY PROBABLY HAD PRETTY COOL PARTIES ON THEIR
LAWN. >> YES.
>> THEY WERE WELL CONNECTED. >> THEY WERE VERY INSTRUMENTAL
IN THE CULTURAL ARTS SCENE IN NORFOLK, BUT ALSO SUPPORTIVE OF
THE MILITARIES IN BOTH WARS. WE HAVE PICTURES OF THE
SERVICEMEN ON THE FRONT LAWN WE NOW USE FOR PARKING, BUT GREAT
PICTURES OF THE SERVICEMEN IN THEIR UNIFORM PLAYING TUG OF WAR
AND ALL THESE CRAZY GAMES AND ONE AMAZING PICTURE OF
MRS. SLOANE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF
SERVICEMEN. SO WE'RE NOT DOING ANYTHING NEW.
THE PROPERTY IS USED TO HAVING PEOPLE ON IT.
>> WHAT TYPE OF ARCHITECTURE IS THE HOUSE?
>> IT'S A MIX. IT'S TECHNICALLY ARTS AND CRAFTS
WITH A TUDOR INFLUENCE. >> AND IT'S LINED OF ECLECTIC.
>> YES, IT'S CALL HAND-CARVED BY CARVERS THERE ON THE PROPERTY.
>> WITH A GREAT BUILT-IN ORGAN. >> YEAH, AN ORGAN.
HAVE A CUSTOM STEINWAY PIANO, HID INDOORS AND PASSAGEWAYS.
>> NO KIDS GREW UP THERE. >> TWO SONS.
>> REALLY? MY CRACK RESEARCH DIDN'T SHOW
THAT. >> TWO SONS, BUT THERE IS NO
FAMILY REALLY INVOLVED ANYMORE. THEY SET IT UP TO BE A --
>> BUT THEY WOULD DEFINITELY APPROVE OF THESE SUNSET --
>> MOST CERTAINLY. >> OKAY.
THEY'RE PARTIES? >> YEAH, THEY'RE BASICALLY
PARTIES. BUT PEOPLE BRING THEIR OWN
PICNICS, ANDTHS FREE FOR MUSEUM MEMBERS.
ONLY $7 IF YOU'RE NOT A MEMBER. WE HAVE A CASH BAR AND LOTS OF
DIFFERENT BANDS COME OUT, AND IT'S VERY FAMILY FRIENDLY.
WE DO A LITTLE KIDS' ART PROJECT SO THE KIDS ARE OCCUPIED WHILE
THE PARENTS SOCIALIZE. THEY RUN AROUND AND HAVE A GOOD
TIME. >> COULD THERE BE A TUG OF WAR
GAME GOING ON? >> MAYBE.
>> NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT -- >> MAYBE.
>> THERE IS GREAT MUSIC AND THIS WEEK YOU HAVE HOTCAKES PLANNED.
>> EVERY OTHER THURSDAY NIGHT, 6:00 TO 9:00 IN MAY AND JUNE, WE
HAVE THE HOTCAKES IN MAY. >> THEY ARE NOT PANCAKES.
>> THEY ARE HOTCAKES. THEY ARE A DANCE BAND, AND I
HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THEY'RE A VERY POPULAR DANCE BAND.
>> WHEN YOU SAY HOTCAKES, IT SOUNDS LIKE HOTCAKES.
>> A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT, SO IT'S GOING
TO BE A GOOD ONE. >> COOL.
DO YOU PRE-TEST THE BANDS? >> IT'S KIND OF A MIX.
SOME I GO OUT AND SEE BANDS AND OTHERS CONTACT ME THAT ARE
INTERESTED IN PLAYING. >> YOU HAVE LUKE HARMON COMING
UP WHO PLAYED AT RIVERFEST. >> YES, HE'S A YOUNG, LOCAL GUY,
ACOUSTIC, SINGER/SONG WRITER. >> SO IT COULD BE ONE OF THOSE,
I SAW HIM ON THE LAWN. >> KIND OF GET TO THEM BEFORE
THEY HIT BIG, MAYBE. AND THE SAME FOR GREEN BOYS.
>> ON THE 21st. >> AND THEY'RE THE BLUE GRASS
BAND, THE LAST ONE FROM THE SUMMER.
>> YOU'RE SAYING THAT WITH DISAPPOINTMENT.
IT'S GOT TO END. >> I RUN IT ALL TIME, BUT WE'RE
A SMALL STAFF, SO WE HAVE TO TAKE A BREAK.
>> ARE YOU WITH THE BAND OR THE KIDS?
>> I'M BACK THERE POURING BEER, WINE, SELLING MEMBERSHIPS.
>> MEMBERSHIPS, $7 IF YOU'RE NOT A MEMBER.
BUT, IF YOU ARE A MEMBER, HOW MUCH IS MEMBERSHIP?
>> $60 FOR A HOUSEHOLD. >> REALLY?
>> YEAH, TWO ADULTS AND TWO CHILDREN GETS YOU IN FREE TO ALL
THE EXHIBITION OPENINGS, THE MUSEUM, ALL THE FRIDAY NIGHT
FILMS WE'LL HAVE IN JUNE, JULY AND AUGUST.
ALL OF THE PROGRAMS ARE FREE FOR MEMBERS.
>> THERE IS A LOT OF COOL STUFF GOING ON WHEN IT COMES TO THE
SHORELINE. THERE IS A REAL SENSITIVITY TO
THE ENVIRONMENT THAT THE HOUSE IS IN.
>> YES, ON BOTH SIDES OF THE PROPERTY, WE'VE DONE EXTENSIVE
WETLANDS RESTORATION PROJECT AND WE BRING IN SCHOOL CHILDREN TO
LEARN ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF THE WETLANDS AND CLEAN RIVER.
>> I MENTIONED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEGMENT YOU WERE NOT
AMONG THE LIGHTS OF THE DOWNTOWN, YOU WERE NESTLED IN
THE NEIGHBORHOOD. >> MM-HMM.
>> DOES THAT KIND OF BRING OPPORTUNITIES?
>> IT'S A GREAT, BEAUTIFUL NEIGHBORHOOD.
WE WERE JUST ON THE NORFOLK HOME AND GARDENS TOUR WHERE THE
HERMITAGE WAS ON THE COVER OF THE STATE GUIDE BOOK SO BEING IN
THE NEIGHBORHOOD GIVES VISIBILITY FOR THE MUSEUM.
>> AND THE NEIGHBORS? THEY'VE GOTTEN USED TO YOUR
PARTIES? >> THEY ARE THE FIRST ONES OVER
THERE. THEY JUST WALK ON OVER.
>> DO YOU HAVE A MESSAGE TO THE NEIGHBORS?
>> I'D LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU TO THE NEIGHBORS OF LOCKHAVEN.
I WANTED EVERY MEMBER OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD TO BE A MEMBER AND
MOST OF THEM ARE. >> WE HAVE THE HOTCAKES, LUKE
HARMON AND THE GREEN BOYS. > YES.
>> MEGAN, THANKS FOR THE THINGS YOU'RE GOING TO BRINGING THE
MUSEUM ALIVE AND KEEPING IT RELEVANT TODAY, EVEN THOUGH IT
HAS A TREMENDOUS HISTORY. 75 YEARS.
>> YES, 75 YEARS. >> AWESOME.
GREAT, THANK YOU. >>> WHEN WE COME BACK, YES,
WOMEN RULE THE WORLD RIGHT FROM ODU.
STAY TUNED AND FIND OUT WHAT THAT MEANS.
>>> WELCOME BACK TO "NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES."
I DIDN'T MEAN TO BREAK NEWS BY SAYING THAT WOMEN RULE THE
RECORD WORLD. I KNEW THAT BECAUSE I RAISED TWO
DAUGHTERS. WHERE WERE YOU GUYS WHEN I WAS
DOING THAT? LESLIE AND KATY, YOU HAVE THE
GIRLS WORLD OF WORLD, STRENGTHENING YOUR JOURNEY
CONFERENCE AT ODU COME JUNE 2. TELL ME ABOUT IT.
>> WELL, WE'RE USING THE WEB CENTER AT ODU, AND IT'S ALL DAY
SATURDAY. GOES FROM REGISTRATION THAT
STARTS AT 8:00. A KEYNOTE SPEAKER, MARIAN JONES,
A FORMER TRACK STAR, AND DOES A LOT OF WORK WITH YOUTH,
PARTICULARLY AND DECISION MAKING
AND TALKS TO YOUTH ABOUT, WHEN YOU COME TO THOSE MOMENTS IN
YOUR LIFE THAT YOU'VE GOT TO MAKE BIG DECISIONS, HOW DO YOU
DO IT WELL? AND SHE'S USING HER OWN
EXPERIENCE TO DO THAT. THERE WILL BE A CONTINENTAL
BREAKFAST. AFTER THAT, THERE WILL BE
WORKSHOPS FOR THE GIRLS. IT'S FOR GIRLS 10 TO 18.
> THE MOST VULNERABLE AGES? >> ABSOLUTELY.
>> INTO THE WEB CENTER, ALL AT THE SAME TIME?
>> IT'S WONDERFUL. IT'S FULL OF ENERGY.
WE HAVE TERRIFIC WORKSHOPS. WE SEPARATE BY AGE JUST BECAUSE
OF THE CONTENT OF THE WORKSHOPS IS MORE APPROPRIATE FOR ONE AGE
VERSUS ANOTHER. AND THEN THERE IS A BOX LUNCH.
THERE WILL BE RESOURCE TABLES FROM LOCAL BUSINESSES, LOCAL
AGENCIES, ORGANIZATIONS, SO THERE ARE GOODIES, STUFF TO HAND
OUT. EVERYBODY GETS A T-SHIRT AND A
LITTLE BACKPACK. AFTER LUNCH, WE HAVE ZUMBA.
EVERYBODY STANDS UP IN FRONT OF THE WEB CENTER AND DOES ZUMBA.
>> I'M UP HERE THINKING, WHO DO I WANT THE TALK TO AND ASK
QUESTIONS FOR, THE PARENTS OR THE 10 TO 18-YEAR-OLD GIRL?
I THINK I'M GOING TO SHOOT FOR THE PARENT BECAUSE I HAVE A
FLASHBACK OF 10 TO 18, THAT JOURNEY.
MY 10-YEAR-OLDS LOVED ME, THOUGHT THE WORLD OF ME!
THEN SOMEBODY TOOK THEM AWAY. >> NOT FOR LONG.
>> YEAH! >> THEY STILL THINK THE WORLD OF
YOU, BUT IT SEEMS TO DISAPPEAR FOR A WHILE.
>> WHEN THEY WERE ABOUT 17 OR 18, I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THEY
WILL BE ADULTS LONGER THAN TEENAGERS, AND MAYBE IF I
TREATED THEM LIKE THAT. IS THAT TRUE?
>> YES. >> OH, GOOD.
BECAUSE THEY'RE NOW 30 AND 27. >> WE ACTUALLY HAVE A PARENTS'
PANEL AS A PART OF THIS BECAUSE WE REALLY BELIEVE THAT THE
PARENTS SHOULD COME, AND WE TRY TO HAVE ISSUES ADDRESSED THERE
THAT ARE PARTICULARLY THE KINDS OF ISSUES YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
>> HERE'S ONE FOR YOU, KATIE. BETWEEN THE 10 AND 18, WHEN DO
THEY GO FROM BEING A GIRL TO BEING A YOUNG WOMAN?
WE WON'T DEAL WITH THE WOMAN PART.
>> OKAY. >> THE YOUNG WOMAN PART.
WHEN DO THEY MAKE THAT TRANSITION?
>> I WISH THERE WAS A CLEAR-CUT ANSWER TO THAT.
>> THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE. [ LAUGHTER ]
>> AS A MOTHER OF TWO, I WOULD SAY, YOU WOULD LIKE TO THINK AT
18, BUT I'M SORRY, BOB, THEY WILL BE WITH YOU FOR A LONG
TIME, PROBABLY TILL THEY TAKE THE LAST STEP.
BUT I THINK AT THAT AGE, THERE IS THAT LITTLE WINTER DISCONTENT
FROM 14-16 WHERE THEY SEEM LIKE ALIENS HAVE TAKEN OVER THEIR
BODIES, THEY COME BACK. I MAKE THIS CONFERENCE A FUN
EVENT WITH MY TWO GIRLS EVERY YEAR.
THE OLDER ONE VOLUNTEERS, THE YOUNGER ONE STILL TAKES THE
CLASS, SHE'S 14. AS A PARENT, WE'RE LOOKING AT
SOCIAL IMMEDIATEY AND HOW IT'S AFFECTING OUR GIRLS, 14-18 YEARS
OF AGE AND MAYBE YOUNGER WHO ARE HAVING THE Facebook PAGES.
BECAUSE AS A BABY BOOMER, I CAN'T WRAP MY MIND ABOUT WHAT'S
GOING ON WITH TECHNOLOGY, BUT THERE ARE OTHER PARENTS LIKE ME.
>> WEFN MINE GROWING UP, I DIDN'T MIND THEM TALKING ON THE
PHONE FOREVER BECAUSE THEY COULD NEVER GET FURTHER THAN 10 FEET
AWAY FROM THE WALL. NOW --
> RIGHT, THAT'S WHY IT'S SUCH A CRITICAL ISSUE.
IN THE PAST, WE'VE HAD PEOPLE -- ACTUALLY, TO THE GIRLS -- COME
AND TALK ABOUT THE SOCIAL MEDIA AND SOME OF THE IMPLICATIONS OF
SHARING ALL YOUR INFORMATION AND HOW TO BE CAUTIOUS, AND THAT'S
ONE OF THE THING THAT THEY'RE GOING TO BE TALKING ABOUT TO THE
PARENTS THIS TIME. THEN WE ALSO, BECAUSE OF OUR
KEYNOTE SPEAKER, BECAUSE WE HAVE MARIAN JONES COMING, WE ALSO
HAVE SOMEONE WHO'S GOING TO TALK TO PARENTS ABOUT SPORTS AND
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND HOW YOU CAN REALLY LINK THOSE THINGS
AND LOU IT IS OFTEN GOOD TO ENCOURAGE CHILDREN AND GIRLS IN
PARTICULAR BECAUSE THEY DON'T GET MUCH OF THAT.
>> WHAT IS COOL FOR A TEENAGE GIRL.
>> AS A MOTHER OF A 14-YEAR-OLD, KNOWING WHAT TO WEAR, SHOWING UP
WITH THE RIGHT THING ON. COOL IS DO YOU HAVE A
Facebook, CAN YOU INSTAGRAM, DO YOU HAVE AN iPhone.
AS A ROLE OF A PARENT, YOU HAVE TO DEFINE WHAT COOL IS, AT AN
EARLY AGE FOR YOUR CHILDREN SO THEY DON'T BECOME OVERWHELMED BY
WHAT THEY SEE. >> WHICH IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW
WHAT COOL IS. >> YOU HAVE TO BECAUSE WE HAVE
TO BE ABLE TO DISSEMINATE A LOT OF INFORMATION, THE NEGATIVE
SIGNALS OUR GIRLS ARE RECEIVING. IF I COULD SAY ONE THING ABOUT
THIS CONFERENCE, THERE IS A SENSE OF POWER IN THAT ROOM FOR
YOUNG WOMEN. I MEAN, YOU LEAVE ON THIS HIGH,
LIKE, I CAN BE ANYTHING I WANT TO BE.
>> IF YOU PUT IN YOUR PROMOTION MATERIALS, GIRLS RULE THE WORLD,
OF COURSE! >> WELL, WE ALWAYS -- IT'S THE
JOURNEY PART, LIKE YOU TALKED ABOUT BEFORE --
>> WITH THE RIGHT TO RULE. >> -- WHICH IS FINDING YOURSELF
AND YOUR OWN POWER AND KNOWING HOW TO MAKE THOSE GOOD DECISIONS
AND HOW TO MOVE FORWARD IN LIFE AND TO THINK ABOUT SOME OF THE
ISSUES THAT MAYBE YOU DON'T THINK ABOUT ALL THE TIME.
>> YOU'RE MORE THAN YOUR EXTERNAL.
YOU'RE MORE THAN WHAT YOU WEAR, WHERE YOU GO AND WHERE YOU LIVE.
THERE IS SOMETHING DEEP INSIDE AND WE TRY TO GET THEM TO
DISCOVER THAT HIDDEN TREASURE. >> THAT'S THE BEGINNING JOURNEY
TO HEALTH WHICH WE'LL TALK ABOUT.
BUT IS THERE A WEB PAGE? >> WWW.ODU.EDU/OA/CDC.
>> FOR THE PARENTS, WHAT'S THE HONE NUMBER?
>> I DON'T REMEMBER. I HOPE IT'S SCROLLING.
>> WE HAVE BEEN SCROLLING THE PHONE NUMBER.
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU'RE DOING TO INVEST IN OUR FUTURE.
>>> AND ON THE JOURNEY TO HEALTH WHEN WE TALK ABOUT HEALTH IN
NORFOLK AND HOW IT PERTAINS TO YOU.
>> WELCOME BACK TO NORFOLK PERSPECTIVES.
MAY IS THE BEGINNING OF A HEALTHY COMMUNITY TIME RIGHT
HERE IN NORFOLK, AND YOU CAN PLAY AN IMPORTANT PART.
I HAVE LYNNE ZULTANKY, DIRECTOR FOR BON SECOURS IN THIS
COMMUNITY. FOR THE ONES OF US WHO GREW UP
AND USE THAT HOSPITAL, THAT IS DePAUL.
>> THAT IS DePAUL. WE'RE RENAISSANCE AT THAT
FACILITY. IF YOU DRIVE BY, YOU WILL SEE
WE'RE GETTING READY TO START A NEW MEDICAL BUILDING AND HAVE
INVESTED $20 MILLION IN THAT FACILITY IN THE LAST 20 YEARS.
>> LET ME SET IT UP. WE GOT A NEW CITY MANAGER OVER A
YEAR AGO WHO IS A YOUNG, VITAL GUY TO WORKS OUT ALL THE TIME
AND HE SAYS IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT WORKING OUT, BUT WE'VE GOT TO BE
A HEALTHY COMMUNITY. AND WE BROUGHT IN A LOT OF OUR
CORPORATE PARTNERS, YOU ALL BEING SOME, AROUND A TABLE.
TO BE HONEST, YOU MADE IT SOUND REALLY EASY.
IT'S A MATTER OF GETTING PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT IT, AWARE OF IT
AND SETTING EXAMPLES. THIS MONTH, IT'S AS SIMPLE AS
GOING FOR A WALK. BUT YOU GUYS HAVE TAKEN IT A
LITTLE FURTHER, BUT YOU STARTED FF EASY.
>> WE DID. WE STARTED OUT WITH CREATING
AWARENESS OF HEALTH CONDITIONS. WE ARE NOT IMMUNE TO -- JUST
BECAUSE WE'RE IN HEALTHCARE DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE IMMUNE TO
BECOMING ILL OR HAVING EMPLOYEES THAT HAVE HYPERTENSION OR
DIABETES OR THAT ARE OBESE. >> I CAN SIT IN MY CHAIR AND
SAY, I'M AWARE. >> NOW WE WANT YOU TO GET OUT OF
YOUR CHAIR AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR EATING.
>> OKAY. >> DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR
ACTIVITY. WE CREATE AWARENESS AND
OPPORTUNITIES DO THAT. AND ALSO TO DO THINGS SUCH AS,
IF YOU'RE A SMOKING, WE'RE OFFERING SMOKING CESSATION.
WE HAVE SMOKE-FREE CAMPUSES NOW AND NICOTINE-FREE HIRING.
> NOW, I QUIT SMOKING ABOUT SEVEN YEARS AGO, IT BECAME EASY
BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SMOKE ANYMORE.
THAT ENVIRONMENT HELPED BECAUSE I WAS SNEAKING OFF TO THE
PARKING LOT. >> NOT ANYMORE.
>> OKAY. DIET, YOU WERE SAYING?
SOMETHING ABOUT FOOD? >> ONE OF OUR BIGGEST CHALLENGES
IS PORTION CONTROL, EATING THE RIGHT FOODS.
>> I WON'T TELL YOU WHAT I HAD FOR LUNCH BEFORE TAPING.
>> NO JUDGING. >> THAT'S KEY IS NO JUDGING,
RIGHT? >> NO, I JUST DON'T JUDGE YOU.
>> HOW DID YOU DO THAT IN THE HOSPITAL?
>> WE'VE CREATED MORE OPTIONS AS FAR AS HEALTHY EATING IN THE
CAFETERIA. E TOOK FRYERS OUT OF OUR
HOSPITAL. >> NO!
>> WE HAVE BAKED FRENCH FRIES AND HEALTHIER OPTIONS FOR
SALADS. AS YOU COME INTO MANY OF OUR
HOSPITALS, YOU CAN FLIP OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE AND IT WILL TELL
YOU WHAT THE CALORIE COUNT IS, THE NUTRITIONAL VALUE.
>> AND IF YOU DO IT, DO IT WITH FULL KNOWLEDGE.
>> RIGHT. >> DO YOU SELL DONUTS?
>> I DON'T RECALL SEEING THEM. PEOPLE ARE STILL ALLOWED TO
BRING THEM IN. EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.
>> AS AN EMPLOYER, WE'RE KIND OF CHALLENGING THE ESTABLISHMENT,
NOT ONLY WILL WE BE SMOKE-FREE BUT YOU'RE NOT HIRING SMOKERS
EITHER, CORRECT? >> THAT'S CORRECT.
THAT'S GIVING US AN OPPORTUNITY TO LIVE BY EXAMPLE.
WE ARE GOOD HEALTH TO OUR COMMUNITY.
THAT'S PART OF OUR MISSION, AND WE'RE MAKING IT TRUE TO OUR
COMMUNITY BY SETTING A GOOD EXAMPLE.
>> DOES THIS MEAN YOU'RE NOT TAKING THE ELEVATOR?
>> WE HAD A PROGRAM ABOUT ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO TAKE THE
STAIRS, YES. >> IT'S THAT SIMPLE, ISN'T IT?
>> IT'S MORE STEPS EVERY DAY, PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU'RE
EATING, AND BEING AWARE OF YOUR HEALTH CONDITIONS.
OUR EMPLOYEES RIGHT NOW ARE GOING THROUGH PERSONAL HEALTH
ASSESSMENT AS PART OF THEIR ENROLLMENT IN OUR HEALTH
PROGRAMS. THERE IS A DISCOUNT IF YOU HAVE
YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE CHECKED, TALK ABOUT YOUR RISKS TO
DIFFERENT KIND OF CANCER AND HEART DISEASE, TO HAVING A
STROKE. WE INCENTIVIZE OUR EMPLOYEES AND
GIVE THEM LESS RATES FOR HEALTH INSURANCE BECAUSE WE KNOW WHEN
PEOPLE HAVE EDUCATION AND MOTIVATION, THEY WILL HAVE
BETTER OUTCOMES. THEY WILL BE HEALTHIER AND WE'LL
BE ABLE TO SERVE OUR COMMUNITY BETTER.
>> LYNN, I APPRECIATE COMING TO SHARE THE SIMPLE THINGS YOU ALL
HAVE DONE BECAUSE THEY'RE THINGS THAT, AS AN INDIVIDUAL I CAN
CONSIDER SOME OF THE SAME THINGS.
WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS BAD FOR BUSINESS.
DID YOU REALIZE THAT? >> NO, I THINK PLENTY OF PEOPLE
CAN USE OUR HELP IN A VARIETY OF DIFFERENT THINGS.
O WE'LL BE BETTER OFF IN OUR OVERALL COMMUNITY IF MORE OF US
CAN DO THIS. WE'LL WORRY ABOUT HAVING GOOD
AND BAD LATER. OUR INDUSTRY IS TO TAKE CARE OF
OUR COMMUNITY. >> THANK YOU FOR BRINGING IN
AWARENESS. LET'S STAY IN TOUCH AND SEE HOW
WE ALL DO OUR JOURNEY ON HEALTH. WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO STAY HEALTHY?
GIVE US A HOLLER. AS USUAL, IT'S A WONDERFUL TIME
TO BE IN NORFOLK.