The Future of Education in Kansas: Will it meet the needs of students in our community?


Uploaded by JCCCvideo on 03.11.2011

Transcript:
[¶ MUSIC ¶]
>> GOOD EVENING, MY NAME IS
MELISSA CARLSON WITH THE LEAGUE
OF WOMEN VOTERS OF JOHNSON
COUNTY.
WELCOME TO LET'S TALK ISSUES.
A PUBLIC SERVICE PROJECT OF THE
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS AND
JOHNSON COUNTY COMMUNITY
COLLEGE.
HERE TO INTRODUCE OUR PANEL AND
TONIGHT'S TOPIC IS RETIRED
SCHOOL SUPER INTENDANT OF THE
OLATHE PUBLIC SCHOOLS, DR. PAT
ALL.
PAT?
>> THANK YOU.
THANK YOU FOR HAVING US HERE
TONIGHT AND FOR THE OPPORTUNITY
TO TALK ABOUT IMPORTANT TOPIC
EDUCATION.
IT'S SOMETHING THAT I THINK
THAT'S HIGHLY VALUED IN THIS
PARTICULAR PART OF THE STATE AS
WELL AS ACROSS THE STATE OF
KANSAS AND IS OFTEN DISCUSSED IN
THE MEDIA AND WE HAVE A GREAT
GROUP OF PANELISTS WITH US
TONIGHT.
OUR FIRST PANELISTS IS
DR. MARLIN BERRY, SUPER
INTENDANT OF THE OLATHE PUBLIC
SCHOOLS.
NEXT TO MARLIN IS DR. BLAKE
WEST, PRESIDENT OF THE KANSAS
NATIONAL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION.
OVER HERE TO THE RIGHT IS MISS
SUE STORM AND SHE'S A MEMBER OF
OUR STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION AND
NEXT TO SUE IS DR. JOHNSON, GENE
JOHNSON AND HE'S SUPER INTEND
EVER THE SHAWNEE PUBLIC MISSION
SCHOOLS AND TO MY RIGHT IS
DR. DAVID SMITH, CHIEF OF STAR
FOR THE KANSAS CITY KANSAS
PUBLIC SCHOOL.
SO I BELIEVE WE'LL HAVE GREAT
PERSPECTIVES TONIGHT FOR LET'S
TALK ISSUES ABOUT THE CHALLENGES
FACING EDUCATION, BUT PERHAPS
SOME OF OUR SUCCESSS AND
OPPORTUNITIES AND I'D LIKE TO
JUST START A LITTLE BIT ON OUR
SUCCESSES BECAUSE JOHNSON COUNTY
AND THIS AREA WAS BUILT ON
QUALITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
GENE WAS TALKING ABOUT THE
SHAWNEE MISSION POINT OF VIEW
WHAT DO YOU SEE AS SOME OF THE
SUCCESSES SEE HAPPEN NOTHING
PUBLIC EDUCATION?
>> WELL FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE IN
SHAWNEE MISSION, OUR GOAL IS TO
MAKE SURE THAT WHEN OUR STUDENTS
WALK ACROSS THE STAGE AT
GRADUATION, THAT THEY'RE READY
FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THEIR LIFE
AND SO, THAT'S WHAT WE'RE ALL
ABOUT AND I KNOW EVERYBODY ELSE
HERE, WITH THE PANEL HAS GOT
THAT SAME GOAL, SO YOU KNOW
WE'VE OVER THE LAST MANY YEARS
HAVE PUT TOGETHER PROGRAMS THAT
WILL ALLOW STUDENTS TO GET SOME
REALLY GOOD TRAINING AND
OPPORTUNITIES SO THAT WHEN THEY
TAKE THAT NEXT STEP, THEY HAVE A
PRETTY GOOD IDEA OF WHAT THEY'RE
GETTING INTO, SO WE'VE GOT
OPPORTUNITIES FOR OUR HIGH
SCHOOL STUDENTS IN THE AREA OF
PREENGINEERING, CENTER FOR
INTERNATIONAL STUDIES,
BIOTECHNOLOGY, PRELAW,
PREMEDICAL, BIOMEDICAL HEALTH
SCIENCES, WE HAVE COLLEGE NOW
OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENT,
CULINARY ARTS OPPORTUNITIES,
PLUS SOME VERY HIGH LEVEL
OPPORTUNITIES SUCH AS
INTERNATIONAL BACK LARIATE AND
WE IS--BACCALAUREATE AND WE
STARTED THAT PROGRAM 18 OR 19
YEARS AGO IN 1 SCHOOL AND IT--WE
MOVED IT TO 2 SCHOOLS A COUPLE
OF YEARS AGO AND NEXT YEAR WE'LL
GO TO OUR THIRD SCHOOL SO THAT'S
BIG FOR US AND LAST YEAR WE HAD
267 OF OUR STUDENTS IN THE
DISTRICT THAT WERE NAMED AS
ADVANCED PLACEMENT SCHOLARS IN
THE STATE WHICH WAS GREAT FOR US
AND WE'VE HAD HIGH SCHOOLS NAMED
AS BEST HIGH SCHOOLS IN NEWS
WEEK AND WASHINGTON POST.
BUT AGAIN THE GOAL IS WE WANT
OUR STUDENTS TO COME BACK AND
TELL US YOU KNOW YOU DID A GREAT
JOB FOR US AND WE'RE MAKING IT
AT THE NEXT LEVEL, WHATEVER THAT
MIGHT BE.
COLLEGE, WORKFORCE, WHATEVER A
STUDENT MIGHT CHOOSE.
>> YOU KNOW SHAWNEE MISSION HAS
BEEN THE LARGEST SCHOOL DISTRICT
IN THE COUNTY FOR A LONG TIME
AND IT'S HAD A RICH TRADITION
AND I'LL TURN TO DR. BERRY,
OLATHE SCHOOL DISTRICT NOW, THE
LARGEST IN JOHNSON COUNTY AND I
BELIEVE IN THE METROAREA AND YOU
WANT TO JUST HIGHLIGHT A FEW
SUCCESSES WE'RE SEE NOTHING
PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATION IN
OLATHE.
>> SURE, PAT.
WE'RE PROUD OF A LOT OF PROGRAMS
IN OLATHE BUT ONE I WANT TO
FOCUS ON FOR A MOMENT ACROSS THE
COUNTRY AS WELL AS IN THE STATE
OF KANSAS OBVIOUSLY THERE,'S A
LOT OF TALK ABOUT NARROWING THE
ACHIEFMENT GAP AND THAT'S NOT
ONLY A GAP FROM TOP TO BOTTOM
AND SOMETIMES THERE NEEDS TO BE
A FOCUS IN THE MIDDLE, SO OLATHE
HAD A LONG TIME PROGRAM, THE
AVID PROGRAM A. V. I.D.
ADVANCEMENT VIA INDIVIDUAL
DETERMINATION, IT'S A NATIONAL
RESEARCH BASED BASED PROGRAM
THAT TARGETS KIDS IN THE MIDDLE
AND TRIES TO PROVIDE THE EXTRA
STRUCTURE AND SUPPORT AND SKILLS
SO THAT THEY CAN HAVE ACCESS AND
SUCCESS IN COLLEGE.
AND SO, AGAIN, IT'S A WONDERFUL
PROGRAM THAT WE HAVE IN OTHER
DISTRICTS I KNOW HAVE IT AS WELL
BUT JUST A COUPLE QUICK STORIES
WITH FIRST THINGS ONLY.
DANIEL CAME TO OUR SCHOOL
DISTRICT FOUR YEARS AGO, COULD
NOT SPEAK ENGLISH, ENROLLED
PURELY IN E. L. L. PROGRAMS AND
THROUGH THE AVID PROGRAM HE GETS
INTO ADVANCED PLACEMENT COURSES,
DID WELL ACADEMICALLY AND DID
WELL AT JOHNSON COUNTY COMMUNITY
COLLEGE AND DOING WELL
ACADEMICALLY.
ANOTHER YOUNG LADY, VERY AVERAGE
STUDENT GETTING Cs, GOT
CLICKED IN WITH THE AVID
PROGRAM, ENROLL INDEED ADVANCE
PLACEMENT CLASSES, NOW GETTING
As AND THE TEACHER SAYS THE
GIRL'S WORKING HER TAIL OFF
LITERALLY IN TERMS OF, IT'S JUST
A CONNECTION THAT KIDS HAVE.
THE SUPPORT STRUCK NUR MANY
CASES, THESE ARE THE FIRST KIDS
IN THEIR FAMILY THAT HAVE GONE
TO COLLEGE, BUT WE HAVE SUCCESS
STORY AFTER SUCCESS STORY OF
KIDS THAT ARE IN COLLEGE NOW
WRITING BACK, SAYING I'M STILL
USING THE SKILLS I LEARNED IN
THAT PROGRAM.
BUT IT'S REALLY A REFRESHING
SIGHT TO SEE THOSE KIDS THAT ARE
IN THE MIDDLE THAT MAYBE
WOULDN'T HAVE GONE TO COLLEGE
AND THEY GOT HOOKED INTO THE
AVID PROGRAM AND REALLY TAKE
OFF.
AND CAVE EDUCATIONAL FROM KANSAS
CITY, KANSAS YOU HAVE SUCCESSFUL
PROJECTS GOING ON THERE AND YOU
WANT TO SHARE SOMETHING SPECIFIC
WITH US TODAY?
>> SURE, I'D LOVE TO BUT I WANT
TO START WITH SORT OF OUR
HISTORY OF WHERE WE'VE COME FROM
BECAUSE WE--15 YEARS AGO WHEN WE
BEGAN OUR FIRST THINGS FIRST
REFORM EFFORT.
WE WERE A DISTRICT THAT WAS
REALLY STRUGGLING ACADEMICALLY.
WE ONLY HAD 11% OF OUR STUDENTS
PROFICIENT IN READING AND THREE%
IN MATH, WE HAVE DONE SINCE THAT
TIME ONE REFORM EFFORT.
WE'VE BEEN DOING THE SAME THING
IN ALL OF OUR BUILDINGS AND
WE'VE GONE FROM 11% PROFICIENCY
IN READING TO 68% AND IN MATH
FROM THREE% TO 67%.
SO, ACROSS THE SYSTEM, WE'VE
RAISED THE ACHIEVEMENT OF OF OUR
STUDENTS, WE'VE DONE IT BY
FOCUSING ON BUILDING
RELATIONSHIPS WITH OUR STUDENTS
AND THEIR FAMILIES AND ALSO
FOCUSING ON CHANGING
INSTRUCTION.
WE'RE NOW AT THE POINT WHERE WE
SEE OURSELVES MOVING FROM BEING
A GOOD URBAN DISTRICT AND THOSE
KIND OF RESULTS ARE HARD TO FIND
ANYWHERE TO MOVING INTO BEING A
GOOD DISTRICT AND AN EXCELLENT
DISTRICT.
WE'RE DOING THINGS LIKE WE'VE
GIVEN EVERY ONE OF OUR HIGH
SCHOOL STUDENTS A LAPTOP
COMPUTER, A Mc BOOK BECAUSE WE
THAN OUR STUDENTS WILL BE ABLE
TO BE PRODUCTIVE IN WHATEVER
COMES NEXT FOR THEM AND
COMPUTERS WILL BE PART OF THEIR
WORLD.
MANY OF OUR STUDENTS BECAUSE WE
HAVE 87% OF OUR STUDENTS
ELIGIBLE FOR FREE REDUCED LUNCH
DON'T HAVE ACCESS AT HOME SO AS
A SCHOOL DISTRICT, WE FEEL THE
RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVIDE THOSE
THINGS AND MAKE SURE OUR KIDS
CAN USE THEM TO BE PRODUCTIVE.
>> THAT'S GREAT.
SUE, YOU'RE A STATE BOARD MEMBER
AND YOUR JOB IS TO REALLY LOOK
OUT FOR THE ENTIRE STATE OF
KANSAS AND YOU V MAY HAVER
SPECIAL SPECTIVE HERE.
>> I'M EXCITED TO HEAR WHAT
EVERYBODY'S DOING BUT THIS KIND
OF THING IS HAPPENING ALL OVER
THE STATE THERE,'S GOOD
EDUCATION, GOOD INSTRUCTION
GOING ON EVERYWHERE AND THE AVID
PROGRAM IS USED IN ALL PLACES
AND I'D LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT
IT.
I WOULD LIKE TO TALK FOR A
MINUTE ABOUT STATE ASSESSMENT
AND WHAT WE'RE DOING.
WELL, JUST ONE LITTLE PIECE OF
DATA THAT JUST SURPRISES ME,
THERE ARE FIVE LEVELS OF
COMPETENCY ON THE STATE
ASSESSMENTS AND THE TOP TWO ARE
MEET AND EXCEED STANDARDS AND
EXEMPLARY.
IN BOTH READING AND MATH, THE
HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF STUDENTS
ARE AT THE EXEMPLARY LEVEL.
THERE'S MORE KIDS IN THE
EXEMPLARY LEVEL THAN IN ACADEMIC
WARNING, APPROACH STANDARDS,
MEET STANDARDS OR EXCEED
STANDARDS.
THAT'S JUST AMAZING TO ME
BECAUSE WE WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT
THOSE SCHOOLS OR DISTRICTS THAT
DIDN'T MAKE A. U. IMPLETE P. HAD
WHEN 32% OF OUR STUDENTS ARE
EXEMPLARY, THAT'S EVEN BETTER
THAN EXCEEDED STAND ARDS IN
READING AND 30% IN MATH.
THAT'S JUST AMAZING.
WE HAVE PUT IN PLACE A KANSAS
LEARNING NETWORK.
THAT WE CONTRACT WITH AN OUTSIDE
AGENCY BUT THEIR ESTATE PEOPLE
WHO ARE WORKING ON THE TEAMS AND
IT'S OUR PLAN TO ASSIST SCHOOLS
LATER ON HAVE IMPROVE AND WANT
THEY HAVEN'T MADE THE ANNUAL
YARD-LINE PROGRESS YEARS
RUNNING.
I WANT TO GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE,
LIBERAL TRANSIENT POPULATION,
73% LATINO AND IN ONE OF THEIR
SCHOOLS THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH
CAUCASIANS TO MAKE IT A
SUBGROUP.
ISN'T THAT INTERESTING?
THEY'VE BEEN ON IMPROVEMENT FOR
SIX YEARS AND THEN THE LAST TWO
OR THREE THEY'VE BEEN WORKING
WITH THE LEARNING NETWORK.
COMPARING THEIR SCORES FROM
2008-2011, THEY INCREASED SCORES
FROM 66-82% PROFICIENCY AND
62-77% IN MATH AND THOSE ELS
STUDENTS, A LARGE PART OF THAT
73%, THEIR SCORE VS GONE FROM 56
TO 75% PROFICIENCY IN READING
AND 57-73% IN MATH.
THERE'S SO MANY SCHOOL DISTRICTS
ARE JUST REALLY TAKEN HOLD OF
THINGS AND ARE REALLY WORKING TO
IMPROVE STUDENTS.
ANOTHER THING THAT'S HAPPENING,
GENE MENTIONED OUR SIGNATURE
PROGRAM, BUT THAT'S HAPPENING
ALL OVER THE STATE WITH SCHOOL
STEPPING UP TO BE SURE THAT
STUDENTS ARE COLLEGE AND CAREER
READY WHEN THEY GRADUATE.
BLUE VALLEY HAS A GREAT PROGRAM.
AND Mc FIERCEON'S MAKING MOVES
AND KANSAS CITY, KANSAS AND THE
BUDGET CRISIS WE'RE IN, IT'S
EXCITING TO SEE THAT WE'RE
MOVING AHEAD WITH WHAT NEEDS TO
BE DONE.
>> YOU KNOW BLAKE, YOU REPRESENT
A LOT OF TEACHERS IN THE STATE
OF KANSAS HA'S THE ROLE OF
TEACHENER A SUCCESSFUL EDUCATION
FOR STUDENTS?
>> WELL, YOU KNOW THAT'S AN
INTERESTING QUESTION BECAUSE
WHEN YOU ASK ABOUT SUCCESSES, I
CAN HEAR MY COLLEAGUES AROUND
THE STATE AND THE STORIES THAT
THEY WOULD TELL, WOULD BE THOSE
INDIVIDUAL SUCCESS STORIES.
SOMETIMES, THE STORY OF A
STUDENT WHO MAY BE WAS KEPT IN
SCHOOL THAT WAS THINKING OF
DROPPING OUT, AND THERE'S ALSO
THOSE GREAT SUCCESS STORIES OF
THE STUDENT, I HAD A YOUNG MAN
WHO AS A SOPHOMORE IN COLLEGE,
CONTACTED ME THAT HE HAD WRITTEN
SOFTWARE AND I'M A COMPUTER
SCIENCE TEACHER AND HE WAS PAID
TWO MILLION DOLLAR FOR THAT, AND
I'M THINKING, MAYBE I CHOSE THE
WRONG CAREER.
BUT ACTUALLY TEACHERS ACROSS THE
STATE BELIEVE THEY CHOSE THE
RIGHT CAREER TO MAKE A
DIFFERENCE AND RIGHT NOW WHAT WE
SEE ACROSS THE STATE IS IN THESE
DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIMES,
TEACHERS ARE SO COMMITTEDDED TO
INCREASING THEIR OWN
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT.
TO INSURE THEY'RE INTEGRATING
21st CENTURY SKILLS SO WE'RE
NOT JUST DOING WELL IN THE STATE
ASSESSMENTS BUT WE'RE MAKING
SURE THE STUDENTS FEEL READY AS
YOU SAY FOR THE NEXT PHASE OF
LIFE AND I COULDN'T--I WOULD BE
REMISS IF I DID NOT MENTION THAT
MANY TEACHERS JUST GOT WORD THIS
PAST WEEK THAT THEY SUCCESSFULLY
COMPLETED THEIR BOARD
CERTIFICATION AND ONE OF THOSE
INDIVIDUALS THAT I KNOW
PERSONALLY, JUST RENEW TED HER
NATIONAL BOARD CERTIFICATION AND
THAT'S THE VICE PRESIDENT OF
KANSAS NEA, KAREN GOD FREE,
RETURNED TO HER CLASSROOM TO DO
THAT WORK EVEN THOUGH SHE'S ON
RELEASE TIME TO HELP DO
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR
TEACHERS ALL ACROSS THE STATE.
>> WE'VE SEEN OVER, YOU KNOW THE
YEARS PARTICULARLY IN THE LAST
10, A LOT OF CHANGE IN THE NEEDS
OF YOUNG PEOPLE IN OUR STATE,
CHANGES IN CHILDREN COMING WHO
MIGHT NOT HAVE ENGLISH AS A
PRIMARY LANGUAGE, INCREASE IN
POVERTY, CHILDREN THAT MAY NOT
HAVE A SUPPORT SYSTEMS AND WE
ALSO HAVE A MORE MOBILE SOCIETY
WHERE CHILDREN ARE NOT JUST
STAYING FROM KINDERGARTEN TO
GRADE 12 AND ONE DISTRICT WITH
THAT INHERENT CONTINUITY THAT'S
BUILT IN AND AS I HEARD TODAY,
WE'RE SEEING MORE INTENTIONAL
INSTRUCTIONAL STRAIT KNOWLEDGEYS
THAT ARE--STRATEGIES THAT ARE
RESEARCH BASED AND FOCUS INDEED,
I HEARD YOU TALK ABOUT THE
SUCCESSES YOU HAVE FOR TRYING TO
PREPARE KIDS FOR THE NEXT STEP.
YOU KNOW THE WORKFORCE HAD
CHALLENGES RIGHT NOW AND THERE'S
BEEN SOME DISCUSSION THAT SOME
OF OUR WORKFORCE IS NOT PREPARED
FOR THE 21st CENTURY SKILL AND
YOU SIGHTED PROGRAMS EARLIER AND
ARE THERE ANY PARTNERSHIPS OUT
THERE THAT YOU KNOW WE HAVE
GOING WITH BUSINESS, INDUSTRY
AND OTHERS, OR HIGHER ED, THAT
PUBLIC AND OUR AUDIENCE MIGHT
NOT BE AWARE OF OF THAT OUR
STUDENTS GET ACCESS TOO OR HELP
MAKE THAT A SMOOTH TRANSITION?
I'LL TAKE A VOLUNTEER.
>> WE CAN TALK ABOUT WHAT WE'RE
DOING IN KANSAS CITY KANSAS.
WE THAT WILL EVERY ONE OF OUR
STUDENTS NEEDS TO GRADUATE WITH
BOTH, SOME KIND OF INTERNSHIP
EXPERIENCE BUT ALSO WITH COLLEGE
CREDIT AND YOU WORK WITH THE
KANSAS CITY KANSAS COMMUNITY
COLLEGE AND DON OLDER PEOPLEY
COLLEGE AND--DON OLDERNALY COLLD
MANY WHO ARE GOING TO BE FIRST
GENERATION COLLEGE GOERS, WE
THINK THEY NEED THAT EXPERIENCE
OF BEING SUCK SEGSFUL IN A
COLLEGE CLASS BEFORE A GET READY
TO LEAVE US SO WE'VE GOT THOSE
PARTNERSHIPS THAT WORK WITH
COMPANIES TO DO INTERNSHIPS, WE
HAVE KIDS AND WHAT I LOVE ABOUT
TURNER IS THEY DO REAL WORK.
THEY GET TO BE PART OF A PROJECT
TEAM, THEY WORK ON A REAL PROG
EXPECT WHEN THEY'RE DONE THEY
POINT TO THAT SOLUTION AND SAY,
YOU KNOW, I DID THAT.
THAT'S PART OF WHO I AM.
WE DO A LOT OF WORK WITH
BUSINESS AND WITH OUR HIGHER
EDUCATION STUDENTS.
>> I LIKE THAT IT TAKES
PARTNERSHIPS TODAY AND MEET
CHALLENGES AND THEY REALLY ROLL
WITH AN EDUCATION AND OLATHE
WE'RE SO PLEASED THAT WE HAVE
THOSE PARTNERS ONE OF THE MOST
RECENT WOULD BE IN OUR 21st
CENTURY SKILLS PROGRAM, AND IT'S
AS PART, AS YOU KNOW IN SOUTHERN
JOHNSON COUNTY WE'RE PART OF
THAT ANIMAL HEALTH CORRIDOR AND
WE HAVE A LOT HAPPENING THERE
AND A NEW PROGRAM THAT'S ANIMAL
HEALTH AND OUR KIDS GET THE
CHANCE TO WORK WITH THOSE AND
WORK ALONG SIDE A VET AND LEARN
TO DO TECH RESEARCH BUT IT GIVES
THEM A PEEK AT'VE IN AN AREA OF
SCIENCE TO KNOW THEY WANT TO GO
THAT WAY WHEN THEY GET TO
COLLEGE.
SECOND ONE I HEARD ABOUT TODAY,
ANOTHER STORY FROM IT IS WITH
OUR OLATHE MEDICAL CENTER WITH
CAMPUS AND BRIDGING EDUCATION
MEDICINE AND WE HAVE KIDS AND
THEY'RE GETTING TO SHADOW
DOCTORS AND HOSPITAL EIGHT TO 10
HOURS A WEEK INCLUDING BEING IN
SURGERY.
THEY CAN STAND RIGHT NEXT TO A
SURGEON AND THIS YOUNG MAN IN
SPORTS MEDICINE HAS GOTTEN THIS
REAR, A COMPLETE KNEE
REPLACEMENT ANDART O SCOPIC
SURGERY AND ON AND ON SO THE
EXPERIENCES KIDS ARE GETTING
MAKES THEM GET TURNED ON FOR
SOME OF THAT LEARNING AND SPARKS
THEM ON FOR LATER LEARNING.
>> I THINK ALSO THE PARTNERS
THAT WE HAVE FOR OUR STUDENTS
THEY'RE AMAZED AT HOW WELL OUR
STUDENTS ARE DOING, WHAT THEY
CAN DO, IT'S REALLY--THAT'S WITH
WE HEAR FROM OUR PARTNERS IS
LIKE IN OUR BIOTECH PROGRAM,
STUDENTS ARE WORKING WITH DNA,
AND THEY'RE GETTING ALL THESE
TREMENDOUS EXPERIENCES IN
MEDICAL, AND IN OTHER AREAS TOO,
BUT I THINK THAT AND WE AND
THOSE ARE BIG HERE IN KANSAS
CITY, DIFFERENT CULINARY ARTS
AND RESTAURANTS, AND KANSAS
CITY, THEY NEED--THEY NEED
PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE
DOING AND BE CREATIVE AND IT'S
AMAZING WHAT STUDENTS CAN DO
WHEN YOU GIST GIVE THEM A
LITTLE--YOU LET THAT LEASH OUT A
LITTLE BIT.
STATEWIDE PARTNERSHIPS THAT I
THINK PEOPLE MIGHT REALLY BE
INTERESTED IN IS LOOKING AT THE
PARTNERSHIP FOR SKILLS AND
LOOKING AT P21-POINT ORGON THE
INTERNET WILL LEAD TO
INFORMATION AND THERE'S PROBABLY
25 OF THE LEADING HIGH-TECH
BUSINESSES IN THE COUNTRY THAT
INITIALLY FORMED THAT
PARTNERSHIP AND KANSAS IT'S BEEN
A REAL LEADER NATIONALLY AS A
PARTICIPANT IN THAT PARTNERSHIP,
THEY EMPHASIZE THAT NOT ONLY IS
IT IMPORTANT THAT STUDENTS HAVE
SOME EXPERIENCE, SEEING WHAT
CAREERS MIGHT HOLD FOR THEM, BUT
TO REALIZE THAT YOU CAN'T
PREPARE ANYONE FOR A CAREER IN
HIGH SCHOOL BECAUSE BY THE TIME
THEY FINISH THEIR POST HIGH
SCHOOL WORK WHETHER IT'S A
TECHNOLOGY SCHOOL OR FOUR YEAR
COLLEGE, THOSE CAREERS ARE GOING
TO HAVE CHANGE.
SO THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS
THAT EMPLOYERS ARE TELLING US
ABOUT IS THAT STUDENTS NEED TO
MASTER THE FOUR Cs.
CRITICAL THINKING.
CREATIVITY, COLLABORATION AND
COMMUNICATION SKILLS.
AND THOSE THINGS NEED TO BE
INTEGRATED THROUGHOUT ALL OF OUR
CURRICULUM, PROJECT BASED LEARN
SUGGEST ONE WAY TO GET TO THAT
AND THE PROJECTS THAT TIE INTO
THE REAL WORLD IN OUR
COMMUNITIES ARE AN EXCEL EPT WAY
TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN.
>> YOU KNOW TO GO TO THE
ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM, THERE HAVE
BEEN A LOT OF BUDGETS THAT HAVE
HAPPENED ACROSS THE STATE OF
KANSAS AS WELL AS CROSS THE
COUNTRY AND OBVIOUSLY EDUCATION
BECAUSE IT IS A MAJOR PART OF
THE STATE BUDGET HAS HAD THOSE
CUTS, I THINK WE'RE INTO WHAT
OUR THIRD YEAR OF CONTINUOUS
CUTTING INTO BUDGETS, LET'S TALK
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT WHAT ARE YOU
SEEING IN CUTS IN YOUR SCHOOL
DISTRICTS AND I'LL GO WITH THE
LOCAL DISTRICTS HERE, YOU KNOW
DR. BERRY WHAT HAVE YOU SEEN IN
THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS IN TERMS
OF DOLLARS AND CENTS CUTS, WE'LL
GO WITH THAT FIRST.
>> I THINK WE'RE TOTALING IT UP
IN MULTIPLIERS BUT IT'S MORE
THAN 20 MILLION DOLLARS FROM THE
OLATHE BUDGET AND IT HAS TO BE
IMPACT INDEED PERSONNEL
UNFORTUNATELY.
WE TRIED TO MAINTAIN AS MANY
PROGRAMS AS WE COULD, BUT WHEN
THE LARGE PART OF OUR BUDGET IS
SALARIES, AND YOU GET CUT THAT
SEVERELY, IT HAS TO IMPACT
PERSONNEL.
SO WE HAVE--WE SAY IT ALL THE
TIME, WE HAVE FEWER PEOPLE
TEACHING MORE KIDS IN OUR CASE
BECAUSE WE HAVE INCREASED
ENROLLMENT AND THAT'S BEEN THE
REAL CHALLENGE FOR US.
>> DO HAVE YOU A NUMBER OF
ADDITIONAL STUDENTS ALATHA HAS
IN THE LAST--OLATHE HAS IN THE
NEXT THREE YEARS.
>> TELL BE AN EXTRA THOUSAND
STUDENTS WE'VE GROWN AT LEAST.
>> THAT GROWTH WILL BE LARGER
PROBABLY A LOT OF SCHOOL
DISTRICTS.
>> PROBABLY.
>> SURE.
>> IT'S ALL PROPORTIONAL.
>> YOU KNOW ACROSS KANSAS SCHOOL
DISTRICTS EVERYWHERE HAVING TO
TRIM AND IT'S JUST AS DIFFICULT,
I'M SURE, BUT WHEN YOU'RE A
GROWING SCHOOL DISTRICT IN
JOHNSON COUNTY IT MAKE ITS EVEN
THAT MUCH HARDER.
>> SO, YOU KNOW THAT'S THE
OLATHE STORY OF GROWTH AND I
KNOW SHAWNEE MISSION STORIES HAS
A DIFFERENT TWIST TO IT AND YOU
WANT TO SHARE THAT DOCTOR?
>> YOU KNOW SHAWNEE MISSION IS A
LONG STANDING SCHOOL DISTRICT
THAT UNIFIED 1969 AND IN 1970 WE
HAD ALMOST 46,000 STUDENTS, 10
YEARS LATER, WE LOST A THOUSAND
STUDENTS A YEAR IN 10 YEARS, SO
SINCE THAT TIME, WE'VE BEEN JUST
SLOWLY DECLINING AND THAT'S JUST
THE NATURE OF OUR POPULATION.
PEOPLE LIKE THE COMMUNITY, THEIR
CHILDREN GRADUATE FRIDAY HIGH
SCHOOL AND THEY STAYED AND SO,
BUT WE ARE NOW KIND OF
FLATTENING OUT, WE'RE GOING TO
BE AT 27,000 FOR THE NEXT EIGHT
OR NINE YEARS, WE'RE PREDICTING
SPECIAL SO THIS YEAR THROUGH OUR
OWN AUDIT AND OF COURSE THERE
WILL BE A STATE AUDIT OF OUR
ENROLLMENT, YOU KNOW WE'RE GOING
TO LOSE ABOUT 50 STUDENTS AND
SO, LAST YEAR, I THINK WE GAINED
ABOUT 25, SOMEWHERE IN THERE, SO
YOU KNOW WE'RE PRETTY GLAD AT
THAT TIME--CROWDED AT THIS TIME
BUT AS FAR AS REDUCTIONS WE'RE
LIKE OLATHE WE'RE ABOUT 29
MILLION DOLLARS IN THE LASTS
THREE YEARS IN REDUCTION, LESS
TEACHERS, LESS CLASSIFIED
PERSONNEL.
JUST AS AN EXAMPLE, WE'VE CUT
BACK OUR CUSTODIAL STAFF SO MUCH
THAT OUR CLASSROOMS ARE CLEANED
EVERY THREE DAYS NOW.
OUR RESTROOMS AND MAJOR AREAS
ARE CLEANED EVERY DAY NATURALLY,
BUT OUR STUDENTS ARE DOING A
GREAT JOB WITH THAT, OUR
TEACHERS ARE DOING A GREATS JOB
WITH THAT AND MAKING
ACCOMMODATIONS WITHIN THEIR
SCHOOL TO MAKE SURE THAT
EVERYTHING'S FINE THERE BUT
THAT'S JUST AN EXAMPLE OF SOME
VERY SEVERE REDUCTIONS THAT
WE'VE ALL GONE THROUGH AND YOU
KNOW MARLIN'S CORRECT.
YOU KNOW ALL OF US ARE SPENTING
85-89% OF OUR BUDGETS ON
PERSONNEL SO WHEN YOU CUT THAT
MUCH OUT OF YOUR BUDGET IT'S
PEOPLE.
>> AND I THINK THAT WE'RE A
PEOPLE BUSINESS.
WHAT ABOUT CASEY, WHAT HAS BEEN
THE IMPACT FOR YOU THERE?
>> WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THE SAME
STRUGGLES AS OTHER DISTRICTS IN
THE AREA, WE OVER THE PAST SIX
YEARS HAVE OUR DOWN 63 MILLION
DOLLAR, SO IT'S A TREMENDOUS HIT
AND LIKE DR. BERRY AND
DR. JOHNSON, IT'S ABOUT PEOPLE.
YOU HAVE TO GO, BUT ALSO LIKE
THEM I'M SHIRR YOU WORK VERY
HARD TO KEEP THAT FROM THE
CLASSROOM AS MUCH AS YOU
POSSIBLY CAN SO YOU END UP
CUTTING OTHER THINGS, PROBABLY
MORE THAN WOULD BE WARRANTIED
JUST TO TRY TO AVOID IMPACTING
KIDS DIRECTLY SO OPERATING
GLOBALLY RAPPINGSS AND THOSE
KIND OF THINGS ALWAYS SEEM TO
SUFFER.
CENTRAL OFFICE AND THE SUPPORT
STAFF THAT HELPS SCHOOLS TO DO
THEIR WORK WELL, HAVE BEEN CUT
SEVERELY.
IT'S BEEN HARD, BUT THE OTHER
PART OF THAT IS WHO YOU
UNDERSTAND IS THE STANDARDS
CONTINUE TO INCREASE AND AS A
STATE AND AS DISTRICTS WE'VE ALL
CONTINUED TO MOVE FORWARD, EVEN
WITH LESS FUNDING, BUT IT'S BEEN
A REAL STRUGGLE, YOU WONDER
WHETHER WE CAN KEEP GOING.
>> I THINK THAT'S KIND OF A AN
INTERESTING TOPIC BECAUSE THE
FUNDING AS BEEN REDUCED BUT SO
FAR, THE PERFORMANCE AT LEAST -
THE MEASURES WE USE SEEM TO BE
BEHOLDING.
WHAT'S YOUR WORRY ABOUT THAT?
I MEAN, WHY IS THAT HAPPENING?
ANYONE WANT TO JUMP IN?
>> ALL OF US BECAUSE WHY WE'RE
IN THIS BUSINESS, WE ARE
DETERMINED NOT TO LET THE
ACTIONS OF OTHERS IMPACT THE
FUTURES OF OUR KIDS.
SO WE'RE GOING TO DO WHATEVER WE
HAVE TO, TAKE WHATEVER KINDS OF
PAIN WE HAVE TO.
THE CHALLENGE BECOMES AT SOME
POINT, YOU'RE DONE WITH THE
CUTTING OF FAT AND FOR ALL OF US
THAT'S BEEN AIER OR TWO WHERE WE
FINISHED CUTTING ANY POSSIBLE
FAT WE HAD SO NOW YOU'RE CUTTING
INTO THINGS THAT REALLY MATTER.
YOU'RE ALSO CUTTING INTO THE
KINDS OF THINGS YOU WANT TO
DEVELOP TO GET YOU POSITIONED
FOR THE FUTURE AND FOR THE KIT
WHO IS ARE--KIDS WHO ARE COMING
THROUGH AND THAT KIND OF FUTURE
PLANNING AFTER A WHILE IF YOU
CUT THAT WHEN THE FUTURE COMES
YOU'RE NOT READY FOR IT.
>> SO DO WE HAVE DEFERRED
MAINTENANCE, DO WE HAVE DEFERRED
OPPORTUNITIES.
>> PURCHASES, THERE'S A LONG
LIST OF THINGS THAT WE'RE DOING
WITHOUT, AS DAVID SAID JUST SO
WE CAN FOCUS AND KEEP IT GOING
IN THE CLASSROOM AS MUCH AS WE
CAN.
>> I THINK DAVID BROUGHT UP A
REALLY GOOD POINT ON PLANNING
FOR THE FUTURE AND I THINK IN
THE SITUATION THAT WE'RE IN,
RIGHT NOW, IT'S HARDER FOR US TO
PLAN FOR THE FUTURE AND BECAUSE
THAT'S THE NATURE OF WHAT WE DO
IN EDUCATION, WE'RE ALWAYS
LOOKING AHEAD.
WHAT CAN WE DO BETTER?
AND EVEN THOUGH WE CAN STILL
HAVE THOSE CONVERSATIONS AND
PLAN, IT'S BEEN VERY HARD
FORITOUS INITIATE NEW PROGRAMS,
TO DO SOME OF THE THINGS THAT WE
WOULD NORMALLY BE ABLE TO DO.
AND ONE OTHER POINT, I THINK IS
IMPORTANT HERE WHEN IT COMES TO
THE ONGOING SUCCESS IN SPITE OF
REAL FINANCIAL CHALLENGES, IT'S
BEEN, I THINK WE'VE RECEIVED
SOME VERY EXCELLENT SUPPORT FROM
THE STATE DEPARTMENT IN AREAS
SUCH AS MULTITIER SYSTEMS OF
SUPPORT WHERE WE'VE REALLY
LEARNED HOW TO ANALYZE DATA,
ANALYZE STUDENTS, THE STORIES
THAT SUE TOLD ABOUT LIBERAL AND
THAT DAVID TOLD ABOUT HIS SCHOOL
DISTRICT GOING FROM THREE% TO
67%, THAT DOESN'T JUST HAPPEN.
PEOPLE HAVE TO WORK VERY SMART,
VERY HARD AND I REALLY BELIEVE
THAT PEOPLE HAVE--YOU KNOW
THEY'VE STUCK WITH THE COURSE,
THEY HAVEN'T FALLEN OFF OR JUST
FRIED TO GRAB SOME NEW STRATEGY
AND TRY TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE
THAT MIGHT WORK.
WE'VE STAYED WITH IT, AND I
THINK IT'S BEEN BENEFICIAL TO
US.
BUT, IT'S RESULTED IN A
TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF EFFORT BY
FEWER PEOPLE.
>> THE OTHER THING I WOULD LIKE
TO ADD AND I KNOW BLAKE WILL
WANT TO JUMP IN HERE IS THAT
WITH THESE CUTS WE'VE SEEN, WE
HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO
GIVE--PARTICULARLY OUR TEACHING
STAFF BUT ALL OF OUR STAFF THE
KINDS OF RAISES AND INCREASES
THAT WE SHOULD BE GIVING THEM
AND WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO
ATTRACT THE BEST AND THE
BRIGHTEST INTO THIS PROFESSION
AND IT GETS HARDER AND HARDER AS
THE SALARY STAGNATES AND I KNOW
THAT'S SOMETHING YOU SEE ACROSS
THE STATE.
>> I CAN CERTAINLY ADD TO THAT
AND I WOULD BE REMISS IF I
DIDN'T.
THERE ARE COLLEAGUES AROUND THE
STATE THAT MAKE SURE I MENTION
THAT BUT I ALSO THINK THAT MOST
TEACHERS BELIEVE THAT THE
IMPACT--EXCUSE ME EVEN ON THINGS
THAT ARE SUPPOSE EDLY NOT A
CLASSROOM IMPACT, THOSE IN MANY
CASES ARE HAVING A PROFOUND
IMPACT ON THE WORK OF TEACHERS
AND OF STUDENTS AND AROUND THE
STATE I'VE HEARD STORIES ABOUT
DISTRICT THAT REDUCED THE NUMBER
OF BUSS AND BUS DRIVERS, SO THEY
LINKED THE BUS ROUTES SO
STUDENTS PARTICULARLY IN I RURAL
DISTRICT WERE ON THE BUS INSTEAD
OF 20 MINUTES ON THE MORNING
THEY WERE ON THE BUS FOR 45
MINUTES IN THE MORNING.
SOME PLACES WHERE THEY CUT ART
AND MUSIC PROGRAMS, MORE
FREQUENTLY PLACES WHERE THEY
REDUCED ACCESS TO LIBRARY MEDIA
IN THE STAFF.
SOMETIMES ELIMINATING ALL THE
LIBRARY MEDIA PERSONNEL IN THE
DISTRICT THAT HAD THE TRAINING
TO HELP STUDENTS WITH THOSE
21st CENTURY SKILLS FOR
RESEARCH THAT WE TALKED ABOUT.
THE CLASS SIZE, IF WE'RE TRYING
TO GET TO 21stCEPTORY SKILLS
KINDS OF--CENTURY SKILLS, KINDS
OF PROJECTS IN OUR CLASS AND THE
NUMBER OF STUDENT SYSTEM
INCREASING THEN WE GO BACK TO
PROBABLY MORE SIMPLISTIC
TEACHING METHODS THAT ARE GOING
TO GET THE BROADEST REACH TO ALL
OF OUR STUDENTS BUT MISS THOSE
OPPORTUNITIES FOR THOSE
INDIVIDUAL ICED CONNECTIONS THAT
REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR
INDIVIDUAL STUDENTS.
SO, I THINK SOME OF THE CUTS
THAT ARE THERE, THEY ARE THE
MOST WELL INTENTIONED BUT THEY
DO HAVE AN IMPACT EVEN IN THE
CLASSROOMS.
>> AND SUE, I WANT TO GIVE
EVERYBODY A CHANCE TO SPEAK ON
THIS.
>> I CAN JUST REPEAT THE SAME
THING THAT BLAKE IS TALKING
ABOUT AND DAVID AND GENE AND
MARLIN.
>> SO - WHEN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT
WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT FACING
RIGHT NOW, RECENTLY IT IS
GOVERNOR DID PROPOSE A NEW
FUNDING PLAN FOR THE STATE AND I
RECOGNIZE THAT THERE'S NOT A LOT
OF DETAIL YET FOR THAT PLAN, BUT
LET'S TALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT
WHAT WE THINK WE KNOW ABOUT THAT
PLAN BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE A
DEPARTURE FROM THE FORMULA
THAT'S BEING USED NOW AND USED
SINCE THE EARLY 90S AND I DON'T
KNOW IF ANYBODY WANTS TO STEP
OUT ON THIS ONE FIRST, BUT,
DR. BERRY YOU WANT TO TAKE AN
EFFORT AT THIS.
>> I CAN'T SPEAK FOR ALL SCHOOL
SUPER INTENDANTS AND
ADMINISTRATORS IN KANSAS BUT
MANY TIMES WE TAKE OUR CUE TBRS
DALE DENNIS AT THE STATE
DEPARTMENT AND ONE OF THE FIRST
THINGS HE HAS SAID IS HE'S NOT
GOING TO COMMENT ON BECAUSE WE
HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING SO THAT'S
NUMBER ONE AND I'M TRYING TO
OPTIMISTIC THAT MAYBE WITH
WHO-FIC WE TAKE A ELECTRIC AT IT
AND A RUN IS MADE, A COMPUTER
RUN TO SEE HOW SCHOOL DISTRICTS
COME OUT, WE'LL BE ABLE TO REACT
TO IT A BIT MORE.
WE KEEP HEARING THAT IT IS
REVENUE NEUTRAL WHICH MEANS THE
SCHOOL DISTRICTS WILL BE HELD
HARMLESS AND SO FORTH BUT IN THE
PIECES WE'VE HEARD BIT'S GOING
TO BE VERY DIFFICULT IN MY
OPINION TO NOT HAVE CUTS HAPPEN
TO SCHOOL DISTRICTS DEPENDING ON
HOW THAT MONEY'S GIVEN OUT.
IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THE MAYBE
THE WAITING WOULD GO AWAY BUT
THE MONEY IS GOING TO SCHOOL
DISTRICTS
DISTRICTS AND THERE WOULD BE ONE
FOR AT RISK, OPERATING AND
TRANSFORATION AND SO FORTH,
INNOVATION, WHICH AGAIN TELLS ME
IF IT'S BEING SPLIT DIFFERENTLY
AND IT'S THE SAME POOL OF MONEY,
SOMEBODY'S BOUND TO END UP BEING
A LOSER AND OTHERS MAY BE
STAYING NEUTRAL IN IT.
SO AGAIN FOR ME RIGHT NOW, TOO
MANY MOVING PIECES TO KNOW
EXACTLY HOW OUR SCHOOL DISTRICT
MIGHT COME OUT.
>> FROM OUR POINT OF VIEW, WE
WOULD SUPPORT JUST THE CONCEPT
OF LOOKING AT ANOTHER TYPE OF OF
FUNDING FORMULA AND I THINK
RIGHT NOW, I WOULD TOTAL AGREE
WITH MARLIN THAT YOU KNOW, WE
DON'T KNOW WHAT THE DETAILS ARE
BUT WE ARE FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE
AND OUR SCHOOL DISTRICT, WE'RE
EXCITED ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY TO
AT LEAST LOOK AT SOMETHING
DIFFERENT HERE AND ONCE WE GET
THE DETAILS, THEN WE'LL BE ABLE
TO BETTER WAY IN ON--WEIGH-IN ON
HOW THAT'S AFFECTING EVERYONE.
BECAUSE RIGHT NOW EVERYBODY'S
TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS
REALLY, TRULY, MEANS AND SO
THERE REALLY SUPPORT ANY DATA
BUT FOR US, AND FOR--WE ARE VERY
MUCH IN FAVOR OF HAVING MORE
LOCAL AUTHORITY SO THAT WE--WE
HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CONTROL
OUR OWN DESTINY, BUT ALSO
REALIZING THAT YOU KNOW,
WE'RE--WE HAVE TO KNOW OUR
COMMUNITY AND KNOW HOW OUR
COMMUNITY CAN REACT OR WILL
REACT OR MAY REACT TO INCREASING
MILL LEVEES BECAUSE THAT COULD
BE YOU KNOW AN ISSUE.
BUT AGAIN, IT'S AN OPPORTUNITY
TO LOOK AT SOMETHING THAT MANY
SCHOOL DISTRICT VS BEEN WANTING
TO LOOK AT AND THAT IS MORE
LOCAL AUTHORITY.
THIS LOCAL AUTHORITY TRANSLATE
INTO LOCAL CONTROL?
>> WE HEAR THESE TERMS THROWN A.
LOCAL CONTROL AND MORE LOCAL
AUTHORITY.
ARE WE TALKING ABOUT A SHIFTING
OF TAXES FROM ONE SOURCE THAT
THE STATE MAY BE THROUGH INCOME
TO MORE PROPERTY TAXES AT THE
LOCAL LEVEL, DO WE HAVE
SPECIFICS THAT WE COULD EVEN
IDENTIFY FOR AUDIENCE?
>> WELL, LOCAL AUTHORITY, I
GUESS ONE WAY TO LOOK AT IT IS
THAT YOU'RE ABLE TO RAISE MONEY
LOCALLY THAT STAYS IN YOUR
SCHOOL DISTRICT AND DOESN'T GO
TO THE STATE AND COME BACK AT A
FRACTION OF WHAT YOU SENT AWAY
AND SO, JUST AS AN EXAMPLE, YOU
KNOW WE'VE BEEN DEALING WITH THE
LOCAL OPTION BUDGETS SINCE
ALMOST THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE
FINANCE FORMULA, 1992, IN OUR
SITUATION IN MANY SCHOOL
DISTRICTS IN THE STATE OF
KANSAS, WITHOUT THAT LOCAL
AUTHORITY, THAT'S NOW UP TO 31%
OF YOUR GENERAL OPERATING
BUDGET, I DON'T--YOU KNOW IT
WOULD HAVE BEEN ALMOST
IMPOSSIBLE FOR US TO YOU KNOW
OPERATE OUR SCHOOL DISTRICT IN
THE WAY THAT WE FEEL IT'S
IMPORTANT FOR A STUDENT.
TO US, THE LOCAL AUTHORITY
EQUALS ALMOST 55 MILLION DOLLARS
A YEAR.
>> I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT THOUGH.
THERE'S GOING TO BE A SHIFTING
POETIC TECTIALLY OF THOSE
SOURCES OF TAXES AND YOU KNOW WE
USED TO SAY IN KANSAS A LONG
TIME AGO, IT WAS A THREE LEGGED
STEW AND I'M AFRAID WE HAVE
GOTTEN AWAY FROM THAT, AND NOW
PARTICULARLY WITH TALK ABOUT
MAYBE REDUCING OR ELIMINATING
INCOME TAX IN KANSAS AND THEN
YOU SHIFT THAT TO SAY, OKAY,
SCHOOLS BUT YOU HAVE MORE LOCAL
CONTROL AND IT IS LETTERS LIFT
OFFICE OF DIVERSITY L. O. B. SO
THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO LIFT
IS PROPERTY TAX.
HOW MUCH THAT MIGHT HAVE TO GO
UP TO COMPENSATE FOR THAT.
ADDITIONALLY THE EQUALIZATION
PIECE, THE UNDERSTANDING IS THAT
LIMITED THINGS THAT ARE OUT
THERE, THE LOCAL CONTROL WOULD
NOT BE EQUALIZED AND IN OLATHE
THAT'S CRITICAL TO US BECAUSE WE
GET ABOUT 37-CENTS ON THE
DOLLAR, SO IN OLATHE THERE'S
ACTUALLY MORE STATE THAT COMES
IN THAN--
>> TOTAL BUDGET.
THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT.
WE GET MORE FROM TOPEKA FROM THE
BOTTOM LINE AND THEN WE RAISE
LOCALLY IN TAXES.
>> WE MAY OR MAY NOT BE AWARE
THAT THAT DIFFERENCE WITHIN THE
COUNTY IN TERMS OF COUNTY SCHOOL
DISTRICTS AND STATEWIDE, JUST
THOSE DIFFERENCES HERE AND IT'S
BEEN THE CHALLENGE AND THE STATE
SO YOU SEE THE STATEWIDE
DIFFERENCES, WHAT ARE SOME OF
THE DIFFERENCES ACROSS THE STATE
AND CAN YOU SPEAK AT ALL TO THE
TAX BASE OR TO THE NEEDS?
>> I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A
RESPONSE TO THE GOVERNOR'S PLAN.
>> OKAY, OKAY.
>> THAT IS MARLIN'S RIGHT, WE
HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING ON PAPER.
THE YOUNG MAN FROM THE
GOVERNOR'S OFFICE WHO TOLD US
ABOUT IT AT A RECENT EDUCATION
SUMMIT IN TOPEKA, AND ASKED
ABOUT THE COST OF IT, HE SAID I
VICTORY FIGURED THAT OUT IN MY
HEAD YET.
SO WE HAVEN'T SEEN A RUN OF
ANYTHING.
>> SO IT'S--I UNDERSTAND THAT
LOCAL OPTION CONTROL, THE LOCAL
OPTION AUTHORITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN
APPEALING TO SOME OF THE
DISTRICTS IN JOHNSON COUNTY BUT
WE HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL THAT
WE DON'T END UP WITH THE SAME
KINDS OF INEQUITYS THAT CHANGES
THINGS ALL AROUND IN 1992.
AND THAT AND--AND WE USE TODAY
FOR SURVIVAL BECAUSE THE STATE
DIDN'T KEEP ITS PROMISE ABOUT
SUPPORTING SCHOOLS.
>> I THINK THAT REALLY FOR US,
REALLY IS THE ISSUE.
I DON'T THINK THAT IN CASEY KAY,
WE BELIEVE THE FUNDING IS BROKEN
AS MUCH AS WE BELIEVE THAT THE
STATE HAS KNOTS FULFILLED ITS
OBLIGATION TO FUND EDUCATION
ADEQUATELY.
IF THE FUNDING FORMULA HAD BEEN
FUNDED IN THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS
WE WOULD ALL BE IN A VERY
DIFFERENT POSITION.
BECAUSE FOR US, WINEDOT COUNTY
IS THE POOREST IN THE STATE, THE
IDEA OF PUTTING MORE ON LOCAL
TAXPAYERS IS PROBLEMATIC.
OUR L. O. B. IS SIGNIFICANT
ABOVE THE REST OF THE STATE AND
YET IT BRINGS IN FAR LESS
BECAUSE COMPARED TO COLLEAGUES
IN SHAWNEE MISSION, WE BRING IN
ABOUT A THIRD OF THE RESOURCES
WITH OUR L. O. B., SO IT'S--WE
ALSO AND I WOULD SAY FOR OUR
KIDS, 87% OF WHOM ARE ELIGIBLE
FOR FREE MEALS, LUNCH, FOR THEM
THE RESOURCES THAT COME IN TO
SUPPORT THEIR EDUCATION MAKE
MOREAVE DEFICIENCY IN TERMS OF
THEIR EDUCATION OUTCOMES THAN
FOR OTHER KIDS IN THE STATE
BECAUSE WHAT WE'RE ABLE TO GIVE
THEM IS WHAT THEY HAVE.
IF WE DIDN'T DO OUR ONE TO ONE
LAB TOP PROGRAM, MOST OF THOSE
STUDENTS WOULD HAVE ACCESS TO
THE TECHNOLOGY IN THE HOME SO IT
MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN TERMS
OF THEIR EDUCATIONAL OUTCOMES WE
HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A WAY THE
STATE OF KANSAS TO FIGURE OUT
HOW TO FUND EDUCATION ADQUITLY
FOR ALL DISTRICTS SO THAT
SHAWNEE MISSION CAN DO THE THING
ITS WANTS TO DO AND CASEY KAY
CAN DO WHAT IT NEEDS TO DO FOR
THE KIDS AS WELL.
>> TAKEN--THEY'S THE CHALLENGE.
>> YOU MIGHT WANT TO JUMP IN
HERE TOO.
>> I MAY GIVE ONE CONTRAST AS A
TEACHER IN THE BLUE VALLEY
SCHOOL DISTRICT, I FEEL VERY
BLESSED TO HAVE HAD THE
RESOURCES, THE TECHNOLOGY FOR
THE COMPUTER CLASSES AND THINGS,
AS I BECAME A STATE LEADER,
THOUGH, AND BEGAN TO TRAVEL
AROUND, I REALIZED THAT FOR
INSTANCE IN GOLINA, KANSAS, IT
REQUIRES SIX TIMES AS MUCH OF A
TAX RATE TO RAISE THE SAME
AMOUNT PERPUPIL IN SAY IN
SHAWNEE MISSION WHERE I LIVE AND
RECOGNIZE HOW DIFFICULT THAT IS
FOR MANY SCHOOL DISTRICTS AROUND
THE STATE TO MAKE THOSE KINDS OF
ADJUSTMENTS.
IF WE HAD SIMPLY MAINTAINED
INFLATIONARY INCREASESOT BASED
STATE AID FROM 1992 WHEN THE
FORMULA WAS CREATED THERE WOULD
BE A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF
ADDITIONAL AUTHORITY THAT SCHOOL
DISTRICTS ALL AROUND THIS AREA
COULD BE USING FOR THE KINDS OF
PROG EBLGHTS THEY DESPERATELY
WANT TO DO AND THAT WE WOULD
LIKE TO SEE AVAILABLE TO OUR
CLASSROOMS.
I GUESS THE THING THAT CONCERNS
ME AND WE DON'T HAVE ALL THE
NUMBERS RIGHT NOW, THE
ADDITIONAL CONCERN WOULD BE WHEN
WE LOOK AT THE TAX STRUCTURE.
WE HEARD TALK ABOUT ELIMINATING
THE INCOME TAX, THERE'S PART OF
ME THAT SAYS, BOY THAT SOUNDS
LIKE A GREAT IDEA AND YET WHEN I
LOOK AT THE STATES WHERE THAT
HAS HAPPENED THAT ARE TOUTED AS
EXAMPLES OF HOW WELL IT WORKS,
THE ONLY PLACE ITS WORKED WELL
ARE STATES WHERE THEY HAVE HIGH
SYSTEMS OF TOURISM.
AND SO, AND SO IF WE CAN PUT IN
FEATURES LIKE FLOOR FLOORKS, IT
MIGHT BE SOMETHING THAT WOULD
LIE HERE BUT FOR US WE HAVE TO
LOOK AT MAINTAINING THAT THREE
LEGGED STOOL WITH THE BALANCE OF
TAX FROM VARIOUS SOURCES AND
MAKE SURE THAT EVERY DISTRICT
HAS THE BASELINE, TO INSURE A
QUALITY PUBLIC SCHOOL
REGUARDLESS OF THE ZIP CODE OF
THE STUDENT, YOU KNOW THE STATE
OF KANSAS IS CHALLENGED BY
GEOGRAPHY IN TERMS OF MANY OF
THE DISTRICTS OUT WEST, AND
SOMETIME O SINGLE A PER PUPIL
BASIS, AND EDUCATE THAT CHILD IN
WESTERN KANSAS THAN IT WOULD IN
A MORE URBANIZED AREA IN JOHNSON
COUNTY SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE
CHALLENGES ARE ANY OF YOU
OPTIMISTIC THAT A SOLUTION,
WE'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT FUNDING
FORMULA IN KANSAS PRIOR TO 92,
SINCE '92, DOES ANYONE HAVE AN
IDEA ABOUT WHAT MIGHT--OTHER
THAN PUT NOTHING MORE MONEY
WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE PALLET
ABLE GIVEN THE ECONOMY BECAUSE
THERE MIGHT BE PEOPLE IN THE
AUDIENCE SAYING, WELL, RIGHT NOW
MAY BE THE TIME AND WE MAY NOT
BE ABLE TO PUT MORE MONEY, IS
THERE A MAN OR IDEA OUT THERE
THAT YOU THINK WOULD HELP?
>> WELL, MAYBE THERE'S A
POSSIBILITY THAT UNTIL WE GET
THROUGH THESE FINANCIAL ISSUES
AND UNTIL WE COME TOGETHER ON A
SPECIFIC PLAN, MAYBE THERE'S
OPTIONS OUT THERE THAT COULD BE
TENTAATIVE OR YEAR TO YEAR OR
SOMETHING TO HELP DISTRICTS GET
THROUGH THE ISSUES THAT THEY'RE
DEALING WITH AND I'M NOT SURE
EXACTLY WHAT THOSE ARE, BUT I
THINK THERE MAY BE NUMEROUS
OPPORTUNITIES OUT THERE BUT ALL
OF THAT HAS TO BE PROVED THROUGH
THE LEGISLATURE AND THAT'S BEEN
LOTS OF THINGS DISCUSSED OVER
THE YEARS LIKE YOU SAID BUT WHEN
IT COMES TO OKAY, WHAT'S GOING
TO HAPPEN HERE, IT'S BEEN VERY
DIFFICULT FOR CHANGE TO OCCUR.
>> I WOULD SAY THAT ONE OF THE
THINGS MY SUPER INTEND END SAYS
TO US ALL THE TIME IS WE HAVE
MONEY.
IT'S NOT THAT WE'RE NOT SPENDING
MONEY.
WE ARE, IT'S THAT WE FACE
SIGNIFICANT CUTS BUT WE ALSO
HAVE TO MAKE GOOD CHOICES WITH
THE RESOURCES THAT WE DO HAVE
AND THAT MEANS NOT DOING CERTAIN
THINGS SO WE CAN DO THE THINGS
WE NEED TO DO.
NOW MY COLLEAGUES WOULD AGREE
EDUCATION OUGHT TOO BE THE
NUMBER ONE PRIORITY FOR THE
STATE OF KANSAS.
IT'S THAT--IT'S IN THE
CONSTITUTION AND THAT'S WHERE WE
OUGHT TO BE THINKING FIRST.
USUALLY ENDS UP BEING IT IS LEFT
THING THAT THE STATE DECIDES TO
FUND, IT OUGHT TO BE THE FIRST
THAT'S A LEGISLATIVE CHOICE THAT
I THINK WE NEED TO PUSH OUR
LEGISLATORS FUNDING EDICATION
FIRST IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO
FOR THE STUDENTS BUT ALSO FOR
THE FUTURE OF OUR STATES.
>> WE HAVE LOCAL BOARDS OF
EDUCATION MAKING DECISIONS,
STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION THAT
HELPS SET STANDARDS AND WORKS TO
SUPPORT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE THE
POWER OF THE PURSE BECAUSE THE
STATE BOARD DOES NOT LEVY TAXES
AND SCHOOL DISTRICTS ARE TIED TO
A STATE FORMULA AND THE MAJORITY
OF THE DOLLARS THAT SUPPORTS
SCHOOLS IN KANSAS FOR THE
AUDIENCE AND COMING THROUGH THE
STATE TO THE INDIVIDUAL SCHOOL
DISTRICT, SO WHAT HAPPENS IN
TERMS OF FUNDING MAY NOT TOTALLY
BE UNDER CONTROL OF THE LOCAL
BOARD OF EDUCATION AND MAY NOT
FULLY BE UNDER CONTROL OF THE
STATE BOARD.
THE STATE BOARD CAN MAKE
RECOMMENDATIONS AND THE LOCAL
BOARD CAN GIVE THAT INPUT WHAT
WILL THE PROCESS AND LOOK
NOTHING YOUR KRYSTAL BALL LOOK
LIKE I'M THE GOVERNOR'S PLAN
GOING FORWARD WHAT'S THE TIME
LINE OF ANY OF OUR AUDIENCE
MEMBERS WANT TO SORT OF KEEP
TUNED IN FOR MORE OF THESE
DETAILS AS THEY GET DISCUSSED
AND THE DATA SURFACES, SUE?
>> I WOULD SAY WHATEVER PLAN IS
PUT FORTH BY THE GOVERNOR, BY
THE TIME IT'S FINISHED IT WON'T
LOOK LIKE IT DID WHEN IT
STARTED.
IT WILL KNOW CHANGED
TREMENDOUSLY AND I SUPPOSE, I
HESITATE TO AT A THIS BUT WE'LL
SEE WHERE A LOT OF LEGISLATORS
LOYALTYS REALLY LIE.
WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR SUPPORT
OR LACK OF SUPPORT FOR A NEW
FINANCE PLAN.
IF ANYTHING'S GOING TO GET DONE
IN THE NEXT SESSION, PEOPLE NEED
TO HAVE IT IN FRONT OF THEM NOW.
THAT WOULD BE MY TAKE ON IT.
>> AND FOR CLARIFICATION, WHEN
DOES THE NEXT LEGISLATIVE
SESSION START.
NCS STUDY JANUARY 10th.
>> RIGHT.
>> BETWEEN JANUARY AND THE END
OF MAY.
>> YEAH SOMETIMES MOVING INTO
JUNE BUT TYPICALLY THE TIME THAT
ALL THESE DECISIONS ARE MADE BY
THE LEGISLATURE.
>> YOU WERE GOING TO SAY
SOMETHING?
>> I LONG FOR THE DAY WHEN THE
LEGISLATURE WENT TO TOPEKA AND
MAYBE I'M DARING TO DREAM THAT
THIS EVER HAPPENED WITHOUT
COMING STRICTLY WITH THE GROUP
OF POSITIONS INTO THE ROOM AND
I'M REMEMBERING PEOPLE THAT I
ALWAYS THOUGHT OF AS REAL STATES
MAN, LIKE MARK PARKINSON,
REPUBLICAN AND THEN A DEMOCRAT
AND PART OF THE REASON HE MADE
THOSE CHANGES WAS HIS REAL DEEP
DESIRE TO SOLVE PROBLEMS.
AND TO GET PAST PARTY LINES.
I REMEMBER DAVID ATKINS WAS
ANOTHER SENATOR FROM THE JOHNSON
COUNTY AREA.
THIS IS A TIME WHEN WE NEED
STATESMANSHIP AND PEOPLE WHO
WILL COME WITHOUT POSITION AND
FRANKLY PEOPLE BRING THE RIGHT
PLAYER INTO'S THE ROOM, PEOPLE
LIKE THE SUPER INTENDANTS FROM
THE SCHOOL DISTRICT AND TO HEAR
THE STORIES OF INDIVIDUAL
TEACHERS IN THEIR CLASSROOM AND
SO FAR, THAT'S A PART OF THE
UATION THAT HAS BEEN LARGELY
LEFT OUT OF THE DESIGN, WE CAN
HOPE FOR THE BEST BUT I REALLY
WOULD HOPE THAT IT DOES CHANGE
AND ALONG THE WAY WE HAVE AN
OPPORTUNITY FOR INPUT FROM THE
INTERESTED PARTIES THOSE THAT
KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO DO THE
WORK IN SCHOOLS AND SCHOOL
DISTRICTS.
>> ALMOST SENSITIVE TO THE FACT
THAT THERE'S A SECOND POPULATION
AND--WE HAVE OUR HANDOUT FOR
MORE MONEY AND PEOPLE ARE SAYING
YOU CAN'T THROW MONEY AT A
PROBLEM LIKE THIS.
BUT IN MY OPINION, OUR SCHOOL
DISTRICTS AND OUR EDUCATORS AND
TEACHERS WE KNOW HOW TO EDUCATE
KIDS.
WE KNOW THE BEST PRACTICES AND
WE CAN REALLY ROLL UP OUR
SLEEVES AND GO AFTER IT BUT YOU
HAVE TO HAVE ADEQUATE RESOURCES
AND IN FACT, I KEEP HARKENING
BACK TO I BELIEVE IT WAS 2006,
IT WAS A STUDY THAT THE
LEGISLATURE COMMISSION THROUGH
POST AUDIT, TO DO A STUDY AND
OUR RESOURCE ITS TAKES AND I
BELIEVE IT CAME OUT, IT WAS
ALMOST A ONE TO ONE CORRELATION
BETWEEN THE AMOUNT OF RESOURCES
YOU SPEND AND THE LEVEL OF
ACHIEVEMENT AND LEARN TAG TAKES
PLACE.
SO GAIN, WE KNOW WHAT TO DO AND
WE'RE SCRIMPING AND KITTING BACK
AND IT'S STARTING TO CRACK BUT
IT'S GOT TO TAKE ADEQUATE
RESOURCES TO PREPARE OUR KIDS.
>> DO YOU SEE WITH THE FUNDING
CHANGES OR DISCUSSIONS GOING ON
AND WITH THE PAST CUTS ARE WE
SEEING--I'M HEARING A BIT OF THE
NARROWING AND THE OPPORTUNITY,
ASSESSMENTS DRIVE,
ACCREDITATION, SO IS THAT THE
CORE FOCUS THAT WE HAVE TO KEEP
BECAUSE OF ACCREDITATION AND THE
THINGS LIKE FIELD TRIPS AND
HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, PREJUDICE
ECTOMYOSIN BASE LEARNING AND THE
ONES THAT GET CHIPPED AWAY AT.
>> PROBABLY, HIT THE NAIL ON THE
HEAD FOR THE THING THAT'S THE
GREATEST STRESSOR AMONG TEACHERS
IN THE CLASS ROOM RIGHT NOW IS
THE FACT THAT IN SOME CASES WE
ARE FOCUSING ALMOST COMPLETELY
ON TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT
OPPORTUNITIES ARE MASTERING
THOSE BASIC SCHOOLS AND LARGER
AND LARGER CLASSES AND LOSING
THE OPPORTUNITY TO ACHIEVE THOSE
GOALS WITH PROJECT BASED
LEARNING AND TO ACHIEVE THOSE
GOALS WITH THE 21st CENTURY
SKILLS.
BEEN IN A FACULTY MEETING WHERE
THE TEACHERS WERE ALMOST IN
TEARS.
THE STUDENTS WERE DOING WELL IN
STATE ASSESSMENTS AND YET THEY
WERE NOT ABLE TO GIVE THEIR
BEST, NOT ABLE TO ALLOW
STUDENTITOSE HAVE THE GREATEST
OPPORTUNITIES BECAUSE THEY WERE
SIMPLY TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT
THEY MET THAT NEXT LEVEL FOR THE
ACCREDITATION.
>> BECAUSE THE BAR GOES UP EVERY
YEAR UNDER THE NO CHILD LEFT
BEHIND.
>> SO IT'S NOT JUST A MATTER OF
PROGRESS FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL
STUDENT, BUT EVERYBODY.
>> WE WANT A GROWTH BASED MODAND
HE WILL WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO
LOOK AT INDIVIDUAL STUDENT
PROGRESS AS OPPOSE TO EVERY
STUDENT HAVING TO MEET SOME
ARBITRARY BENCHMARK ON A
PARTICULAR DAY ON ONE TEST.
>> WHY WE CHANGED OUR TARGET AND
RATHER THAN BECAUSE WE HAVE
STUDENT WHO IS OTHER THAN
PROFICIENT ON THE STATE EXAMS
BUT DIDN'T HAVE THE SKILLS TO GO
INTO REGULAR CLASSES WHEN THEY
GOT THE COLLEGE, WE DECIDED WE
NEEDED A TARGET IF HAVE YOU AT
LEAST A 21 ON THE ACT AND THAT
IS OUR TARGET THEN STUDIES SAY
YOU'RE GOING TO BE SUCCESS ISFUL
WHEN YOU GET TO COLLEGE AND YOU
CAN PERSIST TO GRADUATION.
SO, EVEN THOUGH THAT MAKE ITS
HARDER ON US AS THE ADULTS, IT'S
THE RIGHT THING FOR US TO DO FOR
OUR KIDS.
OUR KIDS NEED TO HAVE THE SKILLS
SO THEY CAN BE SUCCESSFUL EITHER
IN COLLEGE IF THEY GO STRAIGHT
TO COLLEGE OR IN WHATEVER CAREER
THEY CHOOSE.
BUT THAT--THAT MEANS THAT YOU
HAVE TO KEEP THE CURRICULUM
BROAD AND ONE OF THE THINGS I
KNOW THAT WE'RE ALL CHALLENGED
WITH IS NONE OF US GOT INTO THE
WORK TO NARROW THE CURRICULUM.
WE GOT INTO IT BECAUSE WE
BELIEVED IN A FULL EDUCATION
WHICH INCLUDES THE ARTS,
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ALL OF
THOSE THINGS AND WE ALL ARE
WORKING HARD TO MAINTAIN THAT
BROADER CURRICULUM SO IT'S NOT
JUST READING, MATH, AND NARROW
SKILLS BECAUSE PART OF IT IS THE
WORLD OUR KIDS ARE GOING INTO,
AND THE PARTICULAR SKILLS THAT I
LEARN WILL BE OUT OF DATE BY THE
TIME THEY GET THERE BUT THEIR
ABILITY TO WORK TOGETHER, THE
ABILITY TO COLLABORATE, THE
ABILITY TO LEARN, THAT'S WHAT
THEY'RE GOING TO CARRY WITH THEM
AND THAT'S WHAT A BROAD
EDUCATIONAL CURRICULUM GIVES TO
OUR KIDS.
>> TELL THE STORY OF GREG HOUSE?
>> YES, YOU MAY?
>> HE WAS A COLLEAGUE OF MINE AT
BLUE VALLEY NORTH HIGH SCHOOL
AND THIS PAST YEAR AND THAT THIS
PAST YEAR CANCER TOOK HIS LIFE.
HE RETURNED TO TEACHING AFTER
RETIREMENT BECAUSE HE LOVED THE
CLASSROOM AND @ MEMORIAL SERVICE
THEY HELD FOR HIM, MUST HAVE
BEEN A THOUSAND STUDENTS, FORMER
STUDENTS OF HIS IN THAT ROOM,
THEY PUT A ROCKING CHAIR ON THE
STAGE OF THE HALL.
IT WAS THE ROCKING CHAIR FROM
HIS CLASSROOM WHERE, WHEN HE
WENT THERE TO TEACH, THE
STUDENTS KNEW HE WAS GOING TO BE
TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WAS
A MUCH MORE IMPORTANT LESSON IN
LIFE.
AND THOSE LESSONS HELPED HIM TO
REACH STUDENTS, KEEP SOME
STUDENTS IN SCHOOL, HE REACHED
OUTS AND COACHED, HE WON, I
BELIEVE 20 STATE SWIMMING
TITLES, HIS TEAMS DID IN 27
YEARS.
THIS WAS A MAN THAT HAD A
TREMENDOUS IMPACT BUT WHAT
STUDENTS REMEMBER HIM FOR WAS
THE FACT THAT HE TAUGHT MORE
THAN THE CURRICULUM.
HE TAUGHT THE INDIVIDUAL
STUDENTS.
>> SO A COMMENT.
WE ALL ARE TEACHING MORE THAN
THE CURRICULUM AND SOMETIMES
THAT'S REALLY, REALLY GOOD AND
SOMETIMES IT ISN'T SO HELPFUL.
BECAUSE JUST BY WHO WE ARE,
WE'RE TEACHING MORE THAN THE
CURRICULUM.
THE STATE BOARD AND LOOKING AT
AND IT'LL BE A LONG TIME COMING,
A NEW ACCREDITATION SYSTEM THAN
QPA.
BECAUSE WE KNOW A GOOD EDUCATION
TAKES MORE THAN READING AND MATH
SKILLS.
THERE'S, 21st CENTURY SKILLS,
IT'S CREATIVE THINKING, IT'S
CRITICAL THINKING, IT'S
CHARACTER, SO MANY MORE THINGS
AND WE'LL ALL OF THESE WILL HAVE
INPUT INTO A NEW SYSTEM.
WE HAVE BEEN SO DRIVEN BY
READING AND MATH THAT SOME
REALLY TERRIBLE THINGS HAPPEN
WIDE WE FIRST BEGAN.
WE DID THINGS THAT WE COMBY WERE
NOT DEVELOPMENTALLY CORRECT.
THERE WERE SCHOOLS THAT WERE NOT
HAVING RECESS.
WHICH I'M SURE THAT INCREASED
BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS AND THE REST
OF THE DAY, BUT THAT ISN'T
HELPFUL WE WE SHOULD NOT PUT
PEOPLE IN THE POSITION THAT THEY
FEEL LIKE THAT'S WHAT THEY HAVE
TO DO.
SOME ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS ARE KIND
OF SLACKING OFF ON SCIENCE AND
THAT'S CERTAINLY ISN'T HELPFUL
BECAUSE WE KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE
HOLDS, BUT I THINK THAT
WE'VE--WE'VE MOVED PAST THAT
SOME BUT I HOPE THAT A NEW
ACCREDITATION SYSTEM AND A NEW
AUTHORIZATION ESEA IF IT
HAPPENS, WILL TAKE A MORE
REALISTIC VIEW OF WHAT EDUCATION
IS SUPPOSED TO BE AND FOR THE
PUBLIC ESEA WOULD BE WHAT WE
REFER TO AS NO CHILD LEFT
BEHIND.
THE ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY
EDUCATION SO WE'RE IN A WAITING
MODE TO SEE WHAT'S GOING TO
HAPPEN AT THAT LEVEL AND THEN
STATES WILL RESPOND TO THEM.
>> LOCAL DISTRICTS WILL HAVE TO
RESPOND TO THAT.
>> I DO WANT THE TO ADD BECAUSE
WE TALK ABOUT ALL THIS TESTING,
BUT NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND HAS NOT
BEEN TOTALLY IRRELEVANT.
IT HAS BEEN VERY IMPORTANT.
WE HAVE ADDRESSED STUDENTS NEEDS
THAT WE DID NOT--WE USED TO
THINK THEY COULD NOT BE REACHED,
WELL, HE DEPARTMENT COME TO
SCHOOL ALL THE TIME.
AND HE ACTS JUST LIKE HIS
BROTHER DID, ALL THOSE THINGS,
BUT, WE'RE FOCUSING ON ALL OF
THE CHILDREN AND THAT WE
ARE--YOU KNOW THEY DON'T--THE
PATIENTS DON'T KEEP THEIR BEST
ONES AT HOME.
THEY SEND US WHAT THEY'VE GOT
AND NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND HAS
HELPED US IN THAT SENSE AND SO I
WOULD NOT EVER SAY, I WISH WE'D
NEVER DONE IT.
>> I THINK THERE'S SOME--I WOULD
AGLEE WITH SUE, THERE'S BEEN A
LOT OF POSITIVES THAT HAVE COME
FROM NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND, BUT
WE'RE IN A SITUATION NOW WHERE
SCHOOLS CAN BE LABEL AS FAILING
WHEN THEY'RE ACTUALLY IMPROVING
AND I THINK THAT'S REALLY A
SHAME BECAUSE IT'S NOT--BECAUSE
I KNOW HOW HARD PEOPLE WORK AND
IF WE HAD A GROWTH MODEL,
CONNECT WIDE THIS, I THINK IT
WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER, BECAUSE
IT PUTS IT--WHERE WE ARE NOW,
PUTS A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF
PRESSURE THAT I THINK IS UNDUE
TO A LOT OF PEOPLE.
AND I THINK THAT'S REALLY UNFAIR
AND YOU KNOW IT'S JUST--WHEN
YOU--WHEN YOU RUN INTO
SITUATIONS WHERE SCHOOLS ARE
DOING VERY WELL, THEY MAY
EVEN--BE AWARDED A STANDARD OF
EXCELLENCE BUT STILL NOT MAKE
AYP.
THAT JUST DOESN'T MAKE A LOTS OF
SENSE.
>> CAN YOU SIMPLY EXPLAIN THAT
TO THE PUBLIC THAT MIGHT BE
WATCHING HOW THAT CAN HAPPEN?
>> I'M NOT SURE I CAN TOTALLY
EXPLAIN THAT.
[LAUGHTER]
I'M SOURCE ABOUT THAT.
--SERIOUS ABOUT THAT.
IT'S A COMPLICATED SYSTEM, BUT
WHEN PEOPLE WORK REALLY HARD AND
GET BETTER AT WHAT THEY DO, ON
AN--YOU KNOW SYSTEMATICALLY
BEING LABELED FAILING IS VERY
DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND FOR THE
PUCK LICK AND FOR THE
TEACHERS--PUBLIC AND FOR THE
TEACHER WHO IS ARE WORKING SO
HARD.
>> AND SOMETIME ITS CAN BE ONE
GROUP OF STUDENTS THAT ARE IN A
CATEGORY THAT DIDN'T QUITE MAKE
THE STANDARD AND THEN THE ENTIRE
SCHOOL THEN WOULD--WOULD HAVE
THAT LABEL, THE BENEFIT OF
WATCHING ALL STUDENTS IS
IMPORTANT BUT SORT OF THE
BLAMING SHAMING BECOMES MAYBE
SOMETHING THAT WE CAN TAKE A
LOOK AT.
>> THAT WHOLE SYSTEM CAN PUT US
IN AN US AND THEM WAY OF
THINKING SO THAT ALL CHILDREN
ARE NOT WELCOMED.
IF WE'RE NOT CAREFUL, I DON'T
KNOW THAT THAT HAPPENED BUT IT
SETS US UP FOR THAT KIND OF
THINKING AND THAT'S NOT FAIR TO
CHILDREN.
>> ANYTHING THAT YOU'RE
PARTICULARLY OPTIMISTIC ABOUT,
LET'S TRY TO END HERE ON AN
OPTIMISTIC NOTE.
WHAT DO YOU SEE AS AN
OPPORTUNITY OR SOME OPTIMISM OUT
THERE IN THE PROFESSION OR IN
OUR BUSINESS?
GENE.
>> I THINK THE THING THAT I'M
OPTIMISTIC ABOUT AS I'M SURE YOU
WOULD AGREE IS OUR KIDS, WE HAVE
AMAZING KIDS.
I WISH WE HAD KIDS HERE.
YOU COULD GET TO KNOW WHO THEY
ARE BECAUSE OUR KIDS ARE
REMARKABLE AND WHEN WE PUT OUR
FAITH IN THEM, HOLD THEM TO HIGH
EXPECTATIONS AND GIVE THEM THE
TOOLS THEY NEED, THEY DO GREAT
THINGS AND I'M SO PROUD EVERY
TIME I GO INTO SCHOOLS AND SEE
THE WORK THEY'RE DOING, I'M SO
PROUD OF THEM AND THAT'S THE
THING THAT GIVES ME HOPE, WE
HAVE A LOT TO DO AS, ADULTS MAKE
SURE THEY GET WHAT THE iPAD
NEED BUT IF WE DO THEY WILL BE
GREAT.
>> I THINK PEOPLE ARE FIGHTING
THE FIGHT AND THEY'RE NOT
QUITTING AND I SEE THAT EVERY
SINGLE DAY AND I THINK THAT'S A
REALLY TRUE--I MEAN THAT'S
REALLY WHAT WE WANT TO SEE AND
THAT'S TEACHERS ADMINISTRATORS
AND OUR STUDENTS ARE NOT
QUITTING.
I WILL TELL YOU, THEY JUST KEEP
CHARGING AHEAD AND THEY'RE
TREMENDOUS.
>> ANY OTHER OPTIMISTIC VIEWS
OUT THERE.
>> TEACHERS ARE ANXIOUS TO
EMBRACE THE 21stCEPTORY SKILLS
AND THEY'RE ALSO ANXIOUS TO USE
SOME OF THE BEST LESSONS FROM
THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY.
THERE'S A GREAT BOOK DRIVE BY
DANIEL PINK, TALKS ABOUT HUMAN
MOTIVATION AND GETTING BEYOND
THE DUMMED DOWN SYSTEM OF TEST
SCORES.
WE'RE ENTHUSIAST AND I CAN WE'RE
HOPEFUL THAT THAT'S WHAT'S GOING
TO HAPPEN.
>> WELL'S GREAT.
I WANT TO THANK OW PANEL IISTS
FOR BEING HERE WE'VE HAD TOEUR
RIGHT DR. DAVID SMITH, DR. GENE
JOHNSON, SHAWNEE MISSION SUPER
INTENDANT, MISS SUE STORM,
DR. BLAKE WEST, PRESIDENT OF
KANSAS NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF
EDUCATION AND DR. MARLIN BERRY,
SUPER INTENDANT OF OLATHE PUBLIC
SCHOOLS AND WE WOULD LIKE TO
THANK OF AUDIENCE FOR LISTEN
NOTHING AND HOPE YOU'LL BE ABLE
TO USE THE RESOURCES THAT ARE
OUT THERE, EITHER ONLINE THAT
MAY HELP YOU KEEP INFORMED AS WE
GO FORWARD ON THESE IMPORTANT
TOPICS.
TOPICS. THANK YOU.
[¶ MUSIC ¶]
[¶ MUSIC ¶]