Ruckus - 1/10/13


Uploaded by KCPTOnline on 10.01.2013

Transcript:
>>> PRODUCTION UNDERWRITING FOR RUCKUS HAS BEEN MADE POSSIBLE IN PART BY THE GENEROUS
 
CONTRIBUTIONS FROM FRED AND LOU HARTWIG AND FROM VIEWERS LIKE YOU.
 
THANK YOU. >>> WELCOME TO RUCKUS, OUR WEEKLY FOOD FOR THOUGHT FIGHT
 
OVER THE NEWS OF THE DAY AND THE TRENDS OF THE TIMES. BACK FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE NEW
 
YEAR'S FROLICKING, OUR PANELIST, THE RUCKETTES. ON MY LEFT, BUT ONLY ON
 
TELEVISION, LOBBIEST WOODY COZAD, ACROSS WILL AISLE YAEL ABOUHALKAH AND GWEN GRANT,
 
PRESIDENT AND CEO OF THE URBAN LEAGUE IN KANSAS CITY. I'M MIKE SHANIN, PRESIDENT OF
 
THE URBAN LEAGUE IN KANSAS CITY, IN MY DREAMS. ADD THE SEVEN AND A HALF YEARS
 
OF THE PROGRAM'S FIRST INCARNATION, AND YOU HAVE A LONG TRADITION OF LOCAL PROGRAMMING.
 
OUR THANKS TO THE MANAGEMENT OF KCPT FOR ITS BACKING AND SUPPORT, AND OF COURSE, TO OUR
 
VIEWERS. YOUR MORAL AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT KEEP RUCKUS ON THE AIR AND THE
 
RUCKETTES MOTIVATED. AT 2013 BEGAN, PUNDITS WERE MAKING PREDICTIONS FOR THE
 
COMING YEAR. THE MOST COMMON AND EASIEST TO MAKE WAS THAT THE KANSAS CITY
 
CHIEFS WOULD SOON HAVE NEW LEADERSHIP, AND THE PREDICTIONS BECAME FACT IN THE FIRST WEEK OF
 
THE NEW YEAR. OUT WITH THE OLD, MANAGER SCOTT PIOLI, AND COACH ROMEO CRENEL,
 
AND IN WITH THE NEW. >> YOU KNOW, THIS IS RIGHT. THIS IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
 
AND SO IT MADE THE DECISION EASY. I CROSSED MY FINGERS THAT I
 
WOULD BE OFFERED THE JOB, AND SO I WAS. >> VIRTUALLY EVERYONE WANTS A
 
WINNING FOOTBALL CLUB IN KANSAS CITY, BUT WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT, OR IS IT, GWEN?
 
>> ABSOLUTELY IT'S IMPORTANT. I THINK HAVING A WINNING SPORTS FRANCHISE BRINGS LOTS OF
 
POSITIVE ATTENTION TO A COMMUNITY. IT MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY.
 
YOU KNOW, YOU HAVE THE ECONOMY, HAPPY COMMUNITY, IMPROVES THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR SOME.
 
BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY FOR OUR PEOPLE HERE IN KANSAS CITY, WE'VE MADE A HUGE INVESTMENT IN
 
MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS, AND THAT'S WHY IT'S IMPORTANT THAT WE GET A RETURN ON THAT INVESTMENT.
 
THE TAXPAYERS HAVE APPROVED REVENUE TO REMODEL THE STADIUM, AND WE WANT TO SEE A WINNING
 
TEAM OUT THERE. WE'VE HAD FOOTBALL IN KANSAS CITY SINCE I CAN REMEMBER.
 
>> WE WANT A WINNING TEAM BECAUSE IT MAKES MONEY FOR KANSAS CITY.
 
>> OF COURSE. >> BUT THERE ARE ARGUMENTS, ARE THERE NOT, WOODY, ON THE OTHER
 
SIDE SAYING THEY DON'T MAKE MONEY FOR KANSAS CITY, THAT THEY REALLY DON'T BRING IN ALL SORTS
 
OF REVENUE, THAT THEY ONLY REREDISTRIBUTE REVENUE ALREADY HERE.
 
>> I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT. I JUST KNOW THE FANCY KNOW, IT BRINGS -- I THINK IT BRINGS
 
REVENUE INTO THE CITY WHERE PEOPLE COME TO SEE GAMES. WE ALSO GET LOTS OF NATIONAL
 
ATTENTION WHEN WE HAVE A WINNING TEAM. PEOPLE ARE PAYING ATTENTION TO
 
WHAT'S GOING ON IN KANSAS CITY, AND YOU KNOW AT LEAST EVERY SUNDAY AND EVERY NOW AND THEN ON
 
A MONDAY NIGHT, WE'RE GOING TO GET SOME NATIONAL EXPOSURE. >> YAEL, IT'S NOT THE FIRST TIME
 
KANSAS CITY HAS FALLEN IN LOVE WITH A NEW COACH FOR THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS AND THAT HOPES WERE
 
HIGH FOR THE COMING YEAR. >> NO. MAYOR SLY JAMES AND I HAD
 
ACTUALLY A TWITTER EXCHANGE THIS LAST WEEK, BECAUSE I WAS BASICALLY COMPLAINING THAT
 
HIRING A NEW COACH GETS ALL OF THIS ATTENTION YET ALL THE IMPORTANT THINGS ARE GOING ON
 
WITH THE SPENDING OF TAX MONEY AND VARIOUS THINGS IN THE CITY. MY CONTENTION, THOUGH, IS THAT
 
BASICALLY SPORTS IS VERY EASY TO TALK ABOUT MALE AND FEMALE REALLY ANYMORE, ESPECIALLY
 
PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL. WE ALL HAVE OPINIONS. MOST OF THEM ARE UNEDUCATED,
 
QUITE FRANKLY. WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO RUN FOOTBALL TEAMS, BUT WE SURE KNOW
 
WHO THE THIRD STRING QUARTERBACK OUGHT TO BE. BUT IT'S VERY EASY TO TALK
 
ABOUT. IT ALMOST DOESN'T MATTER WHAT WE SAY, OF COURSE.
 
LAMAR HUNT IS NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO US, THE OWNER OF THE CHIEFS.
 
WE HAVE THE BEST WORLD WAR I MEMORIAL IN THE NATION. WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST
 
PERFORMING ARTS CENTERS IN THE NATION. WE HAVE OR ARE GOING TO HAVE ONE
 
OF THE BEST ZOOS, BUT WHAT A MAJORITY OF PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION TO IS HOW ARE THE ROYALS AND
 
CHIEFS DOING. I'M GLAD YOU MENTIONED IT, GWEN, BECAUSE MY THOUGHT ON THIS IS WE
 
HAVE PUMPED A LOT OF MONEY AS TAXPAYERS INTO THOSE STADIUMS. THEY, THE CHIEFS AND ROYALS,
 
NEED TO PUMP MONEY INTO KEEPING QUALITY PRODUCTS ON THE FIELD. I DO AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID,
 
WE DO REDISTRICT WEALTH, BUT HOWEVER, THEY DO BRING IN OUT-OF-TOWNERS.
 
WHEN IT THAT HAPPENS --. >> I THINK IT'S VALUABLE. I'M SIMPLY MAKING AN ARGUMENT
 
THAT PEOPLE MAKE FROM TIME TO TIME IS ALL THIS INVESTMENT IN THE SPORTS COMPLEX IS NOT MONEY
 
WELL SPENT. >> I WOULD IMAGINE EVERYONE TO SOME DEGREE LOVES SPORTS FOR ITS
 
OWN SAKE, BECAUSE IT'S BEAUTIFUL, BECAUSE MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS, ANY KIND OF HUMAN
 
ACTIVITY THAT'S THAT DEMANDING DONE WELL, I MEAN, NOT JUST DONE WELL, BUT DONE EXCELLENTLY, IS
 
GORGEOUS TO WATCH. IT'S DRAMATIC, SPEED, STRENGTH, ALL THE THINGS THAT GO WITH IT,
 
AND SO WE LOVE THE THING FOR ITSELF. NOW.
 
IT'S SOMETHING TO DO ON SUNDAY IS ALMOST -- HOWEVER, ON THE DARK SIDE, IT'S ALSO ALL ABOUT
 
THE MONEY. WASHINGTON, THE REDSKINS, MIKE SHANAHAN HIS REFUSAL TO DO HIS
 
JOB, AND HE RUINED MAYBE THE LIFE OF AN ICONIC ROOKIE. >> STARTING 2013 WITH ME
 
AGREEING WITH MARY. >> EXCELLENT. >> BECAUSE THERE ARE NONMATERIAL
 
THINGS IN THE WORLD. >> THERE ARE. >> AND ENJOYMENT OF SPORTS HAS
 
BEEN GOING ON AS LONG AS THERE HAS BEEN HUMAN SOCIETY. WE'VE ADMIRED IT AND ENJOYED IT.
 
NOW, THIS KIND COSTS A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT DOES FRET
 
ME, I CAN REMEMBER 20 YEARS AGO WHEN I HAD CHIEFS TICKETS, I'D GO AND STAND THERE, GET
 
SOMETHING TO EAT, AND THERE WOULD BE SOME GUY THAT WAS CLEARLY A WELL TO DO OLDER
 
BUSINESSMAN AND ME AND A GUY THAT WAS A CARPENTER OR SOMETHING, AND WE'D ALL BE
 
TALKING FOOTBALL TOGETHER. THOSE SEATS UP THERE NOW ARE MOSTLY FILLED WITH JOCO'S.
 
WE'RE PRICING THIS STUFF OUT OF THE MARKET OF WORKING CLASS PEOPLE, AND THAT'S NOT A GOOD
 
THING. IT'S TO BRING THE COMMUNITY TOGETHER.
 
>> I AGREE. >> THAT'S THE LAST TIME THIS YEAR, MARY.
 
>> I POINTED OUT INITIALLY THAT THIS WAS AN EASY PREDICTION TO MAKE, THAT THERE WOULD BE MAJOR
 
CHANGES IN THE LEADERSHIP OF THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS, AND I ASKED YOU TO MAKE A BRIEF SERIOUS
 
PREDICTION OF WHAT YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN IN 2013. >> ABOUT THE CHIEFS?
 
THEY'LL BE BETTER. >> NO, NOT ABOUT THE CHIEFS. DID YOU READ MY.
 
>> I NEVER READ YOUR NOTES. >> DO YOU HAVE A PREDICTION YOU'D LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?
 
>> THE BEST PREDICTION I HAVE FOR THIS YEAR IS THAT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT WILL CONTINUE TO
 
RAPE AND PILLAGE BOTH KANSAS AND MISSOURI TAXPAYERS. >> GWEN, DO YOU HAVE A
 
PREDICTION? >> I PREDICT THAT WE'VE FINALLY GET SOME LEGISLATION PASSED IN
 
THE STATE FOR DESI TO INTERVENE. >> THAT'S THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION.
 
>> YES. >> I THINK BECAUSE OF THE DEFEAT OF THE TEA PARTY FORCES IN THE
 
NATIONAL ELECTION, THE VICTORY OF THE PRESIDENT AND ALL KINDS OF OTHER DEMOCRATS AND
 
PROGRESSIVE PEOPLE THAT WE WILL GO BACK AND PICK UP SOME OF THE ISSUES THAT WERE NEGLECTED SADLY
 
IN THAT CAMPAIGN, LIKE GLOBAL WARMING, LIKE VOTER SUPPRESSION, AND LIKE THE EXTENSION OF HEALTH
 
CARE TO EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY. >> QUICK PREDICTION, WOODY.
 
>> I PREDICT THERE WILL BE A LAWSUIT OVER THE LEGALITY OF THE FUNDING FOR THE SLY JAMES SHORT
 
LINE RAILROAD. >> BEEN WAITING FOR THAT. WHAT THE HECK?
 
>> I PREDICT THAT I WILL CONTINUE TO RESIST THE IMPULSE TO MAKE PREDICTIONS ON RUCKUS IN
 
2013. >>> AS THE NEW YEAR BEGAN AND SOME PEOPLE WERE CELEBRATING BY
 
ILLEGALLY FIRING THEIR GUNS IN THE AIR, THE NATIONAL CONTROVERSY ABOUT GUNS CONTINUED
 
FOLLOWING THE TRAGEDY AT NEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT. SOME LEGISLATORS AND THE
 
PRESIDENT ARE CALLING FOR STRONGER GUN CONTROL LEGISLATION.
 
THE NRA, NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION, HAS WHAT IT CONSIDERS TO BE A BETTER AND A
 
BOLDER SUGGESTION. PUT TRAINED PERSONNEL WITH A WEAPON IN EVERY SCHOOL.
 
>> I CALL ON CONGRESS TODAY TO ACT IMMEDIATELY TO APPROPRIATE WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO PUT
 
ARMED POLICE OFFICERS IN EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL IN THIS NATION. >> WAYNE, A LONG TIME LEADER OF
 
THE NRA IN MISSOURI, SOME G.O.P. LEGISLATORS ARE INTRODUCING LEGISLATION THAT WOULD ALLOW
 
TEACHERS WITH CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS TO TAKE THEIR GUNS TO SCHOOL.
 
GOVERNOR JAY NIXON IS OPPOSED, AND SO IS THE MISSOURI SCHOOL BOARD'S ASSOCIATION.
 
AS THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY GOES BACK INTO SESSION, IS THIS ISSUE LIKELY TO GET A LOT OF ATTENTION
 
FROM LEGISLATORS, WOODY? >> NO. I SAT DOWN AND TYPED UP
 
LITERALLY A BAKER'S DOZEN, 13 ISSUES THAT WILL COME UP IN THE MISSOURI GENERAL ASSEMBLY THIS
 
YEAR THAT WILL GET MORE ATTENTION THAN THIS WILL. BECAUSE FIRST OF ALL, THERE IS
 
NOT SOME BIG HUMAN CRIME ON THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI TO HAVE THIS HAPPEN.
 
SECONDLY, THERE'S NO MONEY IN THE STATE OF MISSOURI TO DO WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, PUTTING
 
TRAINED PERSONNEL IN THERE AND METAL DETECTORS. WE DO IT IN SOME OF THE URBAN
 
SCHOOLS, BUT THERE'S NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO DO IT STATEWIDE, SO THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
 
THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A BIG ISSUE. NOBODY THINKS THIS IS THE
 
SOLUTION, JUST BECAUSE NOBODY IS SAYING OUTLAWING 30 SHOT MAGAZINES IS ACTUALLY GOING TO
 
KEEP 30 SHOT MAGAZINES OUT OF CIRCULATION. I'M JUST TELLING YOU, THE
 
LEGISLATURE HAS A BUNCH OF THINGS TO DEAL WITH THIS YEAR THAT ARE GOING TO ATTRACT A LOT
 
OF ATTENTION. THIS IS ONE OF THEM. >> I THINK HE WAS TALKING ABOUT
 
FEDERALLY FUNDING OFFICERS AT THE SCHOOLS. >> HE WAS.
 
>> BUT WHAT IS ON OUTRAGEOUS ABOUT HIS SUGGESTION? PEOPLE SEEM TO DISMISS IT OUT OF
 
HAND. HE SAYS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN STOP BAD GUYS WITH GUNS IS BY
 
HAVING GOOD GUYS WITH GUNS. >> LOADED WEAPONS. >> IS THAT OUTRAGEOUS?
 
IS THAT CRAZY? YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT, BUT IT'S NOT INSANE.
 
>> THERE IS NO RECORD IN THE COUNTRY'S HISTORY OF SOMEONE STOPPING A MASSACRE IN A SCHOOL
 
OR ANOTHER PUBLIC PLACE, IN A THEATER, BECAUSE SOMEBODY HAD A LOADED GUN.
 
>> OH, YES THERE IS. >> NO, THERE SUBJECT. >> YES, THERE IS.
 
>> COME UP WITH ONE. >> LET ME JUST FINISH. >> AS SOON AS YOU'RE THROUGH.
 
>> HERE IS THE DEAL, WHY DON'T WE JUST SET ASIDE FOR A MOMENT IN THIS COUNTRY OUR PARTISAN
 
DIFFERENCES ON THIS QUESTION, WHICH ARE MANY AND DO THE THINGS THAT WE CAN DO.
 
EVERYONE WHO BUYS AN ASSAULT WEAPON SHOULD HAVE A BACKGROUND CHECK.
 
I MEAN, THAT REALLY IS SOMETHING THAT AMERICAN PEOPLE CAN AGREE ON.
 
AND REALLY ORDERING 30 ROUND CLIPS OVER THE INTERNET? MOST PEOPLE CAN AGREE THAT
 
THAT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA. WE CAN DO THOSE THINGS RATHER THAN THIS RIDICULOUS --.
 
>> BEFORE WE WRAP UP THIS SEGMENT, I WOULD LIKE TO TALK A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT WHAT THE
 
MISSOURI LEGISLATURE IS GOING TO CONSIDER. YOU SAID YOU HAD A LIST.
 
WITHOUT REFERRING IT IN DETAIL, JUST TWO OR THREE OF THE TOP ISSUES, MEDICAID AND WHAT TO DO
 
ABOUT MEDICAID. >> MEDICATION EXPANSION WILL BE A BIG ISSUE.
 
I DON'T THINK IT WILL HAPPEN. TAX REFORM TO COMPETE WITH KANSAS.
 
>> YOU THINK THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN? >> NO.
 
I THINK IT'S GOING TO BE A BIG ISSUE. >> I'M JUST CURIOUS IF YOU
 
THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. >> YOU WANT TO MAKE PREDICTIONS. NOW I'M SUPPOSED TO.
 
>> I CAN'T AFFORD YOU. >> NO, I DON'T KNOW AT ALL WHAT WILL HAPPEN ON THAT FRONT, BUT
 
THERE WILL BE A BIG EFFORT TO DO SOMETHING ON THAT FRONT, AND IT WILL STIR UP A LOT OF
 
CONTROVERSY. TAX CREDITS WILL BE PART OF THAT DEBATE AND ALSO A FREESTANDING
 
DEBATE OF THEIR OWN. >> ABOUT RIGHT TO WORK? >> RIGHT TO WORK WILL BE A BIG
 
FIGHT THIS YEAR IN THE LEGISLATURE, AT LEAST IN THE HOUSE.
 
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE SENATE. A DECENT CHANCE IT WILL PASS THE
 
HOUSE. TEACHER EVALUATION AND TENURE AND LAST IN, FIRST OUT.
 
>> KANSAS CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT? >> I BEG YOUR PARDON? >> KANSAS CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT.
 
>> YOU KNOW SOMETHING, THAT WILL GET BROUGHT UP. I DISAGREE WITH GWEN.
 
I DON'T THINK IT'S GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF FIRE UNDER IT THIS YEAR.
 
>> KANSAS CITY IS PUTTING STOCK IN BOND, HIRING HIM TO LOBBY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ESPECIALLY
 
FOR MONEY FOR TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS. DURING HIS TIME IN THE SENATE,
 
BOND PLAYED A KEY ROLE IN BRINGING PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT TO THE CITY AND STATE.
 
CITY OFFICIALS HOPE HIS CLOUD IS UNDIMINISHED. SO IS THIS A SMART MOVE?
 
CAN KIT BOND BRIDGE THE GAP AND KC AND DC? >> GEE, WHAT MADE YOU BRING KIT
 
BOND AND BRIDGES UP? >> I THOUGHT YOU WOULD APPRECIATE THAT TRANSITION.
 
>> HAS HIS NAME ON TWO OF THEM. I GUESS IF YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH AT BRINGING HOME BACON.
 
HE IS THE ORIGINAL EARMARKER. I MEAN, THIS GUY IS SKILLFUL AT BRINGING HOME MONEY.
 
>> IS IT A GOOD DECISION BY KANSAS CITY TO USE HIM? >> IF YOU BASED YOUR DECISION ON
 
THAT REASONING, YES, OF COURSE. >> WHY ELSE DO THEY WANTS HIM? >> IT'S A NO-BRAINER.
 
WHAT DOES A LOBBYIST DO? A LOBBYIST REPRESENTS THE CITY AND REPRESENTS THE WISHES OF THE
 
CITY, THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL. IT'S NOT LIKE HE'S GOING TO BE
 
GOING OFF ON HIS OWN. HE'S BRINGING HOME TRANSPORTATION MONEY AND HAS
 
DONE THAT BEFORE. >> IS IT A GOOD IDEA, YAEL? >> AT THIS POINT, YES.
 
THEY HAVE A FIVE YEAR DEAL WITH HIM. >> DO WE KNOW HOW MUCH HE'S
 
GETTING PAID? >> IT WAS UNDER THE $190,000 THE LAW FIRM WAS GETTING THIS YEAR
 
ACCORDING TO DANNY YODER, BECAUSE I ACTUALLY ASKED THAT QUESTION AT THE VERY BEGINNING.
 
BUT WITH THAT SAID, I MEAN, DO YOU WANT SOMETHING IN WASHINGTON WHO, ONE, KNOWS WHO TO CALL WHEN
 
YOU'RE KIND OF WANTING TO GET SOME MAYBE SEWER MONEY, WHEN YOU WANT TO GET TRANSPORTATION
 
MONEY, THAT KIND OF THING. THAT'S KIT BOND AND THE PEOPLE HE KNOWS THERE.
 
I THINK THE SECOND THING IS, AND MARY KIND OF TOUCHED ON IT, BUT IF YOU HAVE SOMEBODY
 
REPRESENTING THE CITY, THAT'S KANSAS CITY ASKING FOR THAT MONEY.
 
WELL, KANSAS CITY ASKED FOR THAT MONEY AND HE'S SUPPOSED ONLY WORKING FOR KANSAS CITY, NOT ST.
 
LOUIS, BUT IF KANSAS CITY GOES IN THERE WITH KIT BOND BEHIND IT, THAT DOES HELP.
 
YOU CAN CRITICIZE HIM, AND I HAVE BEFORE FOR SOME OF THE STUFF HE'S BROUGHT TO KANSAS
 
CITY. >> I'M NOT CRITICIZING HIM. >> BUT IF YOU WANT TO HAVE
 
SOMEBODY, THAT'S HIS SKILL. >> LET ME ASK THE GUY WHOSE BUSINESS HE IS LOBBYING, WOODY.
 
YOU KNOW KIT BOND, HAVE KNOWN HIM FOR DECADES. I THINK THIS IS HIS FIRST FORAY
 
INTO LOBBYING. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? >> WELL, IT'S WHAT HE DID AS A
 
SENATOR. THE MOST EFFECTIVE LOBBYIST YOU HAVE IS YOUR SENATOR IN THE
 
SENATE AND HOUSE MEMBERS IN THE HOUSE. HE'S GOING TO BE WORKING WITH
 
CLAIRE MCCASKILL AND ROY BLUNTD IN A DEMOCRATICALLY CONTROLLED SENATE.
 
ROY IS PRETTY MUCH THE WAY KIT IS. HE LIKES TO SPEAR THAT PORK AND
 
CHUCK IT ON HOME. SO THEY'LL JUST GET ALONG PEACHY KEEN.
 
AND THE QUESTION IS, IN A DEMOCRATICALLY CONTROLLED SENATE, WHERE IS CLAIRE?
 
IS SHE GOING TO BACK THEIR PLAY? BECAUSE SHE'S GOING TO NEED TO OR IT WILL BE A LITTLE LESS
 
EFFECTIVE. OVER ON THE HOUSE SIDE, CERTAINLY --.
 
>> THE REASONING HAS BEEN THAT THE HOUSE, THE DEMOCRATS WILL WORK WITH KANSAS CITY AND THERE
 
WON'T BE A SERIOUS PROBLEM THERE. IT'S A DEMOCRATIC CITY COUNCIL.
 
>> SURE. >> AND BOND IS THE GUY --. >> EMANUEL CLEAVER IS VERY CLOSE
 
TO KIT BOND, ALSO. >> SOMETHING HAPPENED JUST YESTERDAY, WEDNESDAY.
 
>> HE WASN'T A REGISTERED LOBBYIST YET. >> WEDNESDAY, SURPRISE
 
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE MAYOR OF KANSAS CITY, KANSAS, JOE REARDON, THAT HE WAS NOT GOING
 
TO SEEK A THIRD TERM AS MAYOR, AND HE SAID HE WOULD NOT SPECULATE ABOUT HIS POLITICAL
 
FUTURE. NOW, I'M WILLING TO SPECULATE, AND TELL ME IF THIS IS IDIOTIC.
 
HE WAS TALKING ABOUT RUNNING FOR THE THIRD U.S. DISTRICT OUT OF KANSAS THE LAST TIME AROUND BUT
 
CHOSE NOT TO. HE'S A YOUNG, MODERATE DEMOCRAT WITH A SUCCESSFUL TRACK RECORD
 
AS A TWO-TERM MAYOR, MAYOR OF THE YEAR LAST YEAR IN KANSAS. WOULDN'T HE BE A GOOD CHOICE FOR
 
THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY TO RUN AGAINST, KEVIN YODER IN 2014? >> I THINK HE WOULD BE A BETTER
 
CHOICE, MIKE, TO RUN AGAINST SAM BROWNBACK FOR GOVERNOR. HIS SPECIAL EXPERTISE WAS TAKING
 
HOLD OF THE SITUATION, A VERY GOOD ONE, BY THE WAY, THAT CAROL PROVIDED FOR HIM TO STEP INTO,
 
BUT EXPANDING UPON HER WONDERFUL SUCCESS IN TERMS OF TURNING THE CITY AROUND AND SO ON.
 
BUT HE IS A GREAT MANAGER. HE IS HIGHLY RESPECTED ACROSS THE STATE.
 
I WAS AT A SOCIAL GATHERING DURING THE HOLIDAYS, AND I HAD REPUBLICANS SAYING --.
 
>> WOULDN'T HE HAVE A MUCH EASIER SHOT AT THE U.S. HOUSE THAN GOVERNOR OF KANSAS IN A
 
REPUBLICAN STATE, AT LEAST THE THIRD DISTRICT HAS A LARGE DEMOCRATIC POPULATION, AND HE
 
LIVES IN IT. >> THAT WOULD SEEM TO BE THE LOGICAL.
 
>> HIS PROBLEM WOULD BE THAT HE DOESN'T LIVE IN JOHNSON COUNTY, AND JOHNSON COUNTY IS THE TAIL
 
THAT WAGS THAT DOG. >> BUT MODERATE REPUBLICANS IN JOHNSON COUNTY ARE DISSATISFIED
 
WITH YODER, AS I THINK YOU AND OTHERS SUGGEST. >> THEY MAY BE DISSATISFIED, BUT
 
HE'S WON TWO TIMES IN A ROW. >> HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY OPPOSITION.
 
>> THAT'S RIGHT. >> HAD HE RUN AROUND NAKED --. >> OH, MY.
 
>> HARD TO BEAT. >> THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN'T DO IT, AND HE WOULD BE THE BEST
 
CANDIDATE THE DEMOCRATS COULD GET PROBABLY. >> SO REARDON IS GOING TO RETIRE
 
FROM POLITICS NEVER TO APPEAR AGAIN? >> NO, NO.
 
HE SAID THE OPPOSITE. >> AT A TIME WHEN PESSIMISM PERSIST, YAEL, AS USUAL, IS
 
THE -- IN THE FIRST OF THE YEAR COLUMN, HE WRITES 2013 IS GOING TO BE THE BEST YEAR EVER IN
 
KANSAS CITY WITH THE CAVEAT THAT THINGS COULD GO WRONG. IN A LISTING OF PROJECTS THAT
 
DESERVE CONSIDERATION, YAEL INCLUDES AN ENDS TO THE ECONOMIC BORDER WAR, MORE HOUSING UNITS
 
DOWNTOWN, DEVELOPING COMMUTER RAIL, KEEPING THE AIRPORT CONVENIENT FOR LOCAL RESIDENTS
 
AND SPURRING REAL LOCAL JOB CREATION. BEFORE WE TALK ABOUT SOME OF THE
 
PROJECTS, LET'S START WITH THIS CRITICAL QUESTION, ARE YOU REALLY OPTIMISTIC, YAEL?
 
>> WELL, YOU KNOW, ACTUALLY, WHEN I PUT THAT LIST TOGETHER, IT WAS, LIKE, GOSH, I'M NOT
 
BEING DEBBY DOWNER ENOUGH. YOU WANT TO HAVE THIS HARD NOSED APPROACH.
 
IT'S NOT THAT THERE'S REALLY ON THAT LIST ANYTHING REALLY BIG AND NEW.
 
SO YOU'RE BASICALLY IN A CARE TAKING MOMENT. WE WANT TO GET THE COMMUTER RAIL
 
RIGHT IF THEY'RE GOING TO ROLL IT OUT IN JACKSON COUNTY. WE WANT TO GET THE AIRPORT
 
RIGHT, BECAUSE WE KNOW THEY'RE GOING TO REDO IT TO GET THE MONEY, GET THE JOBS.
 
WE KNOW THEY'RE GOING TO DO THE STREETCAR. AND LOOKING AT THAT LIST OF
 
PROJECTS, WHAT REALLY NEEDS TO HAPPEN FOR THIS TO BE A BETTER YEAR?
 
OBVIOUSLY GETTING READY OF THE BORDER WAR WOULD BE A GREAT THING.
 
I KEEP HEARING THAT FROM EVERYBODY ON BOTH SIDES. BUT THE OTHER THING -- I THINK
 
THE TWO PRIORITIES FOR ME WOULD BE, MORE PEOPLE LIVING DOWNTOWN, WHICH MEANS MORE CONSTRUCTION
 
AND THAT THING, AND TWO, GETTING NEW JOBS HERE. THAT'S A KANSAS CITY AREA
 
DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL'S BIG THOUGHT WITH ME IS THEY HAVE NOT DONE A GOOD ENOUGH JOB OF DOING
 
THAT. >> YOU CRITICIZE THAT ORGANIZATION AND THE CHAMBER OF
 
COMMERCE FOR NOT DOING MORE, ESPECIALLY ON ITS BIG 5 PROJECTS.
 
>> WELL, THE CHAMBER'S -- I WOULD SAY, ONE OF THE CHAMBER'S BIG 5, THIS IS THEIR YEAR TO
 
SHINE ON THIS STUFF. THEY HAVE THE ENTREPRENEURIAL THING THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT, THE
 
LIFE SCIENCES ISSUE THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. I MENTIONED VERY BRIEFLY IN THIS
 
MORNING'S COLUMN THAT THERE IS A POSSIBLE SALES TAX COMING THAT MIGHT FINANCE SOME OF THIS WORK.
 
THERE IS A LOT HAPPENING, SOME BEHIND THE SCENES. IF THE CHAMBER'S BIG 5 IS A
 
SUCCESS, I'LL BE THE FIRST PERSON TO SAY GREAT JOB, CHAMBER.
 
>> I WANT TO ASK ONE OTHER THING. YOU WROTE, IT IS TIME FOR THE
 
PRIVATE SECTOR, NOTABLY THE CORD-ISH COMPANY TO DO MORE TO BUILD HOUSING DOWNTOWN.
 
>> RIGHT. WHAT HAPPENED, WE POURED MONEY INTO THE SPRINT CENTER, A LOT OF
 
MONEY, AS YOU KNOW, INTO THE POWER AND LIGHT DISTRICT, AND WE'VE ALSO PUT MONEY ASIDE FOR
 
BUILDING APARTMENTS DOWNTOWN, BASICALLY INCENTIVIZED BUILDING OWNERS TO REDO OLD BUILDINGS AND
 
MAYBE EVEN BUILD NEW BUILDINGS AS CORNISH IS DOING. CORNISH IS GETTING SOME PUBLIC
 
MONEY. NOW THEY WANT EVEN MORE FROM THE CITY.
 
THEY'LL PROBABLY GET IT AT SOME POINT, BECAUSE I THINK SLY JAMES UNDERSTANDS THEY NEED MORE
 
PEOPLE DOWNTOWN. 10 MILLION, 15 MILLION, WHAT'S THAT IF THEY GET MORE PEOPLE?
 
BUT I BET THAT HAPPENS, AND I BET WE DO GET MORE PEOPLE LIVING DOWNTOWN.
 
>> WHAT DO YOU THINK, GWEN? MORE PEOPLE LIVING DOWNTOWN BECAUSE OF CORDISH.
 
>> WELL, AND OTHERS. YOU HAVE A LOT MORE FAITH IN CORDISH THAN I DO.
 
>> YOU HAVE FAITH IN "AND OTHERS". >> WELL, I'D LIKE TO SEE MORE
 
HOUSING AVAILABLE DOWNTOWN, BUT I WISH YOUR PREDICTION ALSO INCLUDED MORE DEVELOPMENT IN THE
 
CORE. I THINK THAT'S SOMETHING KANSAS CITY REALLY -- IN THE INNER
 
CORE, BECAUSE THEY CONSIDER DOWNTOWN AS A PART OF URBAN CORE.
 
SO IN THE INNER CITY TO, CLARIFY THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO, THAT'S WHERE WE NEED TO SEE MORE
 
ACTIVITY TO SPUR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND BRING MORE QUALITY HOUSING INTO THE INNER
 
CORE AS WELL. >> I'M SORRY. I REALLY KIND OF MENTIONED THAT
 
A LITTLE BIT WITH THAT BIG 5 NEIGHBORHOOD INITIATIVE. IF THAT DOES WORK.
 
>> THAT SHOULD HELP SOME. >> IT IF THAT WORKS, IT WOULD BE GOOD.
 
>> THE WHOLE IDEA THAT WE MAY IN THIS COMING YEAR HAVE THE BEGINNINGS OF A COMMUTER RAIL
 
SYSTEM BEING PUT IN PLACE OR AT LEAST PROPOSED AND VOTED UPON DEPENDING ON WHAT'S PUT BEFORE
 
THE VOTERS IS EXTRAORDINARILY EXCITING IN TERMS OF JOBS. THE PROJECTIONS ABOUT WHAT KIND
 
OF JOB IMPROVEMENT, NUMBERS OF JOBS, QUALITY OF JOBS AND SO ON, IS VERY EXCITING.
 
>> WHAT IS REALLY EXCITING IS CLAY CHASTAIN HAS RETURNED, ABOUT TO MAKE HIS MARK AGAIN.
 
>>> IT IS TIME NOW FOR ROAST AND TOAST WHERE EACH RUCKETTE HAS THE SOAPBOX FOR 30 SECONDS, NO
 
MORE, NO LESS. LET'S BEGIN WITH WOODY. >> A TOAST TO THE ECONOMIC
 
BORDER WAR. I DON'T REALLY LOVE IT. I DON'T MEAN THAT, BUT I'M
 
GETTING SICK OF EVERYBODY KICKING IT AROUND AS IF IT WAS SOMETHING THEY COULD PUT A STOP
 
TO. THERE ARE SOME THINGS THEY COULD FIX ABOUT IT.
 
THEY COULD DO IT IN A BETTER WAY, BUT FOLKS, THIS BORDER WAR IS HERE BECAUSE IT'S PART OF A
 
NATIONAL WAR FOR JOBS AMONG ALL 50 OF THE STATES, AND YOU'RE EITHER WORKING ON THE TEXAS
 
MODEL OR YOU'RE WORKING ON THE CALIFORNIA MODEL. WE'RE TWO NATIONS NOW.
 
YOU'VE GOT TO DECIDE WHICH ONE OF THOSE TWO COUNTRIES YOU'RE GOING TO JOIN.
 
THE ONE THAT TEXAS LEADS OR CALIFORNIA LEADS. THE TEXAS GUYS ARE WINNING RIGHT
 
NOW. MY RECOMMENDATION IS THAT WAY. BUT THE WAR FOR JOBS IS NOT
 
GOING TO STOP. NOBODY IS GOING TO STOP IT. >> BOY, THOSE ARE TWO REALLY BAD
 
ALTERNATIVES. HOWEVER, I WILL ALSO TOAST, MORE SINCERE NOTION, PEOPLE WORKING
 
FOR THE RENOVATION AND REJUVENATION OF SOUTH KANSAS CITY.
 
I MET WITH TWO THIS WEEK, LOU AUSTIN AND WHITNEY KERR SENIOR, AND THEY HAVE PART OF A PLAN
 
THAT INCLUDES COMMUTER RAIL, TRANSPORTATION AS PART OF THE A LINK TO HAVE MORE BUSINESSES
 
DOWN THERE, MORE HOUSING, AND BETTER NEIGHBORHOODS. THAT'S SOMETHING TO WATCH,
 
BECAUSE SOUTH KANSAS CITY HAS BEEN IGNORED FAR TOO LONG IN THE WHOLE DEBATE ABOUT HOW TO
 
IMPROVE KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI. >>> FEN BOWLERS WHO WAS A LONG TIME THE KANSAS CITY STAR'S
 
PRINCIPAL REPORTER IN JOHNSON COUNTY HAS KIND OF FALLEN UPON HARD TIMES.
 
FEN HAS MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY AND NOW TYPE 1 DIABETES. HE WAS DOING PRETTY WELL, HAD A
 
GOOD CASE MANAGER, ALL OF THIS MANAGED LOCALLY BY THE JOHNSON COUNTY AND THE STATE, AND
 
SKILLED NURSING CARE, BECAUSE HE BREATHES THROUGH A VENTILATOR. WELL, IN THE SO-CALLED BROWNBACK
 
TRANSITION TO PRIVATE INSURANCE COMPANY CARE, HE GOT DROPPED, AND ALMOST SUFFERED SOME VERY
 
DIRE CONSEQUENCES WERE IT NOT FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE BARBARA BULYA AND THE PRAIRIE VILLAGE
 
POST WHO FLEW INTO ACTION AND HIS WIFE WHO GOT HIM EMERGENCY HELP SO THAT HE DIDN'T SUFFER
 
THE CONSEQUENCES OF NOT HAVING HEALTH CARE OVER THE HOLIDAYS. SO NOT KAN CARE OFF TO A VERY
 
ROUGH START. >>> A TOAST TO THE KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI CITY COUNCIL FOR
 
PASSING VOTING TO PUT A BALLOT MEASURE FORWARD TO EXTEND THE HEALTH LEVY FOR KANSAS CITY AT A
 
TIME WHEN THE STATE OF MISSOURI IS MOST LIKELY NOT TO EXPAND MEDICAID.
 
THIS IS AN IMPORTANT MEASURE TO INSURE THAT INDIGENT RESIDENTS OF KANSAS CITY ARE STILL ABLE TO
 
ACCESS QUALITY HEALTH CARE. >>> AND FINALLY, LAKE SUPERIOR STATE UNIVERSITY HAS ISSUED ITS
 
ANALYST OF WORDS THAT HAVE BEEN OVERUSED AND SHOULD BE BANNED IN THE NEW YEAR.
 
THE LIST INCLUDES JOB CREATOR, KICK THE CAN DOWN THE ROAD, DOUBLE DOWN, SPOILER ALERT,
 
BUCKET LIST, AND TRENTING, AND PERSONALLY, I THINK THE LIST IS AWESOME.
 
>> SERIOUSLY? >> SERIOUSLY. AND THAT'S RUCKUS FOR THIS WEEK.
 
MORE LOCAL PUBLIC AFFAIRS DISCUSSIONS COMING UP FRIDAY AT 7:30 WITH NICK HAINES AND KANSAS
 
CITY WEEK IN REVIEW. NOW, ON BEHALF OF THE RUCKETTES AND THE RUCKUS CREW, I'M MIKE
 
Captioning provided by Caption Associates, LLC www.captionassociates.com